Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Kraft Werks
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 07-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #51
PQ
1st State Chevy supporter

Drives: Hybrid SS Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.u.el View Post
So as far as the CAI it doesn't matter, I can get it now or later?

Well, I'll look at the instructions, look at myself in the mirror and decide if I can install it myself with a couple of my buddies. I know a lot about engines but I'm just not very good at the hands on work
The Maggie wasn't that hard.

CAI will certainly change things. You will still want to get it tuned by someone but with just a CAI the stock Mangnacharger tune will be fine. Just not maximized.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #52
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: LS-3 429 TT with other odds-n-ends
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Unless the engine get's Forged I wouldn't recommend a twins. I'm thinking the boost would KILL a stock LS3.
Close... 7 lbs of boost is seven lbs of boost...

They use smaller turbos for the twins set ups.. The advantage of this is faster spool time... A big single or smaller twins...
Old 07-06-2012, 03:55 PM   #53
Cpanthers85

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
So as far as the CAI it doesn't matter, I can get it now or later?

Well, I'll look at the instructions, look at myself in the mirror and decide if I can install it myself with a couple of my buddies. I know a lot about engines but I'm just not very good at the hands on work
"MOST" of the CAI companies have a SC conversion Kit. CAI doesn't make one for the E-Force though... So I had to buy a new Cold air intake, even though I may try to fabricate the CAI to fit.

I went with E-Force. We are in the process of doing the install (Saturdays) right now. My Dad is a ACE Master Tech and even he looked at the directions and shook his head in disbelief that we were taking the front end off the car. We haven't gotten to the SC yet because we are doing the LS3 Conversion first. I like the look of the E-Force, but I wish I would have went with Magnacharger to take advantage of the flexibility of it because I'm already planning my next mods. lol

Mods: Kooks Long Tube Headers, RotoFaB EForce CAI, American Thunder Catback Exhaust, PFADT Stage 1 Drag Kit + Front Sway Bar, GM Strut Tower Bar. ZL1 Fuel Pump. Nitto NT05R. RX Catch Can.LS9 Cam and Springs.LS3 Conversion.JRE Fuel Rail Upgrade.Edelbrock Eforce.60# Eforce Injectors.Extreme Racing Tune. 523/495

MY BUILD THREAD
Cpanthers85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #54
Kronix
HT5 Coast2Coast

Drives: 2014 C7 Stingray & 440HP Z71 Tahoe
Quote:
The Maggie seems to maybe be the one I'll go with. From what I heard the E-force is great, has a clean look, but is the quieter of the bunch. I kind of want that supercharger Whine .

All I [B]plan on doing is putting some Long Tubes, CAI, and aftermarket exhaust.
Would it be best to work my way up to the supercharger, or get the kit and install everything else afterwards?
You won't regret the Maggie & like PQ said it comes with a SCT Tuner, and you can make some mods to it. But once you're settled in with it, then you'll go and get it dyno tuned.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #55
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
I am more than happy to make amazing deals with ANYONE on ANY supercharger.
Just throwing that out there.
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #56
camslambam
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS, 06 SRT10 Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
Yeahh......might see Big Foot too.
looooooool
camslambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #57
camslambam
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post

They use smaller turbos for the twins set ups.. The advantage of this is faster spool time... A big single or smaller twins...
Question I always wondered.
If you're boosting 7lbs through twins does EACH boost 7? Or do they boost half and half? how does that work? Because I know they got some twin turbo diesel f350s down here boosting 40psi PER turbo. (They're special made vehicles for the border police)
Old 07-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #58
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo99 View Post
Don't let them steer you in a direction you don't wanna go, I have YET to see a turbo car build without and issues, sure they make power but yet to see one not smoke,burn oil, blow a turbo or some issue. For what you want a PD blower will suit you fine with room to grow if you want.
Not trying to sway him because I don't care what he gets but with proper oiling that really shouldn't be a problem. I'm at 1 year and 17xxx mile of beating the shit out of mine and I haven't had any problems....well not turbo related I've had two slave cylinders destroyed because of failed throw out bearings on ls9r clutch.

IPS Twin Turbo kit GT3582Rs
Old 07-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #59
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Quote:
Originally Posted by camslambam View Post
If you're boosting 7lbs through twins does EACH boost 7? Or do they boost half and half? how does that work? Because I know they got some twin turbo diesel f350s down here boosting 40psi PER turbo. (They're special made vehicles for the border police)
Both turbos together create 7psi at the manifold. They work together like one turbo
Old 07-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #60
PQ

Quote:

Yup, but 14 pounds is 14 pounds too.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #61
Turbo99

Drives: 08' F250 Diesel & 10' Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPredator View Post
Not trying to sway him because I don't care what he gets but with proper oiling that really shouldn't be a problem. I'm at 1 year and 17xxx mile of beating the shit out of mine and I haven't had any problems....well not turbo related I've had two slave cylinders destroyed because of failed throw out bearings on ls9r clutch.

IPS Twin Turbo kit GT3582Rs
I wasn't refering to ANYONE inperticular, I was seeing alot of recommended turbo stuff when clearly NOBODY has a EASY bolt on kit that has ALL the bugs out. Not saying that every installed turbo will be a bust but the chances of an issue seem to run WAY higher on a turbo kit VS. a PD blower kit. A PD blower is simple and will get him more power than he is asking for.
TVS2300 ,Hendrix Street Slayer Twin Carbon Clutch, Dana 60 3.73, DSS 1400HP Axles,JRe cam & LaMotta Performance tuned,LPE Fuel, AI Super Chiller,MT ET Streets
Turbo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #62
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Like Cyber said, The turbos'work together...

Stating each one is putting out 40 psi is a semantics argument... They both feed the same intercooler, so yes, they are both putting out 40, but that does not mean they are boosting to 80... I have 12 lb springs in both of my wastegates... If one of them is a little behind the other, then the one that is ahead will make up any difference... My actuall boost is somewhere around 10.5 at the intake manifold... right now... It's soon going up... with the boost controller...

but, both of them put out 12 lbs of boost... and that air meets at the intercooler and roughly 12 lbs goes from there to the intake manifold...
Old 07-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #63
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo99 View Post
I wasn't refering to ANYONE inperticular, I was seeing alot of recommended turbo stuff when clearly NOBODY has a EASY bolt on kit that has ALL the bugs out. Not saying that every installed turbo will be a bust but the chances of an issue seem to run WAY higher on a turbo kit VS. a PD blower kit. A PD blower is simple and will get him more power than he is asking for.
Oh OK my misunderstanding. Definitely more complicated to install but I personally have 0 regrets
Old 07-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #64
camslambam
Account Suspended

Quote:
Like Cyber said, The turbos'work together...

Stating each one is putting out 40 psi is a semantics argument... They both feed the same intercooler, so yes, they are both putting out 40, but that does not mean they are boosting to 80... I have 12 lb springs in both of my wastegates... If one of them is a little behind the other, then the one that is ahead will make up any difference... My actuall boost is somewhere around 10.5 at the intake manifold... right now... It's soon going up... with the boost controller...

but, both of them put out 12 lbs of boost... and that air meets at the intercooler and roughly 12 lbs goes from there to the intake manifold...
Ah. Right on. I see. Then what's the particular advantage of twins over single at low boost?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #65
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Ah. Right on. I see. Then what's the particular advantage of twins over single at low boost?
There are two advantages.... Quicker spool time,

Cool factor...

At low boost, thats about it...

As for overall, and this is arguable... A big single can be peaky... Taking a little time to spool, and then hitting like a freight train right at the top of the RPM range... This depends on the design and piping, cubic inches of the motor, and size of the turbo....
Old 07-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #66
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Quote:
Also piping. The closer the Turbo is to the exhaust side of the head the more efficient it is,as far as spool. With a single Turbo if its close to one head it's far from the other head and requires longer piping creating less spool efficiency. If the single Turbo is dead center both exhaust manifolds have a further run.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #67
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

So twins can get closer to the heads.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #68
PQ

I can still beat any turbo with the same launch to 10 feet.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #69
sam.u.el

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Rally Yellow w/ blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronix View Post
You won't regret the Maggie & like PQ said it comes with a SCT Tuner, and you can make some mods to it. But once you're settled in with it, then you'll go and get it dyno tuned.
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but i did not want to create a new one. So the days are coming closer than i thought to when i would pull the trigger on headers, supercharger with a tune and i had a question for you Kronix. I'm pretty set on the Maggie supercharger for the looks and great things i hear about it but i'm worried on whether or not it'll fit under the MDP1 hood i have now. Is the supercharger you have of similar size and did you have any fitment issues with the hood?

Or can anyone point me to someone with a Maggie and MPD1 Zforce hood? If there's fitment issues i will probably just go with the Edelbrock kit.

Thanks a bunch from any and all responses!
sam.u.el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #70
Jason P

Drives: 2011 2ss
Not sure about the hood, but the maggie fits under my strut tower brace. I would guess you wouldn't have any problems.
2011 2ss Ram twin plate ceramic clutch, 231/243, .617/.624 cam, ported and polished heads with dual springs,magnum push rods, Hotchkis race pack, Stainless Power long tube headers with no cats, Magna Flo competition exhaust, lpe fuel pump, magnuson supercharger with overdrive, id 850 injectors, 3 bar map, halltech cai, zl1 rear diff
Jason P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:57 AM   #71
sam.u.el

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Rally Yellow w/ blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason P View Post
Not sure about the hood, but the maggie fits under my strut tower brace. I would guess you wouldn't have any problems.
Thanks for your response, and for bringing up that strut tower brace. I'm wondering if I can fit that under the hood too? I need to go do some more searching. I'm not having much luck haha. But thanks again!
sam.u.el is offline   Reply With Quote