Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #155
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycamaro2011 View Post
Tracy,
Question for you.
If all my hoses are hooked up correct to catch can why is there oil coming out of my oil breather leaking onto headers? Also, why when the oil breather is connected iam getting the strange whistle noise like the video that was posted but when I remove the oil breather it stops right away.

I have had this setup since July last year and just started to notice it like 4 months ago

Thanx
The whistling sound is more than likely coming from the check-valve in the breather.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #156
mycamaro2011
 
mycamaro2011's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Victory Red
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 362
Breather

Yes I def think its the oil breather.
I just took off that barb and it was clean and enlarged the holes.
Now it's just to get a replacement from jdp. I bought it from them but they want me to contact Tracy.

Is the breather sucking clean air in or letting crank fumes out?
Attached Images
 
mycamaro2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #157
SC2150
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 6,069
Call direct for tech support to make sure all lines are run correctly, and then if needed, ship it back for repair or replacement.

The holes in the fixed orfice need to be drilled to 5/64" top and bottom. Then test for proper flow through the can by disconnecting the hose from the cans center fitting to the barb at the PCV barb and feel the end. Should be strong vaccum.

Also, here is the latest cleanside separator (our version of the 1LE cleanside separator) we just released. This will allow the original connection to be used from this to the air intake tube barb.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:46 PM   #158
ChadG

 
ChadG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Call direct for tech support to make sure all lines are run correctly, and then if needed, ship it back for repair or replacement.

The holes in the fixed orfice need to be drilled to 5/64" top and bottom. Then test for proper flow through the can by disconnecting the hose from the cans center fitting to the barb at the PCV barb and feel the end. Should be strong vaccum.

Also, here is the latest cleanside separator (our version of the 1LE cleanside separator) we just released. This will allow the original connection to be used from this to the air intake tube barb.

Tracy can you post a picture?
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:54 PM   #159
AKA-22

 
AKA-22's Avatar
 
Drives: ELLE-1
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Farmington ,mo
Posts: 1,173
sub
__________________
AKA-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #160
The Crusher
still a kid at heart
 
The Crusher's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT RS with sunroof
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: DALLAS
Posts: 32
cntryman77...did you get your problem solved?..just wondering because i have heard alot of horror stories as well. i have mine on for a while now with no issues. I guess i just need to make sure the PCV valve doesnt get clogged (good info here pgustavson) we should keep a spare PCV valve in the trunk just in case. with great mods comes great responsibilities!!!
__________________
2010 IOM 2LT RS with sunroof::mods include::AirAid intake::RX catch can and breather::JBA Headers::MBRP catback exhaust::BMR 1" lower springs and BMR sways::Trifecta Tune::MPD1 spoiler::black rims
The Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:26 AM   #161
cntryman77

 
cntryman77's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Newton Falls, OH
Posts: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crusher View Post
cntryman77...did you get your problem solved?..just wondering because i have heard alot of horror stories as well. i have mine on for a while now with no issues. I guess i just need to make sure the PCV valve doesnt get clogged (good info here pgustavson) we should keep a spare PCV valve in the trunk just in case. with great mods comes great responsibilities!!!
I opened up the holes on the PCV & cleaned the breather & I haven't noticed any oil showing up on it since. I am having some noise issues that I believe is the check valve on the catch can. I'm supposed to be getting a free replacement in the mail soon.
__________________
cntryman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #162
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13
 
kjkjr27's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Syracuse
Posts: 10,080
Just took my second breather off because it was soaked in oil, and yes I drilled the PCV orifice so took it off and went back with the stock set-up.
__________________
kjkjr27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:32 PM   #163
pgustavson
Stop writing "vert", ffs!
 
pgustavson's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LT Convertible
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gambrills, MD
Posts: 1,341
Mine is soaked again as well. I'll probably end-up putting on the ugly stock clean-side set-up with the goofy breather that Vararam ships with their intake, grumble, grumble...
__________________
Vararam | Vmax Ported TB | Ported IM | Vmax Black ICE-olator
pgustavson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:32 PM   #164
mycamaro2011
 
mycamaro2011's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT Victory Red
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Boston MA
Posts: 362
breather cap

i too had the oil soaked breather cap.
i got a free replacement from rx but it is still getting wet with oil and the orfice holes are drilled larger.

i also had a weird thing happen not sure if its due to the oil breather and catch can.

i had the car up on stands for a few weeks changing brake pads and painting calipers. i went to start her up and got a cel misfire in num 5 cylinder. i pulled number 5 plug and noticed that the coil boot and hole down in where the plug goes had oil all over it. i sprayed the oil out of the spark plug hole and put a new plugs in. checked the inside again and there was just a few drops of oil so i cleaned it again.

drove hard for 360 miles and no oil anymore. could it be a bad gasket letting oil into the top where the coil goes over the spark plug? just totally weird.

i went back to stock oil cap and the varaam filter just incase.

anyone experiance this in num 5
mycamaro2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:22 AM   #165
cntryman77

 
cntryman77's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Newton Falls, OH
Posts: 1,090
got my new check valve for the catch can yesterday in the mail & changed it...my weird sound is gone, so that must have been the case...I looked over the bad valve & don't see anything different /wrong with it though
__________________
cntryman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #166
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!
 
nyrfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 10,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryman77 View Post
got my new check valve for the catch can yesterday in the mail & changed it...my weird sound is gone, so that must have been the case...I looked over the bad valve & don't see anything different /wrong with it though
The check valve is really not need unless you are running FI. To reduce the possibility of failure you're much better off running without one.


Sent from my 2SS/RS
__________________
Soprano 4/1/00-6/14/11, Gone but NEVER forgotten!
FSP tuned: 377/389
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #167
ChadG

 
ChadG's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
The check valve is really not need unless you are running FI. To reduce the possibility of failure you're much better off running without one.


Sent from my 2SS/RS
Yeah I think my next mod is to go to remove my check valve and perhaps go back to my Vararam breather but will this reduce the effectiveness of the catch can? I've heard Tracy say the Vararam breather is too "restrictive" anyone know of another option?
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #168
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!
 
nyrfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 10,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadG View Post
Yeah I think my next mod is to go to remove my check valve and perhaps go back to my Vararam breather but will this reduce the effectiveness of the catch can? I've heard Tracy say the Vararam breather is too "restrictive" anyone know of another option?
I'm pretty certain your catch can will be no less effective.


Sent from my 2SS/RS
__________________
Soprano 4/1/00-6/14/11, Gone but NEVER forgotten!
FSP tuned: 377/389
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.