Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #12526
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It's a sobering though...selling one of these. It's the right, smart, and responsible decision...which is why you're a good husband and Dad.

...but I'm confident you'll be in another one, soon - Chris...that truck just won't feel the same after a while.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #12527
GTAHVIT
Blessed
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Otherwise, what fodder would we have for all those "the one that got away" car stories we'll tell our grandkids?!

Best of Luck!
Lol boy ain't that the truth.

And thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
....yes, easy come, easy go I say.....family and responsibilities come first. Toys can always be replaced later on. Rock on brother.....!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
It's a sobering though...selling one of these. It's the right, smart, and responsible decision...which is why you're a good husband and Dad.

...but I'm confident you'll be in another one, soon - Chris...that truck just won't feel the same after a while.
Well we know what Pete is going to say about the truck. Lol

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #12528
LOWDOWN
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Well we know what Pete is going to say about the truck. Lol

NEEDS LOWERING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #12529
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!
 
Number 3's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,268
Ok, just a few notes from vacation.

Is it really now impossible to drive somewhere and just stop and get hotel when you are tired? Left Chicago after work on Friday and started looking for a hotel in Bowling Green Kentucky. Had to drive til 4:00 am before we found a hotel in Montgomery Alabama. On the way back? FM!!!!! Started looking in Louisville Kentucky and ended up taking a 5 hour engergy and driving straight through.

Is it just me or is Zaxby's good chicken. It's now a guilty pleasure to stop at what most Southerners likely consider a cheesy fast food restaurant. Maybe it's just me but I love saying the name. Zzzzzzzzaxbeeeees. Or maybe it's just the Z. I don't know.

I think the V-22 Osprey flying low over the beach just looks BA. They apparently fly them out of Hulbert Field by Eglin AFB. Apparently AF Special Ops fly out of there. They also fly the AC-130 Spooky out of there too. FU North Korea.
__________________
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." - Aldous Huxley Link to Every Camaro photo I've taken in Hi-Resolution
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #12530
Blueclyde

 
Blueclyde's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northeast Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,382
Just went to Bama Gulf Shores with the family over Easter and the week that followed. Left from Shelby Twp and stopped in Cullman, AL on the way down. Made the reservation well in advance. On the way home we drove straight through. Third year in a row executing this plan. It's just shy of 17 hours straight though. It's always easier going straight through on the way home.
__________________
2014 ZL1, AGM, Ricaros, M6, ECF
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #12531
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!
 
Number 3's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
Just went to Bama Gulf Shores with the family over Easter and the week that followed. Left from Shelby Twp and stopped in Cullman, AL on the way down. Made the reservation well in advance. On the way home we drove straight through. Third year in a row executing this plan. It's just shy of 17 hours straight though. It's always easier going straight through on the way home.
Yes, the "we'll be home when we stop" seems to be a better motivator.
__________________
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." - Aldous Huxley Link to Every Camaro photo I've taken in Hi-Resolution
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #12532
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,312
I thought all of you would find this interesting.

CHC: Speaking again of power-to-weight ratio as sort of that all-mighty watermark of performance, are there any other ways that Chevrolet could see shaving weight from the Z/28 in the future models?

AO: “Absolutely, as I mentioned, our goal was 100 pounds and have already exceeded that. We’re approximately a year away from bringing it into production, so we’re not done yet. We are always looking for lightweight materials. To give you reference in terms of lap time, you would have to remove 250 pounds to get another second on the track and have to weigh that against another tenth of a G in lateral acceleration. I can get that same second on the track. So you have to weigh where you are going to get your lap time down and these P-ZERO Trafeo R tires are capable of a 1.05 g-max sustained lateral acceleration and we’ve already seen decel’s of 1.5 g, so we’re getting better lap times in other ways. But the 100 pounds definitely helps the lap time. We took significant chunks out as opposed to an ounce here and there, helping us on the track.”

CHC: One last question. We thought it was interesting that instead of going with the magnetic ride such as on, say the ZL-1, you went with not only a dual adjustable shock but a true racing style four-way adjustable shock. Is this technology you chose again specifically for the Z/28 or was it that you really wanted to differentiate the two cars?

AO: “We definitely picked this specifically for this application. Multimatic is the company we’re working with. They are well known for their ability to set up dampers for racing vehicles and we felt that the limitations of the mono-tubes that we’ve got in our 1-LE and, of course, the MR, while it’s awesome on the ZL-1, we didn’t feel it belonged in a Z/28 so we did go with the adjustable dampers that are in the Z-28. They’re truly, again, trying to stay with the heritage of the car. They are track designed specifically for the Z-28.”

Bonus: Do you think that soon after the production launch of the new Z-28 we will see parts and pieces of this car making its way onto scratch built cars, or in some way a program that might mimic in some way the COPO program?

AO: “That’s a great question. We’ve had that debate all the way up through GM President Mark Reuss on whether or not we want to see clones driving around on the streets, and we’ve made the decision that since offering performance parts helps sell Camaros, we’ve got a great performance parts team now under Vice President, Performance Vehicles and Motorsports Jim Campbell, who is growing that very dynamic industry. “You will see Z/28 performance parts available for other Camaros and you know specifically as far as suspension, drift, and so on, you’re going to see those parts. Some of the parts are kind of integrated into the body but we definitely plan on allowing customers to have the opportunity to get ahold of some Z/28 parts for their car.”

Thanks again to Al Oppenheiser for his time with Chevy Hardcore. This has been another segment of “Five Questions.” Stay tuned for more!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:41 PM   #12533
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ok, just a few notes from vacation.

Is it really now impossible to drive somewhere and just stop and get hotel when you are tired? Left Chicago after work on Friday and started looking for a hotel in Bowling Green Kentucky. Had to drive til 4:00 am before we found a hotel in Montgomery Alabama. On the way back? FM!!!!! Started looking in Louisville Kentucky and ended up taking a 5 hour engergy and driving straight through.

Is it just me or is Zaxby's good chicken. It's now a guilty pleasure to stop at what most Southerners likely consider a cheesy fast food restaurant. Maybe it's just me but I love saying the name. Zzzzzzzzaxbeeeees. Or maybe it's just the Z. I don't know.

I think the V-22 Osprey flying low over the beach just looks BA. They apparently fly them out of Hulbert Field by Eglin AFB. Apparently AF Special Ops fly out of there. They also fly the AC-130 Spooky out of there too. FU North Korea.
Zaxby's yuck! I'm a Chick Fil A man!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #12534
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!
 
Number 3's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Zaxby's yuck! I'm a Chick Fil A man!
Like Chick fil a too but their chicken, although high quality is just a bit bland.

Yuck? Seriously? Even starting with a Z has to count for something
__________________
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." - Aldous Huxley Link to Every Camaro photo I've taken in Hi-Resolution
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #12535
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Like Chick fil a too but their chicken, although high quality is just a bit bland.

Yuck? Seriously? Even starting with a Z has to count for something
I'll give you the "Z", but there's way more breading than chicken.
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #12536
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!
 
Number 3's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 ATS 2.0T & '14 Chevrolet SS
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 8,268
Ok just saw the new impala at the local Chevroler dealer and once again a flaming exams of how GM needs desperately how to do an elegant tail light. Bi g gaps and huge radii compared to anything else. Saw lots of new Avalons in Florida and Chevy has its hands full. The impala interior is car better than the Toyota though.

Also just an LT and it stickered at $36,000.

Impala looks real nice but my per peeve is simply a nice smooth integrated ta lamp. Is that too much to ask?
__________________
"Speed, it seems to me, provides the one genuinely modern pleasure." - Aldous Huxley Link to Every Camaro photo I've taken in Hi-Resolution
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #12537
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Ok just saw the new impala at the local Chevroler dealer and once again a flaming exams of how GM needs desperately how to do an elegant tail light. Bi g gaps and huge radii compared to anything else. Saw lots of new Avalons in Florida and Chevy has its hands full. The impala interior is car better than the Toyota though.

Also just an LT and it stickered at $36,000.

Impala looks real nice but my per peeve is simply a nice smooth integrated ta lamp. Is that too much to ask?
I agree. I'll have to see it in person.
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #12538
LOWDOWN
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,145
Multimatic, BTW, is the same company that developed the Mustang FR500s, back in '05. Out of the box that car, with their in-house driver Scott Maxwell at the tiller, won the 3-hour Daytona Sprint Friday GS race, preceding the '05 Rolex 24.

Multimatic, a division of Magna, know their stuff.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #12539
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,312
And now I believe they are racing Aston Martins in the Continental Series.
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #12540
tramtwo


 
tramtwo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I thought all of you would find this interesting.

...Some of the parts are kind of integrated into the body but we definitely plan on allowing customers to have the opportunity to get ahold of some Z/28 parts for their car.”


tramtwo posted this on the go
__________________
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #12541
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,312
^I thought that was pretty cool!
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #12542
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9
 
PYROLYSIS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Summerv1LE SC
Posts: 4,709
I'll take the air intake.
__________________
BRING BACK THE B4C POLICE CAMARO!
2002 V-6 5 speed rally red (current camaro) Also driven:1992 Z-28 305 auto Red w/ black stripes (anniversary), 2001 V-6 auto light pewter metallic,1991 RS V-6 auto Black
PYROLYSIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #12543
tramtwo


 
tramtwo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,562
I predict almost as many clones as actual first run Z/28s. That will be keeping in line with history too.

tramtwo posted this on the go
__________________
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:36 PM   #12544
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,312
That won't be cheap
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #12545
Blueclyde

 
Blueclyde's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northeast Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
I predict almost as many clones as actual first run Z/28s. That will be keeping in line with history too.

tramtwo posted this on the go
Yes it will but there will only be one way to get a Z/28.
__________________
2014 ZL1, AGM, Ricaros, M6, ECF
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #12546
Blizzard
Searching for the truth
 
Blizzard's Avatar
 
Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Macon, GA
Posts: 598
So I will hopefully have my 1LE by mid may, and I am wondering what everyone has done to protect from rock chips?

Also what are everyone's suggestions on what I should do to protect the car when I first get it.
__________________
2013 1LE 1SS RS TPW 4/29
Blizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #12547
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,312
Look at what GM started now:

"Last week GM turned a lot of heads with the surprise introduction of the 2014 Camaro Z/28, a lightweight, track-bred Camaro with a 500 horsepower LS7 engine. Muscle car enthusiasts all over the country are (for the most part) enamored with this new track-bred Camaro, though rival automakers are keen to keep this competitor in check.

This includes Chrysler, which according to Carscoops is working on a new version of the Dodge Challenger to rival the Camaro Z/28. But can the Challenger shed enough weight to be truly competitive?

If Dodge struck to the same script as Chevy, a Camaro Z/28 competitor would need to be a stripped down, de-contented Challenger that loses a lot of weight, gains a lot of power. For the Challenger, the heaviest of the three muscle car contenders at 4,371 pounds, getting under even two-tons would be a chore.

Then there is the fact that the Challenger SRT8 already has a 470 horsepower HEMI V8. To compete with the Z/28 would likely require forced induction and closer to 600 horsepower. Another option? THe Viper’s 8.4 liter V10 making 640 horsepower. But that would push the price way past the likely MSRP of the Z/28."
Attached Images
 
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:43 PM   #12548
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Look at what GM started now:

"Last week GM turned a lot of heads with the surprise introduction of the 2014 Camaro Z/28, a lightweight, track-bred Camaro with a 500 horsepower LS7 engine. Muscle car enthusiasts all over the country are (for the most part) enamored with this new track-bred Camaro, though rival automakers are keen to keep this competitor in check.

This includes Chrysler, which according to Carscoops is working on a new version of the Dodge Challenger to rival the Camaro Z/28. But can the Challenger shed enough weight to be truly competitive?

If Dodge struck to the same script as Chevy, a Camaro Z/28 competitor would need to be a stripped down, de-contented Challenger that loses a lot of weight, gains a lot of power. For the Challenger, the heaviest of the three muscle car contenders at 4,371 pounds, getting under even two-tons would be a chore.

Then there is the fact that the Challenger SRT8 already has a 470 horsepower HEMI V8. To compete with the Z/28 would likely require forced induction and closer to 600 horsepower. Another option? THe Viper’s 8.4 liter V10 making 640 horsepower. But that would push the price way past the likely MSRP of the Z/28."
There's a lot of what-ifs surrounding this Challenger.....I think it's bold and ambitious of them. And certainly Fiat/Chrysler has been putting out some good stuff recently....but I can't seem to wrap my head around the "how?"...
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #12549
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,858
I think it's cool they are going to attempt to have a go at it. They have been doing their own thing for awhile now. Big 3 to go head to head for one last go???.........wowzers.....
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #12550
tramtwo


 
tramtwo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,562
Talking yankie with a texas twang... beaaaautiful

__________________
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camaro vs House? P. Ham 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 82 05-20-2011 06:03 PM
House approves $2B more for 'cash for clunkers shank0668 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 3 07-31-2009 05:36 PM
3rd Annual Corvette Open House at MacMulkin Chevrolet-WELCOMES the ALL NEW CAMARO!! MacMulkin USA - New England 2 04-11-2009 10:16 AM
White House Approves $17.4 Billion Auto Loans to GM & Chrysler josh1147 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 97 12-29-2008 03:21 PM
White House says auto loans deal not imminent camaro5 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 11 12-15-2008 12:44 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.