Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #71
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 LS Camaro
to prolong brake life is a stupid reason to do this, 1. because there is no brake wear anyway and 2. brakes are cheap and transmissions are not..

now on the subject of shifting into neutral, once I read in a service station that shifting into neutral at lights was good for your torque converter because you didn't have that constant push on the driveltrain creating extra heat and everything,,

I did it with my old 2000 Camaro all the time, partially because I hated holding my foot on the brake for 5 minutes waiting for a light and because I thought I was helping the transmission.,

a few week ago I read about this online and concluded that it is not good for the transmission because you're only putting more wear on the tranny by making it shift in & out of gear every time.
CyberPunk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #72
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 LS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
Well your wasting gas and doing unnecessary shifting. Why not just let off the gas. Shifting into neutral isn't even something to be thought of. It makes no sense.

I only used to do it because I hated having to hold the brake pedal for 5 minutes waiting for a light, in fact if I knew it was a long light I would just put it in park.

even if I was in a traffic jam and going down hill, I would put it in neutral and just coast down hill to avoid all that shifting.

so it does make sense in some cases.
CyberPunk223 is offline   Reply With Quote