Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Apex Paul
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #1
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...
 
PMJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 369
Motor Mounts (Pfadt, others)?

I'm in the market for motor mounts. I have my eye on Pfadts, but I've heard mixed reviews on them...they seem to be the prefered mounts on Camaro5, however I know some who have them and say the noise/vibration never got better. To the point a close friend recommended I try another option (which i don't really see).

I see many vendors claim they "break in" over a short period and the noise/vibrations significantly reduce. But that's not what i hear from the few I know who have them.

I'd like to hear from those w/Pfadt motor mounts or other brands. Did they break in and significantly reduce the noise and vibration? Or do they pretty much stay the same?

Any other recommendations, or is Pfadt the only real option?


...
__________________
PMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
PfadtRacing
 
PfadtRacing's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 3,375
Hey PMJ, just a quick comment, peoples reviews are going to be based on a bunch of variables, including their engine mods (like cam/exhaust etc) and trans type (auto is typically worse for NVH). Not to mention how subjective it is to begin with.

Our camaro mounts are literally the same design (not parts) as our Corvette mounts, which is a much "harsher" chassis overall, and we get the same response :most people love them but there are some that it is too much for.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Matt @ FSP

 
Matt @ FSP's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 2,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Hey PMJ, just a quick comment, peoples reviews are going to be based on a bunch of variables, including their engine mods (like cam/exhaust etc) and trans type (auto is typically worse for NVH). Not to mention how subjective it is to begin with.

Our camaro mounts are literally the same design (not parts) as our Corvette mounts, which is a much "harsher" chassis overall, and we get the same response :most people love them but there are some that it is too much for.
As per overall client opinion, I do warn them that you will feel the "chassis" more through the steering wheel with the big loping cams. Some customers actually like the feel better because it cuts down on the overall body shake, but it will transmit a bit more through the chassis/steering wheel with a big loping cam. There is very little difference on a stock cam car as far as transmitted "noise" through the chassis.
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...
 
PMJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 369
Thanks. I'll probalby be ordering some shortly.
__________________
PMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:12 AM   #5
429
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Richmond Hill, GA
Posts: 813
Love them, they break in a little, but there is no way around more vibration. I love the feeling, it almost completely reduces engine shake in the engine bay though, which is what their purpose is.
429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #6
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...
 
PMJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 369
So I'm only a few days in. Part of me likes feeling the engine in my seat, but I know my wife won't be happy. Before I make a longer term decision, I'd like to understand the value a little more.

Will the motor mounts be harder/better/no change on my drivetrain since there is no slop in the engine compartment?
Will they help my 60'?
Any other selling point on why I should consider keeping them?

After installing them, I'm not really expecting and break-in improvement in drivability. They are clearly stiff for a purpose. Unfortunately I have a number of changes negatively impacting drivability at the same time...so not sure how much is one vs. another...
__________________
PMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:47 AM   #7
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: overseas
Posts: 3,416
Get prothane is your worried about vibrations
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:01 AM   #8
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Get prothane is your worried about vibrations
Motor mounts are going to give you increased vibration over stock regardless.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: overseas
Posts: 3,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Motor mounts are going to give you increased vibration over stock regardless.
And yet one design generates significantly less than the other...regardless.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
And yet one design generates significantly less than the other...regardless.
Well yes. Solid mounts will obviously have more noise/vibrations than polyurethane. I'm not arguing that. When you say "design" do you mean material? Because I totally agree with you that polyurethane is "softer" than solid mounts. Just saying that both will be noiser/vibrating more than stock.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: overseas
Posts: 3,416
Pfadt mounts are NOT solid, I don't know why people keep saying that to include some of their vendors. There is a bushing, its just small.

Pfadt has minimal surface area between bushing and bolt but the benefit is lower weight of the mount at the cost of vibration. Prothane has a much larger bushing in a different configuration that greatly increases the surface area but is a larger mount. I'm unsure of the durometer difference, if any, between the two. But surface area is enough to greatly reduce the vibration issues.

Personally I don't care because I am building a race car not a sedate daily driver, I like my car to be nasty and will be getting pfadt's to reduce weight and I don't care how much it shakes. Women and cars are supposed to shake their stuff.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...
 
PMJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 369
Yeah, was thinking my wife may actually like the vibration , but i know she won't like the vibration noise. I just put back on my stock mounts. My problem is I changed too much at once, and i'm concerned i may have a problem beyond solid (or stiff) motor mount vibration. I may go back to the pfadt, but want to make sure they are causing my vibration and not the new clutch or something else in the drive train. I'll see how tomorrow goes.

The way my car drove today, i would say it is definitely a race car...installing the roll bar this weekend.
__________________
PMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
PfadtRacing
 
PfadtRacing's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 3,375
I hope I don't come across in the wrong way on this, because I say this with the best of intents, but the stiffer mounts won't actually cause any vibration...they will only slightly increase the vibrations transmitted that are already present. The trade-off between increased performance and transmitted vibration is always present when upgrading your drivetrain mounts, but we have done our best study the vibrations and minimize this trade-off. That being said, if there is a slight imbalance in the clutch/flywheel assembly already present, the factory mounts may help hide/dampen the vibration.

The only issue is....the factory mount isn't fixing the problem, it's just masking it. I think you are right on track though, lets see where that vibration is coming from and then take it from there. Ultimately, there will be a trade-off, but it shouldn't be an unbearable one. Let me know how I can help and I'll do my best!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #14
RaiderSS
 
RaiderSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2 DeadBLK
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 313
Im happy with the Prothane mounts, stock cam and the DOD is still kicking into four cylinders yet the mounts aren't harsh. They did have to settle and get retightened but the throttle response is better...

They also lower the block a bout 1.5" which is cool for top intake or blower clearance but maybe an issue if your are lowered and running long tubes.
Attached Images
 
__________________

Last edited by RaiderSS; 04-23-2013 at 01:01 PM.
RaiderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #15
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...
 
PMJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
I hope I don't come across in the wrong way on this, because I say this with the best of intents, but the stiffer mounts won't actually cause any vibration...they will only slightly increase the vibrations transmitted that are already present. The trade-off between increased performance and transmitted vibration is always present when upgrading your drivetrain mounts, but we have done our best study the vibrations and minimize this trade-off. That being said, if there is a slight imbalance in the clutch/flywheel assembly already present, the factory mounts may help hide/dampen the vibration.

The only issue is....the factory mount isn't fixing the problem, it's just masking it. I think you are right on track though, lets see where that vibration is coming from and then take it from there. Ultimately, there will be a trade-off, but it shouldn't be an unbearable one. Let me know how I can help and I'll do my best!
You are coming across just fine. I never meant to imply the pfadt mounts were causing the vibration...i was just wondering if it was always there and i didn't notice on the stock mounts. I resolved 1 vibration issue i had which was my alternator shaft...I must have been too rough when installing the 10-rib pulley.

Unfortunatley i still think my new clutch may have a vibration at certain RPM...now i may go back to the pfadt mounts to continue troubleshooting .

PfadtRacing, one thing I can't seem to find is the actual benefit of the stiffer mounts. I know they cut down on engine movement, but what does that translate too? i.e. I'm not expecting it to have any impact on my dyno number or top end power, but will it help my 60'? I currently have all the other rear bushing upgrades...so what will changing the mounts do for me?

Frankly, this is my 700+ hp daily driver, and i prefer the dampening of the stock mounts...but i'm always looking for "value". If I can expect to save a 1/10th on my 60'...or if this will help preserve my stock transmission...then it is worth it to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderSS View Post
They also lower the block a bout 1.5" which is cool for top intake or blower clearance but maybe an issue if your are lowered and running long tubes.
I think this just ruled out Prothane for me...i'm am lowered and long tubes and they already scrape more than i like...
__________________
PMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #16
PfadtRacing
 
PfadtRacing's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 3,375
Great question. Once you get into a high horsepower application, there is always the benefit of increased durability of the mount. As far as performance, the biggest reason I've ran them in the past was for a more direct throttle response. In general though, it is just a more efficient way to transfer the power to the wheels.

I think you are on the right track though. Some vibration transfer is normal, but anything more probably indicates a problem somewhere else in the system. Feel free to get at me with any questions or trouble shooting ideas you might have when you're plugging away at this, I've had to troubleshoot vibration issues on my vettes a number of times and can definitely try to help where I can.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #17
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...
 
PMJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Great question. Once you get into a high horsepower application, there is always the benefit of increased durability of the mount. As far as performance, the biggest reason I've ran them in the past was for a more direct throttle response. In general though, it is just a more efficient way to transfer the power to the wheels.

I think you are on the right track though. Some vibration transfer is normal, but anything more probably indicates a problem somewhere else in the system. Feel free to get at me with any questions or trouble shooting ideas you might have when you're plugging away at this, I've had to troubleshoot vibration issues on my vettes a number of times and can definitely try to help where I can.
Thanks. I think i've concluded my last vibration was in my drive train. My OEM drive shaft got pulled apart when i was reinstalling and i did not realign it correclty (made a bad assumption each peice was balanced). By the time i concluded that was the problem and realigned it, i think the middle bushing was shot. I ended up breaking an axel at the track...luckily i already had my ZL1 rear conversion kit sitting in my garage. Not that it's installed and back on the road, it appears my vibrations have gone away...final test will be as soon as i get a chance to head out the track again. I could see the vibration in my data logging on the launch. looked like wheel hop, however the video on my rear wheel showed no hop.
__________________
PMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #18
429
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Richmond Hill, GA
Posts: 813
I went to pfadt mounts because with the tranny swap and 2" headers I couldnt afford the side to side movement I'd get with stock mounts due to the tight clearances involved.
429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:45 PM   #19
Nathan Moreno


 
Nathan Moreno's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,023
I have some new Prothane never used I will sell if anybody is interested. Replaced with Pfadt.
Nathan Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #20
PfadtRacing
 
PfadtRacing's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 3,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMJ View Post
Thanks. I think i've concluded my last vibration was in my drive train. My OEM drive shaft got pulled apart when i was reinstalling and i did not realign it correclty (made a bad assumption each peice was balanced). By the time i concluded that was the problem and realigned it, i think the middle bushing was shot. I ended up breaking an axel at the track...luckily i already had my ZL1 rear conversion kit sitting in my garage. Not that it's installed and back on the road, it appears my vibrations have gone away...final test will be as soon as i get a chance to head out the track again. I could see the vibration in my data logging on the launch. looked like wheel hop, however the video on my rear wheel showed no hop.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #21
PfadtRacing
 
PfadtRacing's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 3,375
Any updates?
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #22
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,690
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:28 PM   #23
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...
 
PMJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 369
I plan to finally make it back to the track tomorrow night. I think i'm having some clutch chatter issues with my new RXT. I went by a local speed shop today and they concluded it was my 700 rwhp that broke my axel and not the clutch chatter.

Tomorrow will be my first time at the track w/800 rwhp...i've only tuned on the dyno, so likely will be fine tuning all night... should have an update in a few days.
__________________
PMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #24
PMJ
Seeking 9s on M6...
 
PMJ's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3 aka "BlackWidow"
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 369
Rained out .
__________________
PMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.