Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Old 04-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #26
CRTZL1

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
GM's own timed laps of the ZL1 and 1LE at VIR shows the ZL1 lap time at 6 seconds faster. These are GM test times with factory cars and their test driver. Go check out Yuotube. Not sure how familiar you are with road course racing but that is a relatively significant difference. Lots of things account for the 6 seconds and with the price of the ZL1 this should be expected. That said, the 1LE at sub 3 minutes put down one hell of a lap.

So Mr SSRS55, let's try to keep this simple. You have a 2SS with the 1LE option, which I believe is a $3500 option on that car. Correct?

Ok, here's the question. Now, consider everything that comes in the 1LE package before you just blurt out another response. Here we go...

If I purchase a straight 2SS, can I go to the aftermarket and put all the pieces on my car for $3500 to match what you get in the 1LE package (essentially can I mod it like for like for the same $)???

Here's the pickle you find yourself in... If you say yes somebody can do this then you are admitting you wasted your money on the 1LE option package. If you say no then you and I agree with each other.
Blurt Blurt Blurt..........

Your question doesn't really warrant an answer cause your resorting to changing the subject of what WE were discussing, which is the 1LE versus the ZL1 but I'll answer it anyways.
Now for the simplified version cause I'm about done wasting my time and words on a simple minded old Man!
You can absolutely make your SS perform like a 1le for 3500 bucks, will you get everything that this 3500 dollar package includes absolutely not.
My Zl1 wheels are worth the package money alone. So did I waste my money absolutely not, it's about convenience also. To get a package done from the factory like the 1LE is just awesome.

You keep refering to Modding your previous SS to make it a comparison to the ZL1 and you can not simply do this for cheap cause there is simply just to much missing, it would yes be very expensive.......... but when your talking the 1 Le, it shares so many of the characteristics of the Z ( esentially your getting a supercharger for 20k more with the Z,thats about it )that simple bolt ons will make it the more cost worthy better choice for peformance and value, Enough said, if you don't know this your foolish.

There is a reason the 1 LE is named the best balanced camaro ever!
Also for educational purposes there is a man named Mark Dickens whos job is to test and try to break things on all these cars and see what improvemnets can be made.
guess what car he prefers..yep the 1LE and thats over the new Z28 as well..
Now your opinions are not going to change cause you love what you have and your partial to it and thats great but your confusing your love for the actual fact...
Sorry man as much as I love the ZL1 ....the 1LE is definitely the winner on value and for thousands less you can make the Z look like it's red headed step child!!
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #27
Blueclyde

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I'm going to carve through your insults and say that we maybe see things pretty close to the same way based on some of what was in your last response. Your characterization of me is wrong though. I haven't really offered opinions. I've made some statements backed up by facts. Also, the 1LE and ZL1 are totally different cars. I didn't start the comparison. You started to compare the two and yourself declared the 1LE the better value. Doesn't really matter. They're both great cars.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #28
CRTZL1

I'm done.. your the one who started being smug.. and showing insult..
I was just simply pointing out how wrong you were, and you are but enough said... moving forward!!
Old 04-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #29
Bad@ssCamaro
Ist State Chevy Supporter

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS55 View Post
I was just simply pointing out how wrong you were, and you are but enough said... moving forward!!
You're clearly in denial. Blueclyde made a valid point of comparing buying an SS and trying to make it an 1LE after the fact for $3500, when that ain't gonna happen. You're comparison of making the 1LE better than the ZL1 on a performance level, also not going to happen. For one, you take that differential spent from the SS to the ZL1 and throw that into the SS on perfomance and yes you will beat it, but if something breaks, OOPS, there goes more money out of your pocket. Where's the value in that?

And Blueclyde is not wrong. Many would agree from his perpective. I do.
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Next Camaro:
CRT 1SS/RS/1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #30
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Blueclyde - 1

SSRS55 - 0
Old 04-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #31
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
Quote:

You act like you're 12. Get over yourself and your insults to other members, you're not that awesome.

On the topic of 1LE vs a stock ZL1...
You're comparing a (theoretical) highly modded 1LE to a stock car. You can add HP and the handling will be close but not on the same level. I suppose you could replace all the bushings, endlings, sways, stiffen everything up so that it knocks your teeth out on the hwy when you hit a pothole. It still wont be as good as the magnetic ride control. Go with stock 1le susp which os very good but not as good as the MRC or mod the hell out of it so that its less streetable. Either way its still not as good as the MRC.
On the subject of HP, you do realize what a pulley swap and tune does to a ZL1 dont you? That costs waaaaay less than what you have in your mods.

