Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #43
camguynj

Drives: 2013 SS/RS LS3 NPP BRM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJT-SS View Post
After the LTs and HF cats, it really depends on the type of sound and volume you are looking for. For example, a Borla ATAK catback system is loud and raspy....a Stainless Works Retro Chambered catback is loud, deep, and rumbling. On the other end is something like a Borla Touring is just slightly above stock. There are many quality systems out there. You just need to listen to as many as you can, in person if possible, and pick what you like.

Keep in mind that all systems will be amplified by LTs anf HF cats. Check out the exhaust sticky with a good set of ear buds to get some ideas.
Very helpful! Thanks
CAI, Ported TB, Hurst ShortShifter,SkipShift Eliminator, 3.91 gears, Spohn rear TAs, BMR rear swaybar, Hedmen Shortys, Solo HF Cats, QTP Cutouts, DashLogic,Elite CC,Vitesse Throttle Controller,CurbAlert
Appearance:
20" Nitto Redlines, Rocket Muscle Boosters w/knockoff spinners,
Underbody LEDs, Footwell ,Dome & Door pull LEDs, RapidFire LED Tailights , DRL LEDs, Chrome Ghost parking lights,
Lloyds Mats, SS Kick Plates, Bowtie Hoodliner, '67 fender flags, Billet pedals, Heritage SS grill & deck emblems, rear deck blackout, custom engine brace
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:27 AM   #44
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMBLE-B-TUNA View Post
Great write up, good info. 1 7/8 Stainless Power here and couldn't be happier .
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYDLIFECRISIS View Post
Very informative! I need to dump the stock exhaust and make this thing sound like it should! Could you recommend a complete set-up from headers to tips?
Quote:
After the LTs and HF cats, it really depends on the type of sound and volume you are looking for. For example, a Borla ATAK catback system is loud and raspy....a Stainless Works Retro Chambered catback is loud, deep, and rumbling. On the other end is something like a Borla Touring is just slightly above stock. There are many quality systems out there. You just need to listen to as many as you can, in person if possible, and pick what you like.

Keep in mind that all systems will be amplified by LTs anf HF cats. Check out the exhaust sticky with a good set of ear buds to get some ideas.
RJT-SS nailed it once again. It really depends on what kind of sound you prefer. Feel free to send me a PM or give us a call it you would like to discuss it in more detail.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #45
theblueSS

Drives: midnight blue 2010 m6 ss ls3
I've been looking at Stainless Works Headers With 2" Primaries And 3" Catted along with their 3" cat back exhaust for my ls3 which will have a vararam intake by the time i get that set up. Do you think that it would actually detrimental rather than beneficial to get the Stainless Works Headers With 2" Primaries And 3" Catted instead of the Stainless Works Headers With 1-7/8" Primaries And 3" Catted because of the size? Both cost relatively the same.
theblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #46
RJT-SS

Drives: '11 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblueSS View Post
I've been looking at Stainless Works Headers With 2" Primaries And 3" Catted along with their 3" cat back exhaust for my ls3 which will have a vararam intake by the time i get that set up. Do you think that it would actually detrimental rather than beneficial to get the Stainless Works Headers With 2" Primaries And 3" Catted instead of the Stainless Works Headers With 1-7/8" Primaries And 3" Catted because of the size? Both cost relatively the same.
Consider your long term goals for your car before deciding what you buy because you can handle a lot of HP with a 2.5" exhaust. Also, while it is relatively rare, there could be a clearance issue on the headers so a 1 7/8" vs a 2" buys you an 1/8" of clearance right out the box.

I don't have a header or exhaust size preference either way. I just think knowing where you are heading with your engine will help answer the question more clearly.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #47
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Consider your long term goals for your car before deciding what you buy because you can handle a lot of HP with a 2.5" exhaust. Also, while it is relatively rare, there could be a clearance issue on the headers so a 1 7/8" vs a 2" buys you an 1/8" of clearance right out the box.

