Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Camaro Motorsports Discussions Motorsports involving Camaros - Grand-Am, Redline Time Attack, Drift Events, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
Bomino
 
Bomino's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nurburgring
Posts: 104
HPDE guys, what gear ratios are you using?

Hi all,

Interested in what rear gears everyone is running for road courses. 4.11/10 seems like you would have to be using 5th gear since 4th would top out in the 140's. what speeds do you typically hit on the road courses? That may help.

The idea i've gotten from reading around is you don't want to go past 4th gear since 5th and 6th are overdrives. Don't know how correct this is so I'd like to discuss.

Also post rwhp, rwtq, etc.

Bomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 3,322
I don't plan on touching the diff gearing until I open the trans and put in the 1LE gear set. This assumes it doesn't explode on me. Its far better to shift less. I wouldn't go past 3.91 if you decide to do something. Best price and strength too. I've been 135-140ish in 4th gear with stock gearing, don't remember the rpm though.

I'll be putting money in wheels/tires and durability mods first (radiator, oil cooler, etc)

415ish rwhp
Synner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
BiggFoot
 
BiggFoot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 711 RWHP/680 RWTQ
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 536
If you are running a road course and that is what you are locked into, then I would stick with the 3.90 ish gear.
__________________
TVS-2300 Supercharger, Cog Drive, & Blower Cam
Scoggins-Dickey Ported/Polished Heads
Kooks LT Headers and full exhaust
Inline Booster Fuel Pump @ WOT & Lingenfelter 65 Lb Fuel Injectors
DSS 9” Conversion (axles, driveshaft, pumpkin) & Strange center section w/4.11 gears
D2 Forged CV2 Wheels (22 x 9.0” - 22 x 11.5”)
Centerforce Dyad Dual Disc Clutch
Alky Control Methanol System & AIS Tank
BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
Jim968
 
Jim968's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS RS
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 288
You shouldn't need to worry about custom gears for HPDE. That will only become an issue if you start competing and are looking to shave the last second or two from your lap times. What road course are you running? On most of them you won't see speeds much above 140 unless you're an advanced driver running a modded car on race tires.

Last edited by Jim968; 03-22-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
kazmar619
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 20
I put 3.7 gears in my manual shift SS. This lets me use 3rd all around the track except for the high speed straight where I shift into 4th. The stock 3.45 gear needed 2nd gear too much, now I don't need to shift down to 2nd.
kazmar619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Avalnch

 
Avalnch's Avatar
 
Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 833
Well, the 1LE is a "track capable" car and it comes with 3.91's. So, I'd say 3.91 (which is exactly what I have).
__________________
C.A.I., ARH LT, Pypes Cat Back, ZL1 Shifter, Quantum Brake Ducts, JDP Tow Hook
Scorch Yellow Trim Kit, Shark Fin, AAC DRLs+ABLs+SMDs, ZTA Rear Spoiler, R.Y. 1LE Splitter
Pfadt coilovers, camber plates, trailing arms & differential bushings.
BMR adjustable toe-rods. Pedders ZL1 barz, rear cradle inserts, radius arm & steering rack bushings.
Hotchkis Max Chassis Brace (minus tunnel cross-over piece for SCCA rules)
1LE 3.91 gearzzz. Drive Shaft Shop Road Race Axle Upgrade. TurnOne power steering pump.
Forgeline GA3-R 19x11 + Hoosier R6 315/30R19
426 HP @ 5550 RPM / 427 TQ @ 4700 RPM
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
Sandor
Chevrolet Performance
 
Sandor's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Chroma
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Motor City
Posts: 339
The 3.91 1LE ring & pinion kit will be available from Chevrolet Performance in Q2.
Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,586
Depends on the track you're running on. Are you planning on running every month at an HPDE track event? Planning to travel to various tracks?

I've got the stock gearing for a 2010 1SS and it's plenty good for the track near me. If you're going to change the diff gears to 3.91 take note that Chevy ALSO changed the trans gear ratios in the 1LE package to come up with a combo that would balance the 3.91.

If there's too much torque at lower speeds it becomes difficult to smoothly accelerate out of corners and into/through transitions. If the gearing is too tall (for high speeds) then either 2nd is too high or 3rd is too low. If the gearing is too low (for 1/4 mile type speeds) then you spend too much time shifting between 2nd and 3rd trying to find the right combo for corners, and believe it or not that can actually slow down your lap times.

Ideally you want a smooth and usable 2nd gear for low to medium speed corners and 3rd can handle everything else, unless it's a high speed bank or sweeper. You don't want too much power too quick or the back end will want to kick around on you when you're trying to accelerate out of a corner or out/into a transition between corners.

My recommendation before you start messing with the gears in the differential is to spend the money at a reputable high performance driving school and learn how to wring the most out of what you already have. THEN you'll have a much better idea of what mods you want to make because you now have the skill and experience with your car to know what needs improving, how much, and why.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Jim968
 
Jim968's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS RS
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
My recommendation before you start messing with the gears in the differential is to spend the money at a reputable high performance driving school and learn how to wring the most out of what you already have. THEN you'll have a much better idea of what mods you want to make because you now have the skill and experience with your car to know what needs improving, how much, and why.
This is excellent advice.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
Bomino
 
Bomino's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nurburgring
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Depends on the track you're running on. Are you planning on running every month at an HPDE track event? Planning to travel to various tracks?

I've got the stock gearing for a 2010 1SS and it's plenty good for the track near me. If you're going to change the diff gears to 3.91 take note that Chevy ALSO changed the trans gear ratios in the 1LE package to come up with a combo that would balance the 3.91.

If there's too much torque at lower speeds it becomes difficult to smoothly accelerate out of corners and into/through transitions. If the gearing is too tall (for high speeds) then either 2nd is too high or 3rd is too low. If the gearing is too low (for 1/4 mile type speeds) then you spend too much time shifting between 2nd and 3rd trying to find the right combo for corners, and believe it or not that can actually slow down your lap times.

Ideally you want a smooth and usable 2nd gear for low to medium speed corners and 3rd can handle everything else, unless it's a high speed bank or sweeper. You don't want too much power too quick or the back end will want to kick around on you when you're trying to accelerate out of a corner or out/into a transition between corners.

My recommendation before you start messing with the gears in the differential is to spend the money at a reputable high performance driving school and learn how to wring the most out of what you already have. THEN you'll have a much better idea of what mods you want to make because you now have the skill and experience with your car to know what needs improving, how much, and why.
Doc, I appreciate your post. I constantly use your thread as a reference with all the info you have in there for weight loss.

i know you have gone down to 19's on your wheels. since that has an effect on your gearing, your 3.45 gearing may feel similar to a camaro on 20's with 3,91's, no? there are calculators to figure out precisely what the equivalents are...

so with your 19's, weight loss, and stock diff, you like the gearing setup for track? you ever considering swapping the gears out?
__________________
Bomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #11
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomino View Post
Doc, I appreciate your post. I constantly use your thread as a reference with all the info you have in there for weight loss.

i know you have gone down to 19's on your wheels. since that has an effect on your gearing, your 3.45 gearing may feel similar to a camaro on 20's with 3,91's, no? there are calculators to figure out precisely what the equivalents are...

so with your 19's, weight loss, and stock diff, you like the gearing setup for track? you ever considering swapping the gears out?
Well thank you.

I haven't calculated the difference but it's probably not much; maybe like a 3.55 or thereabouts. A 3.91 gearing with 20" wheels would probably pull more like my setup but depending on the track you're on, you'd spend more time shifting between 2nd and 3rd than I do and I'd definitely get you on top end. Plus the weight difference gives me an advantage on quickness of response and cornering agility.

I like the trans and diff gear ratios Chevy chose for the 1LE and I'm assuming they'll be the same (or very close to it) for the Z/28. The extra pull you have with the 3.91 makes 3rd gear usable in most corners except either very slow or long fast ones where you can get into 4th for a bit. On a big Nascar track like the one near me I can get into 5th before going into the bank on turn 1. But that's a hybrid infield road course that uses part of the Nascar track. A true road course is road course only and you're most likely not going to see taking a giant sweeper in 5th gear.

The gearing combo I have right now works pretty good for me. If I had taller gears in the diff I'd have to shift out of 2nd too quick so I'd be either hitting the rev limiter in the middle of a corner, or shifting in the middle which isn't a great idea. If I went into it in 3rd I'd be pretty low in the power band going through the corner and losing exit speed coming out.

The cam I chose gives up some horsepower on the top end in exchange for more torque earlier and more in the mid-range so at 3,500 rpm 3rd gear really starts to come alive. If I come out of a corner in 2nd at 4,500-5,000 then shift into 3rd it drops to around 3,500+ rpm and the car pulls like it's on a turbo. It's a real blast.

Right now I want better tires. There's a lot I can improve including my driving skills before I would need to start changing gear ratios.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #12
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family
 
1977and2010's Avatar
 
Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dunedin FL
Posts: 795
I've got the 3.91 in mine and I like them. My car pulls so much harder out of the corners and all around. I've gotten decent with heel and toeing with 3rd and 4th but 2nd I just couldn't get it smooth. With the gears I avoid 2nd almost all together and use 3, 4, 5. As far as having too much power coming out of corners, that's what's called car control.
__________________
1977and2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.