Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Classic Design Concepts Sportbar
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
NoleLife
 
NoleLife's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tallahassee, Fl
Posts: 138
A good morning gone bad

Well, some of you that frequently check the forum might have seen that I had a couple threads up with videos of my engine running inquiring about a sound it was making. The consensus at the end was that it was not a lifter, that it was either normal or possibly due to too much oil put in it at my last change.

When I had sent the picture to my dealer, they believe it is likely an exhaust leak and that they don't think it is a lifter as it would be much louder if it was. Well, it was really loud yesterday when I cold cranked it at lunch so I decided this morning to head up to Georgia to take it to the dealer I got it from.

In person they said they thought it was an exhaust leak but would get it on the lift and check. I went to go get McDonalds around the corner (the dealer asked me if I wanted the keys to something to drive over to it. I debated asking to borrow the Red Z06 out front but decided it was walking distance ). I got back and am told that they are pretty sure it's a lifter on the drive side bank. They said they would get into the engine to be sure and if it is, they would replace it. I believe he said it may just not be tightened down as it should. It was also mentioned they may be told to replace all of the lifters. I'm not able to pick the car up tomorrow due to work so I wont have her back until Saturday. I'm stuck driving an 09 Impala until then :(
NoleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
gmen09
 
gmen09's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Flemington NJ
Posts: 573
Bad news, good luck, and i hope every thing gets done properly.
__________________
gmen09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Rohdeo16
USMC - SNSSTR
 
Rohdeo16's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Memphis
Posts: 608
Hey the good news is that they are fixing everything. I know it is a hassle to deal with driving the loaner and not have your car but it's definitely worth it.

Good luck man!

Should have asked for that Z06!!
Rohdeo16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
NoleLife
 
NoleLife's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tallahassee, Fl
Posts: 138
I'm definitely thankful for Warranty coverage and being able to have a loaner for sure but I still had to take sick-leave (granted, I have a metric ton of it) to drive the 45min there, wait, and come back. I had to pay for the gas to get there in my car (and coming back when I pick it up) as well as the gas from/to in the loaner.

That's small potatoes though. My BIG concern is, if a lifter is having issues on a car with 5,800 miles on it then who knows what will go wrong on it in the future :(
NoleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
Iwantone2
Pinche Team Leader
 
Iwantone2's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: OC Cali
Posts: 9,663
If it is indeed a lifter, you'll be without your car for about 5-7 days. Ask me how I know...
__________________
Iwantone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
2012-1822


 
2012-1822's Avatar
 
Drives: Black ZL1
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: City of Champions, Alabama
Posts: 3,478
Definitely get the Z06, I mean come on, I have to take mine in shortly and if they have to keep it, that's only fair right, I mean I still have to go to the drag strips on Thursdays
__________________
Check out Alabama Camaros, for Camaro enthusiasts all around Alabama https://www.facebook.com/groups/1739...group_activity
2012-1822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
MCSarge
USMC 1980-1990
 
MCSarge's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 109
This is the same thing I am going thru but unfortunately they haven't yet found which was bad, so I have to take it back in when it starts to make noise again.
__________________
USMC 1980-1990
My other toys are Harleys
MCSarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
NoleLife
 
NoleLife's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tallahassee, Fl
Posts: 138
The mechanic said they looked at it and there doesn't seem to be any damage at all. And that he thinks that it just wasn't pushing all the way up like it should. So I'm not entirely sure what they are replacing, or doing to fix it.... but he said they are waiting on the gasket to get in tomorrow morning and it will be around lunch when I can pick it up. I guess Ill figure out then if its fixed or not.
NoleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleLife View Post
Well, some of you that frequently check the forum might have seen that I had a couple threads up with videos of my engine running inquiring about a sound it was making. The consensus at the end was that it was not a lifter, that it was either normal or possibly due to too much oil put in it at my last change.

When I had sent the picture to my dealer, they believe it is likely an exhaust leak and that they don't think it is a lifter as it would be much louder if it was. Well, it was really loud yesterday when I cold cranked it at lunch so I decided this morning to head up to Georgia to take it to the dealer I got it from.

In person they said they thought it was an exhaust leak but would get it on the lift and check. I went to go get McDonalds around the corner (the dealer asked me if I wanted the keys to something to drive over to it. I debated asking to borrow the Red Z06 out front but decided it was walking distance ). I got back and am told that they are pretty sure it's a lifter on the drive side bank. They said they would get into the engine to be sure and if it is, they would replace it. I believe he said it may just not be tightened down as it should. It was also mentioned they may be told to replace all of the lifters. I'm not able to pick the car up tomorrow due to work so I wont have her back until Saturday. I'm stuck driving an 09 Impala until then :(

Hello NoleLife,

Sorry you're having this issue with your Camaro and will be without it for a couple of days. I see your vehicle is at the dealer already which is great. I can contact your dealer tomorrow for you to check the status and see if it will be ready for you Monday if you like? Let me know, here to help.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Last edited by Chevrolet Customer Svc; 05-02-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #10
WHAMMO
 
WHAMMO's Avatar
 
Drives: LS2 Fbody
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 661
Tightening the lifters?? lol Maybe tightening the rockers or check the rocker's pedestal(which is held by the rocker)...

