Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
QuiksilverHg
 
QuiksilverHg's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS, RS Package, Imperial Blue
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 40
Oil Change

Sorry, noob question.

Is there any reason I should go to the dealer for the change instead of just getting a change done at the Jiffy Lube or Walmart or something? Last time I went to the dealer I felt like I got totally ripped off on the oil change, this will just be my second one since getting the car.

Thanks for the response.
QuiksilverHg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
S3XPanther
by Odeon
 
S3XPanther's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Good question
Posts: 1,707
Nope. You should attempt to do it yourself though.
__________________
"It works 60% of the time, every time."

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
S3XPanther
by Odeon
 
S3XPanther's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Good question
Posts: 1,707
And I would never go to Walmart for an oil change.
__________________
"It works 60% of the time, every time."

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:07 AM   #4
GhOsT_2SS
 
GhOsT_2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 53
I have heard nothing but horror stories about jiffy lube or walmart oil changes, wrong filter installed, striped drain plugs, not to mention the shit dino oil they are going to put in your car. Or they might forget the oil or drain plug all together. Most of them places wont use your oil or filter and if you've already bought your own oil and filter, oil alone Mobil1 5w30 8-9quarts is already what $70 filter $10-15 AC delco or NAPA wick filter(which is what I prefer). buy some $30 ramps and do it yourself. My dealer gives me free oil changes for as long as I own my car and bring it to them. But I still do a lot of my own work that's not warranty related.
GhOsT_2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:09 AM   #5
The Blue Ox

 
The Blue Ox's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 1,168
IMO, I wouldn't take my car ANYWHERE for an oil change! If at all possible, do it yourself! That way you know it's done right! I pass up free oil changes, rather do it myself!

I've had several horror stories, just by getting a simple oil change! From dealerships, and businesses!!!


I'd rather hit my head with a brick, than take it somewhere for a oil change!!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:38 AM   #6
376LS3
Eh, that'll happen
 
376LS3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 1,831
A friend of mine took his Mustang to a Jiffy Lube type place and they forgot to put oil in it. Got about half a mile down the road and the engine seized. Car only had 8000 miles on it. They wanted to put an engine in from a wrecked car with 45k miles on it. Do it yourself man. Its easy as cake.
__________________
2010 Camaro SS LS3 - Built LS3
376LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
Scott@Bjorn3D


 
Scott@Bjorn3D's Avatar
 
Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Eufaula, Alabama
Posts: 6,334
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
I let my dealer do my oil changes, I buy my own oil which is Pennzoil Platinum. 44.00 for 2 5 quart jugs from Walmart. 13.00 for a GM oil filter that is used on ZR1 and some of the heavy duty trucks. Much stronger and heavier than normal LS3 filter and 13.99 for them to do the change and check over the car.

Change oil every 6K miles.
__________________
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners, MPSS 285/35/20 on all 4 corners.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
Hannibal
 
Hannibal's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 527
Grab yourself 8 quarts of Mobil 1 and a NAPA Platinum oil filter. There are many DIY tutorials on here that walk you through the process. It's very easy to do and shouldn't take you more than 30 mins.

It's a good thing to do on your own because it gives you the chance to look under the car and inspect it.

Stay clear of the quick lube places. The people working there don't care about your car.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
Lgndryhr
Camaro Die-Hard
 
Lgndryhr's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 IOM
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 6,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
I let my dealer do my oil changes, I buy my own oil which is Pennzoil Platinum. 44.00 for 2 5 quart jugs from Walmart. 13.00 for a GM oil filter that is used on ZR1 and some of the heavy duty trucks. Much stronger and heavier than normal LS3 filter and 13.99 for them to do the change and check over the car.

Change oil every 6K miles.
Will that oil filter fit on a L99?
__________________
Car Nickname: Phoenix (click for build thread)
Best run: 13.282 @ 107.70 (100% Stock)

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
Live in or around Memphis? Check us out on here and Facebook
Lgndryhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
tys2010camaro
 
tys2010camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Grab yourself 8 quarts of Mobil 1 and a NAPA Platinum oil filter. There are many DIY tutorials on here that walk you through the process. It's very easy to do and shouldn't take you more than 30 mins.

It's a good thing to do on your own because it gives you the chance to look under the car and inspect it.

Stay clear of the quick lube places. The people working there don't care about your car.

I sell filters, The filters a lot of quick change oil places use are CHEAP! They sell their oil changes by price so they are using $2.40 filters. Very rarely a customer asks what filter the shop is using as they are concerned on price. The problem the industry is having right now is the growing amount of vehicles now using synthetic oil. The Cheap Filters are not designed to go as long as the life of synthetic oil. A cheap filter is designed to go 3000 miles tops.
As mentioned spend a few bucks more on a good filter! The NAPA Platinum IMO is the best out there. The Gold is good as well. I cut filters apart regularly to show shops and customers the difference. There is a huge difference.
tys2010camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
SPCBA


 
Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: a line somwhere
Posts: 4,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by tys2010camaro View Post
I sell filters, The filters a lot of quick change oil places use are CHEAP! They sell their oil changes by price so they are using $2.40 filters. Very rarely a customer asks what filter the shop is using as they are concerned on price. The problem the industry is having right now is the growing amount of vehicles now using synthetic oil. The Cheap Filters are not designed to go as long as the life of synthetic oil. A cheap filter is designed to go 3000 miles tops.
As mentioned spend a few bucks more on a good filter! The NAPA Platinum IMO is the best out there. The Gold is good as well. I cut filters apart regularly to show shops and customers the difference. There is a huge difference.
wix and purolater and amsoil are what i would use. i think one of those first 2 actually make the napa platinum...correct me if i am wrong. If im not it would make it a fantastic filter.

I like cutting my filters in half just to see how they held up.
__________________
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
Bo White



 
Bo White's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vance Alabama
Posts: 4,419
What ever oil or filter you buy do what I do. Prefill the new filter with oil so that the engine has minimal time without oil pressure.
__________________
OK, OK.....Ive been sweet talked into 1 more year.
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #13
tys2010camaro
 
tys2010camaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
wix and purolater and amsoil are what i would use. i think one of those first 2 actually make the napa platinum...correct me if i am wrong. If im not it would make it a fantastic filter.

I like cutting my filters in half just to see how they held up.
Yes, Wix makes NAPA filters and many other top notch filters. I have been to the Wix factory numerious times. After the filter is made, it is branded and labled for that particular vendor.

Also if you cut a NAPA Platinum filter, the media also has a fiberglass type mesh as well as the standard paper media with netting. When buying a filter, an extra $8.00 goes a long way! Blows me away when a guy puts a $4 filter on a $50k car or truck. I deal with this on a daily basis.
tys2010camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #14
denooo11
Dean Voss
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brick NJ
Posts: 87
Send a message via AIM to denooo11
Oil change

8 Quarts Pennzoil 5W/30 with a K&N filter at Advance Auto $ 60
denooo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #15
LS3 SS


 
LS3 SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Clarksville TN
Posts: 2,259
I've had my car for 3 years, and the car has never seen anyone other than myself for an oil change. invest insome basic tools so you can do it yourself and never worry about someone doing it wrong.
__________________
GPI SS3 Cam / PRC 255 heads / Forged 376ci bottom / Fore level 2 fuel system / D1SC ProCharger on 12lbs / Alky control dual nozzle / 770 whp / 649 wtq tuned by Ryan Stevens at GPI
LS3 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #16
GhOsT_2SS
 
GhOsT_2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Killeen, TX
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo White View Post
What ever oil or filter you buy do what I do. Prefill the new filter with oil so that the engine has minimal time without oil pressure.

Good point, I do this myself also. To easy with the way filter installs. I poor in about a half a quart into the filter.
GhOsT_2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:55 AM   #17
Liam
Tampa Bay Camaros
 
Liam's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 - Black
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Palm Harbor, Florida
Posts: 251
I fully agree with doing your own oil changes, and I always have. But unfortunately there can be warranty issues. If you have any type of engine problems, GM will want to see maintenance/oil change records, and self made records will never work. There have been way too many people denied warranty work just for not having all oil changes at the dealer. It really sucks and seems unfair, but it is reality. (Yes I'm sure there will be some exceptions at select dealers)
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.