Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #1
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5
 
CamaroC-17's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,647
Getting new engine Dealer said putting in 2012-13 motor?I have a 2010

Hey guys. Been awhile since I have posted. Earlier this year my car was drinking a quart of oil every fill up and timing chains went bad. They did a leak down test and one cylinder had 100% leak down and the others were leaking aswell. They tore it down and said its not repairable. So they ordered a new engine. Well, I got a call from the dealer saying they got a 2012-2013 engine (thought he was about to tell me they got the wrong one) because the 2010 motor is no longer available. I said the LFX? He replied not really knowing what the LFX was. I said the 2012 motor has a different intake manifold (didn't mention the headers). He said no we used your intake manifold. Said the new motor includes, block,heads, valve covers, oil pan, valve covers, oil pump, water pump, and sensors. So is there a 2012 LLT motor? I know the 2012 traverse has one but its a completely different motor designed for front wheel drive. I don't know what to think. Should have it back by today or tomorrow. He said I would be happy to know I got an upgraded motor

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician
 
SPARTAN sui's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 1,474
Hmm interesting, I'm curious too.
__________________
SPARTAN sui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroc5 View Post
Hey guys. Been awhile since I have posted. Earlier this year my car was drinking a quart of oil every fill up and timing chains went bad. They did a leak down test and one cylinder had 100% leak down and the others were leaking aswell. They tore it down and said its not repairable. So they ordered a new engine. Well, I got a call from the dealer saying they got a 2012-2013 engine (thought he was about to tell me they got the wrong one) because the 2010 motor is no longer available. I said the LFX? He replied not really knowing what the LFX was. I said the 2012 motor has a different intake manifold (didn't mention the headers). He said no we used your intake manifold. Said the new motor includes, block,heads, valve covers, oil pan, valve covers, oil pump, water pump, and sensors. So is there a 2012 LLT motor? I know the 2012 traverse has one but its a completely different motor designed for front wheel drive. I don't know what to think. Should have it back by today or tomorrow. He said I would be happy to know I got an upgraded motor

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
They can use a Traverse engine. The differences that allow it to work for the FWD are minimal. They'll just have to swap some parts off your old motor (i.e., oil pan) to make it work.
__________________
New Ride -- 2015 Z06 2LZ (stock) -- Journal
Old Ride -- 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS (647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ) -- Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5
 
CamaroC-17's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,647
This looks different. Look at the oil filter
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5
 
CamaroC-17's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
They can use a Traverse engine. The differences that allow it to work for the FWD are minimal. They'll just have to swap some parts off your old motor (i.e., oil pan) to make it work.
Would it make the same power? In the traverse it makes like 280. Intake and exhaust on the camaro might change this?
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
PoorMansCamaro



 
PoorMansCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: Really Slow
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 55,323
this makes no sense. lol I would call the service department. ask to talk to someone working on your car, and ask them exactly what engine they are putting in your car. I swear, dealerships are morons, 9 out of 10 times.

all hell would break loose if they put a 288hp motor into my Camaro.

edit: if they are somehow able to put the lfx in your car, that would be pretty sweet.
__________________
PoorMansCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #7
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroc5 View Post
Would it make the same power? In the traverse it makes like 280. Intake and exhaust on the camaro might change this?
I think once they change the exhaust and exhaust your ECM will take care of the rest.
__________________
New Ride -- 2015 Z06 2LZ (stock) -- Journal
Old Ride -- 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS (647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ) -- Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
CamaroC-17
Formerly Camaroc5
 
CamaroC-17's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LT/RS M6
Join Date: May 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,647
How do you think this will affect resale value?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
CamaroC-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
blkngldbabe
Barossa's handler
 
blkngldbabe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT/RS RJT
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Highland Chev,Aurora Ontario
Posts: 1,099
I just looked up the LLT for my car (same model and year) and while the original engine number has changed up, it's now considered a "service" engine but has 414 engines at the engine warehouse. It's a new number but still the LLT that fits the Camaro. The number is 12645813. Hope this helps.
__________________
SLP's GTA Master Specialty Vehicle and Master Parts Dealer
blkngldbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros
 
menendez1293's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tallahassee FL
Posts: 9,665
That is strange. I would show up at the dealer and request to see what they are doing and exactly what they are putting in.
__________________
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #11
tonymac
 
tonymac's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 Blk SS 2SS/RS 1LE - SOLD :-(
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroc5 View Post
So is there a 2012 LLT motor?
Yes. My 2012 V6 is an LLT, not a LFX.
tonymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #12
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 SS Camaro, 06 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 12,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
I think once they change the exhaust and exhaust your ECM will take care of the rest.
I thought the Transverse version didn't have direct injection? Maybe the newer ones do?

I think it is a bit strange as well. As I told Camaroc5 in PM, I'm wondering if it isn't some new version of the LLT? (not upgraded power wise, but maybe has some reliability revisions??) Jut a thought.


If it turns out to be a new LFX, and they add in the single exhaust pipes and a new Delphi ECM...I need to figure out how to blow my engine up.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 SS Camaro, 06 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 12,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac View Post
Yes. My 2012 V6 is an LLT, not a LFX.
No it isn't.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #14
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I thought the Transverse version didn't have direct injection? Maybe the newer ones do?

I think it is a bit strange as well. As I told Camaroc5 in PM, I'm wondering if it isn't some new version of the LLT? (not upgraded power wise, but maybe has some reliability revisions??) Jut a thought.


If it turns out to be a new LFX, and they add in the single exhaust pipes and a new Delphi ECM...I need to figure out how to blow my engine up.
All the LLTs have direct injection. The long blocks are all the same. It's just things like intake manifold, exhaust, airbox, some plumbing, etc. that vary by platform.
__________________
New Ride -- 2015 Z06 2LZ (stock) -- Journal
Old Ride -- 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS (647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ) -- Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.