Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes

V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes Intake, exhaust, tunes, other bolt-ons.

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
Adam @ Range

Drives: 2011 Tahoe, 1971 Corvette
Range AFM Disable Reviews / Questions

Hey guys. I wanted to start a new thread talking about user results and questions about the product.

I have already gotten a couple about useage which I'll answer here.

I keep my Range plugged in all the time. It has power on, power off logic and will not drain the battery. Also, while we recommend plugging and unplugging it while the vehicle is OFF, I do it while driving all the time (definition, about 100 times, at least). Our engineering team would prefer if you wouldn't do that.

Please ask any questions you have and let others know what you think...

Thanks for the support!!

Adam
Adam @ Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
Forty5th

Drives: Camaro
Good luck, Adam. I'm also eager to read user reviews, FAQs and Q&A's. Looks like you have a nice product for the Camaro5 community.

First few questions from a consumer peace of mind and satisfaction standpoint: what's the product warranty & coverage, and is there a money back guarantee?
Forty5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock
Good question. I was going to ask the same thing. As for money back guarantee there is a 90 day money back guarantee according to the website.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
funnyfuel

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS
I can tell you this much. It absolutely works. Seriously, it feels like I traded the dealership for a different car.
funnyfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock
I wonder if someone can post a video?

I for one know i asked the question a while back regarding a video of how AFM sounds with an exhaust. I only found one which was a good attempt but very poor quality. The video now should be from when some is parked shifts into D and accelerates normal in their neighbood to see how AFM does not kick in. Not sure if any would be interested in this. Just something i think about when i leave my house in my block and stupid AFM kicks in. Lol i wonder what my neighbors think. Just a thought.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
jeffswhitess

Drives: 2010 ss2 white w/gold stripes
The more info we get the better I feel about this.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
Adam @ Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty5th View Post
Good luck, Adam. I'm also eager to read user reviews, FAQs and Q&A's. Looks like you have a nice product for the Camaro5 community.

First few questions from a consumer peace of mind and satisfaction standpoint: what's the product warranty & coverage, and is there a money back guarantee?
100% money back guarantee. It says 90 days on the site - but if you are unhappy, I'm going to refund your money. You don't build great businesses with crappy customer service.

Adam
Old 03-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
Adam @ Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGUNNER View Post
I wonder if someone can post a video?

I for one know i asked the question a while back regarding a video of how AFM sounds with an exhaust. I only found one which was a good attempt but very poor quality. The video now should be from when some is parked shifts into D and accelerates normal in their neighbood to see how AFM does not kick in. Not sure if any would be interested in this. Just something i think about when i leave my house in my block and stupid AFM kicks in. Lol i wonder what my neighbors think. Just a thought.
This is a good idea. I'll try to steal a Camaro this week from my dealer and work my GoPro out.

Adam
Old 03-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
Mr pogo

Drives: 96 Imp SS, 13 Camaro 2SS AGM
I have a question.
I know GM has added different circuits to the obd2 port depending on the model/year.
does this device in any way change or affect the trans shifting parameters?
I ask because I remember the kits back in the day that used a resistor to change the maf reading so the trans would shift firmer and that your product somehow changes signals to keep AFM disabled.
Mr pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
oklapike

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary SS Coupe
So, there was another question asked in another thread, and I'm sure that member PMed to ask his question. However, I'd like to know too: How long is the Camaro5 discount good for?
oklapike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
PalmerGA Initial Review

Good morning all. Sorry for the delay in my (unscientific) review. I picked up the Range AFM Disable device Saturday AM and had a chance to check it out in the afternoon. Hope the below is helpful. Remember... (as I have asked before) if you have particular scenarios tested that are not covered in this Initial Review, please PM me and I will try to help you out.

Also remember... I have no affiliation with Range Technologies and am receiving no pay or promise of future benefits for doing this. I did receive a free device, but that is just because I was first to respond when Adam offered it. Thank you.

===============================

REVIEW: Range Technology V8 Camaro Active Fuel Management (AFM) Disable Device

This review is intended to provide non-scientific test results of the operational effectiveness of the Range Technology AFM Disable device for the 5th Generation Chevrolet Camaro (V8 only) equipped with 6.2L engine and automatic transmission (L99). Vehicle tested was a 2013 1SS L99 Coupe with 1,875 miles, running on high (93) octane Shell V-Power gasoline. That said, I am providing the following results broken down into two main categories: Device Installation and Performance.

1. Device Installation was a very simple process. The device plugs directly into the On Board Diagnostics (OBD-II) port, located under the dash in the driver’s compartment. The port is to the left of the Hood Release lever (see photo). The device can only be plugged in one way so it should not be a problem for anyone to install.
NOTE: I installed the device with the ignition in the full OFF position, even though no directions provided stated to do it that way – just made sense to me. I will neither plug in nor unplug the device with the ignition on.
Name:  new-1.jpg
Views: 7127
Size:  16.6 KB

Recommendation to vendor(s): The installation instructions provided are on the back of a business card, as you know. When I opened the box (very nice and professional packaging by the way) the card was horizontal and slipped down between the outer and inner packaging and I really only found it by mistake. I suggest placing the card vertically between the packaging (see photo) so it is easily visible to the customer. Installation may be a no-brainer to those who know their Camaros inside and out but many Camaro owners are novices, at best, and may not know where the OBD port is located.
Name:  new-2.JPG
Views: 7151
Size:  15.6 KB

2. Vehicle Performance tests were conducted to cover a variety of scenarios. Several times I requested that C5 members send me their particular scenarios that they would like me to test. Unfortunately, only one person PM’d me with a request for a specific scenario. Therefore, I tried to cover all the conditions where the AFM might be an issue in hopes that my review would be sufficient to assist potential buyers of the device, based on performance alone. The following is my review of those scenarios.

NOTE: None of these tests were performed at Wide Open Throttle (WOT) since I do not believe AFM is an issue under WOT.

1st Scenario - Engine start up. Nothing fancy here. I installed the device and cranked the engine up, looking for any signs of a Check Engine Light (CEL) or any other out of the ordinary indications. Nothing. All systems normal. I didn’t even know the device was there other than the pretty blue light it cast on my left foot (suggest you offer different colors for those who have colored foot lighting) - not an issue for me.

2nd Scenario – In Drive Mode, normal acceleration, flat road. Engine operation smooth. Shifts smooth. No lag. No issues. *This is one scenario where I sometimes feel a lag around 3rd or 4th gear shift. Don’t know if it’s the AFM trying to kick in or not, but I did not experience it during the test.

3rd Scenario – In Sport Mode, normal acceleration, flat road. Engine operation smooth. Shifts typically crisp for Sport Mode. No lag. No issues.

4th Scenario – In Manual Mode (Paddle shifting 1 thru 6), normal acceleration, flat road. Engine operation smooth. Shifts at slightly above rpm range of Sport Mode. Typical responsiveness. No lag. No issues.

5th Scenario – In Drive Mode, hard acceleration, flat road. Engine operation smooth. Smooth shifts. No lag. No issues.

6th Scenario – In Sport Mode, hard acceleration, flat road. Engine operation smooth. Shifts typically crisp for Sport Mode. No lag. No issues.

7th Scenario – In Manual Mode (Paddle shifting 1 thru 6), hard acceleration, flat road. Engine operation smooth. Shifts in the 4K rpm range. Typical responsiveness. No lag. No issues.

The following scenarios are ones that would more likely cause the AFM to kick in. Tests were conducted both with and without Cruise Control set within the mph range tested. Each scenario included a ¼ mile or so of sustained speed and then acceleration of the type that would normally cause a driver to “feel” the affects of the AMF system.

8th Scenario – In Drive Mode, Low speed operation (25-45 mph). Engine operation smooth. At various cruise speeds, no feel or sound of AFM present. With slight acceleration, no feel or sound of AFM present. No lag. No issues.

9th Scenario – In Drive Mode, Medium speed operation (50-65 mph). Engine operation smooth. At various cruise speeds, no feel or sound of AFM present. With slight acceleration, no feel or sound of AFM present. No lag. No issues.

10th Scenario – In Drive Mode, Higher speed operation (70-85 mph). Engine operation smooth. At various cruise speeds, no feel or sound of AFM present. With moderate acceleration, no feel or sound of AFM present. No lag. No issues.

I also performed similar test scenarios to 8, 9, and 10 (with Cruise Control on) going up and down some small hills to see what it felt like when the car downshifted on its own, to maintain the cruise speed. Going uphill, the transmission downshifted in all three speed ranges and I could not sense and hesitation of involvement of the AFM system. Apparently the downhills were nor severe enough to warrant a downshift, so no results are reported.

Summary: I was very satisfied with the performance of the device, when I was performing a test scenario that I know from experience would have caused the AFM to activate – it did not. I believe from a performance standpoint, the Range Technology AFM Disable Device performs “as advertised”. It was nice not to feel as though there was any lack of power (4 cylinder mode) and acceleration from a cruise status was crisp and non-hesitant. I will continue putting myself in different situations that (without the device) would likely engage the AFM system, and report any additional findings. Meanwhile, if any C5 Forum Members can come up with other scenarios that I have not covered, please PM me and I will attempt to test it. Again – no WOT or drag racing requests. I do not beat my car. Thanks you all. Hope this is helpful.
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Heritage Grille
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
funnyfuel

Summary: I was very satisfied with the performance of the device, when I was performing a test scenario that I know from experience would have caused the AFM to activate – it did not. I believe from a performance standpoint, the Range Technology AFM Disable Device performs “as advertised”. It was nice not to feel as though there was any lack of power (4 cylinder mode) and acceleration from a cruise status was crisp and non-hesitant. I will continue putting myself in different situations that (without the device) would likely engage the AFM system, and report any additional findings. Meanwhile, if any C5 Forum Members can come up with other scenarios that I have not covered, please PM me and I will attempt to test it. Again – no WOT or drag racing requests. I do not beat my car. Thanks you all. Hope this is helpful.[/QUOTE]
Nice review Palmer. I could not have said it better myself. I am just pleased to be able to drive in V8 mode only when in D. I am sure I will continue to use the paddles occasionally. But the drives I take around here, AI know exactly where AFM kicks in, and now it absolutely does not. No more vibration, no more weird exhaust sound.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #13
Forty5th

^^ THANKS for your feedback, PalmerGA and funnyfuel. Looks like the product functions for its intended use (no AFM at all times) but please do let us know if you experience any adverse conditions, even minor, and if you can determine if it's related or possibly related or unrelated to the Range product. I suggest to also keep a log on a daily basis since it's the long-term experience many of us are also interested in.

If anyone who has an aftermarket exhaust and also tries this product please promptly post your feedback. AFM is typically much more noticeable with a just catback exhaust mod on their L99.

With these types of postive feedback, maybe it's time to order one....
Old 03-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #14
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Good morning all. Sorry for the delay in my (unscientific) review. I picked up the Range AFM Disable device Saturday AM and had a chance to check it out in the afternoon. Hope the below is helpful. Remember... (as I have asked before) if you have particular scenarios tested that are not covered in this Initial Review, please PM me and I will try to help you out.

Also remember... I have no affiliation with Range Technologies and am receiving no pay or promise of future benefits for doing this. I did receive a free device, but that is just because I was first to respond when Adam offered it. Thank you.

===============================

REVIEW: Range Technology V8 Camaro Active Fuel Management (AFM) Disable Device

This review is intended to provide non-scientific test results of the operational effectiveness of the Range Technology AFM Disable device for the 5th Generation Chevrolet Camaro (V8 only) equipped with 6.2L engine and automatic transmission (L99). Vehicle tested was a 2013 1SS L99 Coupe with 1,875 miles, running on high (93) octane Shell V-Power gasoline. That said, I am providing the following results broken down into two main categories: Device Installation and Performance.

1. Device Installation was a very simple process. The device plugs directly into the On Board Diagnostics (OBD-II) port, located under the dash in the driver’s compartment. The port is to the left of the Hood Release lever (see photo). The device can only be plugged in one way so it should not be a problem for anyone to install.
NOTE: I installed the device with the ignition in the full OFF position, even though no directions provided stated to do it that way – just made sense to me. I will neither plug in nor unplug the device with the ignition on.
Attachment 486269

Recommendation to vendor(s): The installation instructions provided are on the back of a business card, as you know. When I opened the box (very nice and professional packaging by the way) the card was horizontal and slipped down between the outer and inner packaging and I really only found it by mistake. I suggest placing the card vertically between the packaging (see photo) so it is easily visible to the customer. Installation may be a no-brainer to those who know their Camaros inside and out but many Camaro owners are novices, at best, and may not know where the OBD port is located.
Attachment 486270

2. Vehicle Performance tests were conducted to cover a variety of scenarios. Several times I requested that C5 members send me their particular scenarios that they would like me to test. Unfortunately, only one person PM’d me with a request for a specific scenario. Therefore, I tried to cover all the conditions where the AFM might be an issue in hopes that my review would be sufficient to assist potential buyers of the device, based on performance alone. The following is my review of those scenarios.

NOTE: None of these tests were performed at Wide Open Throttle (WOT) since I do not believe AFM is an issue under WOT.

1st Scenario - Engine start up. Nothing fancy here. I installed the device and cranked the engine up, looking for any signs of a Check Engine Light (CEL) or any other out of the ordinary indications. Nothing. All systems normal. I didn’t even know the device was there other than the pretty blue light it cast on my left foot (suggest you offer different colors for those who have colored foot lighting) - not an issue for me.

2nd Scenario – In Drive Mode, normal acceleration, flat road. Engine operation smooth. Shifts smooth. No lag. No issues. *This is one scenario where I sometimes feel a lag around 3rd or 4th gear shift. Don’t know if it’s the AFM trying to kick in or not, but I did not experience it during the test.

3rd Scenario – In Sport Mode, normal acceleration, flat road. Engine operation smooth. Shifts typically crisp for Sport Mode. No lag. No issues.

4th Scenario – In Manual Mode (Paddle shifting 1 thru 6), normal acceleration, flat road. Engine operation smooth. Shifts at slightly above rpm range of Sport Mode. Typical responsiveness. No lag. No issues.

5th Scenario – In Drive Mode, hard acceleration, flat road. Engine operation smooth. Smooth shifts. No lag. No issues.

6th Scenario – In Sport Mode, hard acceleration, flat road. Engine operation smooth. Shifts typically crisp for Sport Mode. No lag. No issues.

7th Scenario – In Manual Mode (Paddle shifting 1 thru 6), hard acceleration, flat road. Engine operation smooth. Shifts in the 4K rpm range. Typical responsiveness. No lag. No issues.

The following scenarios are ones that would more likely cause the AFM to kick in. Tests were conducted both with and without Cruise Control set within the mph range tested. Each scenario included a ¼ mile or so of sustained speed and then acceleration of the type that would normally cause a driver to “feel” the affects of the AMF system.

8th Scenario – In Drive Mode, Low speed operation (25-45 mph). Engine operation smooth. At various cruise speeds, no feel or sound of AFM present. With slight acceleration, no feel or sound of AFM present. No lag. No issues.

9th Scenario – In Drive Mode, Medium speed operation (50-65 mph). Engine operation smooth. At various cruise speeds, no feel or sound of AFM present. With slight acceleration, no feel or sound of AFM present. No lag. No issues.

10th Scenario – In Drive Mode, Higher speed operation (70-85 mph). Engine operation smooth. At various cruise speeds, no feel or sound of AFM present. With moderate acceleration, no feel or sound of AFM present. No lag. No issues.

I also performed similar test scenarios to 8, 9, and 10 (with Cruise Control on) going up and down some small hills to see what it felt like when the car downshifted on its own, to maintain the cruise speed. Going uphill, the transmission downshifted in all three speed ranges and I could not sense and hesitation of involvement of the AFM system. Apparently the downhills were nor severe enough to warrant a downshift, so no results are reported.

Summary: I was very satisfied with the performance of the device, when I was performing a test scenario that I know from experience would have caused the AFM to activate – it did not. I believe from a performance standpoint, the Range Technology AFM Disable Device performs “as advertised”. It was nice not to feel as though there was any lack of power (4 cylinder mode) and acceleration from a cruise status was crisp and non-hesitant. I will continue putting myself in different situations that (without the device) would likely engage the AFM system, and report any additional findings. Meanwhile, if any C5 Forum Members can come up with other scenarios that I have not covered, please PM me and I will attempt to test it. Again – no WOT or drag racing requests. I do not beat my car. Thanks you all. Hope this is helpful.
Thanks for this Palmer.. You've pretty much covered all the scenarios I would have asked you to.

Scenario 8 and 9 were my main interests.

I may be overly sensitive, but I can feel it go into 4 cylc mode when my hand is on the gear shift in scenarios 8/9. There is an EVER so slight vibration that goes away when I tap the gas to bring it out of 4 cyl mode. And of courst the lag+fart.

This appears to bring the best of both worlds here! AFM when you want it.. NO AFM when not wanted. Long trips on the highway, AFM probably won't bother me and if I get an extra mile or two per gallon.. great! Normal daily driving around town .. NO AFM.. woot!

FWIW - skeptic that I am.. after reading a couple of the initial reviews I went ahead and ordered one yesterday. Looking forward to delivery!

I'm confident this does not manipulate the "flash" of the ECM which would be detectable in a powertrain warranty condition.

The one little nagging concern I have is long term. Since we don't know exactly what values are being manipulated to defeat AFM ( and no.. I'm not asking Range to divulge this information) I don't know if this may cause any powertrain/engine issues down the road.

I've ordered it and am willing to take that risk.

Last edited by cam62; 03-17-2013 at 09:28 AM.
cam62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #15
Forty5th

One more request for those that have one already... Unplug it for a day, drive and assess if your car performs normal, AFM turns on, etc... just to assure that the product only works when plugged-in thus AFM was not permanently disabled or ECM flashed. Just a thought... Thanks!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #16
cam62

Quote:
One more request for those that have one already... Unplug it for a day, drive and assess if your car performs normal, AFM turns on, etc... just to assure that the product only works when plugged-in thus AFM was not permanently disabled or ECM flashed. Just a thought... Thanks!
Good test!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #17
PalmerGA

Quote:
I did that on my test drive yesterday. Performed my test scenarios, then turned off the car, unplugged the device, started the car and ran it through the 25-50 mph range to see if the AFM would kick in - and it did. Tried it several times - AFM activated each time. Stopped the car, plugged in the device and continued with more tests.

It's in right now and when I get home this evening I will unplug it and drive it for a while Monday and Tuesday (weather permitting) to double-check AFM operation. (Good idea).
RX Catch Can
Heritage Grille
Old 03-17-2013, 09:50 AM   #18
funnyfuel

It's in right now and when I get home this evening I will unplug it and drive it for a while Monday and Tuesday (weather permitting) to double-check AFM operation. (Good idea).[/QUOTE]

Hey Palmer, it's pretty cool though huh? I am in love with my car all over again. I mean, it's just better and more convenient.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #19
craigk777

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2SS/RS
Great write up, Palmer. Thanks for taking the time to write a in depth evaluation.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #20
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: RED DEMON!
Thanks to all you guys giving all of us an unbiased review of this product, and we are all glad the product is performing as Adam has stated in the past!
Old 03-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #21
Fish-man
SS HWSE

Drives: too many to say!
Anyone of the reviewers want to verify the "non-traceability"? Take it to a dealer perhaps... assuming you can get it done for nothing or cheap
Fish-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #22
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-man View Post
Anyone of the reviewers want to verify the "non-traceability"? Take it to a dealer perhaps... assuming you can get it done for nothing or cheap
I was asked this by another C5 member. Kind of tricky for me, as I don't have a personal relationship with my dealer's maintenance folks - at least not to the point where I could just ask them to check for traceability. After racking up some miles with the device on, removing and replacing it and so forth, I may come up with a made up reason to bring it in and have them do a diagnostic (like faking some kind of transmission issue), but I'm not sure I feel real good about doing that. Their time is valuable and I'd hate to keep someone with a REAL problem waiting because of this. We'll see.
RX Catch Can
Heritage Grille
Old 03-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #23
cam62

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
I was asked this by another C5 member. Kind of tricky for me, as I don't have a personal relationship with my dealer's maintenance folks - at least not to the point where I could just ask them to check for traceability. After racking up some miles with the device on, removing and replacing it and so forth, I may come up with a made up reason to bring it in and have them do a diagnostic (like faking some kind of transmission issue), but I'm not sure I feel real good about doing that. Their time is valuable and I'd hate to keep someone with a REAL problem waiting because of this. We'll see.
I wouldn't condone lying to a service department.

I'm sure we can find a tuner (independant source, might have to pay a bit though) here who can view the ECM and see if any permanent modifications were made. Simply viewing the ECM settings will not increment the flash counter. The only problem I see with that is this device will cut into their business since part of a tune is generally to turn off AFM.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #24
funnyfuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-man View Post
Personally, I don't plan on ever visiting the dealer for anything. At least that's my plan. I have 137,000 miles on a 2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, and the only warranty work it has ever seen was a cd player that didn't work when it was brand new, and a broken tailgate latch internal part. Anyway, I stay away from dealerships as much as possible.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #25
cam62

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnyfuel View Post
Personally, I don't plan on ever visiting the dealer for anything. At least that's my plan. I have 137,000 miles on a 2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, and the only warranty work it has ever seen was a cd player that didn't work when it was brand new, and a broken tailgate latch internal part. Anyway, I stay away from dealerships as much as possible.
Then why didn't you just get a tune?
With a tune generally AFM is disabled, transmission settings for performance and bump up the horsepower all in one shot for not much more than this device costs.
This device is perfect for us who don't want to potentially void our powertrain warranties but HATE the AFM.