Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #18
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28
 
Dropspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Suburbs of Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
If you are seriously going to track, then I suggest frequent bleeding as well. Most of you will never put brake ducts on, and I can tell you that after a day of HDPE that hub area will be smoking. I ran into this last year and the plastic center caps on my TSW literally softened and became loose. I run HP+ and Motul. I didn't have problems until the second half of the second day. Lesson learned and I'm running brake ducts this year.

I see it all the time. When I meet with the beginners before a track day one of the items discussed is removing center caps to prevent damage and allowing the heat to escape.
__________________
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:26 AM   #19
Bad@ssCamaro
Rogers' Rocks :-)
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 5,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
If you are seriously going to track, then I suggest frequent bleeding as well. Most of you will never put brake ducts on, and I can tell you that after a day of HDPE that hub area will be smoking. I ran into this last year and the plastic center caps on my TSW literally softened and became loose. I run HP+ and Motul. I didn't have problems until the second half of the second day. Lesson learned and I'm running brake ducts this year.
Do you only need to run brake ducts to the front since they are bearing most of the work?
__________________
2015 CRT 1SS/1LE RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:50 AM   #20
coreyaustin17
NEC5 C-HOLE CHAMP
 
coreyaustin17's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 camaro 2SS/RS 1LE 1 of 221
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: MYSTIC CT
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Do you only need to run brake ducts to the front since they are bearing most of the work?
imo i would say that is a good assumption not to mention the front brakes are dealing with a ton of residual heat from the engine bay
__________________
coreyaustin17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #21
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28
 
Dropspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Suburbs of Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Do you only need to run brake ducts to the front since they are bearing most of the work?
Simply yes, front ducts are what you would want.

Rear ducts will help as well, but for the majority here they are not necessary and are harder to fabricate.

Matt
__________________
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:47 AM   #22
X25


 
X25's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 AGM 1SS 1LE
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 2,667
Cooling ducts are very helpful, right, but you should also make sure you have a nice, long cool-down lap before getting off track. If you don't, you'll end up cooking your fluid and brakes at the paddock If you HAVE TO leave the track before your brakes and engine are cool, just drive around paddock until they're cool. Even 25 MPH does wonders when you spend a few minutes driving.
X25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #23
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28
 
Dropspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Suburbs of Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozer View Post
Cooling ducts are very helpful, right, but you should also make sure you have a nice, long cool-down lap before getting off track. If you don't, you'll end up cooking your fluid and brakes at the paddock If you HAVE TO leave the track before your brakes and engine are cool, just drive around paddock until they're cool. Even 25 MPH does wonders when you spend a few minutes driving.
100%. Agree and while we are at it DO NOT set your parking brake after coming off the track.
__________________
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #24
X25


 
X25's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 AGM 1SS 1LE
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
100%. Agree and while we are at it DO NOT set your parking brake after coming off the track.
Oh yes, forgot about mentioning the parking brake. You can just put your car on a gear and shut it down instead of using the parking brake.
X25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #25
Abdi
 
Abdi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
If you are seriously going to track, then I suggest frequent bleeding as well. Most of you will never put brake ducts on, and I can tell you that after a day of HDPE that hub area will be smoking. I ran into this last year and the plastic center caps on my TSW literally softened and became loose. I run HP+ and Motul. I didn't have problems until the second half of the second day. Lesson learned and I'm running brake ducts this year.
I agree. I bleed the brakes the night before every event. I have dedicated wheels and tires for the track without center caps. Traditionally I've used Motul RBF 600.
Abdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #26
Abdi
 
Abdi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Mass
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
100%. Agree and while we are at it DO NOT set your parking brake after coming off the track.

Very true!
Abdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:41 AM   #27
CrystalRedTintcoat


 
CrystalRedTintcoat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bay Area, online, & in my 1LE
Posts: 2,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozer View Post
Cooling ducts are very helpful, right, but you should also make sure you have a nice, long cool-down lap before getting off track. If you don't, you'll end up cooking your fluid and brakes at the paddock If you HAVE TO leave the track before your brakes and engine are cool, just drive around paddock until they're cool. Even 25 MPH does wonders when you spend a few minutes driving.
This is exactly what my track coach had me do. When we saw the checkered flag we'd try to make it back to the paddock without using the brakes and cut speed. Then we'd take a lap around the paddock to let things cool before parking it. And most import point we never set the emergency brake after being on the track.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.