Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:09 PM   #18
1989GTA

Drives: 1989 GTA Trans Am
"I have a separate write up I am working on for stepped headers. It is one of those topics that has a lot of variables and is hard to write about without either going too long or doing the opposite and over simplifying."

Not much has been written regarding the stepped headers so this should be an interesting read. One thing I did see posted from a shop was that the stepped headers always seemed to perform in the upper end of the dyno horsepower range depending on what mods the car had.
1989GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:24 AM   #19
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM

Very nice write up. I always get questions about the 1 3/4, 1 7/8, 2 inch tubes.

I love Amanda
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #20
jethrobandit

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS
This may be a stupid question, but hey, that's what forums are for. With an NPP exhaust system, are there any modifications that would need to be done to it in applying 1 7/8" headers?
jethrobandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #21
2010 4 DW
Account Suspended

Drives: White 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Absolutely. Stainless Works, Stainless Power, Kooks, and ARH all utilize a merge spike. Many of the "budget" headers produced overseas do not and it does have an impact on performance. I will have to add a section on that at some point.

I have a separate write up I am working on for stepped headers. It is one of those topics that has a lot of variables and is hard to write about without either going too long or doing the opposite and over simplifying.

Thanks.
Great information and I cannot wait to see the stepped information. I went with the JBA 1 7/8" Stainless & Ceramic Coated Long Tubes and they also have a "MERGE SPIKE". I paid $800.00 for the headers and mids shipped and it was the best deal on the market at the time. I have used JBA in the past with NO issues and the Camaro headers have been great.
2010 4 DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:22 PM   #22
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post

Very nice write up. I always get questions about the 1 3/4, 1 7/8, 2 inch tubes.

I love Amanda
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jethrobandit View Post
This may be a stupid question, but hey, that's what forums are for. With an NPP exhaust system, are there any modifications that would need to be done to it in applying 1 7/8" headers?
No. You just need to make sure that you buy the right headers. Look for "factory connect" or "short system" headers. That is the lingo most of the manufacturers use to reference their headers that will bolt up to the factory exhaust or standard aftermarket cat backs. An, of course, if you have any doubts or questions feel free to hit me up or give us a call.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #23
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryBabyMaro View Post
What do you think about SLP headers????
SLP headers do not meet the standards outlined in my post.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #24
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
ARH are great! Picked mine up from Chase with Apex in December and I finally have them installed.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, RX CC, GFX, Subs, Tuned by Rhino79 at GPI.
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #25
OVERPAR73
2013 CRT ZL1 convertible

Drives: 2013 ZL1 vert
Chase,
Do you have a header and cat recommendation for my 2013 ZL1 vert?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #26
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERPAR73 View Post
Chase,
Do you have a header and cat recommendation for my 2013 ZL1 vert?
Like I mentioned in the opening post, Stainless Works, Stainless Power, ARH, and Kooks are all good to go in my book. Just pick your poison. Feel free to send me a PM or give us a call if you have any questions.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #27
gmen09

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
Great write up really helpful, just one question are there any negatives to the 2" header system, other than higher price?
Old 04-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #28
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmen09 View Post
Great write up really helpful, just one question are there any negatives to the 2" header system, other than higher price?
That was my only negative. Some people are having fitment issues since it is bigger. I did not but it is a little bit of a squeeze. If you do have issues loosen up the motor mounts and slide the motor a quarter inch or so to the side to make room. If I were to do it again made stepped headers would be the way I'd go but I'm happy with my 2"ers
Old 04-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #29
Ice992
Semper Fi

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS A6
I've been looking at lots of these... I don't see Texas Speed and Performance listed... not a recommended brand?

Thanks! Great write up!

Ready to live life on your terms?

-H-Town Camaro Club-
Ice992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #30
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmen09 View Post
They can be a bit more challenging to install and clearances will be slightly reduced. That is about it.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #31
Thapilot

Drives: 2010 2SS Black Twice
Chase, this is very helpful, thanks for taking the time to write this up. Question, I see some brands listing HF Cats and others just list them as Cats, is there such a thing as HF and what are the benefits? And I second Ice99's question about TSP?
Thapilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #32
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Aftermarket cats = high flow (HF) whether they are the ones that bolt up to the stock exhaust manifold (Solo or JBA) or cats that bolt onto long tube (LT) headers.

Simply stated, the benefits are in the name; they flow the exhaust gases better than the stock cats. They also keep you emissions legal except for more restrictive states like California.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #33
Thapilot

Drives: 2010 2SS Black Twice
Thanks RJT!
Thapilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #34
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thapilot View Post
Chase, this is very helpful, thanks for taking the time to write this up. Question, I see some brands listing HF Cats and others just list them as Cats, is there such a thing as HF and what are the benefits? And I second Ice99's question about TSP?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-SS View Post
Aftermarket cats = high flow (HF) whether they are the ones that bolt up to the stock exhaust manifold (Solo or JBA) or cats that bolt onto long tube (LT) headers.

Simply stated, the benefits are in the name; they flow the exhaust gases better than the stock cats. They also keep you emissions legal except for more restrictive states like California.
RJT-SS pretty well nailed that one Thapilot. Anything you buy aftermarket if going to be high flow. I do not have any hands on experience with TSP headers so I am not in a position to comment on them.

Tags
arh, headers, kooks, long tube headers, stainless works