Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 04-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
azw131
Team LLT

Drives: 2012 WRX (Stage 2)
Which Mod Combo for LLT?

For my next mods I'm getting a combo of two of the following

1a. Injen Cold Air Intake
b. Vararam Intake

2.a. Mace 25mm Insulator
b. Black Iceolator

Which two should I go with? I'm interested in best overall performance, but also best overall value. I have no other engine mods at the moment and these may be the only two I get besides a ported throttle body, so I want to make the right decision.
azw131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Drives: 400HP 2LT/RS
Injen and Black Ice. If you go with the Injen, get the SRI version with a dry filter and install the ADM kit and windshield washer bottle relocation kit.

CRAZY BEE - IOM 2LT/RS (more)
!NOW HAVE 80W CREE LED IN STOCK TAIL LENSES!
Cosmetic Mods - 23 | Performance Mods - 14
ROTO-FAB CAI - DT HEADERS - CUSTOM 3-INCH PIPE EXHAUST - RES DEL - R-CATS DEL - MAGNAFLOW RES X-PIPE - 91 OCTANE TUNE - FULL ADM KIT - PORTED IM - PORTED TB - PORTED CH - BLACK 3/8 ISOLATOR - TRIFECTA TUNED
DJ ATOMIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
spyderbuddy

Drives: v6 rs inferno orange/inferno orange
Vararam Hands down
Then Vmax/Rx throttle Body
this wakes the car up.

And Catch Can A good one

Heritage Grill, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, Led Lighting, MBRP Exhaust tips, CNC Trottle Body, Trifecta Tune, Vararam Intake/Green Filter, Chevorlet door Sills, Trunk Black out and RX Catch Can/Breather Kit
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Ventmaster

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS 1LT M6
I vote for Vararam- I don't own one but many members here on C5 who's opinions I respect swear by their's, and I've been won over by their intensity of support.

Pair it with the Mace 25mm. I do own one of these and it has a larger impact on performance in the midrange RPM, which is where we normally operate a street driven car. It makes a 3.6 L engine feel BIGGER.

Vararam for top end response and Mace to cover the middle.
Airaid CAI, Rx ported TB, Mace ported IM, JBA shorty headers, Richmond 3.73, Borla touring axleback, Hurst short throw, NH-SS fix, IDEALG clutch m/c, SS struts/springs, Spohn trailing arms, Pfadt Racing sways, Pedders radius arm & rear subframe bushing inserts, 2LT gauge pkg.TSW Nurburgs. IPF S/C
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
wwoody
wwoody

Drives: 2011 Vert
1.b. Vararam Intake
2.b. Black Ice
wwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2011 1LT M6 TT/ NEW 2013 Malibu 1LT
Vararam - Vmax TB - insulator - catch can. In my opinion being the 4th person to own one best on the market. They replaced my first one free of charge when the revision came out.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III
Old 04-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
rtcat600man
having FUN now 13.66@101

Drives: 2010 2LT IOM
I currently have the INJEN. I am at the point of looking to mod my mods. There is a good chance by next spring I will be looking to run a Vararam. They were not available at the time I bought my Injen. I am thinking about switching because I am currently # 7 on the 1/4 mile drag race. I was running in perfect conditions the other day. Set a new PB. With the amount of mods I have I should have seen more top end speed. My thought is my Injen is starting to restrict my top end air flow. HP?

As your first mod, I would get a good catch can thou.

After the CAI (Vararam)I would look to get the insulator. Either one will work. I have the Black Ice-olator and it works great.

Good Luck and keep us informed on what you decide.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #8
azw131
Team LLT

Seems like vararam and black ice are the two most popular. I was leaning towards that combo to begin with actually. I probably won't be buying either for a few weeks but ill update this thread when I do
Old 04-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
RubyCamaro
SSlayer

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
From that group I'd pick Vararam & BlackIceolator. Of course personally I'm partial to CAI inc. but performance wise I think Vararam is maybe a little better. I just think it is ugly IMHO.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
With the options you gave I would have to say the Vararam and the Black Ice. Personally im not a fan of the Vararam with the way it looks in the engine bay so my opinion would be to get the CAI inc CAI with the Apex scoop and washer relocation kit.
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
azw131
Team LLT

My car is a DD and not a show car so what everything looks like under the hood doesn't matter much to me. I'm just looking for best performance to cost and it seems like the vararam/black ice fits the bill
Old 04-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
PoorMansCamaro
n00b

Drives: Really Slow
have to say injen and doesn't matter which insulator/isolator you get.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
KMPrenger

Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
I actually like the way the Vararam looks, but I think I'm in the minority lol. I know at shows when people see it, they can't figure out how the heck it breathes.

I was talking to one older guy about it, and I'm pretty sure he thought I was just some guy with no clue. Oh wells....can't win em all.
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
azw131
Team LLT

Just wanted to update, I've decided to go with the vararam and Mace. Initially I thought the Black Ice would be better for me but I really do mainly city driving and would much rather have more pull down low. I'm also looking into doing an RX Catch can and either Ported TB and/or IM. Some people say it really only pays to have one. I'm currently talking to some members who are selling their vararams and will probably have one soon. After that I'll look into the Mace, then the TB and/or IM. Catch can is gonna be last. I know everyone says it's the most important first mod but my car already has 40,000 miles on it and to some extent I think oil leakage is a foregone conclusion. Not to mention, I can only imagine the type of mess there will be to clean up for when I get it installed.

Mods: Bolt On's and Such, Some Cosmetic Stuff Too
Old 05-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #15
RubyCamaro
SSlayer

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
In that case you might want to read this thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286229

Keep us posted!
Old 05-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #16
ZoMBiE_KMF
Camaro Club of NM

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, Sold: [COTW 2/20/12]
I tried a bunch of different combos. Vararam and Injen with both 3/8" and 1" Black Ice-olators and I personally like the Injen and 1" combo the best. Mostly for city driving that combo had a lot of low end power.

Just know that MACE might actually send you a Black Ice. I had ordered the 25mm from them and they sent me the 1" Black Ice-olator.

Tags
black ice-olator, injen, mace, vararam