Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #251
Stex

 
Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South texas
Posts: 786
The z28 of the 60s was not priced out of reach of a Camaro v8 buyer of that day...This one will be 20 grand over a base SS...also the z28 then was more street friendly...this one is track strong and not that many non trackers will pop for the extra $$s
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #252
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z51 or a 2014 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,079
You could spend more than 2X the price of a base V8 on a 69' Z28. A loaded Z28 was 2cnd in price to only the ZL1 in 1969. Have you ever driven a 69' Z28? That M22 had a very heavy clutch. This Z28 will be easy to drive, however I do agree it will need AC for me.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #253
Dinosoar
 
Drives: 2008 Ford Mustang GT
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 10
Nail on the head

Chevy hit the freaking nail square on the head. This car is awesome. Would love to see it be a "real" lightweight body (3800lbs is joke), but those ceramic brakes and that 427 will work at the track all weekend long. Can't wait for pricing.
Dinosoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #254
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,041
Y'all DO realize that a '69 Camaro SS 396 with Automatic, full Power, and A/C weighed 3800 lbs...dontcha?

This "thing" about weight...the LS7 puts out more REAL power than the '69 ZL1 engine made...

The Basic Laws of Physics...and modern tire tech and electronics...will overcome a LOT! Put away the rose-colored glasses.
__________________
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #255
Yeti
 
Yeti's Avatar
 
Drives: Summit White RS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: IL
Posts: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
If you work hard you can be rich and buy anything you want... everybody has that opportunity.
I disagree with this line. Rest of it seems fair though.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:52 PM   #256
Michael2000
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
They have that already. It's called a 1LE.
OK, a 1LE with an LS7.

Michael
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #257
Michael2000
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
One would be wise not to over generalize. Hard work does not guarantee wealth, and not everyone has the opportunity to become wealthy. In fact, for most in the U.S., except a very small percentage at the very top, economic success has become more difficult to achieve over the last four decades than it was in the quarter century immediately following WWII.
Compared to the majority of the world it does. Most people have nothing. The laziest people in the U.S. have cell phones.

Michael
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #258
Hylton


 
Hylton's Avatar
 
Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 7,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post
Compared to the majority of the world it does. Most people have nothing. The laziest people in the U.S. have cell phones.

Michael
That's a good point. I can tell you stories. Ask a military vet how the other half lives.
__________________
"BBOMG - More than just a car show.... It's an experience!"
Hylton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #259
DRKS1D3

 
DRKS1D3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible LS3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,784
I don't know why I keep coming back to this thread. As for the comments of "the entitled society", that's not it at all. Excuses are not an option! I believe in: "If you work hard enough, you can do anything you want". I did. A's in school, college degree from PITT, now I'm an engineer. Bust it hard...do as you please. Simply put, most of the people "complaining" on here, are just surprised that this thing is going to cost upwards of $70k. I don't think many expected that. I know I didn't. I expected a $50k, souped up SS. Hey, it's not a $50k car and that's fine. The car is still awesome! I'm just not as willing to shell out $70k OR MORE for this car. To each his own! Chevy made a complete BEAST.
__________________
MY RIDE: 2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE (LS3)--K&N TYPHOON INTAKE, FLOWMASTER FORCE II EXHAUST, HYPERTECH MAX ENERGY 93 OCTANE TUNE, HOTCHKIS SUSPENSION, BLACKED OUT BOWTIES, GLOSS BLACK 20x9 STYLE 41 WHEELS

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:28 AM   #260
He11bent
 
He11bent's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS 'vert
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolFan66 View Post
If you add all the other crap then it's not a true Z/28..

.....and just as fake if GM put in all the luxury crap..
The "true Z28" didn't even come with posi...it was an option. I just dont see how the radio became a part of the performance discussion.
__________________
\(^^^)/ <--A Smile From He11

New Era OTR Intake
RX Catch Can
Escort 9500ix w/Firewire
Garmin GPS Hardwire
Peddlers Stage 1 Radius Rod Bush Inserts
Oracle Plasma Halo DRLs
He11bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:10 AM   #261
Bad@ssCamaro
Ist State Chevy Supporter
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 1SS/1LE...in 2014
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 4,937
Thank you everyone for contributing your thoughts and passions on this thread, it will serve as an educational footing coming from the men who have lived and breathed all things Camaro
__________________
Former Camaros: (gone but not forgotten)
1976 LT Black/Black 305 V8 (Bone Stock)
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Next Camaro:
CRT 1SS/RS/1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #262
GearheadSS
Member #63
 
GearheadSS's Avatar
 
Drives: Lots
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas/Greenville, Texas
Posts: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post
OK, a 1LE with an LS7.

Michael
Lucky for you, they offer a crate LS7 that can be dropped right in. GM has everything you need to swap an LS7 into a 1LE. Have at it!
__________________
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #263
DrkPhx

 
DrkPhx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Michael, MN
Posts: 907
I think GM hit a home run with this car. However, it would have been nice if they called the full race version the Z/28 Heritage Edition and also introduced a more streetable version (Z28 1LE) for the masses with the key performance options and some creature comforts to allow for DD.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #264
flht99b

 
flht99b's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Knoxville
Posts: 1,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinosoar View Post
Chevy hit the freaking nail square on the head. This car is awesome. Would love to see it be a "real" lightweight body (3800lbs is joke), but those ceramic brakes and that 427 will work at the track all weekend long. Can't wait for pricing.
Chevy builds or built this car, it's called a Z06. And it has creature comforts like A/C and a good audio system. I seriously doubt the new Z/28 at 3800 lbs can run with a like tire shod 3200 lbs Z06 on a road course, just the laws of physics. I can't wait to hear the complaints about the '14 Z/28 tires and brakes in real street use, they are far more race oriented than the ZL-1. Now anyone that has actually driven a Z06 on an extended trip on real street roads ( I have ) will tell you this is one uncomfortable car over extended seat times on the street. It is noisy, rough and even feels crude at times until the speedo gets into the triple digit range. The C6 Z06 is/was a track car with luxury amenities to satisfy the aging demographics of Corvette owners, bragging rights about a 427 cu.in. 505hp Corvette. Unfortunately most Z06's are garage queens and only see occasional duty carting golf clubs on the weekends. I really wanted the new Z/28 ( had 2 - '69's and a '79 ) BUT after seeing the 2014 Z/28, I'd rather spend the cash on a 1 or 2 year old Z06 and use my modded 2010 SS/RS for extended trips. Off topic but I'm curious as to where the GM engineers mounted the oil tank for the dry sump system in the 2014 Z/28. I also wonder if they finally separated the brake and clutch hydraulic systems reservoirs.
Ed M.
__________________
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, full rear cradle & diff bushings, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, Hawk HPS Brake pads, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp Cam valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR 5 timing chain, LS2 damper, CAI Cold Air Induction, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9 & 20x11 DS3 wheels w/Vredstein 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, '11 Convertible spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, GM SS Fender & LS3 Emblems.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #265
ToolFan66

 
ToolFan66's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
Overall, I think GM missed the mark on the design of this car (Z/28), even with the intention of making it primarily a track car. Most previous Z's were street worthy cars (i.e. with daily immenities INCLUDED). Deleting things to make a car lighter, just doesn't sell cars. People want all the necessitites & comforts for everyday driving, along with the performance for the track, if you choose to do that (job well done on the current ZL1).

GM should not dictate how WE will drive this car, that's the owners choice, afterall, we're the ones putting out the BIG BUCKS!
Remember who your customers are, we're everyday people, NOT race car drivers!

To hear the Z is going to cost more than the ZL1 makes ABSOLUTELY no sense at all. I would soon buy the ZL1, before even considering the Z/28; after this debut, I would soon consider upgrading to a pre 2014 ZL1.

In conclusion, I hope that GM really steps back and considers these public reviews, takes them seriously, and makes better choices for the 6th Gen Camaro. If they screw up the 6th Gen design, we can kiss the Camaro name good-bye...this time FOREVER!

LOL!!! you have no clue do you? The #1 selling sports car the last three years and running.. They will sell every one of these cars just as fast as the COPO's with or without you and the rest of the haters in this thread..

