Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

ZL1 Wheels/Tires Wheels and tires discussion for ZL1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #51
Trackman

 
Trackman's Avatar
 
Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alberta
Posts: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 ZL1 #1725 View Post
No mods on ZL1!!
Can you post some pictures?
You must have had to move the brake cable in the back?
Is Bogart making a beefed up version to drive on the street?

Last edited by Trackman; 02-13-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #52
12 ZL1 #1725

 
12 ZL1 #1725's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 Black 6M
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
Can you post some pictures?
You must have had to move the brake cable in the back?
Is Bogart making a beefed up version do drive on the street?
No... Just for car shows and the strip... I don't have tires on the rims right now... But I can try to put the rims on and try to post some pictures..... Probably tomorrow .....
__________________
Sit Back and Enjoy The Ride!!
12 ZL1 #1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #53
12 ZL1 #1725

 
12 ZL1 #1725's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 Black 6M
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRD_WRK View Post
12Zl1 1725,

Are u stock Hp/trq?
No rubbing inside the rear rims on hard launches?
Thanx
Haven't taken down track since the motor work... I'm dyno'd on a mustang Dyno at 645 rwhp/650 tq.....but Rich from Bogart said I won't have any issues... Stock I was fine...
__________________
Sit Back and Enjoy The Ride!!
12 ZL1 #1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #54
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,020
Because the ZL1 comes with wider wheels the w brake cable is in a different location than an SS. You can run a 17" Bogart without having to tie it back.


On the street driving with Bogarts, Rich is building me a one off set of 16's that will be bullet proof for the street and still light for the track. . I should have them in another week.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #55
12 ZL1 #1725

 
12 ZL1 #1725's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 Black 6M
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Because the ZL1 comes with wider wheels the w brake cable is in a different location than an SS. You can run a 17" Bogart without having to tie it back.


On the street driving with Bogarts, Rich is building me a one off set of 16's that will be bullet proof for the street and still light for the track. . I should have them in another week.
AWESOME!!!!!!
__________________
Sit Back and Enjoy The Ride!!
12 ZL1 #1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #56
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12 ZL1 #1725 View Post
AWESOME!!!!!!
I let Ted Jannetty run a spare set of 17's I had back last sept. All he had to do was bolt them on.


If you want to but a set and run them on the street you should wait until Bogart releases the new design.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #57
Trackman

 
Trackman's Avatar
 
Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alberta
Posts: 965
I don't have my F14 18X11's on yet but it sure looks like the Ebrake may be an issue. It measures 1 1/16" away from my factory 20x11 wheels. It is a very rigid set up. It will require more than just tying it back. I guess wait and see when the wheels arrive.
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #58
BeardWS6
 
BeardWS6's Avatar
 
Drives: 01 WS6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 206
I`ve been looking at the nitto`s or MT for my stock wheels and it`s almost 50/50 on what everyone has. I just wanted to run a 315 on the back for a little more width to look good!
__________________
2013 Red ZL1 Auto
705rwhp 694rwtrq-"1NASTYZ"
BeardWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:26 AM   #59
tpower
aka NO POWER
 
tpower's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 IOM #241
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Team Canada
Posts: 2,662
We tried a 17" bogarts on my ZL1 lat night , no mods required bolted right on
__________________
tpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #60
SPOOKYGUNNER
ROCK
 
SPOOKYGUNNER's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL-1 TRIPLE BLACK VERT
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: DENVER COLORADO
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
I let Ted Jannetty run a spare set of 17's I had back last sept. All he had to do was bolt them on.


If you want to but a set and run them on the street you should wait until Bogart releases the new design.

What have you heard from Bogarts on the new design? I want to get a set for drag racing along with some MT or Hoosiers. Any suggestions?
__________________
WHEN ONE AMERICAN IS NOT WORTHY TO BE FOUND...THEN WE AS AMERICANS HAVE LOST. POW/MIA YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN
SPOOKYGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #61
SPOOKYGUNNER
ROCK
 
SPOOKYGUNNER's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL-1 TRIPLE BLACK VERT
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: DENVER COLORADO
Posts: 563
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
i found some nitto extreme drags that fit the factory rim size for 330$ a piece locally. also available from jegs
PM ME WITH INFO ON WHO U PURCHASED THESE FROM
THANKS
ROCK
__________________
WHEN ONE AMERICAN IS NOT WORTHY TO BE FOUND...THEN WE AS AMERICANS HAVE LOST. POW/MIA YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN
SPOOKYGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #62
SPOOKYGUNNER
ROCK
 
