Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #43
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0617 View Post
Ooh I'm not saying you are making anything up. By saying hard to believe I mean it seems either some sensor or something isn't reading right, or IAT's on top mounts aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

One other thing with my IAT's is that I haven't made it to a track yet, so all my readings are on a wot pass immediately after decelerating on the street. The more reading I do I'm finding that decelerating seriously increases IAT's and heat soak.

Not sure yet if the OP and I need to change anything yet, or not.
At 8 psi the Maggie isn't that bad. Double that psi and you can start boiling water on it!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #44
2SSCAMARO

 
2SSCAMARO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fl
Posts: 1,161
For sure...even on the street if you are logging you will see an instantaneous increase in IAT when you lift even slightly on the accelerator pedal. You can see on both logs at the beginning of the launch when the intake air velocity increases and the car starts to move in first gear, the iat starts to drop until the heat from the compressed blower air overcomes the initial effect of increased ambient air flow. Following the lift at the traps, the iats will continue to climb but only for a second or two and then the iat immediately starts dropping again as seen in the logs.
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #45
2SSCAMARO

 
2SSCAMARO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fl
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
At 8 psi the Maggie isn't that bad. Double that psi and you can start boiling water on it!
That's why I stay where I'm at. I don't drink instant coffee and I don't have a roll bar.
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #46
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
That's why I stay where I'm at. I don't drink instant coffee and I don't have a roll bar.
Roll bars make it more fun!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #47
dan0617
 
dan0617's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tyrone, PA
Posts: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
For sure...even on the street if you are logging you will see an instantaneous increase in IAT when you lift even slightly on the accelerator pedal. You can see on both logs at the beginning of the launch when the intake air velocity increases and the car starts to move in first gear, the iat starts to drop until the heat from the compressed blower air overcomes the initial effect of increased ambient air flow. Following the lift at the traps, the iats will continue to climb but only for a second or two and then the iat immediately starts dropping again as seen in the logs.
All my logging has been on the street immediately after driving around. I drive down the highway 2 miles, quickly slow down to about 15 mph, then roll it to the floor and hold it there till about 125 mph.


I also am running 12psi with only 1 Vortech race bypass. I ordered another one and a flange today. Ted suggested running 2 of them over 8 psi. Might help some with the heat soak from high IAT decel. Ill also try a run starting without a drive around and hard decel first.

I don't think want meth as I already spray a 100 shot wet. That cools the IAT I'm sure, but I want them to be pretty low off the spray.
__________________
2011 SS IOM Vert. ECS Vortech 14 psi, Water/Meth, Wideband with Firewire to SCT, 2800 stall, LT headers, Drag radials, Drag alignment, Cradle Bushings. Details in Garage. I hack it up, Ted tunes it in.
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #48
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0617 View Post
All my logging has been on the street immediately after driving around. I drive down the highway 2 miles, quickly slow down to about 15 mph, then roll it to the floor and hold it there till about 125 mph.


I also am running 12psi with only 1 Vortech race bypass. I ordered another one and a flange today. Ted suggested running 2 of them over 8 psi. Might help some with the heat soak from high IAT decel. Ill also try a run starting without a drive around and hard decel first.

I don't think want meth as I already spray a 100 shot wet. That cools the IAT I'm sure, but I want them to be pretty low off the spray.

My little 55 dry shot had absolutely no effect on cooling the intake temps. Now, I'm not sure where my log reading is being taken from. I spray post maf so if the maf is giving the reading its obviously not picking up the nitrous.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #49
2SSCAMARO

 
2SSCAMARO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fl
Posts: 1,161
In wanting to not be misleading in what I've said and posted, I also want to say the following. I very seldom race in the Florida heat. I usually only race in the cooler temps in our winter months... usually ambients in the 60's degrees. I did race a couple of weeks ago at the Modern Muscle Car event when the temps were in the low eightys and long staging lines. I was trapping about 133* iats that day. Another influencing factor, and I'll say upfront that I am not going to get into any pissing contest regarding whether this is a good or bad thing, but I do run a 160* stat. My ECT at launch are usually about 190*. Those two factors do of course have an affect on the IAT's.
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #50
2SSCAMARO

