Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
toehead93


 
Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: wpb fl
Posts: 2,761
Stock Brakes

For those that have tracked your 1LE, how have the stock brakes been for you? I have Hawk HP+ pads, stainless braided lines, and ATE superblue fluid and my first track day I had no barking issues. Although the track was not break heavy configuration. I am thinking about upgrading my 1LE when it arrives with CTS-V front breaks but I am curious to see how you guys are doing with the stock setup.
__________________
Used Racing Brake 2 Peice Rotors for sale:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344754

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
cornerspeed92


 
cornerspeed92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,152
Mine were fine all day at Laguna, which is hard on brakes.I would prefer a harder feeling brake pedal,i wonder if the steel brake lines you put on will offer that feeling,but the brakes were fine all day,no fade what so ever.
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
Nick S

 
Nick S's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Verona, WI
Posts: 976
Regarding the stock 1LE brakes do the 1LE's come with different pads than the regular SS's? I know the calipers are the same (besides the paint color) but I wasn't sure about the pads.
__________________
Nick S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #4
toehead93


 
Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: wpb fl
Posts: 2,761
Same from everythin I have seen but not 100 percent on that.
__________________
Used Racing Brake 2 Peice Rotors for sale:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344754

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
Bad@ssCamaro
Rogers' Rocks :-)
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 5,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Mine were fine all day at Laguna, which is hard on brakes.I would prefer a harder feeling brake pedal,i wonder if the steel brake lines you put on will offer that feeling,but the brakes were fine all day,no fade what so ever.
Yes, I've read that switching out to SS brake lines will give you an improved feel to the brakes.
__________________
Former Camaros: (gone but not forgotten)
1976 LT Black/Black 305 V8 (Bone Stock)
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Current Camaro:
2015 CRT 1SS/1LE RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
Nick S

 
Nick S's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Verona, WI
Posts: 976
I was reading the 1LE dealer info PDF that was posted here a while back and in it there is a passage about the 1LE brake calipers that makes me wonder if there was a slight improvement made to the 1LE calipers or not.

Take a look at the image I snipped from the pdf here.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Nick S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: overseas
Posts: 3,549
HP+ will crap out on you if you use them hard, too low of a heat range.

And there are no bearings in calipers, they're probably talking about the upgraded wheel bearings which will help with lateral loads and nothing to do with braking. Yet another reason why dealers aren't who you should get performance info from.

But then again, it's all ball bearings these days.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
Phdpsy
 
Phdpsy's Avatar
 
Drives: SW 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 126
First track day at Texas World Speedway....8 20 minute sessions with only minor fade at the end of one session. Totally stock brakes and fluid. Changing out to Motul RBF 600 for Curcuit of the Americas first weekend in June. Thinking about pad options that will not be too bad for this 400 mile trip to and from as well as two full track days.
Phdpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
cornerspeed92


 
cornerspeed92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phdpsy View Post
First track day at Texas World Speedway....8 20 minute sessions with only minor fade at the end of one session. Totally stock brakes and fluid. Changing out to Motul RBF 600 for Curcuit of the Americas first weekend in June. Thinking about pad options that will not be too bad for this 400 mile trip to and from as well as two full track days.
Dude,I need info on your track day!! i want to run there and need to know which organizations are running there,thanks.
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #10
Abdi
 
Abdi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 46
I have a TPW of 4/22 for my 1LE so I have no experience with this particular car. Needless to say I can't wait to get in the seat.

With that said... I have been driving on tracks across North America like Mosport, Limerock, and Watkins Glen since 2005 and I would suggest the following to improve the feel of the brake pedal.

1. Steel braided brake hoses.
2. Brake cooling ducts.
3. Brake pads with a higher operating temperature range.
After the above is completed.
To reduce your brake distance
1. R compound tire.
Abdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
Abdi
 
Abdi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
I was reading the 1LE dealer info PDF that was posted here a while back and in it there is a passage about the 1LE brake calipers that makes me wonder if there was a slight improvement made to the 1LE calipers or not.

Take a look at the image I snipped from the pdf here.
I agree with the fellow who said the dealership is probably not the best place for accurate information because the wheel bearings are not a part of the caliper, but there is a possible improvement in brake pedal feel/ travel/response with a stiffer wheel bearing.

That improvement would be noticed in the "knock back" of the pads and caliper piston after high cornering loads when comparing the deflection of the two different wheel bearings.
Abdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
Phdpsy
 
Phdpsy's Avatar
 
Drives: SW 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Dude,I need info on your track day!! i want to run there and need to know which organizations are running there,thanks.
This is the one I had PM'd you about. It is a group of three TX BMW CCA clubs that got together for it. back at the end of last year. It was offered to members of those groups first, ad sold out in a day. I've been trying to watch for who else might be runing there later this year, but it is hard to get info. The Driver's Edge (the group I generally run with in TX...thedriversedge.net) was the first private group to run at COTA and it went great from my friends that ran it. They are likely going to set it up for at least annually. Might contact Rick (owner) through their site and ask. If I run across other upcoming events there, I'll PM you.
Phdpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #13
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28
 
Dropspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Suburbs of Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdi View Post

With that said... I have been driving on tracks across North America like Mosport, Limerock, and Watkins Glen since 2005 and I would suggest the following to improve the feel of the brake pedal.

1. Steel braided brake hoses.
2. Brake cooling ducts.
3. Brake pads with a higher operating temperature range.
After the above is completed.
To reduce your brake distance
1. R compound tire.
I have been racing and instructing since 1997 and I approve of this message! .

Those are all pretty standard upgrades across the board for most vehicles that work well. The one thing you forgot to add was DOT 4 brake fluid when you swap those lines.

Matt
__________________
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
Abdi
 
Abdi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
I have been racing and instructing since 1997 and I approve of this message! .

Those are all pretty standard upgrades across the board for most vehicles that work well. The one thing you forgot to add was DOT 4 brake fluid when you swap those lines.

Matt
I totally overlooked the fluid on my list, thank you for bringing that up. I would replace the fluid just like you, when the lines get replaced.
Abdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
bannonm

 
bannonm's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdi View Post
I totally overlooked the fluid on my list, thank you for bringing that up. I would replace the fluid just like you, when the lines get replaced.
If you are seriously going to track, then I suggest frequent bleeding as well. Most of you will never put brake ducts on, and I can tell you that after a day of HDPE that hub area will be smoking. I ran into this last year and the plastic center caps on my TSW literally softened and became loose. I run HP+ and Motul. I didn't have problems until the second half of the second day. Lesson learned and I'm running brake ducts this year.
__________________
bannonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #16
toehead93


 
Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: wpb fl
Posts: 2,761
I currently have the same setup as you but with ATE blue fluid and no ducts. I plan on doing Sebring in July which will be a better test than Daytona.
__________________
Used Racing Brake 2 Peice Rotors for sale:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344754

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #17
cornerspeed92


 
cornerspeed92's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 3,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phdpsy View Post
This is the one I had PM'd you about. It is a group of three TX BMW CCA clubs that got together for it. back at the end of last year. It was offered to members of those groups first, ad sold out in a day. I've been trying to watch for who else might be runing there later this year, but it is hard to get info. The Driver's Edge (the group I generally run with in TX...thedriversedge.net) was the first private group to run at COTA and it went great from my friends that ran it. They are likely going to set it up for at least annually. Might contact Rick (owner) through their site and ask. If I run across other upcoming events there, I'll PM you.
Thanks i appreciate it!
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #18
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28
 
Dropspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Suburbs of Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
If you are seriously going to track, then I suggest frequent bleeding as well. Most of you will never put brake ducts on, and I can tell you that after a day of HDPE that hub area will be smoking. I ran into this last year and the plastic center caps on my TSW literally softened and became loose. I run HP+ and Motul. I didn't have problems until the second half of the second day. Lesson learned and I'm running brake ducts this year.

I see it all the time. When I meet with the beginners before a track day one of the items discussed is removing center caps to prevent damage and allowing the heat to escape.
__________________
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:26 AM   #19
Bad@ssCamaro
Rogers' Rocks :-)
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 5,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
If you are seriously going to track, then I suggest frequent bleeding as well. Most of you will never put brake ducts on, and I can tell you that after a day of HDPE that hub area will be smoking. I ran into this last year and the plastic center caps on my TSW literally softened and became loose. I run HP+ and Motul. I didn't have problems until the second half of the second day. Lesson learned and I'm running brake ducts this year.
Do you only need to run brake ducts to the front since they are bearing most of the work?
__________________
Former Camaros: (gone but not forgotten)
1976 LT Black/Black 305 V8 (Bone Stock)
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Current Camaro:
2015 CRT 1SS/1LE RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:50 AM   #20
coreyaustin17
NEC5 C-HOLE CHAMP
 
coreyaustin17's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 camaro 2SS/RS 1LE 1 of 221
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: MYSTIC CT
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Do you only need to run brake ducts to the front since they are bearing most of the work?
imo i would say that is a good assumption not to mention the front brakes are dealing with a ton of residual heat from the engine bay
__________________
coreyaustin17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #21
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28
 
Dropspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Suburbs of Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Do you only need to run brake ducts to the front since they are bearing most of the work?
Simply yes, front ducts are what you would want.

Rear ducts will help as well, but for the majority here they are not necessary and are harder to fabricate.

Matt
__________________
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #22
X25

 
X25's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 AGM 1SS 1LE
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 1,081
Cooling ducts are very helpful, right, but you should also make sure you have a nice, long cool-down lap before getting off track. If you don't, you'll end up cooking your fluid and brakes at the paddock If you HAVE TO leave the track before your brakes and engine are cool, just drive around paddock until they're cool. Even 25 MPH does wonders when you spend a few minutes driving.
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #23
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28
 
Dropspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Suburbs of Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozer View Post
Cooling ducts are very helpful, right, but you should also make sure you have a nice, long cool-down lap before getting off track. If you don't, you'll end up cooking your fluid and brakes at the paddock If you HAVE TO leave the track before your brakes and engine are cool, just drive around paddock until they're cool. Even 25 MPH does wonders when you spend a few minutes driving.
100%. Agree and while we are at it DO NOT set your parking brake after coming off the track.
__________________
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #24
X25

 
X25's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 AGM 1SS 1LE
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
100%. Agree and while we are at it DO NOT set your parking brake after coming off the track.
Oh yes, forgot about mentioning the parking brake. You can just put your car on a gear and shut it down instead of using the parking brake.
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #25
Abdi
 
Abdi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
If you are seriously going to track, then I suggest frequent bleeding as well. Most of you will never put brake ducts on, and I can tell you that after a day of HDPE that hub area will be smoking. I ran into this last year and the plastic center caps on my TSW literally softened and became loose. I run HP+ and Motul. I didn't have problems until the second half of the second day. Lesson learned and I'm running brake ducts this year.
I agree. I bleed the brakes the night before every event. I have dedicated wheels and tires for the track without center caps. Traditionally I've used Motul RBF 600.
Abdi is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.