Good luck!
__________________
4th Gen SS/LS2 SB/LS3 heads/N20
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #11
NoleLife
 
NoleLife's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tallahassee, Fl
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAMMO View Post
Tightening the lifters?? lol Maybe tightening the rockers or check the rocker's pedestal(which is held by the rocker)...

Good luck!

As I typed it I thought "that doesn't sound right" but I had a hard time hearing the guy. I know in a sentence the word lifter, and tighten, were used. But you are probably right haha.
NoleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
NoleLife
 
NoleLife's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tallahassee, Fl
Posts: 138
I appreciate it! But I got her back and the sound seems to be gone! The engine actually hums nicely now and all "suspect" noise is gone. They got it apart yesterday, and had lifters in stock, but were waiting on a gasket to get there this morning to put it back together. It was lifter #5 that was an issue. I have the paperwork in my car and can post more details later on if anyone is curious.

As a side note -- not sure if this is something you can pass along to anyone useful at Chevrolet Corp. but Spence Chevrolet in Thomasville Georgia is an outstanding dealership. Couldn't be happier with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post

Hello NoleLife,

Sorry you're having this issue with your Camaro and will be without it for a couple of days. I see your vehicle is at the dealer already which is great. I can contact your dealer tomorrow for you to check the status and see if it will be ready for you Monday if you like? Let me know, here to help.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
NoleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #13
NoleLife
 
NoleLife's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tallahassee, Fl
Posts: 138
The sound is back.... going back to the dealer on Monday. *Sigh*
NoleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan
 
Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 2,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
If it is indeed a lifter, you'll be without your car for about 5-7 days. Ask me how I know...
They have their schedules etc, I know

but to be honest I've removed a pushrod V8 from a car, and replaced all my main and rod bearings, and then had the car ready to take me to work again, over a weekend. And I wasn't busting my hump to do it.
__________________
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #15
NoleLife
 
NoleLife's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS M6
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tallahassee, Fl
Posts: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
They have their schedules etc, I know

but to be honest I've removed a pushrod V8 from a car, and replaced all my main and rod bearings, and then had the car ready to take me to work again, over a weekend. And I wasn't busting my hump to do it.
They had it taken apart, replaced, and back to me in a day. Unfortunately, the sound is back so it's not fixed.
NoleLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #16
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding
 
two_wheel_mayhem's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleLife View Post
They had it taken apart, replaced, and back to me in a day. Unfortunately, the sound is back so it's not fixed.
So it could be something restricting the oil flow to a lifter, or a rocker arm, or they aren't even looking in the right place. Hydraulic lifters are not happy unless they gets lots of oil flow I know that. They are the first thing to complain (make noise) when there's an oiling problem.

They might have trouble with this one, hope it's not on your dime.
__________________
Nice vehicles with mods.
two_wheel_mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #17
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan
 
Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 2,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleLife View Post
They had it taken apart, replaced, and back to me in a day. Unfortunately, the sound is back so it's not fixed.

I've blown header gaskets, and the small leak sounded a bit like a lifter until I got out the old hammer handle and checked (the old skool guys might grin at that). I know it's a PITA to go back but if it's a leak, and they ID'd a bad lifter essentially 'by accident' and fixed the lifter issue, you're ahead of the game in the long run, after they fix the leak- if it's a leak
__________________
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #18
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleLife View Post
I appreciate it! But I got her back and the sound seems to be gone! The engine actually hums nicely now and all "suspect" noise is gone. They got it apart yesterday, and had lifters in stock, but were waiting on a gasket to get there this morning to put it back together. It was lifter #5 that was an issue. I have the paperwork in my car and can post more details later on if anyone is curious.

As a side note -- not sure if this is something you can pass along to anyone useful at Chevrolet Corp. but Spence Chevrolet in Thomasville Georgia is an outstanding dealership. Couldn't be happier with them.
That's excellent new NoleLife!

It is great to hear that your issue was resolved and done fairly quickly. Also, thank you for your remarks in regards to the quality service at Spence Chevrolet as well. I'd be happy to pass that information along on your behave.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Last edited by Chevrolet Customer Svc; 05-19-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Chevrolet Customer Svc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #19
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!
 
cvp33's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 CTS-V coupe
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Oak Ridge, NC
Posts: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
That's excellent new NoleLife!

It is great to hear that you issue was resolved and done fairly quickly. Also, thank you for your remarks in regards to the quality service at Spence Chevrolet as well. I'd be happy to pass that information along on your behave.

Reggie B.
Chevrolet Customer Care
LOL, might want to re-read his post.
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.