 
2SSCAMARO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fl
Posts: 1,161
I hear that the EPA has changed their theory on the polar ice caps melting. They have recently discovered that the glaciers have not been melting per se, someone has been taking the ice and putting it in a huge ice chest and doing something to cause it to rapidly melt, then disposes the water.
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #51
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
I hear that the EPA has changed their theory on the polar ice caps melting. They have recently discovered that the glaciers have not been melting per se, someone has been taking the ice and putting it in a huge ice chest and doing something to cause it to rapidly melt, then disposes the water.
Yeah but those 60 degree starting temps are just to hard to give up. No heat soak for this guy!!

But on a full day Ill use 200 lbs of ice. I've never actually thought about that. Quite a bit.

If anyone in the tri state area needs the cheapest place to buy ice Ill be able to point them in the right direction!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #52
dan0617
 
dan0617's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tyrone, PA
Posts: 632
Everyone in the stands at your track prolly have to drink warm beer since you use up all the ice in the county.
__________________
2011 SS IOM Vert. ECS Vortech 14 psi, Water/Meth, Wideband with Firewire to SCT, 2800 stall, LT headers, Drag radials, Drag alignment, Cradle Bushings. Details in Garage. I hack it up, Ted tunes it in.
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #53
2SSCAMARO

 
2SSCAMARO's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Fl
Posts: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan0617 View Post
Ooh I'm not saying you are making anything up. By saying hard to believe I mean it seems either some sensor or something isn't reading right, or IAT's on top mounts aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

One other thing with my IAT's is that I haven't made it to a track yet, so all my readings are on a wot pass immediately after decelerating on the street. The more reading I do I'm finding that decelerating seriously increases IAT's and heat soak.

Not sure yet if the OP and I need to change anything yet, or not.
For the purpose of discussion, let's say the iat sensor isn't reading right BUT what about the other data? The spark advance is steady as a rock at 17.5 degrees advance throughout the run except obviously at the shift points and with ZERO KR. This was May 5th when the outside air was 83* and was fueled with 93 octane E90, no meth, no nitrous, no chiller. My knock sensors are not desensitized either.
Attached Images
 
2SSCAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #54
dan0617
 
dan0617's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange SS Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tyrone, PA
Posts: 632
Awesome! Rules out that.
__________________
2011 SS IOM Vert. ECS Vortech 14 psi, Water/Meth, Wideband with Firewire to SCT, 2800 stall, LT headers, Drag radials, Drag alignment, Cradle Bushings. Details in Garage. I hack it up, Ted tunes it in.
dan0617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #55
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 11,962
Ill have to check my logs tomorrow and see what the iats look like. I delete all the old ones so currently I have no data to enter into the ring.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #56
realcanuk
 
realcanuk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Corvette C6 983 RWHP
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSCAMARO View Post
For the purpose of discussion, let's say the iat sensor isn't reading right BUT what about the other data? The spark advance is steady as a rock at 17.5 degrees advance throughout the run except obviously at the shift points and with ZERO KR. This was May 5th when the outside air was 83* and was fueled with 93 octane E90, no meth, no nitrous, no chiller. My knock sensors are not desensitized either.

Whats interesting here is that you are pulling no timing out at 140 degrees. I dont know the details of your build but most tuners do pull at least a little by that temp.
__________________
2007 C6 vert, auto, F55, LT3
LME LS402 , WCCH 245 Heads, Pat G. Custom cam
YSI / 3.0 pulley, ARH 1 7/8 headers, NPP
Dewitts / dual spals, A&A dual pump fuel system.
3.42 polished gears, hardened shafts, Alky control meth, Cartech line lock, ECS axle loops, Trans brace, 6L80 built by me.
ID 1000 injectors, comp rockers, Morel lifters, BT springs, Trend 3/8 pushrods, ATI 10% OD Damper
Circle D Triple Disc stall
1009 RWHP @ 7000, 817 RWTQ @ 6000, Built & Tuned by Seth at FEDERAL PERFORMANCE
realcanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.