Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
SDPC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #71
thespymaster


 
thespymaster's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: G4 CLASSIFIED
Posts: 4,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
If you want a slick you'll need a 17". There are no 18" slicks available. If you want a DR than either will work. A 17" being the better option.

I'm not sure if a 17" or 18" in that width would work. I think you'd be a first. Mine are 10" wide and I run a 14.50 which is really 12.50" wide. Rich will def make one for you but you'll need to ask him if it will fit. I'm sure he'd be glad to talk to you about this. That man has a passion for his business.
Call me RAINMAN

But the sole purpose of drag wheels is reduced weight over normal street wheels of same size?

And I'm wanting to drive from say house to strip, so would you recommend DR's over slicks?
__________________
2014 C7 Stingray 3LT/Z51
2013 Camaro SS
2012 Camaro ZL1 - 850 HP
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:13 PM   #72
DrkPhx

 
DrkPhx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Michael, MN
Posts: 1,633
Reduced weight is only part of the reason. The purpose of a smaller diameter drag wheel is to allow for a bigger side wall so you can hit the tire harder from a more aggressive launch. This will wrinkle the tire and better absorb the weight transfer thus increasing traction which will lead to a better 60-ft and overall ET.

I wouldn't run true slicks on the street especially in a heavy car like the 5th gen. The modern DR like the Hoosier or MT Radial Pro will hook just as good if not better than a slick for most cars (mph better as well) and still allow some streetability. With that said, I just received my Nitto NT05R's (not the regular DR) and these tires are super soft and have only 6/32" of tread. I should have them installed this weekend.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #73
thespymaster


 
thespymaster's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: G4 CLASSIFIED
Posts: 4,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Reduced weight is only part of the reason. The purpose of a smaller diameter drag wheel is to allow for a bigger side wall so you can hit the tire harder from a more aggressive launch. This will wrinkle the tire and better absorb the weight transfer thus increasing traction which will lead to a better 60-ft and overall ET.

I wouldn't run true slicks on the street especially in a heavy car like the 5th gen. The modern DR like the Hoosier or MT Radial Pro will hook just as good if not better than a slick for most cars (mph better as well) and still allow some streetability. With that said, I just received my Nitto NT05R's (not the regular DR) and these tires are super soft and have only 6/32" of tread. I should have them installed this weekend.
I now plan to run DR's and now looking for a set of 18's to go with my widebody design as to not offset the car
__________________
2014 C7 Stingray 3LT/Z51
2013 Camaro SS
2012 Camaro ZL1 - 850 HP
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #74
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
Call me RAINMAN

But the sole purpose of drag wheels is reduced weight over normal street wheels of same size?

And I'm wanting to drive from say house to strip, so would you recommend DR's over slicks?
How far is the track? Why would you want to drive the car to the track? What happens when it breaks?

And you already know slicks on the street are illegal.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #75
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
Reduced weight is only part of the reason. The purpose of a smaller diameter drag wheel is to allow for a bigger side wall so you can hit the tire harder from a more aggressive launch. This will wrinkle the tire and better absorb the weight transfer thus increasing traction which will lead to a better 60-ft and overall ET.

I wouldn't run true slicks on the street especially in a heavy car like the 5th gen. The modern DR like the Hoosier or MT Radial Pro will hook just as good if not better than a slick for most cars (mph better as well) and still allow some streetability. With that said, I just received my Nitto NT05R's (not the regular DR) and these tires are super soft and have only 6/32" of tread. I should have them installed this weekend.
So many very fast cars hooking and hauling on a drag radial. I really need to try a set!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #76
thespymaster


 
thespymaster's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: G4 CLASSIFIED
Posts: 4,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
How far is the track? Why would you want to drive the car to the track? What happens when it breaks?

And you already know slicks on the street are illegal.

Thats why I wrote, going with DR's...............

When Firebird re-opens (rumor on the street) it's just a short drive from the house vs having to trailer it, etc..

I never had this much HP before, and I used to run my last 650 HP Camaro all the time on street tires/wheels (22's) and often got 2nd place, the old "run what your brought mentality"
__________________
2014 C7 Stingray 3LT/Z51
2013 Camaro SS
2012 Camaro ZL1 - 850 HP
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #77
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
Thats why I wrote, going with DR's...............

When Firebird re-opens (rumor on the street) it's just a short drive from the house vs having to trailer it, etc..