SPOOKYGUNNER's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL-1 TRIPLE BLACK VERT
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: DENVER COLORADO
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane765 View Post
Use skate board wheels, they will give at least 4.56. I do not see how a tire is going to get your 3.23 to 4.56. It would have to be very small.
This formula explains what I am trying to accomplish

NEW TIRE DIAMETER DIVIDED BY OLD TIRE DIAMETER TIMES OLD AXLE RATIO
GIVES YOU THE NEW REAR END GEAR RATIO WITHOUT HAVING TO CHANGE GEARS

28÷24X 3.223=3.7468
An old tried and trued streer racers trick that would give us old "weekend warriors" better racing on Saturday/Sunday and yet still allow week day decent gas mileage
__________________
WHEN ONE AMERICAN IS NOT WORTHY TO BE FOUND...THEN WE AS AMERICANS HAVE LOST. POW/MIA YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN
SPOOKYGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #63
SPOOKYGUNNER
ROCK
 
SPOOKYGUNNER's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL-1 TRIPLE BLACK VERT
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: DENVER COLORADO
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Because the ZL1 comes with wider wheels the w brake cable is in a different location than an SS. You can run a 17" Bogart without having to tie it back.


On the street driving with Bogarts, Rich is building me a one off set of 16's that will be bullet proof for the street and still light for the track. . I should have them in another week.
WHY 16'S ? JUST CURIOUS. PM ME
THANKS
__________________
WHEN ONE AMERICAN IS NOT WORTHY TO BE FOUND...THEN WE AS AMERICANS HAVE LOST. POW/MIA YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN
SPOOKYGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:38 AM   #64
joes407


 
joes407's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: florida
Posts: 2,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOOKYGUNNER View Post
PM ME WITH INFO ON WHO U PURCHASED THESE FROM
THANKS
ROCK
purchased locally through inlign automotive. 407-790-4811 inlignauto.com
nitto 555 factory rear size $330each
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #65
thespymaster


 
thespymaster's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: G4 CLASSIFIED
Posts: 4,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Because the ZL1 comes with wider wheels the w brake cable is in a different location than an SS. You can run a 17" Bogart without having to tie it back.


On the street driving with Bogarts, Rich is building me a one off set of 16's that will be bullet proof for the street and still light for the track. . I should have them in another week.

Did you get the new wheels?
__________________
2014 C7 Stingray 3LT/Z51
2013 Camaro SS
2012 Camaro ZL1 - 850 HP
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #66
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
Did you get the new wheels?
Yes sir. A couple months ago. The lips are significantly bigger. No problem driving around on CT's shitty roads. Wheels stayed true while mounting the slicks as well which would normally take them out of round. The wheels and tires took no weight to balance.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #67
thespymaster


 
thespymaster's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: G4 CLASSIFIED
Posts: 4,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Yes sir. A couple months ago. The lips are significantly bigger. No problem driving around on CT's shitty roads. Wheels stayed true while mounting the slicks as well which would normally take them out of round. The wheels and tires took no weight to balance.
PICS??

Make a difference in the 1/4 ?


I'm undecided which way to go on the drag wheels / tires to run.



I'm not looking to break any records, just trying to avoid "oh crap" moments on my last drag strip run on street tires.

Because of the widebody , I'm running street wheel/tires 22 X 13 with 335/25/22


I need a set of wheels/tires that won't make it look "special" if you get the drift
__________________
2014 C7 Stingray 3LT/Z51
2013 Camaro SS
2012 Camaro ZL1 - 850 HP
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #68
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
PICS??

Make a difference in the 1/4 ?


I'm undecided which way to go on the drag wheels / tires to run.



I'm not looking to break any records, just trying to avoid "oh crap" moments on my last drag strip run on street tires.

Because of the widebody , I'm running street wheel/tires 22 X 13 with 335/25/22


I need a set of wheels/tires that won't make it look "special" if you get the drift

They made no difference in the 1/4 as in time wise. It went 9.812 before and 9.800 with them on. I've always been running the 16" Bogart and 28x14.50" slick. All Rich did was beef them. On the track my car is straight as an arrow. I could take my hands of the wheel if I wanted to.
Attached Images
  
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:23 PM   #69
thespymaster


 
thespymaster's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: G4 CLASSIFIED
Posts: 4,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
They made no difference in the 1/4 as in time wise. It went 9.812 before and 9.800 with them on. I've always been running the 16" Bogart and 28x14.50" slick. All Rich did was beef them. On the track my car is straight as an arrow. I could take my hands of the wheel if I wanted to.