I don't have a header or exhaust size preference either way. I just think knowing where you are heading with your engine will help answer the question more clearly.
Again, RJT-SS kills it.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #48
2010 4 DW
Account Suspended

Drives: White 2010 RS/SS
If you race your car then 1 7/8" will get you in the low 10's if not the 9's so make sure to buy what you can afford at the end of the day.

Here is Padre SS running 10.3's with JBA 1 7/8" LT's and FULL exhaust so the 409ss should not a deal breaker. SLP products are 409ss and I see none of their parts failing on this forum.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...highlight=jba*
2010 4 DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #49
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 4 DW View Post
If you race your car then 1 7/8" will get you in the low 10's if not the 9's so make sure to buy what you can afford at the end of the day.

Here is Padre SS running 10.3's with JBA 1 7/8" LT's and FULL exhaust so the 409ss should not a deal breaker. SLP products are 409ss and I see none of their parts failing on this forum.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...highlight=jba*
1 7/8" is definitely sufficient for the vast majority of Camaros running around out there.

No one is suggesting 400 series stainless steel is so poor that it will quickly fall apart or fail. It is OEM grade so it will have a decent service life. It will surface rust pretty quickly though and it may have to be replaced at some point while you own the car. Neither of those will ever happen with 300 series. It is a give and take like anything else.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #50
theblueSS

Drives: midnight blue 2010 m6 ss ls3
but if i got the 2" then the power gains would still be as significant if not more on a N/A engine as the 1 7/8"?
by the way thank you for the input.
theblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 AM   #51
sub zero

Drives: RED@2SS
what size of catback work better with 1 7/8 LT headers , 2.5" or 3" catback ?
Old 04-23-2013, 05:28 AM   #52
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub zero View Post
That depends on how much power you are making. It makes no difference up to about the 600rwhp range. At that point you need 3 inch but below that either is fine.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #53
2010 4 DW
Account Suspended

Drives: White 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
1 7/8" is definitely sufficient for the vast majority of Camaros running around out there.

No one is suggesting 400 series stainless steel is so poor that it will quickly fall apart or fail. It is OEM grade so it will have a decent service life. It will surface rust pretty quickly though and it may have to be replaced at some point while you own the car. Neither of those will ever happen with 300 series. It is a give and take like anything else.
Right on!

I have ALWAYS done ceramic coating on my headers so I have never worried about surface rust. Thanks for all the info!
2010 4 DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #54
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub zero View Post
Realize that almost all of the aftermarket cat-back systems are designed to bolt up to a stock mid-pipe. Due to that fact they are going to have a 2.5" inlet. For example, I run the Magnaflow 3" (16483) system. That system starts off with a 2.5" inlet and then goes to 3" shortly after the connection point. On the same token pretty much every LT header out there is going to have a 2.5" connection point at the end of the collector. Again, so that they can connect up to the stock cat-back if need be.

So, unless you buy a true 3" system (I think only LG and KOOKS have them) then you're going to have a 2.5" bottle neck any way.

With that being said, unless you are making big HP, you'll never see or feel this slight restriction. There are tons of fast Camaros that have the 2.5" inlet to a 3" system. Don't concern yourself in that bottle neck. There are so many other variables like weather conditions that will make a more significant difference that I wouldn't even think twice about it (unless you're making really big HP....maybe 700+).

So, what do you get in the difference of a 2.5" system all the way out vs a 2.5" inlet/3" system.......Sound. The 3" systems are going to have a little bit deeper rumble especially on start up and idle. I would lean towards a 3" system just for that reason but a 2.5" system will do you just fine.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #55
sub zero

Drives: RED@2SS
i have Headers with magnaflow 3" (16483) it's sound nice deep , some guys says the headers with 2.5" catback gives better pressure of flow than 3" catback but nice to know there is no different ..
Old 04-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #56
RedWS601

Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500
ARH 1 7/8's, high flow cats and Magnaflow (one muffler) cat-back was on my WS6. It sounded nice not loud and raspy but deep and smooth. I recommend those two. And yes HP gain too: I think 35hpand 25tq with this etup.
RedWS601 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arh, headers, kooks, long tube headers, stainless works