Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #301
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho928 View Post
I agree with all your points, did you allow for the the dry sump in your price prediction on the C7 Z51?

I believe this to be a significant cost / price adder, thus I allowed an extra $ 2,000 (once GM marks up actual cost by 50 to 100%) to come up with my $ 60,000 guess.
Yes I did allow for the dry sump. There are some cost advantages for the Z/28 compared to the Z/51 though. It doesn't have the 9 speaker Bose sound system the Z/51 has, nor does it come with A/C so those are cost reductions.

After seeing the Stingray pricing, unless there's something dramatically unexpected included with the car we don't know about yet, I think we're pretty darned close at around $60k for the Z/28.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #302
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,145
^Yes that Corvette chassis has gotta be BIG $$$$$. I'm feelin' better!
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #303
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post

After seeing the Stingray pricing, unless there's something dramatically unexpected included with the car we don't know about yet, I think we're pretty darned close at around $60k for the Z/28.


The only thing that has me worried is the CC brakes.....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #304
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post


The only thing that has me worried is the CC brakes.....
Yes I'd prefer to see them as an option.
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:28 PM   #305
tones2SS


 
tones2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 Roush S3 05 Dodge Ram Daytona
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post


The only thing that has me worried is the CC brakes.....
I agree. For someone daily driving this car, they are going to be shelling out BIG money for new rotors and pads on that car. This seems more a track oriented car than a daily driver car. Also, no air conditioning.
Love that GM finally got the LS7 in the Camaro though. AWESOME!
__________________
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:39 PM   #306
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
I agree. For someone daily driving this car, they are going to be shelling out BIG money for new rotors and pads on that car. This seems more a track oriented car than a daily driver car. Also, no air conditioning.
Love that GM finally got the LS7 in the Camaro though. AWESOME!
Have heard the CC brakes will last longer than typical brakes. Don't forget that AC is an option.
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #307
tones2SS


 
tones2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 Roush S3 05 Dodge Ram Daytona
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Have heard the CC brakes will last longer than typical brakes. Don't forget that AC is an option.
Yes, they may last longer, but eventually you will need new rotors and pads. HUGE money. Like thousands.
I forgot about AC being an option. Thanks.
__________________
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #308
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOBY J View Post
Bro
I think it's your imagination about them following you around. I mean lets be real they don't know a V6 camaro from a ZL1 nor do they care. Just like a v6 panamera may be common for 80k but the turbo and turbo s are pushing 200k. Never seen one in LA with bling out grilles or emblems EVER. Perhaps you're thinking Bentley GT
Lol
Not my imagination, and I am being real. They have a tendacy to go out of their way, gawk, and follow as described for a closer look. Maybe not as much anymore, but I have one with an early build number and one of the first in the State with one last year so I caught alot of attention. And they were the high end European's like I mentioned. As far as bling goes, I used that in the context of expensive Euro ride manufacturers- bling grille/hood emblems...get it?
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #309
SEVEN-OH JOE
when 6.2 just won't do
 
Drives: some to distraction
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Location: Location:
Posts: 392
My personal experience with Panamera owners (2 that I personally know) is they are diehard "car guys" but REALLY diehard Porsche guys, first and foremost! And BOTH consider them as suitable replacements for their former Cayennes. BOTH are Turbos, too.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #310
orthojoe
 
Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: California
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOBY J View Post
Funny
I know 7 guys who own 911's that also own Panameras (they've had them out a out local cars&coffee events)
Their thoughts are the exact opposite of yours and they stated that they get more looks conversations with the panamera than they do with the 997 or 996 cars they own.
Too each his own I guess.
cars and coffee is the keyword there. C&C people are a different breed than a track rat. Zfatuated is a track rat. Panny is an abomination made to fleece the Porsche wanna-bes of the world who have no clue what a real sports car is about. They just want the badge. Much like the many of the z/28 wanna be's around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
I agree. For someone daily driving this car, they are going to be shelling out BIG money for new rotors and pads on that car.
Not true. If you only daily drive on carbon ceramics, they will never wear out. Ever. Street use won't wear down carbon ceramics. If you track it properly, they WILL wear out. Just not as quickly.

Last edited by orthojoe; 04-27-2013 at 08:13 PM.
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:10 PM   #311
TOBY J
 
Drives: BLOWN CAMARO SS PORSCHE PANNY TURBO
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 262
^^^^^^^^^^^
Spoken like a guy who's only driven cars on the video game he's playing and has no real seat time or understanding of either car.
Lol

Last edited by TOBY J; 04-27-2013 at 10:22 PM.
TOBY J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #312
Bad@ssCamaro
Ist State Chevy Supporter
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 5,013
Wow, has this thread gotten way off course!!! How about you guys reeling in those massive monsters you're sporting and bring the discussion back on track.
__________________
Former Camaros: (gone but not forgotten)
1976 LT Black/Black 305 V8 (Bone Stock)
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Current Camaro:
CRT 1SS/1LE/RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #313
orthojoe
 
Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: California
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOBY J View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
Spoken like a guy who's only driven cars on the video game he's playing and has no real seat time or understanding of either car.
Lol
Really? What makes you think that? Feeling a bit uncomfortable about my assertions?
More like:
Spoken like a guy that actually knows what he's talking about and actually takes his car to the track on frequent basis and isn't half bad at it:







Care to retract your statement? Care to share your own track experience other than on a video game machine? My Porsche had carbon ceramics on it. I removed them because they were wearing away after only 5 track days. Personal experience. How about you, pal? I understand plenty and do all the work on my cars myself. Be careful on assumptions and who you pick fights with, buddy. Watch towards the end of the first video if you want to see me pass some Chevy power. Enjoy sipping your coffee with all the other posers. See you at the track.....Chum...mmmmP

Last edited by orthojoe; 04-27-2013 at 11:37 PM.
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:46 AM   #314
Bad@ssCamaro
Ist State Chevy Supporter
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 5,013
This isn't going to end well
__________________
Former Camaros: (gone but not forgotten)
1976 LT Black/Black 305 V8 (Bone Stock)
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Current Camaro:
CRT 1SS/1LE/RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:07 AM   #315
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
This isn't going to end well
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:40 AM   #316
TOBY J
 
Drives: BLOWN CAMARO SS PORSCHE PANNY TURBO
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 262
lol- see you've edited your post since calling people POSERS
who's talking about taking cars to the track??? 90% of people who own hi line cars do not track them.

i'll just take the higher road sir and leave it at this.
you say most Z28 guys are posers (before editing)- nice assumption and then you make me chuckle even further with the 911 and panamera comparison (before editing). no one is dropping 150- 180k on panamera thinking it's a true sports car.
they are buying an extremely fast 4 door sedan that handles much like a sports car.

END OF STORY
thanks for playing.
have a nice week
TOBY J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #317
orthojoe
 
Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: California
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOBY J View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^
Spoken like a guy who's only driven cars on the video game he's playing and has no real seat time or understanding of either car.
Lol
You tried to call me out as a guy that has no track experience or any experience with cars. I made you eat crow. Simple as that. Again, would you care to retract your statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOBY J View Post
lol- see you've edited your post since calling people POSERS
who's talking about taking cars to the track??? 90% of people who own hi line cars do not track them.
My edit was to ADD the poser statement, not delete. Go back and re-read. It's still there. Nothing deleted only ADDED. The majority of sports car owners ARE posers. They just don't want to admit it. I don't have a problem with it unless they start talking shit to people that DO know what they are talking about. The Z/28 is meant to be driven at the track. Posers like you and your buddies will buy them to show off at cars and coffee. Nothing wrong with that if that is your thing, just don't pretend to know that you know what you're talking about.

Quote:
no one is dropping 150- 180k on panamera thinking it's a true sports car.
they are buying an extremely fast 4 door sedan that handles much like a sports car.
Sure they are. They buy, think they can drive fast, and babble about nonsense at cars and coffee.

Last edited by orthojoe; 04-28-2013 at 09:23 AM. Reason: ADDED stuff and corrected spelling
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #318
tones2SS


 
tones2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 Roush S3 05 Dodge Ram Daytona
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 2,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
Not true. If you only daily drive on carbon ceramics, they will never wear out. Ever. Street use won't wear down carbon ceramics. If you track it properly, they WILL wear out. Just not as quickly.
I'm not so sure about "never". They definitely will wear more/quicker during tracking, which is pretty obvious.
Here is a statement I found online, and they are taking about a Ferrari here, but you get the point; “This feature means that the wear resistance of Carbon Ceramic Material guarantees an approximate disc life of 150,000 km (93,000 miles) for road use and 2,000 km (2,400 miles) for extreme track use (e.g. Ferrari Challenge),” Michelini said.
Not that you should believe every and anything you read online, but just a quick search brought me that.
Here is the web page if interested,
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ic-brakes.html
__________________
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #319
Bomino
 
Bomino's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nurburgring
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
Really? What makes you think that? Feeling a bit uncomfortable about my assertions?
More like:
Spoken like a guy that actually knows what he's talking about and actually takes his car to the track on frequent basis and isn't half bad at it:







Care to retract your statement? Care to share your own track experience other than on a video game machine? My Porsche had carbon ceramics on it. I removed them because they were wearing away after only 5 track days. Personal experience. How about you, pal? I understand plenty and do all the work on my cars myself. Be careful on assumptions and who you pick fights with, buddy. Watch towards the end of the first video if you want to see me pass some Chevy power. Enjoy sipping your coffee with all the other posers. See you at the track.....Chum...mmmmP
__________________
Bomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #320
TOBY J
 
Drives: BLOWN CAMARO SS PORSCHE PANNY TURBO
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 262
again:
you drive a car around a track and that makes you an EXPERT about people being posers or their every day driving choices for cars they choose or drive? too funny considering 90% will never see a track
poser to me = a guy with a boxster pretending it's a 911.

So driving a Z28 and not tracking = poser owning a 4 door porsche = poser ???

i'm confused by your car assumptions, they seem be like the following scenario.
example: a GTR IS A GREAT TRACK CAR but makes a POOR every day driver
for most. However using the logic you seem to be projecting that would be a great everyday driver because it goes around a track well

I'm sorry to be in a discussion with a guy who's an "expert" such as yourself.

Last edited by TOBY J; 04-28-2013 at 12:49 PM.
TOBY J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #321
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
Really? What makes you think that? Feeling a bit uncomfortable about my assertions?
More like:
Spoken like a guy that actually knows what he's talking about and actually takes his car to the track on frequent basis and isn't half bad at it:







Care to retract your statement? Care to share your own track experience other than on a video game machine? My Porsche had carbon ceramics on it. I removed them because they were wearing away after only 5 track days. Personal experience. How about you, pal? I understand plenty and do all the work on my cars myself. Be careful on assumptions and who you pick fights with, buddy. Watch towards the end of the first video if you want to see me pass some Chevy power. Enjoy sipping your coffee with all the other posers. See you at the track.....Chum...mmmmP
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #322
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOBY J View Post
lol
again
you drive a car around a track and that makes you an EXPERT about people being posers or their every day driving choices for cars they choose or drive? too funny
poser to me = a guy with a boxster pretending it's a 911.

So driving a Z28 and not tracking = poser owning a 4 door porsche = poser ???

i'm confused by your car assumptions, they seem be like the following scenario.
example: a GTR IS A GREAT TRACK CAR but makes a POOR every day driver
for most. However using the logic you seem to be projecting that would be a great everyday driver because it goes around a track well



You've turned left when everyone else in the thread went right.
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #323
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOBY J View Post
again:
you drive a car around a track and that makes you an EXPERT about people being posers or their every day driving choices for cars they choose or drive? too funny considering 90% will never see a track
poser to me = a guy with a boxster pretending it's a 911.

So driving a Z28 and not tracking = poser owning a 4 door porsche = poser ???

i'm confused by your car assumptions, they seem be like the following scenario.
example: a GTR IS A GREAT TRACK CAR but makes a POOR every day driver
for most. However using the logic you seem to be projecting that would be a great everyday driver because it goes around a track well

I'm sorry to be in a discussion with a guy who's an "expert" such as yourself.
Toby you're not winning here. You called him out badly by accusing him of just playing video games and being clueless. He handed your head back to you on a platter. All this "I'm confused" posturing isn't saving face for you, it's just making you look like a troll.

Your accusation was wrong, just admit it and move on.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #324
TOBY J
 
Drives: BLOWN CAMARO SS PORSCHE PANNY TURBO
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Toby you're not winning here. You called him out badly by accusing him of just playing video games and being clueless. He handed your head back to you on a platter. All this "I'm confused" posturing isn't saving face for you, it's just making you look like a troll.

Your accusation was wrong, just admit it and move on.
sorry you feel that way. it's not the way i see it.
he is speaking only about TRACKING cars and not real world driving.
was my GTR analogy not clear enough?
the point of calling people "posers" who don't track their cars is complete lunacy.
i get it, he drives on a track but that doesn't mean he's "god" when speaking about everyday comforts-speed-driving experience while not being on a track.
sorry if you disagree but i don't see it any other way.
thx
i'm just speaking my mind and he handed me what?posting track videos (deleting other stuff in his original post... about wannabes and other garbage)
does that make him an expert on what makes a great car for people who don't wanna track?
sorry sounds a bit like "sour grapes"
NO SEAT TIME IN EITHER CAR but speaking like he knows from experience
and convenient HE edited the post that said "about Z28/CAMARO owners being "clueless".
I'm done debating what was "erased" and l' m sure it'll make you feel better so get the last word in on this.
Again i'll be the bigger person here and say have a nice weekend and good luck on the track runs.

Last edited by TOBY J; 04-28-2013 at 04:12 PM.
TOBY J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #325
THEKING
 
Drives: 2011 CAMARO SS AUDI S5
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: LA
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOBY J View Post
sorry you feel that way. it's not the way i see it.
he is speaking only about TRACKING cars and not real world driving.
was my GTR analogy not clear enough?
the point of calling people "posers" who don't track their cars is complete lunacy.
i get it, he drives on a track but that doesn't mean he's "god" when speaking about everyday comforts-speed-driving experience while not being on a track.
sorry if you disagree but i don't see it any other way.
thx
i'm just speaking my mind and he handed me what?posting track videos (deleting other stuff in his original post... about wannabes and other garbage)
does that make him an expert on what makes a great car for people who don't wanna track?
sorry sounds a bit like "sour grapes"
This the best post you've had in this thread. I would just leave it at that and move on with the points you've made. Please let's now get back to the original thread title.
THEKING is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.