I never had this much HP before, and I used to run my last 650 HP Camaro all the time on street tires/wheels (22's) and often got 2nd place, the old "run what your brought mentality"
Gotcha. No doubt it would be easier to just get in the car and go race but Id be nervous about breaking. You already have the truck I'm assuming you have to have a car trailer so if the track is that close you'd could easily go get it.

Our tracks are far so that option isn't really a possibility.

I'd still look into a 17" though. Better performance than the 18. Plus a wider selection of drag radials.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:21 PM   #78
GQ4Life


 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fishkill, NY
Posts: 5,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Gotcha. No doubt it would be easier to just get in the car and go race but Id be nervous about breaking. You already have the truck I'm assuming you have to have a car trailer so if the track is that close you'd could easily go get it.

Our tracks are far so that option isn't really a possibility.

I'd still look into a 17" though. Better performance than the 18. Plus a wider selection of drag radials.
maybe his plans is same as mine.. oh **** blew the gears..
hey Jaime u got room on that trailer
__________________
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #79
Medi0cr3
Untamed Performance EPT
 
Medi0cr3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: El Paso
Posts: 374
Don't see why not, stock is 20xx11 20x10
__________________
Night Fury Cam
Borla LT Headers and Borla Cat Back ATAK
9in. diff with 4.11's, DSS Axles, and Alum Shaft
Hurst Short-Shifter; Ideal Garage Master Cylinder
H-E Street Slayer Twin Billet Clutch
BMR: Adjustable; Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Extreme Sway Bar. BMR Subframe Bushings.
Strange Rear Coilovers and mounts
Tuned by Rhino79


Medi0cr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #80
SPOOKYGUNNER
ROCK
 
SPOOKYGUNNER's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL-1 TRIPLE BLACK VERT
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: DENVER COLORADO
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylane765 View Post
Use skate board wheels, they will give at least 4.56. I do not see how a tire is going to get your 3.23 to 4.56. It would have to be very small.

TRUE MORE LIKE 3.73 IF I A LUCKY
__________________
WHEN ONE AMERICAN IS NOT WORTHY TO BE FOUND...THEN WE AS AMERICANS HAVE LOST. POW/MIA YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN
SPOOKYGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #81
Blown355
 
Blown355's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 735
Just upgraded to MT 305/35/20's on the stock wheels. All i can say is they are crazy sticky! With the stock tires, first and second was useless. Now, I can't get the tires to spin. All I can manage is a chirp here and there. And this at 30 psi. Can hardly wait to see what they do at 22 psi on a prep'ed track.
__________________
2012 ZL1
10 spoke
M6
ECF
Blown355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #82
GQ4Life


 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fishkill, NY
Posts: 5,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown355 View Post
Just upgraded to MT 305/35/20's on the stock wheels. All i can say is they are crazy sticky! With the stock tires, first and second was useless. Now, I can't get the tires to spin. All I can manage is a chirp here and there. And this at 30 psi. Can hardly wait to see what they do at 22 psi on a prep'ed track.
Sounds like an excuse for more power
__________________
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #83
SPOOKYGUNNER
ROCK
 
SPOOKYGUNNER's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL-1 TRIPLE BLACK VERT
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: DENVER COLORADO
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 Spoked View Post
Thanks for the information, looking at the 17s right now.

HAVE BEEN TOLD CHANGING TO 17 OR 18 WILL PLAY HELL WITH THE ABS AND THROW CODES.
I'VE BEEN ADVISED TO STICK WITH 20" RIMS. ANY PROS/CONS
__________________
WHEN ONE AMERICAN IS NOT WORTHY TO BE FOUND...THEN WE AS AMERICANS HAVE LOST. POW/MIA YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN
SPOOKYGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #84
SPOOKYGUNNER
ROCK
 
SPOOKYGUNNER's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL-1 TRIPLE BLACK VERT
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: DENVER COLORADO
Posts: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
I have no doubt the 20" M/T will hook great. If the ZL1 wheels were easier to find or if a manufacturer made a replica, I would run the 20". The 18" grand sport replica is the best looking replica wheel for the ZL1 I have seen so far. I settled for the Z06 replica and they are fine.

DID YOU GET ANY CODES WHEN YOU WENT TO 18"?
PM ME AND LET ME KNOW...THANKS
__________________
WHEN ONE AMERICAN IS NOT WORTHY TO BE FOUND...THEN WE AS AMERICANS HAVE LOST. POW/MIA YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN
SPOOKYGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.