Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2013, 07:13 AM   #2651
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmaro View Post
I ended up making it myself to see if I could, and because I'm cheap.
Nothing wrong with that. I should probably start trying the DIY route, definitely would be cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmaro View Post
Some imperfections, but nothing major. I went the hand polished route and I need to go back over with a PC when I get one.

Attachment 511086
Looks damn near perfect to me
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #2652
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,680
Got my rotors and pads installed this morning at T&T Performance.

Ugly stock rotor


Shiny Racing Brake rotor




I also got to ditch the roller skates when we installed the Hawk pads, so that was a nice bonus.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:53 AM   #2653
Bad@ssCamaro
Ist State Chevy Supporter
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 5,090
Looks good Looking forward to hearing about your impression of them performance-wise.Did you add the SS brake lines too?
__________________
Former Camaros: (gone but not forgotten)
1976 LT Black/Black 305 V8 (Bone Stock)
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Current Camaro:
CRT 1SS/1LE/RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #2654
Pharmaro
 
Pharmaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Louisville
Posts: 357
Looks like he did in that last pic. Aesthetically, those rotors look awesome! Curious as to your opinion regarding the rotors performance too. I ended up getting DBa's myself.
Pharmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #2655
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Looks good Looking forward to hearing about your impression of them performance-wise.Did you add the SS brake lines too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmaro View Post
Looks like he did in that last pic. Aesthetically, those rotors look awesome! Curious as to your opinion regarding the rotors performance too. I ended up getting DBa's myself.
Yep, the Goodridge ones - funny enough though, I was missing a copper washer from the kit. Another member had the same problem like a week ago and everybody kept telling him he must have lost it. It worked out though, Tim had a bunch lying around so it didn't really delay anything.

The rotors are freaking awesome - though I do wish I had used them with the stock pads (that way I could see what an improvement just the rotors were), but I'm glad I did it all at once. I don't think I ever realized how "squishy" the stock rubber brake lines were until now. I can stomp on the brakes and it's just constant pressure all the way down.

Kaylee can literally stop on a dime now. I've noticed that I'm starting to play "chicken" with red lights - seeing how long I can wait before I need to hit the brakes and still stop before the line. It's a lot of fun. I need to find a HPDE near me so I can really enjoy these things.

Luckily I live kind of out in the boonies, so I get to enjoy windy backroads on my way to/from work every day. You wouldn't think that changing out rotors would improve handling - but it does. Which makes sense when you think about how much weight these rotors save over the stock ones. It's like Kaylee's a whole new car.

Honestly, you couldn't pay me to go back to the stock rotors now.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #2656
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

 
Ivan @ Southwest Speed's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '96 Z28
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Rio Rancho, NM
Posts: 11,705
All that work bro and you didn't bother to at least wipe off that poor Brake caliper?>! LOL

Love the new rotors bro. Looks good!
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:54 AM   #2657
Bad@ssCamaro
Ist State Chevy Supporter
 
Bad@ssCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Western MA
Posts: 5,090
So you went with the Goodridge SS brake lines instead of Pedders? LOL, I can guess why. I'm not too surprised at how well the rotors and the new pads would react. I'm sure you're stopping somewhere's about 5 -10 feet shorter with them from 60 -0, and more from higher speeds. I'd be curious as to how much less the brake dust will build up on the wheels, keep us posted on that.
__________________
Former Camaros: (gone but not forgotten)
1976 LT Black/Black 305 V8 (Bone Stock)
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Current Camaro:
CRT 1SS/1LE/RS/Recaro's/NPP/Nav/Rear vision pkg./BA speaker upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #2658
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
All that work bro and you didn't bother to at least wipe off that poor Brake caliper?>! LOL

Love the new rotors bro. Looks good!
Ivan
They got wiped after the picture was taken - not to worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
So you went with the Goodridge SS brake lines instead of Pedders? LOL, I can guess why. I'm not too surprised at how well the rotors and the new pads would react. I'm sure you're stopping somewhere's about 5 -10 feet shorter with them from 60 -0, and more from higher speeds. I'd be curious as to how much less the brake dust will build up on the wheels, keep us posted on that.
Yeeaaa - as much as I love having Pedders red under the car, Goodridge lines were like half the cost.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #2659
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]
 
vroomapunk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana
Posts: 5,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmaro View Post
Some imperfections, but nothing major. I went the hand polished route and I need to go back over with a PC when I get one.

Attachment 511086
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Got my rotors and pads installed this morning at T&T Performance.

Ugly stock rotor


Shiny Racing Brake rotor


I also got to ditch the roller skates when we installed the Hawk pads, so that was a nice bonus.

Nice! I want all of this lol
__________________
vroomapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #2660
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,680
So made a few more "Nathan" related purchases - why do I keep going back to his thread I'll never know.

First is an Evap solenoid relocation kit from PCM of NC. Though I may/will probably relocate the solenoid via Nathan's method in his Cleaning Up the Clutter in our Engine Bay thread. Don't know why I bothered to type out what Nathan's thread was - pretty sure everyone knows which one I'm talking about when I say "his thread."

Here's how Nathan did it: LINK

Another option that a member did was this one: LINK It's a little more involved, but it definitely does hide the solenoid


Anyway - reason I was willing to pay for the relocation kit was because it saved me having to extend the wiring harness(es), etc. Though I am hoping I can still use my TechAFX braided stainless steel line :/ - if not it'll be going to the marketplace (or just pay it forward).




I've also been working with Tracy at RX Performance about replacing my oil breather for a 1LE oil breather. Tracy was kind enough to let me in on a new item they're starting to offer - 1LE style clean side separators.




I also have a bunch of parts coming from Alan at G3 Composites. Can't wait to get those installed, not going to lie.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #2661
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,680
Finally got my BLACK EDITION door projectors installed. 3rd Gen honestly couldn't have written better instructions. Took about an hour and a half once I figured out what tools worked best for cutting the door panel.

Here are some pics from during the install.





Pic looking up at the projector - and the reason the text is backwards is because when it gets projected onto the ground it's reads the right way.


I'll get a good picture of the projector in action once it gets dark, no worries.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #2662
pierre777
HT5 COTW 9/3/2012
 
pierre777's Avatar
 
Drives: Cyber Bullet
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: lebanon
Posts: 4,571
Send a message via Skype™ to pierre777
Wow looks great , can you post some more pics how it looks on the ground at night ?
__________________
pierre777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #2663
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre777 View Post
Wow looks great , can you post some more pics how it looks on the ground at night ?
Yea of course, just have to wait for the sun to go down.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #2664
sjmautoprod


 
sjmautoprod's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 1LT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 1,876
Wow. That's the invasive version. Why did you choose that over the normal ones?
__________________

sjmap.us • info@sjmap.us • Google+ • Facebook • IRC Chat
Online ordering now available!
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:37 PM   #2665
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmautoprod View Post
Wow. That's the invasive version. Why did you choose that over the normal ones?
When you say the "normal ones" - do you mean the GoBo light ones?
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #2666
sjmautoprod


 
sjmautoprod's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 1LT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 1,876
Technically, that's a gobo, too. I mean the small, round ones.
__________________

sjmap.us • info@sjmap.us • Google+ • Facebook • IRC Chat
Online ordering now available!
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #2667
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmautoprod View Post
Technically, that's a gobo, too. I mean the small, round ones.
Haha damn technicalities - and because I wanted something different (well I mean I kind of copied Mindz, but his say "Blue Rush")

And it's basically the same install as the circular GoBo ones - just because it's a rectangle and not a circle the whole cutting aspect was a bit more difficult.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #2668
sjmautoprod


 
sjmautoprod's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 1LT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 1,876
Yup. The round ones come with a hole saw, so, that makes it a bit better... when it's the right size. I have been evaluating suppliers and received a set with the wrong size saw.

Where did you connect them?

Based on the schematics, I have not found a switched circuit in the doors beyond the ABL, if equipped for that. The standard gobo's draw a good amount of power (5-7W), and, I'm not comfortable telling people to hang that on the ABL circuit without knowing the details on that BCM output.
__________________

sjmap.us • info@sjmap.us • Google+ • Facebook • IRC Chat
Online ordering now available!
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:14 PM   #2669
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmautoprod View Post
Yup. The round ones come with a hole saw, so, that makes it a bit better... when it's the right size. I have been evaluating suppliers and received a set with the wrong size saw.

Where did you connect them?

Based on the schematics, I have not found a switched circuit in the doors beyond the ABL, if equipped for that. The standard gobo's draw a good amount of power (5-7W), and, I'm not comfortable telling people to hang that on the ABL circuit without knowing the details on that BCM output.
Yea - that's the one downside of these. The cutting isn't as simple as using a circular bit.

The Gobo's really use 5 watts? Wow. I know mine use an LED, so they shouldn't have that much of a draw on the circuit. Hopefully anyway.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #2670
sjmautoprod


 
sjmautoprod's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 1LT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 1,876
Yup, the mass-produced ones use high-powered, Cree LED's.
__________________

sjmap.us • info@sjmap.us • Google+ • Facebook • IRC Chat
Online ordering now available!
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #2671
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,680


__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #2672
Mindz
E.B.A.H.
 
Mindz's Avatar
 
Drives: you wild...
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Posts: 18,230
Mine have been hooked up to the abl circuit for 3 years. No issues whatsoever. the abl still runs strong.
__________________
Blue Rush, 2010 SS [Car of the Week 3/22/2010] Traded in on...ZLZBUBB, 2013 ZL1
Mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #2673
sjmautoprod


 
sjmautoprod's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 1LT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 1,876
Sure, yours is not using high-powered (5-7W) LED's.
__________________

sjmap.us • info@sjmap.us • Google+ • Facebook • IRC Chat
Online ordering now available!
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:21 AM   #2674
Kartashian
SoCal HT5
 
Kartashian's Avatar
 
Drives: The Punisher
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Lebanon
Posts: 625
AWESOME
__________________
Kartashian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #2675
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 24,540
I like it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
aac, advanced automotive concepts, ashen gray metallic, bad@sszl1, black chrome, boom, build thread, carbon fiber, cotw, fireball, gen5diy, kaylee, pedders, phantom black metallic, sad, the stig, this guy needs a lithograph, zl1

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OK...I'm starting a better V6 exhaust examples thread!! KMPrenger Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 561 10-18-2014 07:12 PM
Zabo's '00 T/A Build Thread CamaroSpike23 4th Generation Camaros 514 07-05-2013 11:26 AM
3rd Gen Camaro Street Stock build thread (dialup beware) zlathim 3rd Generation Camaros 7 02-19-2013 11:04 PM
Official AustinJames "Oh My Bad" Camaro Thread [COTW 1/2/12] austinjames Member Car Journals 201 01-04-2013 01:19 AM
Motorgen LA Invasion Videos (58) and Pics Thread SeanPlunk USA - California 5 05-31-2009 01:23 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.