Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #15
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
You guys just need a little more patience with us uneducated/easily confused types....lol....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #16
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 11,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Think gearing.

Hint: what's the Vette's top speed?
For sure, gearing....no idea about the Vette, though...lol...

And....We don't even know if the mags info is true or bogus????
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #17
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post

And....We don't even know if the mags info is true or bogus????
True.... But given the nature of the Z/28 I can see it not having a real high top speed.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #18
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Z06, GS or ZL1?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,787
Yes it's not needed
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #19
mkorgan
 
Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sanford, Fl
Posts: 607
I totally get the gearing taking mph off the top but if these #'s are accurate I don't quite understand the 0-60 time @ 4.2. It just seems to me that if I throw a 3:91 gear in the car, take 300 pounds off her, and have the hp/torque #'s we have been told that it should be sub 4. I know you don't time a road course car from a dead stop so I get it is irrelevant for the purpose of the car but I just find that a bit odd. I am not slamming the car, especially since this is all speculation it just seems to not add up to me.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:08 AM   #20
Zfatuated

 
Zfatuated's Avatar
 
Drives: BAC Mono
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reno
Posts: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
I totally get the gearing taking mph off the top but if these #'s are accurate I don't quite understand the 0-60 time @ 4.2. It just seems to me that if I throw a 3:91 gear in the car, take 300 pounds off her, and have the hp/torque #'s we have been told that it should be sub 4. I know you don't time a road course car from a dead stop so I get it is irrelevant for the purpose of the car but I just find that a bit odd. I am not slamming the car, especially since this is all speculation it just seems to not add up to me.
500hp and 317 lb-ft crank hp/tq will break traction of 325/30-19" Trofeos while rolling in 1st gear at 10-15mph on a 911. Therefore it makes perfect sense to me that a car with smaller tires, front weight bias, and ~183 more lb-ft tq simply can't put down the power through 305's for a shocking 0-60 time.

And...if it has the close ratio gearbox, it likely needs a shift before 60 mph which will make the 0-60 time longer.

We have no idea if this speculated information is correct, and if it is, I just don't care. It doesn't matter for those of us who will use the car for its intended purpose.
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:13 AM   #21
Zfatuated

 
Zfatuated's Avatar
 
Drives: BAC Mono
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reno
Posts: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
You guys just need a little more patience with us uneducated/easily confused types....lol....
Why don't you invest in a driving school? The Spring Mountain Ron Fellows/Corvette school would be great?

Here you go: http://www.springmountainmotorsports...riving-schools

The skills learned will last a lifetime and you don't have to feel left out of the conversation on here.
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #22
shaffe

 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 2,190
Hopefully this will help put to rest the guesses that the Z/28 will cost less than the ZL1 that I see in almost every other thread.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #23
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,851
According to GM/Media specifications, the gearbox ratios for the 2014 Z-28 and the 2013 1LE are identical, apparently they are going to use the same TR6060. Also, the first four gear ratios are identical for the ZL1, Z-28, and 1LE, the only difference is gears 5 and 6, with the Z-28/1LE having .74 for 5th, and .50 for 6th, with the ZL1 having .80 for 5th, and .63 for 6th.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #24
Zfatuated

 
Zfatuated's Avatar
 
Drives: BAC Mono
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reno
Posts: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
According to GM/Media specifications, the gearbox ratios for the 2014 Z-28 and the 2013 1LE are identical, apparently they are going to use the same TR6060. Also, the first four gear ratios are identical for the ZL1, Z-28, and 1LE, the only difference is gears 5 and 6, with the Z-28/1LE having .74 for 5th, and .50 for 6th, with the ZL1 having .80 for 5th, and .63 for 6th.

Is the final drive gearing known for the Z/28? Sorry if I missed that.
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #25
carman II
 
Drives: 87 IROC Z, 91 Z28, 2013 1LE
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Is the final drive gearing known for the Z/28? Sorry if I missed that.
3.91, same as 1LE
carman II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #26
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 11,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Why don't you invest in a driving school? The Spring Mountain Ron Fellows/Corvette school would be great?

Here you go: http://www.springmountainmotorsports...riving-schools

The skills learned will last a lifetime and you don't have to feel left out of the conversation on here.
Actually, now that you mention it, Porsche is building a new facility in the City of Carson here in SoCal...Not sure what all the details are, so far it's like a driving skills facility for new Porsche owners and what-not...Not sure if it will have any offerings for the general public yet....It's under construction now...May look there in the not too distant future...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #27
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,851
^, yes thats correct....3.91 rear axle gear ratio, and with 19'' square tire set-up over the 3.73 rear axle gear ratio<standard trans> and 20" tires on the ZL1, with lower fifth and sixth gear's, it's going to be much more of a gear jammer and selective in keeping in the power band for the layout at hand. It's going to be a shifting, high winding wheel mans car for sure...
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #28
Jayrcr3

 
Jayrcr3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chatham, Illinois
Posts: 756
FWIW I was playing with my EFI live and recorded a 0-60 time of 4.2 with my cam headers and intake on my 11SS, and I'm far from skilled when it comes to launching. I would think the lighter Z28 would have no problem matching it with bigger tires and lighter weight.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
__________________
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.