Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Nickey Chicago
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
terry_b

Drives: 2010 Synergy Special Edition
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
ZL1 / SS suspension take-offs for my 2010 V6

I'd like to upgrade the "soft" suspension on my V6 with something a bit firmer but still very comfortable... also cheap.

Aftermarket all looks very nice, but to be honest, most of it falls out of the price range I'm willing to spend.

From what I have read, it would need to be 2012/2013 SS or ZL1 to be worth it, correct?

Also, what all *should* I replace? I understand it might be less desirable to use the ZL1 springs on my V6 struts? I'm at 40k miles so would it be worth it to replace struts too (they're a bit pricey)? Or would I be better off with SS springs? A small drop and a bit firmer would be ideal.

I guess front/rear sways (rear ZL1 would require control arms?), springs (SS or ZL1?) links maybe, and lower rear control arms is what I would need?

If anybody else has done a full swap let me know please how it worked out and any part numbers required.

I realize this may have been discussed, rest assured I have used but have not found a concise and complete answer to my questions.

Thanks to any who can help.

Also... anybody who may have 2012/2013 SS or ZL1 take-offs lying around, I would love to take them off your hands. I'm willing to drive a reasonable distance to get them, I live in eastern CT.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
yzark99

Drives: 2012 Silver Ice 1LT
ZL1 sway bar/bushings/clamps GM #22842517
Driver's side end link GM #22842516
Passenger's side end link GM #22842515

Make sure that GM put the correct end links in the boxes BEFORE you have them drill your struts, or you may be waiting a while for the correct part like I am.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS 1LE
One thing to keep in mind when I installed our 1LE struts and springs I didnt get any drop it actually lifted ours about 1\2in in the front not sure why but it did

Wichita Region SCCA Autocross
#23 FS
http://www.wichitascca.org/SoloII.html
ICTsccaCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #4
LIM3
it's mind bottling..

Drives: I drive the green one
make sure that the 2013 pieces fit your 2010. i know i tried to use my friends suspension and it didnt all work. i have a 2011 and he had a 2012 ss
Old 05-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #5
harrycamaro

Drives: 2010 camaro lt w/ chrome 20's
I installed SS springs on my v6. The rear was lowered some, the front had no noticeable change.
harrycamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #6
terry_b

Is there an appreciable gain to installing SS springs? Would really like to get rid of the ugly fender gap as well...

I'm pricing front SS sway w/links and rear ZL1 sway w/ lower control arms and links, etc. Looking like $250 + shipping. Is this worth it or should I just go with aftermarket for a bit more... Vendors feel free to chime in w/ some deals

And what is this about drilling my struts?
Old 05-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Im in our ZL1 front and rear sways with links right at $300 but we are a 2012 so we already had the new style arms on the rear.
Gain wise tho the 2 things that I noticed most was the zl1 sways and our alignment, I wished I would have aligned the car the day after we bought it, huge diffrence but we are also doing more that an average sunday driver with ours so we can see the gains alot diffrently than a normal driver would

#23 FS
Old 05-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #8
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
Is there an appreciable gain to installing SS springs? Would really like to get rid of the ugly fender gap as well...

I'm pricing front SS sway w/links and rear ZL1 sway w/ lower control arms and links, etc. Looking like $250 + shipping. Is this worth it or should I just go with aftermarket for a bit more... Vendors feel free to chime in w/ some deals

And what is this about drilling my struts?
The sways won't work they'll rub on the v6 brakes. The only ZL1 sway option you have if you have v6 brakes is the pedders one

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #9
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
The sways won't work they'll rub on the v6 brakes. The only ZL1 sway option you have if you have v6 brakes is the pedders one
We ran zl1 bars with our v6 brakes with no issue this is one of the largest sway bar missinformations on the forums, we daily drove and autocrossed many times with no issue, before we brembo swapped

#23 FS
Old 05-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
lscamaro

The stock ZL1 sways?

I've personally talked to two members who have had their ZL1 sways rub and had to sell them as well as a local member who got them for his v6, had them rub and had to buy brembos. I also pm'd pfadt and they said their aftermarket ones won't work either because they will rub too.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Yes stock GM ZL1 rear sway ordered from dealership fit and cleared fine, not sure what the other guys were doing wrong but ours cleared just fine.

#23 FS
Old 05-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
lscamaro

That's interesting to hear. Did you do anything different. Have a buddy with a ZL1 that is thinking about doing aftermarket sways. If he does it, he said he'll just give me the stock ones. Might try to see if I can get them to work too but that is what I've personally heard and seen.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #13
JDP Tyler

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry_b View Post
I'd like to upgrade the "soft" suspension on my V6 with something a bit firmer but still very comfortable... also cheap.

Aftermarket all looks very nice, but to be honest, most of it falls out of the price range I'm willing to spend.

From what I have read, it would need to be 2012/2013 SS or ZL1 to be worth it, correct?

Also, what all *should* I replace? I understand it might be less desirable to use the ZL1 springs on my V6 struts? I'm at 40k miles so would it be worth it to replace struts too (they're a bit pricey)? Or would I be better off with SS springs? A small drop and a bit firmer would be ideal.

I guess front/rear sways (rear ZL1 would require control arms?), springs (SS or ZL1?) links maybe, and lower rear control arms is what I would need?
You are correct, you would need the 2012+ rear LCA's with the outboard end link mounting locations to accommodate a Z style bar. Other than that, all you would need are the bars and end links (they come with mounts and brackets). AFAIK The ZL1 bar will not work on the V6, but there seems to be others who have done it. I would wait for picture confirmation before purchasing.

As for the springs, I would recommend going aftermarket. There is not much gain to be had with the springs unless you are getting for next to nothing. I would recommend the Hotchkis springs. They are very affordable and ride great! Also I would recommend some SS struts, or better yet those from a 1LE.

Please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
One thing to keep in mind when I installed our 1LE struts and springs I didnt get any drop it actually lifted ours about 1\2in in the front not sure why but it did
That is because the V6 weighs less than the V8. Same reason the convertibles will drop a little more in the rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
Yes stock GM ZL1 rear sway ordered from dealership fit and cleared fine, not sure what the other guys were doing wrong but ours cleared just fine.
Very interesting. I was also under the impression that they would not work on the V6. We haven't attempted it personally. Do you happen to have any pics?

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Click HERE to send me a PM | Sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 888.308.6007
JDP Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
terry_b

Wow, this forum does not disappoint. Lots of good info, thanks again
Old 05-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #15
yzark99

Drives: 2012 Silver Ice 1LT
V6 struts have 10mm holes for the end link studs, but the ZL1 end links use 12mm studs and the holes must be drilled out larger. The ZL1 front sway bar goes on a V6 without any problems, but the ZL1 rear bar will hit the brakes as they age (the calipers move in towards the car as the pads wear down).

Pedders rear z bar is around $450 alone, vs $150 for the entire front OEM ZL1 sway bar assembly.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #16
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Yes you need to drill out fe2 and fe3 front strut tabs to take the larger zl1 1le end links, not sure if I still have any pictures of the rear set up but I thought I had posted some in my old thread when I was installing them ill try to find them
*edit nope never took unstalled pictures

#23 FS

Last edited by ICTsccaCamaro; 05-20-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Tags
suspension