Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Forced Induction - V6 V6 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 04-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
BigPopa71

Drives: Dark Knight
SS or IPF Supercharger and Brembos

I was thinking about trading my car but I think I would save money just bolting on an IPF supercharger and some brembos. I have put about ten grand in my car and I can't see getting a new Camaro just to say its a V-8. I still have some BBK long tube headers under the bed and I think with the supercharger and brembos I will come out with a healthier pocket and a pretty fast ride? Plus I love my RS. What do you think?
BigPopa71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Maurdib

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2LT/RS Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPopa71 View Post
I was thinking about trading my car but I think I would save money just bolting on an IPF supercharger and some brembos. I have put about ten grand in my car and I can't see getting a new Camaro just to say its a V-8. I still have some BBK long tube headers under the bed and I think with the supercharger and brembos I will come out with a healthier pocket and a pretty fast ride? Plus I love my RS. What do you think?

Do it, because it you will get the best of both worlds, great power, great MPG's
Old 04-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Johnthegreat

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS black camaro
Go v8. The sounds amazing.
Johnthegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
SgtPickles69
Team LFX

Drives: Fast
Sound of supercharger > Sound of V8 imo
SgtPickles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: Supercharged V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPickles69 View Post
Sound of supercharger > Sound of V8 imo
Sound of supercharger + V8>>>

Lol Jk but a S/C V6 is always different and unique to me. Good luck!
Old 04-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
KMPrenger

Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
IPF supercharger + BBK long tube headers is a very sweet combination for the V6 in my opinion. May not have the torque of the SS down low, but the rush of the power as you climb through the powerband is "intoxicating" from what one of my Camaro5 buddies tells me.

With that combo you'll be making somewhere between 480 - 500 HP at peak power....basically if you have the car in the right rpm range you should be a bit quicker than a stock SS. Definitely a 12 second quarter mile car if you can drive.
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
BigPopa71

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
IPF supercharger + BBK long tube headers is a very sweet combination for the V6 in my opinion. May not have the torque of the SS down low, but the rush of the power as you climb through the powerband is "intoxicating" from what one of my Camaro5 buddies tells me.

With that combo you'll be making somewhere between 480 - 500 HP at peak power....basically if you have the car in the right rpm range you should be a bit quicker than a stock SS. Definitely a 12 second quarter mile car if you can drive.
Wow! I'm sold!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Wow! I'm sold!
If you even think of upgrading further or something like that, definitely do the v8. After getting a supercharger, anything more and you sacrifice reliability. If it's a daily driver, that could be a big issue. If you think you'll be satisfied with the supercharger and that's it, a boosted v6 sure is unique

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
KMPrenger

Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
If you even think of upgrading further or something like that, definitely do the v8. After getting a supercharger, anything more and you sacrifice reliability. If it's a daily driver, that could be a big issue. If you think you'll be satisfied with the supercharger and that's it, a boosted v6 sure is unique
I agree with this. You'll be looking at around 380 - 400 horse at the wheels. (my comment earlier was power at the crank). If you think you'll ever want more than that...its just better to go V8 b/c the money involved in getting a V6 to make that kind of power reliably is way way more expensive.

May want to consider the optional warranty that IPF offers as well.
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #10
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
There is always something more ! If your not satisfied with the V8 there's always a v10 viper. This is just crazy. A V6 SC is a great option if you want a daily driver with upper 400hp. The IPF is really a robust install that should have no more issues than a SS. The Vortec SC is really a reliable piece of hardware.
I now have the power I want and have had a great time doing this. SC permagrin !
Old 04-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: `12 LFX/`11 EB F-150/`13 Sonic RS
Quote:
What year is your car? What are your ultimate goals? What kind of mods are included in the $10K? If you have a 2012+ you have a lot of room to grow with what you have, but you will be a bit more limited with an early car until other mods come out. If your goal is a real high HP car then you will probably do what most other's have done, complete rebuild of a LS3/L99 or engine swap with the SS to, so it's hard to say if it is cheaper to go the trade-in route or not. If you are looking for stock SS power from a V6 then it will almost certainly be cheaper to add FI to what you have. Can't say how much you might get for your current mods, but you might get lucky and recoup most of that in the classified section. Good luck.
Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #12
BigPopa71

I have a 2011 1LT RS my performance mods are only exhaust and cold air intake. The other mods are in the wheels, system and short throw shifter and some of the 2LT options like gauge pack and stuff like that. I only drive my car on weekends but its my only ride. I'm actually happy with the current speed. Bit I wouldn't mind having SS power. I haven't put my headers on because I know I will need a tune and figured I would wait until I decided on a supercharger. I'm not looking for 600 hp. But I would love if my car ran in the 12's.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #13
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
I have a 2011 1LT RS my performance mods are only exhaust and cold air intake. The other mods are in the wheels, system and short throw shifter and some of the 2LT options like gauge pack and stuff like that. I only drive my car on weekends but its my only ride. I'm actually happy with the current speed. Bit I wouldn't mind having SS power. I haven't put my headers on because I know I will need a tune and figured I would wait until I decided on a supercharger. I'm not looking for 600 hp. But I would love if my car ran in the 12's.
It sounds like you might be happy just throwing in the supercharger then. Reason I say this is because if you've spent that much on a system and such, it'd probably be a pain to return everything back to stock because it must be a pretty involved system. Also, you say you're pretty happy with your current speed. Well then a supercharger will be enough to get you to SS power levels while keeping everything you currently have.

To make your car run 12s, you'll probably need the supercharger, add the headers, and some really good drag radials or slicks. Don't know if you want to go all out and get the stickier tires but I think you might be able to either run real low 13s or high 12s on that combination. A member already ran a 12 with just the IPF supercharger and on stock wheels and tires. So you should be pretty close with drag radials after you get the hang of your launch.

But take into account that's about the farthest you'll be able to push the car and still have near stock reliability. Any more and you're better off trading for a v8

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:26 PM   #14
Swarm

Drives: 2013 Mustang V6
SS is a better option

S/C on V6 is unique and all

but SS is still a better option

[BBK LT Headers] [Trifecta Tune] [Injen Intake] [Black Iceloater] [MRT V2 Exhaust] [Sold]

Swarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #15
Nutbutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarm View Post
SS is a better option

S/C on V6 is unique and all

but SS is still a better option
Not if you have driven a V6 SC ! Try one you might change your mind.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #16
Swarm

Drives: 2013 Mustang V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
Not if you have driven a V6 SC ! Try one you might change your mind.
If I could, I would put SC in my car
To me, I love being the underdog and surprising people with underestimated V6
But in world of realism, SS is the better option

[BBK LT Headers] [Trifecta Tune] [Injen Intake] [Black Iceloater] [MRT V2 Exhaust] [Sold]

Swarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #17
Ice Demon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
SS all day.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:18 AM   #18
GretchenGotGrowl

Can you guys that keep talking about the reliability give us a link to some information about that? As far as I know we haven't seen much break on boosted cars that wasn't already breaking on stock cars.
Build Thread
Old 04-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #19
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
You can move most those mods over to the new car, but I'm guessing you didn't save your old wheels/tires and shifter. Without those swapping to the new car and using yours as a trade-in would be difficult. If it were me, I'd go the SC route. The only way I can see getting into an SS for the same cost would be to "settle" for one with more mileage and less options than you have now. You also have to wonder what the prior owner did to their car and how the treated it. From you other thread, I would guess you KNOW you've take real good care of you car.
Build Thread
Old 04-21-2013, 08:01 AM   #20
BigPopa71

Im going with the SC! Im going to drive my car to the wheels fall off! I dont want to get caught in the Matrix. First you trade for an SS, then you trade for a Z28 then you trade for a ZL1. My car is actuall very satisfying but a SC would give me some extra thrill out of my V6!. Plus I have a two year old a need to start looking for a SUV or truck for her comfort. This way I can keep my car and afford another for my kid! Thanks Guys!

P.S. KMPrenger what is the part number for the Magnaflow resonators. You already know my exhaust is loud but when I put my headers on it will then be a little over the top even for me! LOL
Old 04-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #21
Nutbutt

The weakest link on these SC systems would be the belt. This is the same for any car.
Don't open the hood and the V8 and the SC V6 are basicly the same. Most of these V8 people aren't ever going to use the so called "V8 Potential" to do anything more than a SC V6. This may not be an option for all but if you are interested in a car that gets great MPGs, lower insurance rates and the same reliability this should be a an option for most. If you haven't driven a SC V6 you really don't know what your missing This is a great daily driver !
Old 04-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #22
OKCwhiteKnight

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Camaro 2007 HHR Panel
Part of me would like having the sound of a cammed V8,other than that,I agree with whats been said in favor of Keeping the SC'd V6.Uniqueness,cost,etc.Pretty much done with the cosmetics of my car,looking to SC soon.

OKCwhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #23
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 2013 2LT RS Camaro
I plan on SC my V6 ride sometime next year!
Performance Upgrades: CAI Intake, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, RX Catch Can, MRT 2.0 Exhaust w/ Magnaflow X Pipe & custom J-Pipes, 1LE Strut Brace, SS Brembo Brakes w/ Hawk HPS Pads & Goodridge brake lines, 1LE Suspension Upgrade, 1" Eibach lowering springs.
Exterior Upgrades: Ceramic Tint 30%, Axis Allies rims 20x9(front) 20x10(rear), Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar G:2 Tries 285 (front) x 305 (rear), ACS T-5 Front Splitter, Oracle Lighted Rear Bowtie, rk sport spoiler.
Audio Upgrades: Image Dynamics 10" Subwoofer w/custom leather box, ID 5 Channel Amp, Audio Control LC 6, Morel 6.5" Coax Speakers
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #24
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS "Hot Blown Six"
I still have the same belt on my SC V6, 10k miles so far and track time, all good...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...75#post6451575

2012 LS M6,ZL1Brakes, OEM Foglights (BCM Flashed for Fogs),4 Pack Guages, Factory Reproduction Wheels,Nitto NT05 tires 275/315 stagger, Leather OEM Steering Wheel,Hurst Shifter, GM Hurst Leather Shifter knob,OEM Leather Console top,Carbon Fiber Stripe Package,Emblems with Carbon overlays, ZL1 Grill,LSR Stage 4 susp,1LE Strut Brace, SOLO Cats and Exhaust, 1LE Struts/shocks, IPF Supercharger-Redline Motorsports, FSP Tuning
sycraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:55 PM   #25
gutterball

Drives: 2011 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
Sycraft, I'm the Blk V6 you meet at the Bowling Lanes in Pt. St. Lucie, I've found a shop here in Ct. that will do the IPF install. Do you have the Pwr Train warentee?? and if yes how much was it.
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote