Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 05-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #35
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: 2016 Z06?
It was mentioned somewhere that NO AC saved 20 lbs.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #36
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
It was mentioned somewhere that NO AC saved 20 lbs.
It's got to be more than that. The ones I've removed have added up to a bunch of lbs. Someone in the inner circle email an engineer and ask?
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #37
carman II

Drives: 87 IROC Z, 91 Z28, 2013 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick06 View Post
I hope the Z/28 does well and I hope the price is right. I know GM usually has the best bang for buck vehicles and given the price and performance of the ZL1 I'm confident they will price the Z/28 correctly. If it does weigh under 3,700 lbs that will be awesome as a base level and then you could just add more power with a good H/C package since the Z06 has been out for over 7 years now there is plenty of track testing done on this LS7 motor. I'm guessing it comes in just under $70k with no options which is a great deal considering the Carbon Ceramic brakes which cost $8k separately.
Based on the poll in this forum about 2/3 of the potential Z28 buyers will pass at that price.
carman II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #38
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
It's got to be more than that. The ones I've removed have added up to a bunch of lbs. Someone in the inner circle email an engineer and ask?
Compressor is 15 pounds.

http://www.discountacparts.com/Chevr...~03174_NC.html
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #39
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
We can ask Number 3 in the Schno thread.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #40
Bomino

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
according to BMR, all A/C related components = 48.4 lbs +/-

SOURCE
Old 05-13-2013, 07:47 PM   #41
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomino View Post

SOURCE
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #42
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:

SOURCE
That appears to include both the AC and heating system.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #43
Bomino

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
yes, without

A/C LINES AND DUCTING
A/C-HEAT BLOWER MOTOR ASSY

its 36.6 lbs +/-
Old 05-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #44
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Thanks for the great link.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:43 PM   #45
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
yes, without

A/C LINES AND DUCTING
A/C-HEAT BLOWER MOTOR ASSY

its 36.6 lbs +/-
That's a great article! Thanks for posting.

By my math and his info I get 43'ish?:

"A/C EVAPORATOR CORE ASSY.
A/C COMPRESSOR
A/C CONDENSER
A/C LINES AND DUCTING
A/C FIREWALL COVER
3.6"
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #46
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

I believe some of that does double duty for the heater.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:53 PM   #47

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I believe some of that does double duty for the heater.
How about the actual coolant/freon....if it's anything like I remember, it's on the heavy side....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #48
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
..just talkin out loud folks...if they price this baby like a growing majority is calculating then they will be cutting off our noses to spite their face <sarcasim>. 500 units...only for the elite collector and a few racers. I know the numbers, the models, the statistics, lineage, history yada yada...what would be the point of that...for a Camaro..and I am a life long Camaro guy. Also, I am a life long Camaro Z-28 guy who would like to get this model by trading in my ZL1 on it. I am getting old, can't keep everything..soooo. It's ok if it's priced to the moon, I have a ZL1 anyway. But, I don't see their logic in doing that, only if there was a sanctioned race series they were entering and needed to hit a finite limted production to get the car in. Just sayin....
Old 05-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #49
shaffe

Drives: 2012 Focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
..just talkin out loud folks...if they price this baby like a growing majority is calculating then they will be cutting off our noses to spite their face <sarcasim>. 500 units...only for the elite collector and a few racers. I know the numbers, the models, the statistics, lineage, history yada yada...what would be the point of that...for a Camaro..and I am a life long Camaro guy. Also, I am a life long Camaro Z-28 guy who would like to get this model by trading in my ZL1 on it. I am getting old, can't keep everything..soooo. It's ok if it's priced to the moon, I have a ZL1 anyway. But, I don't see their logic in doing that, only if there was a sanctioned race series they were entering and needed to hit a finite limted production to get the car in. Just sayin....
hypothetically if its an outrageous price they have a few reasons to do it.

1. Because they can, they are showing off how capable they are, and how capable this car is/can be.

2. Send the 5th gen out with a bang, need some excitement with the next mustang right around the corner and the 6th gen camaro a few years away too.

3. They wanted to make this a car you can buy and go race, so props to them for doing it right.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 AM   #50
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
hypothetically if its an outrageous price they have a few reasons to do it.

1. Because they can, they are showing off how capable they are, and how capable this car is/can be.

2. Send the 5th gen out with a bang, need some excitement with the next mustang right around the corner and the 6th gen camaro a few years away too.

3. They wanted to make this a car you can buy and go race, so props to them for doing it right.
Chevy proved their capability of doing something they never did before, and in a way, to show that they could. The ZL1. It was underpriced by performance metrics VS it's MSRP. They seemingly answered our pleas here on the Z-28 forum where we discussed the bulding of the Z-28 with the LS7 in a final go out with a blow out ride. We got it built, by gosh yes they are doing it! By making a car they can race and doing it right, then it should have been a COPO style no VIN race only model, not similar to that of the ZL1 where it's warrantied for racing, but can be a DD.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #51

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Chevy proved their capability of doing something they never did before, and in a way, to show that they could. The ZL1. It was underpriced by performance metrics VS it's MSRP. They seemingly answered our pleas here on the Z-28 forum where we discussed the bulding of the Z-28 with the LS7 in a final go out with a blow out ride. We got it built, by gosh yes they are doing it! By making a car they can race and doing it right, then it should have been a COPO style no VIN race only model, not similar to that of the ZL1 where it's warrantied for racing, but can be a DD.
I'm thinking perhaps these Z/28s just may "magically" stop at 692(?) or whatever it was they built in '67...I don't think they realistically can make very many of them that are street-legal, for a variety of reasons....

Perhaps a COPO similar program for a track car would be how they continue on....(COPOs were street-legal, but that's not how they're building them now, either)....LS7s, the 5thGens themselves, aren't gonna be around for very much longer anyways...Another guess, they will only be MY 2014 (built as long as the rules allow)...no '15s....who knows...

It's been said various times and in different ways, that they considered calling the ZL1 the Z/28...It's more Z/28ish to how a lot of people would have wanted the Z/28 built for affordability, and street-ability...Stripper cars will never be big sellers, no matter what form they come in...

I think the bottom line will be, if you really, really want one, you better get one as soon as possible...I don't think the Z/28 in it's present form will be around very long....

Last edited by 90503; 05-14-2013 at 11:07 AM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote