Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
GM Carlisle
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #57
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Hope you're right....that would be a great scenario....but just thinking, I would have thought that sort of thing would have happenened already with the ZL1, 1LE, Boss 302, etc....If the Z/28 is what it takes to get things over the hump, that would be awesome....
The magnetic suspension of the ZL1 takes it out of the running for a series car. The rules for a production series are pretty strict to prevent one team from having an unfair advantage over the others. The 1LE and Boss 302 are really just street cars with track packs; they're good but not intended to run an entire year-long series. All those cars are perfectly fine and affordable for the average weekend racer. So why the sudden showing from Chevy and Dodge for these new pull-out-all-stops track cars? Maybe I'm just being too curious but it seems odd to me unless something else is in the works that hasn't been announced yet because it's not ready.

A car like a Z/28 and whatever Dodge is developing is going to be capable of running an entire manufacturer's series with the extreme demands such a series has. That's why I'm hoping such a series is soon to be. I'm basing that hope on what I'm seeing in the Z/28 and the fact that Dodge who's basically been a non-participant in the Camaro/Mustang wars, suddenly announces they're jumping in at the Z/28 level. If that's such a limited market, then why go to the expense of getting into it? I'm feeling there just HAS to be something else going on here for all of this to make sense. And I won't at all be surprised if Ford makes an announcement of a genuine track Mustang in the near future. If they do...it's good times for performance enthusiasts.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #58
Wizard1183

 
Wizard1183's Avatar
 
Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lafayette,LA
Posts: 1,484
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
The magnetic suspension of the ZL1 takes it out of the running for a series car. The rules for a production series are pretty strict to prevent one team from having an unfair advantage over the others. The 1LE and Boss 302 are really just street cars with track packs; they're good but not intended to run an entire year-long series. All those cars are perfectly fine and affordable for the average weekend racer. So why the sudden showing from Chevy and Dodge for these new pull-out-all-stops track cars? Maybe I'm just being too curious but it seems odd to me unless something else is in the works that hasn't been announced yet because it's not ready.

A car like a Z/28 and whatever Dodge is developing is going to be capable of running an entire manufacturer's series with the extreme demands such a series has. That's why I'm hoping such a series is soon to be. I'm basing that hope on what I'm seeing in the Z/28 and the fact that Dodge who's basically been a non-participant in the Camaro/Mustang wars, suddenly announces they're jumping in at the Z/28 level. If that's such a limited market, then why go to the expense of getting into it? I'm feeling there just HAS to be something else going on here for all of this to make sense. And I won't at all be surprised if Ford makes an announcement of a genuine track Mustang in the near future. If they do...it's good times for performance enthusiasts.
I'll take a pick as to what dodge calls their own track car and say it'll be the Barricuda since it was on par with euro cars and basically a track car over a muscle car. Here's a clip I got from an article:

The original Plymouth Barracuda was not a muscle car; powered by a slant six or a 273 V8 (later getting an optional 340 or 383), the Barracuda was a (then-hot) Valiant with a fastback rear. Barracuda was praised for its fine “European style” handling; some critics said the Formula S, with the 340 or smaller engine, could beat comparable German cars on twists and turns. It took six years for Barracuda to leave the small “A” body, largely so Plymouth could stuff the big 440 and 426 Hemi engines into it.
__________________


Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #59
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
I'll take a pick as to what dodge calls their own track car and say it'll be the Barricuda since it was on par with euro cars and basically a track car over a muscle car. Here's a clip I got from an article:

The original Plymouth Barracuda was not a muscle car; powered by a slant six or a 273 V8 (later getting an optional 340 or 383), the Barracuda was a (then-hot) Valiant with a fastback rear. Barracuda was praised for its fine “European style” handling; some critics said the Formula S, with the 340 or smaller engine, could beat comparable German cars on twists and turns. It took six years for Barracuda to leave the small “A” body, largely so Plymouth could stuff the big 440 and 426 Hemi engines into it.
Z/28's, Barracudas and Mustangs going head-to-head on road courses in America? OH YEAH!!! Man would that be great to see!!
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #60
Wizard1183

 
Wizard1183's Avatar
 
Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lafayette,LA
Posts: 1,484
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Z/28's, Barracudas and Mustangs going head-to-head on road courses in America? OH YEAH!!! Man would that be great to see!!
__________________


Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #61
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Z06, GS or ZL1?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Z/28's, Barracudas and Mustangs going head-to-head on road courses in America? OH YEAH!!! Man would that be great to see!!
A new United Sports Car Club series???
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #62
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
A new United Sports Car Club series???
I would love to see manufactures compete in the new series!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #63
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: Z06, GS or ZL1?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,773
It would "be" the good "new" days.
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #64
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Z/28's, Barracudas and Mustangs going head-to-head on road courses in America? OH YEAH!!! Man would that be great to see!!
Can you envision Mark Donahue, Dan Gurney, and Parnelli Jones....., what's old is new....history repeats itself...<a couple of old sayings>
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #65
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years
 
ParisTNDude's Avatar
 
Drives: Garnet red 2016 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Paris, TN
Posts: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
........... I'm feeling there just HAS to be something else going on here for all of this to make sense. And I won't at all be surprised if Ford makes an announcement of a genuine track Mustang in the near future. If they do...it's good times for performance enthusiasts.
I think Ford may upgrade the Boss 302 to some degree, but I don't see them doing anything brand new to compete. From what I've read, the Boss is just about the max possible from their antiquated platform except for mild HP increases. Their current chassis struggles big time to handle 444 HP. I think the new Mustang platform coming in 2015-16 will leap frog the current track car competition causing another flurry of catch up tactics from the competition. JMHO. But you're right...awesome times for all of us.
__________________
2016 Camaro 2SS, Garnet Red Metalic, 8A, NPP, Nav, Sun Roof, upgraded silver wheels, lit door sills, Ash gray interior.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto
2002 C5 Corvette 6M
2006 Corvette Auto
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #66
shaffe

 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 2,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
I think Ford may upgrade the Boss 302 to some degree, but I don't see them doing anything brand new to compete. From what I've read, the Boss is just about the max possible from their antiquated platform except for mild HP increases. Their current chassis struggles big time to handle 444 HP. I think the new Mustang platform coming in 2015-16 will leap frog the current track car competition causing another flurry of catch up tactics from the competition. JMHO. But you're right...awesome times for all of us.
The Boss was only made for 12-13. The Mustang is in model year 14 already, so I would have to agree that they won't compete soon. Maybe model year 16 but by then the Z/28 might be done as well. We will have to wait and see
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #67
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 3,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
I think Ford may upgrade the Boss 302 to some degree, but I don't see them doing anything brand new to compete. From what I've read, the Boss is just about the max possible from their antiquated platform except for mild HP increases. Their current chassis struggles big time to handle 444 HP. I think the new Mustang platform coming in 2015-16 will leap frog the current track car competition causing another flurry of catch up tactics from the competition. JMHO. But you're right...awesome times for all of us.
Yeah it's going to have to be an IRS Mustang but when you look at the timing; sometime probably late next year... all 3 companies aiming at coming out with cars that supposedly have an extremely limited market which normally equals to little or no profit... makes me wonder. These are also cars that have a higher investment cost to create and probably produce. It just doesn't make economic/business sense UNLESS there's a greater plan/vision in play here.

A new manufacturer's competition series with these kinds of cars would be just freakin great. The big 3 combining their advertising budgets to really pump public interest....just look at how the Transformer's movie cranked up interest in Bumblebee/Camaros. And then after the debut year, the 'foreign' car makers want to join the party. Now you have Japanese and German cars adding to the fun. I can see Mazda and BMW in particular wanting to compete.

We could be on the edge of some great motoring times.... or I could just be dreaming lol... we'll see.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #68
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 11,656
My $.02....The Big 3 thing might be in the future, but it seems like for now GM and the Z/28 are shooting for what's out there now to compete/out-do the foreign makes...(..."...faster than the ZL-1...as well as other way more expensive, exotic foreign cars....")....

Advertising, marketing wise I'm seeing it more directed to European, international type appeal to help boost sales and attract the foreign competition buyers to Chevy, not so much from Ford and Dodge....

....Not a bad thing, if it's even a plausible thought, just that for now Ford and Dodge have nothing....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #69
Wizard1183

 
Wizard1183's Avatar
 
Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lafayette,LA
Posts: 1,484
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
It's possible the big 3 come out with low production cars that are flat out amazing, i.e. Z/28, Barricuda??? Mustang whatever... then make production models in the next gens for all to be able to afford and capitalize making the general public buy "the badge" to creat an effect that you've bought similar to what was produced beforehand.
__________________


Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:43 AM   #70
OldScoolCamaro


 
Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Home of the brave
Posts: 4,851
^...oh yeah, I follow you...you mean just like they did for close to forty years after the muscle car era died...resulting in part to the auto industry collapse,...yes, that's the ticket,...the recipe for successs...yesiriee Bob...
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.