Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #376
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Monchy, your Camaro looks great! Kevin, can't wait to see yours in person!
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #377
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre777 View Post
I think the NS1 stripes are gonna look real badass bro , can you take a pic of rotors installed as I'm thinking of getting a set for my car and I'd like to see how they look on your car , don't forget to dyno after the headers install to see the gains you're gonna get .
Quote:
Monchy, your Camaro looks great! Kevin, can't wait to see yours in person!
Thanks Mike! I can't wait to see yours and see how good those Hex Vents look good in person!

Update:
Well yesterday I attemtped to install my new rotors and pads. Long story short only install the front two rotors in 2 and a half hours (ran into a lot of problems ) At first I had a hard time taking off the front rotors cause of rust but I eventually just hit the backside with a hammer and they came off. A major problem was when it came to instal the pads. For some reason with the pads on the caliber (which is effing heavy btw) they wouldn't fit over the rotor (thinking maybe I didn't have piston open as much as I could have) I attempted to do replace the rear rotors also but couldn't get the rear ones off since they were rusted over so much (tried hitting it with a hammer but was hard since it doesn't freely rotate like the fronts). I eventually gave up. I was also going to install my Black gorilla acorn locks but they key is a little short and my socket is too thick so I was stratching my rims along where the lugs go, I'll have to go out and see if I can find a skinner socket I guess.

R1 Slotted/Drilled Rotors

The first thing I did was paint the hats with black spray paint

Stock Front Rotors

R1 Slotted/Drilled Rotor

Now the front two R1 rotors are 1.82lbs lighter than stock. Not much of a loss but it is rotational weight. The rears are about 3.1lbs lighter so that would be a total of almost 5lbs of rotational weight gone.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #378
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Don't forget to paint those calipers...
Old 04-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #379
Wolfco13

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th Vert
Nice! I will have to do that myself one of these days.
You could consider MGP Caliper Covers, too.
Manufacturer's site: http://www.calipercovers.com/
Several of our sponsors carry them.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #380
pierre777
HT5 COTW 9/3/2012

Drives: Cyber Bullet
Send a message via Skype™ to pierre777
Man they look so good on the car , I bought a set of premium slotted and drilled but they say the already come electro coated black in the center , aren't yours supposed to be like that?
Old 04-16-2013, 02:19 PM   #381
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monchy36 View Post
Don't forget to paint those calipers...
It is on the list haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfco13 View Post
Nice! I will have to do that myself one of these days.
You could consider MGP Caliper Covers, too.
Manufacturer's site: http://www.calipercovers.com/
Several of our sponsors carry them.
Yea I saw those but not really a fan of how they look

Quote:
Man they look so good on the car , I bought a set of premium slotted and drilled but they say the already come electro coated black in the center , aren't yours supposed to be like that?
There are ones that are I just didn't order them, why you ask? Cuase I was so excited about ordering them I didn't scroll lower down on a page when ordering online lol.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #382
ssmike
Missing Big Red

Drives: 2013 Equinox CRT
Rotors look great!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #383
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
GREAT JOB, I have certainly moved this up to my mod for next spring.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #384
CamaroI

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
NIce the someone gets there Rotors right from R1 they sent me the wrong set. Hmmmm 6 lugs for Camaro Ummmmm no...I have now been waiting over 3 weeks for another rear set to be sent out
CamaroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #385
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
Rotors look great!
Thanks! Just gotta get up the motivation again to try and tackel the install to finish it all up once and for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcat600man View Post
GREAT JOB, I have certainly moved this up to my mod for next spring.
Thanks! I love the way they look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroI View Post
NIce the someone gets there Rotors right from R1 they sent me the wrong set. Hmmmm 6 lugs for Camaro Ummmmm no...I have now been waiting over 3 weeks for another rear set to be sent out
That sucks, I ordered mine from Jim through Ohio Speed and had no problems. If it makes you feel any better I had to wait about 2 months to get my throttle body back.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #386
pierre777
HT5 COTW 9/3/2012

Drives: Cyber Bullet
Send a message via Skype™ to pierre777
I hope they don't send mine wrong ,i'm on the other side of the planet and sending them back for replacement will cost me a fortune and 3 months maybe.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #387
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
They look Great. Almost wish i painted my Hats with some Black paint. The reason why i didn't order the R1 rotors that have the black Electro plating was because they cost about 130 more. They are made from a different compound that is meant to deliver slightly better braking but since I'm not ever tracking the car i couldn't ration the other 130.

But for a solution to get the rears to rotate freely you could leave the Transmission in neutral and use the E-brake to hold the car while your lifting and release it once its up in the air and just be sure to engage it back when you lower it. Since i have a manual i was able to just put it in neutral right once it was in the air.
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #388
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
I hope they don't send mine wrong ,i'm on the other side of the planet and sending them back for replacement will cost me a fortune and 3 months maybe.
Yea that would suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
They look Great. Almost wish i painted my Hats with some Black paint. The reason why i didn't order the R1 rotors that have the black Electro plating was because they cost about 130 more. They are made from a different compound that is meant to deliver slightly better braking but since I'm not ever tracking the car i couldn't ration the other 130.

But for a solution to get the rears to rotate freely you could leave the Transmission in neutral and use the E-brake to hold the car while your lifting and release it once its up in the air and just be sure to engage it back when you lower it. Since i have a manual i was able to just put it in neutral right once it was in the air.
Why didn't I think of that? Haha. You installed the HPS pads too right? Did you have any trouble getting them to fit over your rotors?
Old 04-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #389
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkjr27 View Post
Yea that would suck!

Why didn't I think of that? Haha. You installed the HPS pads too right? Did you have any trouble getting them to fit over your rotors?
I had no problems. The tool that I have to push back the pistons inside the calipers wasn't long enough so I got another socket stuck it inside the chamber and used it as an extension to push it back. For me the fronts where more difficult than the rears. But all four corners came right off for me. Granted I have very little miles but they all just slipped right off. Let me know if you need any other tips for the install. I'm glad to help out
Old 04-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #390
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
I had no problems. The tool that I have to push back the pistons inside the calipers wasn't long enough so I got another socket stuck it inside the chamber and used it as an extension to push it back. For me the fronts where more difficult than the rears. But all four corners came right off for me. Granted I have very little miles but they all just slipped right off. Let me know if you need any other tips for the install. I'm glad to help out
Hmm yea I'll have to go out and buy that tool and some WD-40 and tackle it again maybe?

Update:

So over the winter after countless tries at painting my front bowtie it came out the way I wanted and I got it installed today. That front bowtie really is a pain to take off wtf...Getting close to "de-chroming" the outside of my car lol (just gotta plasti-dip the side letters, replace the rear bowtie and pain the RS badges, and swap to the black gorilla acorn locks) I also switched out my Rx breather for one I bought that came with a black filter though it would hide any oil better.

Bowtie Before:

Bowtie After:

Black Rx Breather Filter:

(sorry the engine bay is a lil dirty)

Also stopped by a vinyl place today and got a quote to install the NS-1 Stripes so next Wednesday I am getting them installed!!!!!! Can't wait!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #391
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Hmm yea I'll have to go out and buy that tool and some WD-40 and tackle it again maybe?

Update:

So over the winter after countless tries at painting my front bowtie it came out the way I wanted and I got it installed today. That front bowtie really is a pain to take off wtf...Getting close to "de-chroming" the outside of my car lol (just gotta plasti-dip the side letters, replace the rear bowtie and pain the RS badges, and swap to the black gorilla acorn locks) I also switched out my Rx breather for one I bought that came with a black filter though it would hide any oil better.

Bowtie Before:

Bowtie After:

Black Rx Breather Filter:

(sorry the engine bay is a lil dirty)

Also stopped by a vinyl place today and got a quote to install the NS-1 Stripes so next Wednesday I am getting them installed!!!!!! Can't wait!
The new Bowtie looks great. But do you not think you will have any issues with paint fade when you go to pull the Factory stripes off?
Old 04-17-2013, 05:53 PM   #392
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
The new Bowtie looks great. But do you not think you will have any issues with paint fade when you go to pull the Factory stripes off?
Yea I thought about that and was talking to the people who are gonna do the stripe install. They think it should be fine but it def is something I am worried about. Guess I'll find out when they get installed .
Old 04-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #393
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Well I want an update on the rotors... And when are you going to install those NS-1?
Old 04-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #394
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Quote:
He'll be ok! Already saw car with decals longer and the paint still good! Just take your time K! From personal experience you want the decals take the glue with it when remove them... Heat gun do wonders! And a LOT of patience... And start from middle back out front make it easy to peel them off...
Old 04-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #395
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
Well I want an update on the rotors... And when are you going to install those NS-1?
NS-1 are going on Wednesday!!! . As far as finishing the rotors maybe in a couple weeks? Finals are soon and I have a lot of papers/projects to do before I graduate so won't have much down time between now and the second week of April.

Quote:
He'll be ok! Already saw car with decals longer and the paint still good! Just take your time K! From personal experience you want the decals take the glue with it when remove them... Heat gun do wonders! And a LOT of patience... And start from middle back out front make it easy to peel them off...
I hope so haha! I'm leaving the removal and installation to a professional lol. Might be a little costly but I would rather have it done right the first time (plus my bonus from work will cover it haha)
Old 04-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #396
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Quote:
NS-1 are going on Wednesday!!! . As far as finishing the rotors maybe in a couple weeks? Finals are soon and I have a lot of papers/projects to do before I graduate so won't have much down time between now and the second week of April.

I hope so haha! I'm leaving the removal and installation to a professional lol. Might be a little costly but I would rather have it done right the first time (plus my bonus from work will cover it haha)
I be following here very close!!!
Old 04-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #397
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:

With changing just your front rotors and pads have you noticed a larger amount of break dust? I went out for a very quick drive today (literally 2 miles) and when I got back my wheels were pretty black. I did break hard a couple of time to get a feel for them but nothing out of the world.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:23 PM   #398
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Quote:
With changing just your front rotors and pads have you noticed a larger amount of break dust? I went out for a very quick drive today (literally 2 miles) and when I got back my wheels were pretty black. I did break hard a couple of time to get a feel for them but nothing out of the world.
I didn't change the front pads since I was having trouble installing them so the stock pads are still on.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #399
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Quote:
I notice the same too when i wash it, my rims was darker than normal...
Old 04-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #400
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
I didn't change the front pads since I was having trouble installing them so the stock pads are still on.
Oh okay. Just wondering because my break dust seemed a little excessive for just 2 miles

Quote:
I notice the same too when i wash it, my rims was darker than normal...
My rims were darker but i had spot on the rims that were blotches of break dust. It was so thick that it made it seem like grease. I have almost no miles on the brakes though. Just about 5 miles since installed last weekend. I just cleaned it off and i guess i will see if it gets just as bad next time i drive.

Tags
12secbuild