Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 AM   #26
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpleror View Post
Ok, so I've been searching through this forum for a while now and decided to join so I could make a thread for a topic I haven't seen before; how the Camaro actually handles compared to other performance cars. I see a lot of discussion about HP and such (mainly compared to the mustang), but how does it actually drive; suspension, steering wheel stiffness, etc.? I'm looking into getting a Camaro pretty soon and the reason I ask is because I'm currently driving a 2005 Nissan 350Z and I LOVE the way it drives. The car hugs the road, and the steering wheel is VERY stiff. And, of course, it's got a lot power. So I'm curious as to how the Z would compare to an LS Camaro (which is what I'm looking into). I know the Camaro has about 50 more HP than the Z, but it's also like 600 lbs heavier, so I'm sure that translates into a decrease in performance right there. I'm expecting lower performance with this switch (which I'm ok with because I love the Camaro), I just want an idea of how big a difference there is in the performance of the two cars. I know the only way to really tell would be to actually drive a Camaro, but until then I figured this would be a good start. Thanks guys!

The camaro LS is a great starting point, don't listen to people saying you will be disappointed with the LS, cause it will be cheap enough that you will be able to afford suspension mods if you want., Drop springs, sway bars, and rs wheels should run you about 1500 bucs.
I say go for it, 23k for a camaro is a steal.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #27
captaincog

Drives: 2013 1LS V6/6 spd;1971 350RS/SS 4sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
The camaro LS is a great starting point, don't listen to people saying you will be disappointed with the LS, cause it will be cheap enough that you will be able to afford suspension mods if you want., Drop springs, sway bars, and rs wheels should run you about 1500 bucs.
I say go for it, 23k for a camaro is a steal.
I agree. I have a friend that had a 350z and while he had fun with it I could beat him on the 1/4 mile track all the time. My 1LS is fun and smile generating fast and handles pretty well. It is a big car but it still feels somewhat toss able. The steering is very neutral and gives good feedback. The ride is much better than many other cars due to the weight but in a good way. Test drive one and decide for yourself and decide.
1971 RS/SS 350 4 speed Teal Green
captaincog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:34 AM   #28
mikeSS

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Track times DO NOT ALWAYS do a car justice!!! also some tracks will make some cars look better than they are. due to to many straights. Its common sense.

persoanlly, i disliked my camaro`s handling. my new e92 m3....well feels about 4 times better.. but its 2 times the cost....heehehe
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:42 AM   #29
Doraemon

Drives: 2011 IBM 2LT/RS
When I first got my Camaro, I was surprised how heavy it felt driving it. As someone said, it's more of a power car than a nimble car. Add in the low 360 visibility, it's not that easy weaving in traffic either. I tried to do a quick 90deg left turn in a drizzle once and totally spun out in front of everyone. Gotta say, I was surprised by that.

But nothing beats the feel, look and sound of a Camaro accelerating.
Doraemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #30
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
a little credit here ...a boat ...come on wheres the love
It's a pretty accurate statement. Just because I own a Camaro doesn't mean I have to ignore its flaws...

We are strictly talking the V6 and SS which with out mods or the 1LE package do feel like boats...
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #31
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Anytime you point your car into a tight turns and it goes where you point it even with the tail going sideways is a good handling car. The Camaro accomplishes that.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #32
fielderLS3

Drives: 02 Alero, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpleror View Post
The steering is actually my exact concern. I've gotten so used to the stiffness of my steering wheel that when I'm driving anything else the wheel feels awkward to me now.

I don't know much about the Alpha-platform, but if that's the case then it's something I'll have to consider.
I know what you mean. In addition to my cars, I also drive family and some friends cars whenever we go anywhere, so I've been in-between a lot of different cars, ranging from a very raw, stiff 1st gen Miata (Other than low power, that's my favorite car in many ways), to very soft and numb sedans, CUVs, and eco-cars.

Again, the actual handling limits of the Camaro are pretty good, but when I test drove them back around 2010-2011, I was disappointed with the light steering and lack of feedback, which was the main reason I ended up not buying one despite being obsessed with getting one for the two years prior.

There aren't a whole lot of details on the Alpha-Camaro yet...Reason I brought it up was I got to take a brief drive in a Cadillac ATS recently, which is based on Alpha like the 6th-gen will be. It was easy to tell that a lot of work went into the handling and "feel" of that car, and I was fairly impressed with it.

Assuming the same characteristics get transferred into the next Camaro (or maybe even improved slightly, since it is meant to be more of a sports car than the ATS), the 6th-gens should be a great driving car.

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive."eds.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #33
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
Track times DO NOT ALWAYS do a car justice!!! also some tracks will make some cars look better than they are. due to to many straights. Its common sense.
VIR is a high speed track...but it also has a great many turns and elevation changes. Relatively dangerous as far as most tracks go. You better be able to pull around a corner and brake well on that track or no amount of straights will save your lap time.

It's a very well-rounded track test for a car. Not surprising more manufacturers and magazines are going there, lately. Flying to Germany can get expensive....
Old 04-03-2013, 04:29 PM   #34
need4spd

Drives: 2012 2SS Black on Black
I have driven my buddy's 350z a lot of times so I know that it has better handling and perk compared to my v6. It has 320hp if Im not mistaken and lighter. Our v6 is heavier and softer suspensions.

current ride - 2012 Black on Black 2SS RS w/ sunroof, muffler delete with SLP exhaust tips, rotofab cai, Falken RT7 wheels, gm strut brace, BMR 1.4 drop springs all four corners, Stainless Power 1 7/8 long tubes, Hex Vents, Jannetty Racing Tune, Helmholtz J pipe.
need4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #35
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4spd View Post
I have driven my buddy's 350z a lot of times so I know that it has better handling and perk compared to my v6. It has 320hp if Im not mistaken and lighter. Our v6 is heavier and softer suspensions.
The 370z has around that. If I recall the 350z topped out around 300...
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #36
NYYFan325

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
350Z w/ DE engine = 287
350Z w/ Revup = 300
350Z w/ HR engine = 306
370Z = 332
370Z Nismo = 350
Old 04-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #37
Richy_Rich
FAVOR

Drives: Many Different Rides
As a GT, the Camaro family drives quite well considering the progressive suspension and weight.
- handling is 100% directly relevant to driver ability given equal vehicles to compare...
EX: 1 Camaro driver vs. another in the same car.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #38
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
is it better to drive a slow car fast or a fast car slow? another way of asking. is it the car or the driver? if my car is capable to handle a turn at 50 and I can do it at 48, that is better than a car that can do it at 70 and I can do it at 55

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #39
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Drives: Camaro Justice
They very different automobiles. Take a test drive and you'll find the LS is a solid car, but the steering will be a bit numb. A Pedders tight spec aggressive street alignment will make a significant difference, especially with the on center steering feel. If you would like to better understand the 5th Gen here is a good read.

Pedders 2010 Chevrolet Camaro Suspension Evaluation

Foundational 5th Gen Required Upgrades

Lowering Coils and Coilovers

Trouble Free, OEM Quiet V6 Lowering

Sway Bars

Suspension Bushes

ZL1 / CTS-V Brake Upgrade for the SS

Wheels and Tires

Bush Timing, Alignment and Torque Specs

Pedders USA Camaro 2.0

Lingenfelter L/28 Tech

5th Gen Wheel Hop and Drag Race Setup

Thermal Management

Running Changes Made to the 5th Gen by Chevrolet

Public Track Test #1

Public Track Test #2 Camaro vs. Mustang Supercar Shootout
Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #40
Blackkaz04

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
if you think the z handles well and has "a lot of power" then the camaro wont disappoint. my wifes accord is quicker and handles better than a z......

why a v6 tho? ss1le is a phenominal car for the price
No. A 350z handles 4x better than an accord. Op: I went from ac350z to a Camaro SS and the z handles much Better and lighter! With some aftermarket sticky rubber and some suspension work it will handle much better. It will still be heavy compared to the Z though: I have made the adjustment though
Blackkaz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #41
carpleror

Drives: Nissan 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackkaz04 View Post
No. A 350z handles 4x better than an accord. Op: I went from ac350z to a Camaro SS and the z handles much Better and lighter! With some aftermarket sticky rubber and some suspension work it will handle much better. It will still be heavy compared to the Z though: I have made the adjustment though
What exactly have you done to your Camaro to compensate, if you don't mind me asking? And how do you like it compared to your 350Z?
carpleror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #42
Blackkaz04

I am running forge star f14 wheels with 315s out back. I also lowered the car on bmr springs and installed their sway bars as well. After that ingot a good alignment. Future plans include bushings and SFCs. Maybe coilovers one day....
Old 04-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #43
Blackkaz04

The car feels much more planted than it did stock. It will never have that light feel the 350z had....but the ls3 engine more than makes up for it. Especially when I get my cam and headers installed.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #44
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06

Drives: 2014 SS sedan
That time is also on an FE-3 suspended 2010 Camaro. I'd love to see an FE-4&FE-6 Camaro's times around the ring....but I don't think Chevy thought it was worth the $$ to do that.
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #45
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
These cars can whip around a track, and with a little work, they can be downright beasts
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2ls, 350z, camaro ls, handling, performance