As someone said earlier in this thread. this car could come with the bare floors and they would sell every one of them..
__________________
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #266
IOMZL1

 
IOMZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 1991 Z28; 2008 SRT 10 Viper Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 913
For those who want more creature comforts you have the ZL1, 1LE, and SS. Anyone complaining about how this car is stripped down – you are not in the target audience; show's over - nothing to see here. In my eyes this car is FULLY LOADED.
__________________


Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand. Ignorance, prejudice, and fear walk hand in hand...

http://dougshelbyengineering.com/Viper.html
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #267
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
Chevy builds or built this car, it's called a Z06. And it has creature comforts like A/C and a good audio system. I seriously doubt the new Z/28 at 3800 lbs can run with a like tire shod 3200 lbs Z06 on a road course, just the laws of physics. I can't wait to hear the complaints about the '14 Z/28 tires and brakes in real street use, they are far more race oriented than the ZL-1. Now anyone that has actually driven a Z06 on an extended trip on real street roads ( I have ) will tell you this is one uncomfortable car over extended seat times on the street. It is noisy, rough and even feels crude at times until the speedo gets into the triple digit range. The C6 Z06 is/was a track car with luxury amenities to satisfy the aging demographics of Corvette owners, bragging rights about a 427 cu.in. 505hp Corvette. Unfortunately most Z06's are garage queens and only see occasional duty carting golf clubs on the weekends. I really wanted the new Z/28 ( had 2 - '69's and a '79 ) BUT after seeing the 2014 Z/28, I'd rather spend the cash on a 1 or 2 year old Z06 and use my modded 2010 SS/RS for extended trips. Off topic but I'm curious as to where the GM engineers mounted the oil tank for the dry sump system in the 2014 Z/28. I also wonder if they finally separated the brake and clutch hydraulic systems reservoirs.
Ed M.
There's a lil bit more to it than simply the Laws of Physics, but 600 lbs. is certainly a mitigating circumstance. However, sometimes the end product is MORE than the sum of its parts. And the GT500, for one, will find that out at the nearest Walmart/K-Mart/slalom/autocross/road course...

Since that 662 hp monster is going to be overcome by the next-Gen Mustang glacier, what could Dearborn possibly have up their sleeve for a head-to-head next April??
__________________
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #268
Forty5th
 
Forty5th's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
Overall, I think GM missed the mark on the design of this car (Z/28), even with the intention of making it primarily a track car. Most previous Z's were street worthy cars (i.e. with daily immenities INCLUDED). Deleting things to make a car lighter, just doesn't sell cars. People want all the necessitites & comforts for everyday driving, along with the performance for the track, if you choose to do that (job well done on the current ZL1).

GM should not dictate how WE will drive this car, that's the owners choice, afterall, we're the ones putting out the BIG BUCKS!
Remember who your customers are, we're everyday people, NOT race car drivers!

To hear the Z is going to cost more than the ZL1 makes ABSOLUTELY no sense at all. I would soon buy the ZL1, before even considering the Z/28; after this debut, I would soon consider upgrading to a pre 2014 ZL1.

In conclusion, I hope that GM really steps back and considers these public reviews, takes them seriously, and makes better choices for the 6th Gen Camaro. If they screw up the 6th Gen design, we can kiss the Camaro name good-bye...this time FOREVER!


Times change; objectives change; what was present decades ago doesn't need to be 100% replicated nowadays. Be glad that GM engineers made the '14 Camaro Perfomance lineup quite enticing with a spectrum of choices... Z/28 > ZL1 > 1LE > SS > LFX... if it's clear the Z isn't for you, then just move on to your next option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolFan66 View Post
LOL!!! you have no clue do you? The #1 selling sports car the last three years and running.. They will sell every one of these cars just as fast as the COPO's with or without you and the rest of the haters in this thread..

As someone said earlier in this thread. this car could come with the bare floors and they would sell every one of them..
Forty5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #269
MR 45TH
 
Drives: 45th 2SS Vert
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Southampton PA
Posts: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
Overall, I think GM missed the mark on the design of this car (Z/28), even with the intention of making it primarily a track car. Most previous Z's were street worthy cars (i.e. with daily immenities INCLUDED). Deleting things to make a car lighter, just doesn't sell cars. People want all the necessitites & comforts for everyday driving, along with the performance for the track, if you choose to do that (job well done on the current ZL1).

GM should not dictate how WE will drive this car, that's the owners choice, afterall, we're the ones putting out the BIG BUCKS!
Remember who your customers are, we're everyday people, NOT race car drivers!

To hear the Z is going to cost more than the ZL1 makes ABSOLUTELY no sense at all. I would soon buy the ZL1, before even considering the Z/28; after this debut, I would soon consider upgrading to a pre 2014 ZL1.

In conclusion, I hope that GM really steps back and considers these public reviews, takes them seriously, and makes better choices for the 6th Gen Camaro. If they screw up the 6th Gen design, we can kiss the Camaro name good-bye...this time FOREVER!
Couldn't agree more!
__________________
MR 45TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #270
GearheadSS
Member #63
 
GearheadSS's Avatar
 
Drives: Lots
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas/Greenville, Texas
Posts: 1,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUALO View Post
Overall, I think GM missed the mark on the design of this car (Z/28), even with the intention of making it primarily a track car. Most previous Z's were street worthy cars (i.e. with daily immenities INCLUDED). Deleting things to make a car lighter, just doesn't sell cars. People want all the necessitites & comforts for everyday driving, along with the performance for the track, if you choose to do that (job well done on the current ZL1).

GM should not dictate how WE will drive this car, that's the owners choice, afterall, we're the ones putting out the BIG BUCKS!
Remember who your customers are, we're everyday people, NOT race car drivers!

To hear the Z is going to cost more than the ZL1 makes ABSOLUTELY no sense at all. I would soon buy the ZL1, before even considering the Z/28; after this debut, I would soon consider upgrading to a pre 2014 ZL1.

In conclusion, I hope that GM really steps back and considers these public reviews, takes them seriously, and makes better choices for the 6th Gen Camaro. If they screw up the 6th Gen design, we can kiss the Camaro name good-bye...this time FOREVER!
Again, they offer Camaros that can de driven daily with plenty of amenities. You're focusing too much on the Z28 name and are used to what it was for almost 30 years, just a Camaro with a V8 and some suspension upgrades. That's not what the Z28 started life as though.

If you all had your way, then GM would not even build this car because they already have cars in the lineup that are exactly what you're asking for, they just don't say Z28 on the fenders and decklid.
__________________
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #271
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 17,659
Like I said a year or two ago, I knew if they brought the Z/28 back there would be many that would love it but more wouldn't because its not their idea what a Z/28 should be.
Reflecting back on all the changes to the 2014 models many don't like it because the changes are not what they wanted to see. It's human nature.

But its Chevys ball and they can play any game they want with it. You can play along with them or find something else to play with.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #272
KSCamaro
 
Drives: Still Looking
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Abingdon, VA
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
But its Chevys ball and they can play any game they want with it. You can play along with them or find something else to play with.
I don't think anyone disputes that, I certainly agree with you.
After the recent unveil, it's time to move on and look elsewhere for a ride.
KSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #273
GM4lyfe
A GM nut-swinger!
 
GM4lyfe's Avatar
 
Drives: A Car
Join Date: May 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by flht99b View Post
Off topic but I'm curious as to where the GM engineers mounted the oil tank for the dry sump system in the 2014 Z/28. .
Ed M.
If you check out the under hood shots of the Z/28 its located in front of the engine. Between the intake and fuse box.
__________________
2004 GTO Quicksilver
2009 G8 Liquid Red
2005 CTS-V Black Raven
GM4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #274
zl1fun
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 # 1029 black
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Peoria, IL
Posts: 74
As previously stated ...several times......THERE IS A CAMARO FOR EVERY TYPE OF DRIVER! The new z28 looks to be a bad ass track car! LOVE IT!! If you want more creature features.....buy a ZL1 or a caddy.... Frankly, I wish they would make a stripped down ZL1 with less weight.I guess I could remove some of the interior and bust out the side and back windows and replace them with plastic and titanium ...but I prefer to make mine lighter by burning off several gallons of fuel and running on an 1/8 tank...remember that....never fill up.....6 lbs (roughly) per gallon and your friend next to you....200 lbs plus....sub thump box..etc...off subject...sorry
zl1fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #275
ToolFan66

 
ToolFan66's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,099
GM could throw the Z/28 name plate on the ZL1 and these guys would still cry about how they can't have one..
__________________
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.