Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JDP Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum All audio, video, bluetooth, nav, radar, and electronics discussions.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
blink
dave

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
Am I screwed? Halo soldering..

I got a set of halo led's in yesterday and one of the wires wasn't attached to the halo (it must have ripped off during shipping). When I went to solder it back on, there was nothing to solder it to so the wire couldn't grab and attach to the halo. Here is a picture of after i tried to solder it and with the other wire attached. The surrounding area is melted a little from trying to get it to solder.

Is there anything I can do besides get it replaced? My headlights are out and opened already I'd rather not go that route.

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 254
Size:  119.9 KB
Old 05-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
BigPopa71

Drives: Dark Knight
Looks like you will be buying a new one. The company you purchased from would have most likely replaced it but by you performing you own fix for the problem you have eliminated your ability to return it. Looks like some wasted money unless I'm missing something.
BigPopa71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
SoCalThug

Drives: 2012 Summit White 1Ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPopa71 View Post
Looks like you will be buying a new one. The company you purchased from would have most likely replaced it but by you performing you own fix for the problem you have eliminated your ability to return it. Looks like some wasted money.
This
Old 05-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
zkdreads

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS V6
just curious to why you didnt contat the vendor you bought it from. especially if you literally just got it...
zkdreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 LS Camaro
come on , we've all been there, you're ready to do a mod, maybe already started the process, and then you discover a mail order part is damaged so you attempt to fix it yourself,

I would do my best to fix it, it may help to dremel some of the plastic away to try & get a better shot on the contact and just seal it back up with some silicone when done

and I would still contact the seller & ask for a replacement if you cant get it fixed.
CyberPunk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
No they do not have to replace it under warranty. You tried to fix your self. Now they could say you damaged it. Now they might out of goodness of their heart replace it.

Caddy
Caddyroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
blink
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkdreads View Post
just curious to why you didnt contat the vendor you bought it from. especially if you literally just got it...
I contacted them, but by the time I got the halo's (after 4) they were closed. They're closed saturday, and sunday as well.

I was sitting there with my front bumper off and headlights opened up figuring it just needs solder.

I'll try using a dremel.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
CyberPunk223
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 LS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyroger View Post
No they do not have to replace it under warranty. You tried to fix your self. Now they could say you damaged it. Now they might out of goodness of their heart replace it.

yeah your right, they don't have to do anything, but no one is going to destroy something they bought just so they can wait a week to get another one of something they already had. So really they have argument to deny that it came damaged, besides this item should be of good durability as it is being installed on a car and shouldn't fall apart from handling.

there is so much cheap junk from china being sold now it's a real shame, everything from gun scopes that cant hold a zero to motorcycle LED's that burn out after a few weeks, this money-junkie thinking of lets just make the cheapest piece of junk we can just so we can make a buck is running wild, likewise consumers need to lose the "walmart" mentality and value quality over prices again and realize that cheap prices usually gets you cheap quality.
CyberPunk223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #9
kVan

Drives: 2011 1LS
Just shave the plastic down to smooth so it looks normalish and try to replace or claim it melted that wsy when powered, it doesnt matter what they hear really because regardless of what it is you tell them, you received a broken product out of the gate.
kVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
blink
dave

Just to update everybody. The company express shipped a replacement halo along with a prepaid return label.

And they are based out of Missouri not China haha.