I'm guess what I'm asking what do you recommend I go with?

As stated , running 22X13 in rear now, should I run 17/18 and do they make that width 13? or what is the closest?

I have a Canadian I have to spank at CamaroFest
__________________
2014 C7 Stingray 3LT/Z51
2013 Camaro SS
2012 Camaro ZL1 - 850 HP
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #70
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
I'm guess what I'm asking what do you recommend I go with?

As stated , running 22X13 in rear now, should I run 17/18 and do they make that width 13? or what is the closest?

I have a Canadian I have to spank at CamaroFest

If you want a slick you'll need a 17". There are no 18" slicks available. If you want a DR than either will work. A 17" being the better option.

I'm not sure if a 17" or 18" in that width would work. I think you'd be a first. Mine are 10" wide and I run a 14.50 which is really 12.50" wide. Rich will def make one for you but you'll need to ask him if it will fit. I'm sure he'd be glad to talk to you about this. That man has a passion for his business.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #71
thespymaster


 
thespymaster's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: G4 CLASSIFIED
Posts: 4,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
If you want a slick you'll need a 17". There are no 18" slicks available. If you want a DR than either will work. A 17" being the better option.

I'm not sure if a 17" or 18" in that width would work. I think you'd be a first. Mine are 10" wide and I run a 14.50 which is really 12.50" wide. Rich will def make one for you but you'll need to ask him if it will fit. I'm sure he'd be glad to talk to you about this. That man has a passion for his business.
Call me RAINMAN

But the sole purpose of drag wheels is reduced weight over normal street wheels of same size?

And I'm wanting to drive from say house to strip, so would you recommend DR's over slicks?
__________________
2014 C7 Stingray 3LT/Z51
2013 Camaro SS
2012 Camaro ZL1 - 850 HP
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #72
DrkPhx

 
DrkPhx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Michael, MN
Posts: 950
Reduced weight is only part of the reason. The purpose of a smaller diameter drag wheel is to allow for a bigger side wall so you can hit the tire harder from a more aggressive launch. This will wrinkle the tire and better absorb the weight transfer thus increasing traction which will lead to a better 60-ft and overall ET.

I wouldn't run true slicks on the street especially in a heavy car like the 5th gen. The modern DR like the Hoosier or MT Radial Pro will hook just as good if not better than a slick for most cars (mph better as well) and still allow some streetability. With that said, I just received my Nitto NT05R's (not the regular DR) and these tires are super soft and have only 6/32" of tread. I should have them installed this weekend.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #73
thespymaster


 
thespymaster's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: G4 CLASSIFIED
Posts: 4,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Reduced weight is only part of the reason. The purpose of a smaller diameter drag wheel is to allow for a bigger side wall so you can hit the tire harder from a more aggressive launch. This will wrinkle the tire and better absorb the weight transfer thus increasing traction which will lead to a better 60-ft and overall ET.

I wouldn't run true slicks on the street especially in a heavy car like the 5th gen. The modern DR like the Hoosier or MT Radial Pro will hook just as good if not better than a slick for most cars (mph better as well) and still allow some streetability. With that said, I just received my Nitto NT05R's (not the regular DR) and these tires are super soft and have only 6/32" of tread. I should have them installed this weekend.
I now plan to run DR's and now looking for a set of 18's to go with my widebody design as to not offset the car
__________________
2014 C7 Stingray 3LT/Z51
2013 Camaro SS
2012 Camaro ZL1 - 850 HP
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #74
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
Call me RAINMAN

But the sole purpose of drag wheels is reduced weight over normal street wheels of same size?

And I'm wanting to drive from say house to strip, so would you recommend DR's over slicks?
How far is the track? Why would you want to drive the car to the track? What happens when it breaks?

And you already know slicks on the street are illegal.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #75
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Reduced weight is only part of the reason. The purpose of a smaller diameter drag wheel is to allow for a bigger side wall so you can hit the tire harder from a more aggressive launch. This will wrinkle the tire and better absorb the weight transfer thus increasing traction which will lead to a better 60-ft and overall ET.

I wouldn't run true slicks on the street especially in a heavy car like the 5th gen. The modern DR like the Hoosier or MT Radial Pro will hook just as good if not better than a slick for most cars (mph better as well) and still allow some streetability. With that said, I just received my Nitto NT05R's (not the regular DR) and these tires are super soft and have only 6/32" of tread. I should have them installed this weekend.
So many very fast cars hooking and hauling on a drag radial. I really need to try a set!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.