Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

MPD1
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission Tune and diagnostics for engines and auto transmission.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
mc_acoustic

Drives: 2010 1LT Limited Edition Camaro A6
How to often to flash TCM?

So I have trifecta... I flashed TCM and noticed a change RIGHT away.

Now I am aware the car "Learns" your driving habits and tends to accommodate you for gas usage/performance.

So how often should I flash the TCM (BTW what does TCM stand for?) if I want performance rather then mileage? Is it every 500 km or 1000 km?

I have the 2010 1LT v6 if that matters.
mc_acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Once the tune is loaded it is there, and no need to reflash. TCM stands for Transmission Control Module I believe. Do you mean the ECM, which is the Engine Control Module?
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
The TCM is the transmission module as listed above. Over time, it learns and adapts shift pressures and shift timing. Tuning the 6l80 and 6l50 is much more complicated than the older 4l trannys. If the shift timing and pressures are set too high, it will learn backwards and soften up. Most all of the shift tables are referenced off tq reference so accurate engine tuning is a must to have a great shifting trans.

Specializing in LS performance and calibrations.
Remote tuning, In-house builds, and Parts. Custom Grind LS and VVT Camshaft packages.
Ryan@gogwatney.com Aaron@gogwatney.com www.Gwatneyperformance.com
Home of THE Fastest Stock Displacement Naturally Aspirated GEN 5! 10.45@133.55
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
mc_acoustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
The TCM is the transmission module as listed above. Over time, it learns and adapts shift pressures and shift timing. Tuning the 6l80 and 6l50 is much more complicated than the older 4l trannys. If the shift timing and pressures are set too high, it will learn backwards and soften up. Most all of the shift tables are referenced off tq reference so accurate engine tuning is a must to have a great shifting trans.

So deleting the TCM (Trifecta has a thing in there tune where you can delete it) is a good idea?

Like I said before, how often should I do it if I want to NOT be economy
Old 05-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
Rhino79

You shouldn't have to reflash the tcm over and over to keep it feeling good on shifts. Might touch base with Vince and let him know what you are looking for.

Remote tuning, In-house builds, and Parts. Custom Grind LS and VVT Camshaft packages.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #6
mc_acoustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
You shouldn't have to reflash the tcm over and over to keep it feeling good on shifts. Might touch base with Vince and let him know what you are looking for.
In the tutorial video on youtube that trifecta gives to help people its under "VEHICLE INFO" and then under "CLEAR TCM ADAPTIVES" and the man explains it about hoe the tranny learns your driving habits and that this deleted the memory the tranny has.... So I was wondering how long it takes for the tranny to start learning your habits again
Old 05-08-2013, 11:58 PM   #7
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_acoustic View Post
In the tutorial video on youtube that trifecta gives to help people its under "VEHICLE INFO" and then under "CLEAR TCM ADAPTIVES" and the man explains it about hoe the tranny learns your driving habits and that this deleted the memory the tranny has.... So I was wondering how long it takes for the tranny to start learning your habits again
I watched the same video, I don't think he posted how often but did say if you were going to do a track day of something of that nature, you would want to do it right before that.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #8
mc_acoustic

Hmmm okay yeah I was just hoping that maybe someone would know an official number.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:58 AM   #9
Rhino79

The trans will settle on over 100-200 miles after u clear adaptives. But it always learns.