Just to clarify something else here. 6 seconds on a road course is more than a significant lead, its light years. At speed, after 2 laps he would be a 1/4 mile ahead. Its not just a fender or a couple of car lengths.

Lets summarize.....
Mod the hell out of a 1LE and get it close/even to a stock ZL1.
ZL1 owner has warranty, great street manners and reliability, you dont.
ZL1 owner decides he wants to go faster so he adds a tune/pulley swap.
You now need to add a supercharger or more cubic inches. Big $$
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #32
CRTZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
You're clearly in denial. Blueclyde made a valid point of comparing buying an SS and trying to make it an 1LE after the fact for $3500, when that ain't gonna happen. You're comparison of making the 1LE better than the ZL1 on a performance level, also not going to happen. For one, you take that differential spent from the SS to the ZL1 and throw that into the SS on perfomance and yes you will beat it, but if something breaks, OOPS, there goes more money out of your pocket. Where's the value in that?

And Blueclyde is not wrong. Many would agree from his perpective. I do.
Keep smoking that good stuff!!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #33
CRTZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
You act like you're 12. Get over yourself and your insults to other members, you're not that awesome.

On the topic of 1LE vs a stock ZL1...
You're comparing a (theoretical) highly modded 1LE to a stock car. You can add HP and the handling will be close but not on the same level. I suppose you could replace all the bushings, endlings, sways, stiffen everything up so that it knocks your teeth out on the hwy when you hit a pothole. It still wont be as good as the magnetic ride control. Go with stock 1le susp which os very good but not as good as the MRC or mod the hell out of it so that its less streetable. Either way its still not as good as the MRC.
On the subject of HP, you do realize what a pulley swap and tune does to a ZL1 dont you? That costs waaaaay less than what you have in your mods.

Just to clarify something else here. 6 seconds on a road course is more than a significant lead, its light years. At speed, after 2 laps he would be a 1/4 mile ahead. Its not just a fender or a couple of car lengths.

Lets summarize.....
Mod the hell out of a 1LE and get it close/even to a stock ZL1.
ZL1 owner has warranty, great street manners and reliability, you dont.
ZL1 owner decides he wants to go faster so he adds a tune/pulley swap.
You now need to add a supercharger or more cubic inches. Big $$
And yet another brain surgeon!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #34
Bad@ssCamaro
Ist State Chevy Supporter

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Keep smoking that good stuff!!
Not as good as the stuff your using...or maybe you should lower your steroid intake,just saying
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Next Camaro:
CRT 1SS/RS/1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #35
charlie46

Drives: 2013 camaro 1le
Comparing the 1LE to the ZL1 is comparing apples to oranges. Theres no comparison the ZL1 is on a different level in performance handiling and ride quality at 57K you get what you pay for period.. The magnetic shocks are on pare with the 458 Italia. Having said that If I wanted a ZL1 i would of bought one . But I love my 1LE at $38,800 theres nothing out there at THAT PRICE that compares and trust me I could buy any car out there but I love a bargin! Just my two cents!
Attached Images

charlie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #36
Blueclyde

^^ This.

If the 1LE was an option when I ordered my ZL1 I would have had to think very hard about it. It is the best bang for the buck model in the line.
Old 04-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #37
charlie46

Drives: 2013 camaro 1le
Quote:
^^ This.

If the 1LE was an option when I ordered my ZL1 I would have had to think very hard about it. It is the best bang for the buck model in the line.
After ordering my 1LE , a Black ZL1 came in but it didnt have the right options and it didnt have the new mylink with navigation or I would have pulled the trigger . Anyway after seeing the ZL1 in person I cried for a week then got over it! The ZL1 is that awesome and I would take one over the stripped Z28 anyday anytime!
Attached Images

charlie46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #38
Blueclyde

I'm thinking hard about adding a Z/28 to the stable but it is likely going to be a very difficult car to get. I may have to wait this one out a bit instead of trying to be first in line like I did with the ZL1.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #39
CRTZL1

I'm in No way saying the ZL1 is less of a car then the 1LE ...I actually love the Z very very much.
Think my posts just got blown way out of wack. I was coming across rude to blueclyde but simply calling him old man because he was referring to me as young man... so I was just trying to be funny!
To the original topic I do stand behind my original posts though, I do feel you can make the 1LE as good as a stock Z for a lot cheaper then what the stock Z cost, whether it be in the twistys or on the drag strip..

With all that said I apologize to blueclyde for feeling I was being harsh but it was all in good fun and my opinion is my own...
Take care!!
Old 04-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #40
Blueclyde

No harm no foul. Im not that old, only 48. You're passionate about ride. I dig that. It's a great car, no doubt.

Do yourself a favor. Read up on everything that comes in the ZL1. Every major system in the car is beefier and more durable than the SS platform. Yes the 1LE has some ZL1 DNA but there is much it does not have. The ZL1 is totally bullet proof, transmission, clutch, rear diff, axles, brakes, coolers, etc. On top of that it has MRC suspension and PTM. The new Z/28 is going to be a total track monster. People are going to be shocked by how fast this car is going to lap a road course. The ZL1 will remain the highest HP most technologically advanced Camaro, it just will not be the fastest on the road course. The Z/28 will be the top of the food chain.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #41
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Please guys. Don't let the 1LE sub forum degrade. We've been trying to keep things civil in here. PM each other with your rants.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #42
CRTZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
Please guys. Don't let the 1LE sub forum degrade. We've been trying to keep things civil in here. PM each other with your rants.
Your a little late we made up already!!
Old 04-13-2013, 11:48 PM   #43
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
According to my service manager,whom i know and trust the Z/28 will be $69,900
cornerspeed92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #44
CrystalRedTintcoat

Quote:
Your a little late we made up already!!
Whew. I'll try to pay more attention. Lol.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:27 AM   #45
CrystalRedTintcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
According to my service manager,whom i know and trust the Z/28 will be $69,900
Jesus! That's a boat load of dough for a car without a radio. Who is the target market?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:35 AM   #46
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Quote:
Jesus! That's a boat load of dough for a car without a radio. Who is the target market?
Anyone with $69,900.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:05 AM   #47
CRTZL1

Quote:
No harm no foul. Im not that old, only 48. You're passionate about ride. I dig that. It's a great car, no doubt.

Do yourself a favor. Read up on everything that comes in the ZL1. Every major system in the car is beefier and more durable than the SS platform. Yes the 1LE has some ZL1 DNA but there is much it does not have. The ZL1 is totally bullet proof, transmission, clutch, rear diff, axles, brakes, coolers, etc. On top of that it has MRC suspension and PTM. The new Z/28 is going to be a total track monster. People are going to be shocked by how fast this car is going to lap a road course. The ZL1 will remain the highest HP most technologically advanced Camaro, it just will not be the fastest on the road course. The Z/28 will be the top of the food chain.
I hate to say it but I finally agree with you.

On a serious note though I could really care less what car is faster, there is always going to be something out there faster whether it's a production car or a modded one so what's the point... important thing is ya love what you have and I definitely definitely do!
But with that said who's to say that there won't be a ZL1 in my future, after all back when I was not so smart and was obsessed with mustang's I did own a 2010 Shelby GT500 so it's only right that now that I'm obsessed with camaro I mys well have the cream of the crop as well!!!
Old 04-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #48
Blueclyde

Quote:
I think it will have a radio bu just one speaker. The weight savings was in gutting the unnecessary speakers. One of the videos from the reveal mentioned his. We will have to wait and see.

Also, nobody knows the price yet but expect it to be high. It's got a low volume hand blt engine with custom exhaust manifolds and dry sump oil system. It's got exotic high $ brakes that are unmatched for this type of car. It also is going to have very specialized shocks and other suspension parts. All of this produced in low volume having to amortize all of GM's development and validation $$'s. Its going to be expensive and ther could likely be dealer markup on top.

The target market will be three groups I think. Group 1 are the hard core track guys that have been modifying their Camaros or simply waiting for this car. Groups 2 and 3 are kind of similar. They are the purist Z/28 people that have been waiting and waiting and the folks with money looking for a collector piece. This is not going to be an ordinary car.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #49
natmad

Drives: '14 1LE 1SS NPP Recaros soon?
I think I read in Chevy's press release that the Z28 will come with NO radio and only one speaker for the seatbelt chime which it has to have by law. Along with optional a/c Chevy is adding lightness where it can on a very focused track/street car.
natmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #50
CrystalRedTintcoat

There are other ways to shave weight. Many an exotic car have solved performance, weight and luxury together.

Hope to see the Z/28 on Euro Top Gear n

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD