Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #43
Dave K
 
Drives: 2012 CRT ZL1, 1969 Buick 225 conv
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: W. Bloomfield Michigan
Posts: 104
No rain here, drive the mustang in the rain. Don't want to have to detail the engine compartment. i like opening the hood and seeing it clean. It almost happened once, i had to go home and have a drink to clam down.LOL
Dave K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #44
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature
 
Drives: Mini Cooper S
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central FL
Posts: 2,302
^ lol Too funny!
__________________
bumblebeecamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #45
Kevlar382
 
Kevlar382's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 ZL1; '71 RS/Z28; '99 Vette Conv
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Holland MI
Posts: 567
My 99 Corvette has never been in the rain and my ZL1 never will be either. Not that the rain really matters, just don't use them unless it's really nice out.
Kevlar382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #46
Terebit
TBit
 
Terebit's Avatar
 
Drives: 1973 Camaro Type LT & 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ohio
Posts: 44
There are 4 brand NEW ZL1s in the parking lot of the local dealer. They're trashed out from the rain and pollen. Some day one will be owned by someone who will say, mine has never been in the rain. If I never drove mine when there was a chance of rain, or ran home at the first sprinkle, I'd never get to enjoy driving it.
Terebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #47
jashobbsie
Davenport Stage 5+
 
jashobbsie's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro ZL1 & C7 Corvette 3LT Z51
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 471
the main reason I don't drive in the rain is....the roads are filthy where I live...and I'd hate to dirty up the engine compartment every time after a rain fall... I have a jeep and a truck made for that stuff.... plus I want to keep this car in great pristine condition for my son who is now 10 when he is get his full blown license... he's going to be one lucky kid.
Thanks for all the replies guys, really enjoyed reading everyone of them... cheers!

Jason
jashobbsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #48
Kevlar382
 
Kevlar382's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 ZL1; '71 RS/Z28; '99 Vette Conv
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Holland MI
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terebit View Post
There are 4 brand NEW ZL1s in the parking lot of the local dealer. They're trashed out from the rain and pollen. Some day one will be owned by someone who will say, mine has never been in the rain. If I never drove mine when there was a chance of rain, or ran home at the first sprinkle, I'd never get to enjoy driving it.
I think when most people say never been in the rain they mean never driven in the rain. Sitting in the rain doesn't get the underside all dirty like driving in the rain. Like I said I don't really see what it hurts, I just don't use them if it's not a really nice day.
Kevlar382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #49
SIM Curly

 
SIM Curly's Avatar
 
Drives: Silver 1LT 2011 camaro
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Decatur, Alabama and Troy, Alabama
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVmyZL1 View Post
you really think it's a good idea to let a 16 year old kid with a fresh license get behind the wheel of a high performance car like the ZL1? If it were my kid, at 16 he'd be lucky to get behind of a high-mileage LT Camaro, let alone a "pristine" ZL1. If we're still around 6years from now, let me know how that turns out!
6 years down the road I think a stock car with 580hp will be low on the totem pole. Unless they come out with restrictions because HP is increasing like crazy every year for stock cars.
__________________
SIM Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #50
littlecammi
 
littlecammi's Avatar
 
Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashobbsie View Post
I don't drive in the rain because I want to keep this car in great pristine condition for my son who is now 10. When he gets his license he's going to be one lucky kid.
Josh Ammirato's father thought he was being nice to his son when he gave him the keys to his BMW M5. (see news report below)

Five young men were killed early Saturday, January 26, 2008, at Greystone Airport in Florida when the 2008 BMW M5 sports sedan they were traveling in crashed in a high speed accident after being driven on the actual airport strip. Behind the wheel was 18-year-old Joshua Ammirato and riding along in the car were four of his friends. They were returning from a party.

According to local news sources in Ocala, the car skidded at the end of the runway, turned sideways and then sailed up an embankment before crashing into a tree and bursting into flames. The car, which was registered to Ammirato’s father, broke into two pieces after hitting the tree.

Interestingly, Ammirato posted messages on an M5 forum only 12 hours before the crash seeking advice on how to shift gears smoothly when the car was in its max 500hp setting. Some of his posts included: "The problem is when I'm going pedal to the metal pushing 140 and upshifting, there tends to be thud noise with the gear change," and “I am beginner when it comes to high performance cars as I am only 18”.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #51
SIM Curly

 
SIM Curly's Avatar
 
Drives: Silver 1LT 2011 camaro
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Decatur, Alabama and Troy, Alabama
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
Josh Ammirato's father thought he was being nice to his son when he gave him the keys to his BMW M5. (see news report below)

Five young men were killed early Saturday, January 26, 2008, at Greystone Airport in Florida when the 2008 BMW M5 sports sedan they were traveling in crashed in a high speed accident after being driven on the actual airport strip. Behind the wheel was 18-year-old Joshua Ammirato and riding along in the car were four of his friends. They were returning from a party.

According to local news sources in Ocala, the car skidded at the end of the runway, turned sideways and then sailed up an embankment before crashing into a tree and bursting into flames. The car, which was registered to Ammirato’s father, broke into two pieces after hitting the tree.

Interestingly, Ammirato posted messages on an M5 forum only 12 hours before the crash seeking advice on how to shift gears smoothly when the car was in its max 500hp setting. Some of his posts included: "The problem is when I'm going pedal to the metal pushing 140 and upshifting, there tends to be thud noise with the gear change," and “I am beginner when it comes to high performance cars as I am only 18”.
How did they get on the airstripe returning from a party?
__________________
SIM Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #52
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!
 
Blk-Ice's Avatar
 
Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Northern VA & NC
Posts: 2,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashobbsie View Post
went out for a drive, myself and my wife for supper....looked a little cloudy...I said, " ah who cares, if she gets dirty she get dirty...."
And then on the way home it started to peck rain....all of a sudden I started to panic...and I floored her all the way home and into the bat cave! lol safe and sound...still haven't seen the rain.... whooo
I have realized that I have a problem....I just hate to see my car dirty, have any of you felt like this? My wife thinks I'm crazy!



cheers
That sounds exactly like me....LOL! I have gone warp speed back to the garage to beat tha rain! The USS Enterprise aint got nuthin on ME!!!
__________________
Fear the LMR Twisted Reaper Brotherhood!
Blk-Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #53
littlecammi
 
littlecammi's Avatar
 
Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM Curly View Post
How did they get on the airstrip returning from a party?
He deliberately entered the small local airport to use the 1.5 mile long runway to show off the powerful motor to his friends and test the car's top speed, but because of his inexperience he didn't brake soon enough and ran out of runway. (I believe in another report of the same crash it stated that he was familiar with the airport because his father also owned a private plane at that same airport.)
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #54
SIM Curly

 
SIM Curly's Avatar
 
Drives: Silver 1LT 2011 camaro
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Decatur, Alabama and Troy, Alabama
Posts: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
He deliberately entered the small local airport to use the 1.5 mile long runway to show off the powerful motor to his friends and test the car's top speed, but because of his inexperience he didn't brake soon enough and ran out of runway. (I believe in another report of the same crash it stated that his father also owned a private plane at that same small airport.)
I wouldn't blame it on him having to much horsepower just him being stupid. Yes the horsepower is what got him to test it but then again if you run out of road on an airstrip doing a high amount of speed nothing good will happen. Not all kids are that negligent
__________________
SIM Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #55
dookie454
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 101
I used to have a black Trans am, couldn't touch it without scratching it... Now live on a dirt road... So now bought a white+black striped SS, and put the molded mud flaps on... And drive it every day except in snow/salt since water doesn't rot metal, salt does.

I used to not drive it when the dirt was muddy.... Then one day I said hell with it... and of course, as I pull out of the driveway that morning a large commercial truck comes barreling down, hits a HUGE mud hole and I get mud cake all in the grill and hood, w/s, rims, etc. But now I don't care!! And, since I stopped caring, never been mud blasted again!

The mud flaps keep all the mud off the car even driving 20mph down these muddy dirt roads! The white paint doesn't show dirt.... Life is good when ur drivin yer maro and not the beater winter truck.
dookie454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #56
jashobbsie
Davenport Stage 5+
 
jashobbsie's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro ZL1 & C7 Corvette 3LT Z51
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar382 View Post
I think when most people say never been in the rain they mean never driven in the rain. Sitting in the rain doesn't get the underside all dirty like driving in the rain. Like I said I don't really see what it hurts, I just don't use them if it's not a really nice day.
I think theres a difference between drivin in the dirty rain and parked in the rain...your engine wont get dirty parked...lol cheers
jashobbsie is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.