Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 05-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #35
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx1214 View Post
By the way, look what happened on the highway today. 780 miles. Awesome. I may try to cover it up for a while with some matte paint or something, but I'm going to have to end up getting it re-wrapped. But it's not too promising for the durability of the wrap.

I'm getting a clear bra installed today, when I set up the appt - the shop said they also have matte wrap that could be put over the vinyl. I'll have to ask about cost - sounds like a good idea but not sure it would be much cheaper than new vinyl.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #36
1LE-pilot

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
I also use the silicon drying blade and touch up the little ones that got away with a dry cloth. No streaks, no spots
1LE-pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #37
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat
Water and a towel works wonders honestly. Don't let it air dry, and keep it out of the sun when cleaning it.
Attached Images

FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #38
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Does anyone know if vinyl is permeable? If I use something like Adams SVRT on a regular basis, can it seep through to the paint and if so is there potential to damage the paint after prolonged use? I used this for the first time since I got some stains that soap & water would not remove. I needed to buff a number off times across several hours to get an even finish. It seemed like I'd buff, then some would seep back to the surface. I'd buff, it would seep, and so on. Maybe I used to much, but I'd put a nickel to quarter size dot on the sponge and reload when I'd get dry streaks on the vinyl. Or, maybe this was just because it was the first application. I might eventually peel the vinyl and don't want any surprises if that's 3 years down the road.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #39
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
I'm @ like 7,100 miles on mine already and still looks great. Only a couple TINY nicks in it
Old 05-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #40
fgg60
Sweet Annie!! BRM

Drives: '13 2SS/RS 1LE BRM NPP CF5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluBlud View Post
Does anyone know if vinyl is permeable? If I use something like Adams SVRT on a regular basis, can it seep through to the paint and if so is there potential to damage the paint after prolonged use? I used this for the first time since I got some stains that soap & water would not remove. I needed to buff a number off times across several hours to get an even finish. It seemed like I'd buff, then some would seep back to the surface. I'd buff, it would seep, and so on. Maybe I used to much, but I'd put a nickel to quarter size dot on the sponge and reload when I'd get dry streaks on the vinyl. Or, maybe this was just because it was the first application. I might eventually peel the vinyl and don't want any surprises if that's 3 years down the road.
The vinyl guy who re-wrapped my hood told me it was semi-porous and that when you stop using a product for a while is when the damage to the vinyl will occur. He didn't say anything about the paint, but I would think that VRT wouldn't hurt the paint.
btw... I did NOT like the look of the car as much when he took the old vinyl off.. If I ever take mine off I would seriously consider either painting it or racing stripes
Old 05-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #41
racerx1214

Drives: 2013 1LE
VRT will not hurt paint.

It soaks into the vinyl, but not through the vinyl.

If it soaked through the vinyl to the paint, the wrap would have one hell of an adhesion problem, no?
racerx1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #42
Tyler360

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Stupid question, but are the hoods painted the same color as the car underneath the vinyl?
Old 05-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #43
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I have yet to use my "big box of Adams products" I plan to detail the car this weekend. In the meantime I've been washing and drying immediately then using some Mequiars "Ultimate Quick Detailer" (if necessary) and some old Meguiars "Tech Protectant" that I had laying around. I spray it on a Micro Fiber Towel spread it all over let it sit for maybe 15 min then take another Micro Fiber Towel and buff it off. I'll do this maybe once a week. It looks fantastic.

I can't think of the car with any other look. If and when I change the hood it will stay satin black.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #44
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red 1979 Z28, HBM 2016 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler360 View Post
Stupid question, but are the hoods painted the same color as the car underneath the vinyl?
Yes!

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote