Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
sjm autoprod
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #15
SC2150
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 6,069
M1 is not nearly as good as it used to be. For of the shelf oil, Castrol syntec is great, pennzoil/QS as well. For a premium Amsoil, valvoline, etc. I stll cant bring myself to trust RP oil.....no problems with gear lube, etc. but we lost to many engines in the days they were title sponsor of some of the IHRA classes.

The biggest issue is using convemtional or a dexos approvend blend. After breakin, get a good full syn in and never use a conventioanl. It is a sure recipe for failure (I know of no one doing more with the LLT & LFX engines than RX). Any one that should know better and still uses conventional is just asking for failure.

And yes, the new chains are improved, but not by alot. It is also critical that you check oil levels regularly as these do NOT have low oil indicators, so you need to monitor it every few fuel fuel ups.



SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #16
ChadG

 
ChadG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
M1 is not nearly as good as it used to be. For of the shelf oil, Castrol syntec is great, pennzoil/QS as well. For a premium Amsoil, valvoline, etc. I stll cant bring myself to trust RP oil.....no problems with gear lube, etc. but we lost to many engines in the days they were title sponsor of some of the IHRA classes.

The biggest issue is using convemtional or a dexos approvend blend. After breakin, get a good full syn in and never use a conventioanl. It is a sure recipe for failure (I know of no one doing more with the LLT & LFX engines than RX). Any one that should know better and still uses conventional is just asking for failure.

And yes, the new chains are improved, but not by alot. It is also critical that you check oil levels regularly as these do NOT have low oil indicators, so you need to monitor it every few fuel fuel ups.



Looks like I might be switching to Syntech . . . I've actually heard bad things about the Penzoil, though?
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #17
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!
 
nyrfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 10,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
Looks like I might be switching to Syntech . . . I've actually heard bad things about the Penzoil, though?
Penzoil platinum is getting better results then M1 on lab tests. M1 is not what it used to be and PP is a very good store bought oil. I am switching to it when I next change my oil.


Sent from my 2SS/RS
__________________
Soprano 4/1/00-6/14/11, Gone but NEVER forgotten!
FSP tuned: 377/389
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #18
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead
 
TooCool5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Join Date: May 2009
Location: TAXED in CT
Posts: 4,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Penzoil platinum is getting better results then M1 on lab tests. M1 is not what it used to be and PP is a very good store bought oil. I am switching to it when I next change my oil.


Sent from my 2SS/RS
^ This ^
__________________
2010 Camaro Auto, Inferno Orange, Titanium Interior, Gearhead Wheels AIRAID CAI
TooCool5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #19
strych9
Gone Euro!
 
strych9's Avatar
 
Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes, Daytona 955i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 3,036
I fail to see how synthetic oil can keep a timing chain from stretching. Any enlightenment on the subject would be appreciated.
__________________
Bye bye, Bumblebee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #20
PieNsky

 
PieNsky's Avatar
 
Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Louisville,KY
Posts: 1,897
It didn't help the Cadillac 3.6 either. With that said, it is what goes in my Camaro.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #21
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead
 
TooCool5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Join Date: May 2009
Location: TAXED in CT
Posts: 4,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
I fail to see how synthetic oil can keep a timing chain from stretching. Any enlightenment on the subject would be appreciated.
All so far that reported failures were using synthetic and went by the original oil monitor (9,000 - 10,000) oil change intervals.

I don't think we ever had anyone com on here and say they changed their oil between 3,500 - 4,500 miles and the chains failed.
__________________
2010 Camaro Auto, Inferno Orange, Titanium Interior, Gearhead Wheels AIRAID CAI
TooCool5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #22
ChadG

 
ChadG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
All so far that reported failures were using synthetic and went by the original oil monitor (9,000 - 10,000) oil change intervals.

I don't think we ever had anyone com on here and say they changed their oil between 3,500 - 4,500 miles and the chains failed.
Yeah watch me be the first one . . . I've changed every 3k with Mobil 1 (which I know is probably flushing money down the toilet) but I'm so paranoid about these chains . . . .
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #23
strych9
Gone Euro!
 
strych9's Avatar
 
Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes, Daytona 955i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 3,036
That still doesn't make sense, from an engineering standpoint. My understanding is that the chains are stretching, not wearing. If that's true, oil or change intervals wouldn't have anything to do with that failure. It would be a weakness in the chain material.

Add to the fact that, if it were the oil that was breaking down prematurely, other components (bearings, can lobes, cylinder walls) would be damaged too. I assume that isn't happening. Until someone can post up a technical reason why this happens, I'm not buying the oil explanation.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Bye bye, Bumblebee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #24
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead
 
TooCool5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Join Date: May 2009
Location: TAXED in CT
Posts: 4,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
That still doesn't make sense, from an engineering standpoint. My understanding is that the chains are stretching, not wearing. If that's true, oil or change intervals wouldn't have anything to do with that failure. It would be a weakness in the chain material.

Add to the fact that, if it were the oil that was breaking down prematurely, other components (bearings, can lobes, cylinder walls) would be damaged too. I assume that isn't happening. Until someone can post up a technical reason why this happens, I'm not buying the oil explanation.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
Wait a minute, so you guys are saying 9,000 - 10,000 mile oil changes are OK??
That is what the orig monitor let you go.
__________________
2010 Camaro Auto, Inferno Orange, Titanium Interior, Gearhead Wheels AIRAID CAI
TooCool5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:02 PM   #25
strych9
Gone Euro!
 
strych9's Avatar
 
Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes, Daytona 955i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 3,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
Wait a minute, so you guys are saying 9,000 - 10,000 mile oil changes are OK??
That is what the orig monitor let you go.
My Porsche called for 15k oil changes...using good old Mobil One.

I've gone to seminars about motor oil, synthetics, etc. A C5 member (Gunny, I think) did testing and proved that there was no significant degradation or contamination in the oil after 8k miles of use.

Synthetic oil will go the distance with no problem. No OEM is going to make that claim unless it's a fact. They are responsible for the warranty, after all.

All bets are off if you're racing it.
__________________
Bye bye, Bumblebee!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
strych9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #26
ChadG

 
ChadG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
My Porsche called for 15k oil changes...using good old Mobil One.

I've gone to seminars about motor oil, synthetics, etc. A C5 member (Gunny, I think) did testing and proved that there was no significant degradation or contamination in the oil after 8k miles of use.

Synthetic oil will go the distance with no problem. No OEM is going to make that claim unless it's a fact. They are responsible for the warranty, after all.

All bets are off if you're racing it.
I am not doubting you, but I like the added peace of mind changing every 3k miles even with Mobil 1. These timing chains make me nervous.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #27
TooCool5
Resident Gearhead
 
TooCool5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Join Date: May 2009
Location: TAXED in CT
Posts: 4,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
My Porsche called for 15k oil changes...using good old Mobil One.

I've gone to seminars about motor oil, synthetics, etc. A C5 member (Gunny, I think) did testing and proved that there was no significant degradation or contamination in the oil after 8k miles of use.

Synthetic oil will go the distance with no problem. No OEM is going to make that claim unless it's a fact. They are responsible for the warranty, after all.

All bets are off if you're racing it.
The GM engineers changed the oil monitor from 10,000 miles max - to 5,000 miles max interval for a reason.
I expect them to know more about what is going on than any of us, as they do an analysis of field failures.
My guess is there is an oil sludge problem that causes some of the issues.
Maybe a cold spot in the motor? Who knows.
Cheap insurance to go to the shorter interval.
__________________
2010 Camaro Auto, Inferno Orange, Titanium Interior, Gearhead Wheels AIRAID CAI
TooCool5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #28
PieNsky

 
PieNsky's Avatar
 
Drives: Victory Red 1LS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Louisville,KY
Posts: 1,897
I changed my timing chains myself. The engine was clean with 120,000 miles on it. It is my belief that it is to prevent someone from driving with low oil level.
PieNsky is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.