Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
SNL Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #76
Wizard1183

 
Wizard1183's Avatar
 
Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lafayette,LA
Posts: 1,261
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
gm wanted to stick true to the z28 history and give us the most expensive Camaro ever! this Camaro is in no way like the first z28.....sure someone turned it into a track car and raced it, but this isn't exactly that..... that wasn't done in house. and all the z28's of later years were crap....especially my favorite(sarcasm)....the late 2nd gens and early 3rd gens! so really, there is nothing in this car that shows me what rolled off the line in 69....... its going to be overpriced.....in a new category of cars because the price has taken it out of the American sports car category and thrown it into the European car category...... this is why it will fail. it will be a hit amongst Camaro enthusiast....but not the rest of the world....Europeans will laugh.
I agree about the history and europeans will never drool over this Z/28.

They know they screwed it up and IMO a camaro purist has blinders on not to see it. It's going to be a great car to own! But they could've done something with an SS to stay true to homeage and offer 25-50HP option on the SS at the very least.

I posted my thoughts on the future of camaro, but they may not make a 6th gen. It's quite possible they hang it up instead of ****ing it up. Who knows? Somehow I think the camaro if made into a 6th gen will be a 3 yr production and then ended.
__________________


Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #77
2010_5thgen


 
2010_5thgen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Acadia Denali
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,274
from what ive heard the "6th gen is underway and has been for a while....or the next alpha platform vehicle. supposedly its not going to have camaro styling to it and will be all new. they could very well change the name of what would be the camaro just to draw more interest.

on the european topic....they dont like much about any of our cars. automatic transmissions are crap on high performance vehicles.... seats are junk.... plastics...cars too big..too heavy.... they dont like the ls motors...too slow reving....and they hate chrome.... i dont see how they can say this is a "track car" true to its roots, when the thing weighs almost 4k lbs!!! thats not true to its " light weight" roots..... everyone in racing knows, you need a light car.... not a heavy pig with light rear glass...
__________________

2012 Porsche Panamera 4
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #78
Wizard1183

 
Wizard1183's Avatar
 
Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lafayette,LA
Posts: 1,261
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
from what ive heard the "6th gen is underway and has been for a while....or the next alpha platform vehicle. supposedly its not going to have camaro styling to it and will be all new. they could very well change the name of what would be the camaro just to draw more interest.

on the european topic....they dont like much about any of our cars. automatic transmissions are crap on high performance vehicles.... seats are junk.... plastics...cars too big..too heavy.... they dont like the ls motors...too slow reving....and they hate chrome.... i dont see how they can say this is a "track car" true to its roots, when the thing weighs almost 4k lbs!!! thats not true to its " light weight" roots..... everyone in racing knows, you need a light car.... not a heavy pig with light rear glass...
lol well they have trademarked the chevelle recently! So a name change isnt too far off!
__________________


Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #79
shaffe

 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 1,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
this is why it will fail. it will be a hit amongst Camaro enthusiast....but not the rest of the world....Europeans will laugh.
The Z/28 is going to run into the same problem Corvette's do when they get compared to european cars. Yeah it may be faster, perform better at less of a price, but they will argue "its still a Camaro." Sad part is that is how the world will look at, just a camaro. Just like many people did when M/T compared the ZR1 to a Ferrari, many looked down at the ZR1 bc it was just a corvette. It's sad, but true
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #80
Bad@ssCamaro
Ist State Chevy Supporter
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 1SS/1LE...in 2014
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 4,915
Who gives a rat's ass what the Europeans think about the Camaro, that is not the MAIN intended market for it. Sure you'll get a small minority of people over there who have an appreciation for pony/muscle cars, but to think we are trying to win over BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Lamborghini drivers, that's just..... GM is trying to satisfy the niche here. How did this get into a debate about how long the Camaro was going to last...again?
__________________
Former Camaros: (gone but not forgotten)
1976 LT Black/Black 305 V8 (Bone Stock)
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Next Camaro:
CRT 1SS/RS/1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #81
Wizard1183

 
Wizard1183's Avatar
 
Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lafayette,LA
Posts: 1,261
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Who gives a rat's ass what the Europeans think about the Camaro, that is not the MAIN intended market for it. Sure you'll get a small minority of people over there who have an appreciation for pony/muscle cars, but to think we are trying to win over BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Lamborghini drivers, that's just..... GM is trying to satisfy the niche here. How did this get into a debate about how long the Camaro was going to last...again?
I agree, I don't care what Europeans think about our cars.

This I don't agree. Reason being is with maybe the exception of Ferrari and Lamborghini, those mentioned among OTHER foreign cars play a major role in track racing TODAY. This is NOT Chevy Camaro vs ford and dodge. Those days are long gone! The corvette is racing against all the euro cars you've mentioned and the camaro is getting its feet wet in track racing these models though that's short lived....
__________________


Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #82
2010_5thgen


 
2010_5thgen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Acadia Denali
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Who gives a rat's ass what the Europeans think about the Camaro, that is not the MAIN intended market for it. Sure you'll get a small minority of people over there who have an appreciation for pony/muscle cars, but to think we are trying to win over BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, Lamborghini drivers, that's just..... GM is trying to satisfy the niche here. How did this get into a debate about how long the Camaro was going to last...again?
because the camaro will be put into a group with track ready cars like porsche...thats why it matters. its out of any classes here in the US market... so now you need to find cars to compare it against....not to mention its higher price will throw it right out of most comparissons of US cars...... you tell me who it should be compared to?
__________________

2012 Porsche Panamera 4
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #83
2010_5thgen


 
2010_5thgen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Acadia Denali
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
I agree, I don't care what Europeans think about our cars.

This I don't agree. Reason being is with maybe the exception of Ferrari and Lamborghini, those mentioned among OTHER foreign cars play a major role in track racing TODAY. This is NOT Chevy Camaro vs ford and dodge. Those days are long gone! The corvette is racing against all the euro cars you've mentioned and the camaro is getting its feet wet in track racing these models though that's short lived....
there is good and bad tt this car and gm now. because everything in GM is getting better, weve basically beaten all US car companies across the board. now GM is going for the world market. like the ATS aiming at the 3 series...and the new CTS... the new vette aiming at the Ferrari. Cadillac bringing its luxury to a new level comparable to Mercedes. this camaro is now in a league of its own and needs competition. where else to look but the more expensive European market.
__________________

2012 Porsche Panamera 4
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #84
2010_5thgen


 
2010_5thgen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Acadia Denali
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
The Z/28 is going to run into the same problem Corvette's do when they get compared to european cars. Yeah it may be faster, perform better at less of a price, but they will argue "its still a Camaro." Sad part is that is how the world will look at, just a camaro. Just like many people did when M/T compared the ZR1 to a Ferrari, many looked down at the ZR1 bc it was just a corvette. It's sad, but true
american cars a great bang for your buck...but you get better quality out of european cars....as far as fit and finish and just pure heritage. porsche, mercedes, audi, bmw....all have great heritage in the race world and make great motors and even better automatic shifter. GM paddle shifters suck compared ot a porsche or mercedes. this is where alot of european dollars go to. not to mention there suspension are years ahead of US. these are just some reasons why euro cars are more pricier than US. chevy is just finally (last 10 years maybe)listening to the racing world with the corvette racing team and using that info for the cars. all the european names i listed have been integrating their findings from racing into the street cars for decades.
__________________

2012 Porsche Panamera 4
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #85
Bad@ssCamaro
Ist State Chevy Supporter
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 1SS/1LE...in 2014
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 4,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
I agree, I don't care what Europeans think about our cars.

This I don't agree. Reason being is with maybe the exception of Ferrari and Lamborghini, those mentioned among OTHER foreign cars play a major role in track racing TODAY. This is NOT Chevy Camaro vs ford and dodge. Those days are long gone! The corvette is racing against all the euro cars you've mentioned and the camaro is getting its feet wet in track racing these models though that's short lived....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
because the camaro will be put into a group with track ready cars like porsche...thats why it matters. its out of any classes here in the US market... so now you need to find cars to compare it against....not to mention its higher price will throw it right out of most comparissons of US cars...... you tell me who it should be compared to?
You guys are talking about the 2%'ers, I'm talking about the other 98% that just want a Camaro for everyday driving. I'm not sure if you realize this but we aren't really competing when those of us have cars that take it to the road track for HPDE sessions. You're looking for optimal performance when you do and to get the most bang for the buck, and in that regards, we have those euro boys beat by a mile when comparing new to new.

You can't compare a Camaro to Porsche in one sense because they are two different types of cars. Though it is cool that we can now be at a level to perform almost as well. I think if the growth of HPDE is for real, we will be fine. Just get out there and have fun
__________________
Former Camaros: (gone but not forgotten)
1976 LT Black/Black 305 V8 (Bone Stock)
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Next Camaro:
CRT 1SS/RS/1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #86
Wizard1183

 
Wizard1183's Avatar
 
Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lafayette,LA
Posts: 1,261
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
because the camaro will be put into a group with track ready cars like porsche...thats why it matters. its out of any classes here in the US market... so now you need to find cars to compare it against....not to mention its higher price will throw it right out of most comparissons of US cars...... you tell me who it should be compared to?
I guess Fiat!
__________________


Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #87
2010_5thgen


 
2010_5thgen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Acadia Denali
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
You guys are talking about the 2%'ers, I'm talking about the other 98% that just want a Camaro for everyday driving. I'm not sure if you realize this but we aren't really competing when those of us have cars that take it to the road track for HPDE sessions. You're looking for optimal performance when you do and to get the most bang for the buck, and in that regards, we have those euro boys beat by a mile when comparing new to new.

You can't compare a Camaro to Porsche in one sense because they are two different types of cars. Though it is cool that we can now be at a level to perform almost as well. I think if the growth of HPDE is for real, we will be fine. Just get out there and have fun
most bang for your buck for road racing ......ariel atom...want doors? used GTR...that is the best bang for your buck by far!
__________________

2012 Porsche Panamera 4
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #88
tones2SS


 
tones2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 Roush S3 05 Dodge Ram Daytona
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,802
I would love a 1LE with a LS7 if priced accordingly. You could daily drive it and track it without worry. And, still have all the creature comforts if that's what you wanted.
Also, think of all the mods to go with that LS7.
__________________
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #89
Bad@ssCamaro
Ist State Chevy Supporter
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 1SS/1LE...in 2014
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 4,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
most bang for your buck for road racing ......ariel atom...want doors? used GTR...that is the best bang for your buck by far!

Still cant drive the Atom on the street. For the GTR, like Zfatuated mentioned, it has it's drawbacks as well.
__________________
Former Camaros: (gone but not forgotten)
1976 LT Black/Black 305 V8 (Bone Stock)
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Next Camaro:
CRT 1SS/RS/1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #90
2010_5thgen


 
2010_5thgen's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Acadia Denali
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,274
actually, yeah you can.....
__________________

2012 Porsche Panamera 4
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:30 AM   #91
jsd
 
jsd's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL 1 #370
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
american cars a great bang for your buck...but you get better quality out of european cars....as far as fit and finish and just pure heritage. porsche, mercedes, audi, bmw....all have great heritage in the race world and make great motors and even better automatic shifter. GM paddle shifters suck compared ot a porsche or mercedes. this is where alot of european dollars go to. not to mention there suspension are years ahead of US. these are just some reasons why euro cars are more pricier than US. chevy is just finally (last 10 years maybe)listening to the racing world with the corvette racing team and using that info for the cars. all the european names i listed have been integrating their findings from racing into the street cars for decades.
Sorry, but this is bullshit. I am in europe at home, and a lot of the mercedes,bmw and audi, there are in the same price segment how the camaro, arent not so good as the camaro.

Sure, when you buy a mercedes for 200000 dollar, you have a awesome mercedes, but its not all gold.

The normal audis, bmw,mercedes and all the other euopean cars are just nothing special.
jsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #92
Zfatuated

 
Drives: BAC Mono
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reno
Posts: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
You can't compare a Camaro to Porsche in one sense because they are two different types of cars. Though it is cool that we can now be at a level to perform as well or better at half the cost.
There, I fixed that for you

In the real world, the only Porsche to run close to the Z/28 will be a current 991 GT3, or last iteration GT3RS. You are talking $130-$150k+. The Porsche Turbo is a dog on track, no serious tracker runs one. GT2's are pretty quick but damn hard to drive fast because of the turbo lag.
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #93
Boris632
 
Drives: 1955 210
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Rockford
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
american cars a great bang for your buck...but you get better quality out of european cars....as far as fit and finish and just pure heritage. porsche, mercedes, audi, bmw....all have great heritage in the race world and make great motors and even better automatic shifter. GM paddle shifters suck compared ot a porsche or mercedes. this is where alot of european dollars go to. not to mention there suspension are years ahead of US. these are just some reasons why euro cars are more pricier than US. chevy is just finally (last 10 years maybe)listening to the racing world with the corvette racing team and using that info for the cars. all the european names i listed have been integrating their findings from racing into the street cars for decades.
no you don't. Not at all. If anything the quality of European cars is going down. I have worked on a few and they are nothing special.

In terms of quality do you mean leather wrapped dash boards and projector lights that turn with your steering wheel?

Then maybe. But new Caddys and even the new Jeep GC are pretty nice in that department too
Boris632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #94
Bad@ssCamaro
Ist State Chevy Supporter
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 1SS/1LE...in 2014
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 4,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
There, I fixed that for you

In the real world, the only Porsche to run close to the Z/28 will be a current 991 GT3, or last iteration GT3RS. You are talking $130-$150k+. The Porsche Turbo is a dog on track, no serious tracker runs one. GT2's are pretty quick but damn hard to drive fast because of the turbo lag.
That's cool, you know better than I do
__________________
Former Camaros: (gone but not forgotten)
1976 LT Black/Black 305 V8 (Bone Stock)
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Next Camaro:
CRT 1SS/RS/1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #95
Bad@ssCamaro
Ist State Chevy Supporter
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 1SS/1LE...in 2014
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 4,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
actually, yeah you can.....
Ha Ha, good luck with that...

http://www.andysatom.com/legal.html
__________________
Former Camaros: (gone but not forgotten)
1976 LT Black/Black 305 V8 (Bone Stock)
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Next Camaro:
CRT 1SS/RS/1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.