Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Zedave
 
Zedave's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Z06, 2009 SRT Challenger
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ontario and Florida
Posts: 20
Production Numbers

How many of these bad boys are they going to build?
I want to make sure I get one
__________________
Currently in Stable, 1981 Z28, 2003 Corvette 50th Anniv. Edition, 2007 Ron Fellows Z06 #330, 2009 SRT Challenger
Zedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Z06, GS or ZL1?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,853
they said there is no set limit.
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 5,042
All I have heard is they will build as many as they sell.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
carman II
 
Drives: 87 IROC Z, 91 Z28, 2013 1LE
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 30
Isn't the number of LS7's left from the previous Wixom build the constraining factor?
carman II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,851
...the bottleneck will be the LS7's, if they are pre-producing them, already available, or being produced based on an artificial estimation of initial demand for the first half year. I say 500 units for 2014 <2012 ZL1 unit's were 1972>...just a guestimate based on an envelope I found inside a mayonaise jar on Funk and Wagnel's back porch....., they did make the same statement attempting to meet the demand as they did with the introduction of the ZL1.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
Zfatuated

 
Zfatuated's Avatar
 
Drives: BAC Mono
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reno
Posts: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedave View Post
How many of these bad boys are they going to build?
I want to make sure I get one
Your wallet/connections/willingness to act now with a deposit will ensure that, not knowing the production number.
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 11,766
I recall one of the GM execs in one of those "interview" threads from the auto-show stating..."Production will be limited...but we will build as many as customers want..."

To me, that means perhaps production capacity is not as large as other models, only so many can be made in a week, month, whatever...don't expect a glut of them to be available...as orders come in, deposits made, or whatever will determine how many and how fast they can build them....just my guess....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
shaffe


 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 2,345
I would assume only a few thousand for each model year they build it until the gen 6
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
Wizard1183

 
Wizard1183's Avatar
 
Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lafayette,LA
Posts: 1,491
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I would assume only a few thousand for each model year they build it until the gen 6
They'll have a 6th gen Z/28, bank on it! They've NEVER skipped a generation from the model. Just dont look for it to be ANYTHING like this one cause it wont hold a candle to it.
__________________


Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #10
mkorgan
 
Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sanford, Fl
Posts: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Your wallet/connections/willingness to act now with a deposit will ensure that, not knowing the production number.
I have called three dealers. None of them are willing to take a deposit. They are all making a list of people to call once they know if they are getting an allocation. I am #2 on 2 lists and #3 on a third. They seems to know less than we do about anything related to the Z/28.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #11
Wizard1183

 
Wizard1183's Avatar
 
Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lafayette,LA
Posts: 1,491
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
I have called three dealers. None of them are willing to take a deposit. They are all making a list of people to call once they know if they are getting an allocation. I am #2 on 2 lists and #3 on a third. They seems to know less than we do about anything related to the Z/28.
I wouldnt worry about IF you can get one? You want one? Willing to pay what they want? You'll have one. No worries.
__________________


Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
littlecammi
 
littlecammi's Avatar
 
Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I recall one of the GM execs in one of those "interview" threads from the auto-show stating "production will be limited, but we will build as many as customers want."
That's because they don't expect people to want very many after people see the very high MSRP they finally reveal for the 2014 Z/28. GM is expecting to match low production to low demand.

The closest comparison to a 2014 Camaro Z/28 would be a 2000 Mustang Cobra R. They only built 300 of the 2000 Cobra Rs. It came with no air and no radio and no back seat and R-compound racing tires and adjustable racing shocks, etcetera. It had a 385HP 5.4 liter DOHC V8 when the 2001 Mustang Cobra had only a 320HP 4.6 liter DOHC V8. MSRP for the Cobra R was $55K versus $30K for the 2001 Cobra (I'm using the 2001 for comparison because there were no regular Mustang Cobras built in 2000 or in 2002). And don't even bother comparing the Cobra R to the lesser 2000 Mustang GT.

How many of the 2014 Z/28 GM builds will determine the price. If only a few hundred, they could be very expensive, proportionally like the 2000 Mustang Cobra R. Even if they build a thousand or more they will still be very pricey.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #13
Col. Brain
 
Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Otherside of the screen
Posts: 359
production is limited because this is pretty much an all out race car with a VIN that you can drive on the street.

Most people will not want it and to those people the ZL1 will be cheaper/nicer of an all around car they are looking for.

The Z/28 is either destined for a carcover and garage or the race track.


So I believe the production will be limited but something tells me a few thousand of these cars will be made. They sold plenty of 70k+ Corvettes why not sell that many Camaros?
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #14
shaffe


 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
They'll have a 6th gen Z/28, bank on it! They've NEVER skipped a generation from the model. Just dont look for it to be ANYTHING like this one cause it wont hold a candle to it.
thats what I meant, didn't word it right. THIS Z/28 will only be built in a couple thousand units IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Brain View Post
production is limited because this is pretty much an all out race car with a VIN that you can drive on the street.

Most people will not want it and to those people the ZL1 will be cheaper/nicer of an all around car they are looking for.

The Z/28 is either destined for a carcover and garage or the race track.


So I believe the production will be limited but something tells me a few thousand of these cars will be made. They sold plenty of 70k+ Corvettes why not sell that many Camaros?
I agree that they may sell a few thousand, but ill also say personally I think more people (outside buyers here looking for a toy/weekend warrior) would rather drop 70K on a Corvette than a Camaro.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.