Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SMGSS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #476
Zabo
Bowtie to the brim

Drives: '10 R6P 2SS/RS M6, '96 S10 ZR2 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
I wonder why they don't scrap'em and sell the scraps. Seems like there would be a decent chunk of change they could recoup. Must not be cost effective...
It's not. Also certain portions can't be recycled due to asbestos or other substances that are considered toxic these days. Other planes aren't retired so much as they're placed in a form of long term storage or used as a source of parts (such as the A-10).

Other planes have been smelted to prevent parts from existing like the F-14. Prevents Iran from having a parts source, and yes they did steal parts while the Tomcat was an active duty airframe..
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #477
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Another successful test....

ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #478
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '112SS/RS'12CruzECO'11CruzeLTZ,Mini
Been awhile. Have had tunnel vision lately. Can't believe got the medical back thought was done for good. Now back in Requal Training. 5 Sim Sessions to go then back in the real air. Great to see people still posting.

SSBUSDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #479
Dragonlady
Lovin' it!

Drives: 2010 Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUSDRVR View Post
Been awhile. Have had tunnel vision lately. Can't believe got the medical back thought was done for good. Now back in Requal Training. 5 Sim Sessions to go then back in the real air. Great to see people still posting.
We're just glad we didn't have to send the Civil Air Patrol out looking for ya!
Old 04-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #480
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS LS3
We have been getting excellent press trying to save the aviation program! No words on the results yet. Thank you for signing the petition and for all your support.

Here is a video that was done by richard simmons....prepare to laugh a little bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c58FEsKj-78

www.flyauburn.org
NightOwl RGB Halos, Kooks 1-7/8 LT Headers, Catless Midpipes, Borla ATAK Catback, 35% Tint, Vinyl Gill Blackouts, RX Catch Can, Skip Shift Eliminator, Devil Tail Side Stripes, Front Lip Blackout, Dual Color Bowties, Ghosted Sidemarkers,
Exhaust Video (Manifolds) Exhaust Video (Headers) White Lightning
A.C.E.5.
420 RWHP/422 RWTQ

Last edited by CamaroKid300; 04-25-2013 at 02:16 AM.
CamaroKid300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #481
SSBUSDRVR

Quote:
We're just glad we didn't have to send the Civil Air Patrol out looking for ya!
LOL Thanks for waiting a bit.

What petition must have missed that one. Sorry why they trying to trash your program?

Old 05-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #482
ShnOmac

Crazy...

Old 05-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #483
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

BUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMPPPPPP.
NightOwl RGB Halos, Kooks 1-7/8 LT Headers, Catless Midpipes, Borla ATAK Catback, 35% Tint, Vinyl Gill Blackouts, RX Catch Can, Skip Shift Eliminator, Devil Tail Side Stripes, Front Lip Blackout, Dual Color Bowties, Ghosted Sidemarkers,
A.C.E.5.
420 RWHP/422 RWTQ
Old 05-29-2013, 02:13 AM   #484
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..

Drives: 2010 Synergy
Yesterday all the movie channels were playing old war movies in honor of Memorial Day. Some were really good classics like The Battle of Britain, others probably should have stayed in the can. One noteworthy example was "Sky Commando". I could overlook the terrible acting and the stock footage that switched back and forth between F-86s and P-80s. Or even the 8th Air Force base situated in a mountainous desert somewhere near London. But the part that finally got me rolling on the floor was when a voice announced over a loudspeaker that a plane was coming in with only two engines left...

...when the plane appeared over the airfield, it was a B-25!

Name:  B-25_Mitchell_-Sarinah-.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  78.8 KB

I wonder where they lost the other engines?

For that matter, where were they mounted in the first place?

With envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #485
ripcard
INJACC

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/IO 6M
Thread revival.

Finally got through editing my pictures from the Hamilton Air Show (June 15). Hazy day in the afternoon but a good show. Some very rare birds.

[IMG][/IMG]
Focke Wulf FW-190 A8 (Military Aviation Museum)

[IMG][/IMG]
RAF SE5a (Great War Flying Museum)

[IMG][/IMG]
Fokker DR 1 (Great War Flying Museum) and CF-18 Hornet Demo

[IMG][/IMG]
North American B-25J Mitchell (Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum)

[IMG][/IMG]
Canadian Harvard Aircraft Association Aerobatic Team

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Messerschmitt Me-262 Schwalbe (Military Aviation Museum)

[IMG][/IMG]
Focke Wulf FW-190 A8 (Military Aviation Museum)

[IMG][/IMG]
Sopwith 1Ĺ Strutter and Fokker DR 1 (Great War Flying Museum)

[IMG][/IMG]
Nieuport 28 (Great War Flying Museum)

[IMG][/IMG]
CF-18 Demo

[IMG][/IMG]
CF-18 Demo

[IMG][/IMG]
Snowbirds

[IMG][/IMG]
Snowbirds

[IMG]
[/IMG]
Twin Beech 18 (Matt Younkin Airshows)

[IMG]
[/IMG]
Twin Beech 18 (Matt Younkin Airshows)

[IMG][/IMG]
Avro Lancaster MK. X (Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum)

[IMG][/IMG]
de Havilland DH-98 Mosquito (Military Aviation Museum)

[IMG][/IMG]
Supermarine Spitfire MK XVI (Vintage Wings of Canada)

[IMG][/IMG]
Hawker Hurricane Mk IV (Vintage Wings of Canada)

[IMG][/IMG]
Hawker Hurricane Mk X (Military Aviation Museum)

[IMG][/IMG]
Avro Lancaster MK. X (Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum) & de Havilland DH-98 Mosquito (Military Aviation Museum)

[IMG][/IMG]
Merlin Formation (Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, Military Aviation Museum & Vintage Wings of Canada)
Pedders Xa Coilovers & Sways w/Fe4, Pfadt Rear Trailing Arms & Tie Rods, Forgestar CF5 Wheels w/PZeros, GM Perf. 1LE 3.91 Diff, Pedders Cradle Bushings, MGW STS, CAI Intake & Apex Scoop, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers w/HF Cats to Magnaflow 3" Cat Back, RX Catch Can, VMax Ported TB, JRE Tune, Billet Tunnel Brace, SRP Pedals, Skip Shift Eliminator, Seibon CF Hood & ST Trunk, 1LE Splitter, ZL1 Rockers, Heritage Grill, F & R Sparks "SS" badges, Billet Polished Door Handles, Window Tint, Technostalgia LED Tail Lights, AAC Concept Side Markers, Stealth Signals and my favourite accessory...Litho #163.
ripcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #486
ShnOmac

Great pic's!
Old 07-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #487
YellowCammy

Drives: 2012 2LS
Wow love these old planes. I would like to tell y'all I was part of a crew that saved a very well known B-17 from Mud Island. It's the Memphis Belle. Now, it was a while ago, but I can tell you she was beauiftul and with such a rich history as a heavy bomber in WWII. I was able to help a crew of experienced FedEx Mechanics that were going to restore her at the Millington Airport. she had a hanger all to her self and spent a while there. I'll never forget being able to sit in the cockpit, and hold the guns she had on her. While at the Millington Airport she was part of an airshow. even though she was a shell people still came in wanting to see her. even had international people of the military come out to see her (german and french). Sadly the Airforce took her from us... Please enjoy these few pictures I have of her. The man in the picture is my dad
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #488
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowCammy View Post
Wow love these old planes. I would like to tell y'all I was part of a crew that saved a very well known B-17 from Mud Island. It's the Memphis Belle. Now, it was a while ago, but I can tell you she was beauiftul and with such a rich history as a heavy bomber in WWII. I was able to help a crew of experienced FedEx Mechanics that were going to restore her at the Millington Airport. she had a hanger all to her self and spent a while there. I'll never forget being able to sit in the cockpit, and hold the guns she had on her. While at the Millington Airport she was part of an airshow. even though she was a shell people still came in wanting to see her. even had international people of the military come out to see her (german and french). Sadly the Airforce took her from us... Please enjoy these few pictures I have of her. The man in the picture is my dad
Crazy timing..... I was just looking at her restoration pic's yesterday.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/photos/slideshow.asp?id={0A2C97E9-2955-40E9-AF0C-568F0BC993BA}
Old 07-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #489
YellowCammy

Drives: 2012 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Crazy timing..... I was just looking at her restoration pic's yesterday.

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/photos/slideshow.asp?id={0A2C97E9-2955-40E9-AF0C-568F0BC993BA}
oh wow that is crazy timing thanks for the link! its crazy this plane completed it required 25 missions when it was highly unlikely it would. and I was able to see and help restore this plane a little bit before it left out from Memphis.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #490
Rob@WretchedMS

Drives: His Wife Crazy Phone:860-880-0486
I'm planning on going to the Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB on my way to Camaro5Fest, I am currently planning on being at the museum on Wednesday (could change to Tuesday) before the fest.
Rob@WretchedMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #491
theragtopguy
Lifetime Phillies Fan

Drives: Silver/Black '12 2LT 'Vert 6-speed
Fantastic pictures.....love the old planes, especially the old WW1 fighters.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #492
MLL67RSSS

Drives: 67 Indy Pace Car
Sorry if this has been covered, I got to page ten and gave up!

I've seen numerous referrals to the P-38 Lightning, a.k.a. "the Forked Tailed Devil."

Anyone know what made it a superior air combat plane?

All aircraft with a single inline piston engine had one unique drawback, the reciprocating crankshaft/rod/piston assembly in the engine created a gyroscopic effect which caused the plane to not be able to turn as tight a turn in one direction. The P-38 had counter-rotating engine that cancelled this effect, it could turn just as tight a turn in both directions. This greatly benefited the plane in aerial dogfights!

As for the B-25 my dad was in the 10AF, 12th Bomb group, 81st Squadron and flew B-25's in WWII. According to him the design of the plane, with a vertical stabilizer directly behind each engine, made it the "sweetest flying bomber" in the air. Said that once trimmed out it would darn near fly itself (He'd done some training on B-24/B-17's). One of the other interesting things he'd mentioned was the B-25G was equipped a 75mm M4 cannon. He said when you'd fire that big 'ole thing the recoil made it feel like the plane "paused" in the air momentarily.

Also if you're ever in Tuscon, you need to take the bus tour of AMARG a.k.a. AMARC. The nearby Pima Air and Space Museum (also a "must see") has them available Mon-Fri.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/309th_A...neration_Group

"AMARG is a controlled-access site, and is off-limits to anyone not employed there without the proper clearance. The only access for non-cleared individuals is via a bus tour which is conducted by the nearby Pima Air & Space Museum. Bus tours are Monday through Friday only."
Attached Images

MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #493
ripcard
INJACC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
...I've seen numerous referrals to the P-38 Lightning, a.k.a. "the Forked Tailed Devil."

Anyone know what made it a superior air combat plane?

All aircraft with a single inline piston engine had one unique drawback, the reciprocating crankshaft/rod/piston assembly in the engine created a gyroscopic effect which caused the plane to not be able to turn as tight a turn in one direction. The P-38 had counter-rotating engine that cancelled this effect, it could turn just as tight a turn in both directions. This greatly benefited the plane in aerial dogfights!...
I just want to clarify your statement a little.

The engine rotating assy. in a single engine fighter has an effect on roll rate not the degree of turn capability. The plane will still turn as much in either direction, it just can't roll as fast in the one opposite to it's engine rotating assy.'s direction. When rolling in the same direction as the engine rotating assy., the planes roll rate increases. The pilot can use this to advantage. A large twin boom, twin engine fighter would not roll faster than a single engine fighter no matter which way the engines are rotating. Think of a figure skater pulling her arms in to spin faster. Centralize the mass and the resistance to spin along the axis is reduced.

In aircraft radial engines minimize this effect, while rotary engines, used in some early WWI fighters, maximized this effect.

The P-38 Lightning was a great plane but was not the best pure fighter by a long shot. It saw limited use in Europe where it would have gone up against excellent fighters such as the Me 109 and FW-190 with very well trained and experienced pilots. It was used extensively in the Pacific where it's long range and extra engine safety factor was a big benefit. Pilot's reported the P-38 to be an excellent gun platform and as the name implied, it was very fast. Superior tactics, excellent pilot training and the plane showing up where it was not expected (range) were huge factors in it being very successful in the Pacific.

From Oshkosh last year:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Pedders Xa Coilovers & Sways w/Fe4, Pfadt Rear Trailing Arms & Tie Rods, Forgestar CF5 Wheels w/PZeros, GM Perf. 1LE 3.91 Diff, Pedders Cradle Bushings, MGW STS, CAI Intake & Apex Scoop, Pfadt Tri-Y Headers w/HF Cats to Magnaflow 3" Cat Back, RX Catch Can, VMax Ported TB, JRE Tune, Billet Tunnel Brace, SRP Pedals, Skip Shift Eliminator, Seibon CF Hood & ST Trunk, 1LE Splitter, ZL1 Rockers, Heritage Grill, F & R Sparks "SS" badges, Billet Polished Door Handles, Window Tint, Technostalgia LED Tail Lights, AAC Concept Side Markers, Stealth Signals and my favourite accessory...Litho #163.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:55 AM   #494
MLL67RSSS

Drives: 67 Indy Pace Car
Did some checking and it seems they had counter rotating props.

As for the turning thing, here is what I based my statement on. From pilots who actually flew them in combat.

http://www.bushwings.com/Diary1.html

"A single engine airplane will normally attempt to escape with a left turn. Because of torque and P-factor, it can make a sharper turn to the left than to the right. In a P-38 if we were trying to escape an enemy single engine fighter, we would normally make a turn to the right, with counter rotating props we could turn equally well in both directions, but remember the enemy single engine fighter didn’t turn quite as well to the right as to the left. That is why we would turn right. "
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #495
ripcard
INJACC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLL67RSSS View Post
...As for the turning thing, here is what I based my statement on. From pilots who actually flew them in combat.

http://www.bushwings.com/Diary1.html

"A single engine airplane will normally attempt to escape with a left turn. Because of torque and P-factor, it can make a sharper turn to the left than to the right. In a P-38 if we were trying to escape an enemy single engine fighter, we would normally make a turn to the right, with counter rotating props we could turn equally well in both directions, but remember the enemy single engine fighter didnít turn quite as well to the right as to the left. That is why we would turn right. "
Fair enough. The roll rate has a big part in initiating a hard turn. I don't know about "sharper turn" but quicker is just as important, I would guess. Turning to a known enemy's weaker side would be part of the tactics and training I was talking about. Knowledge is power and choosing to turn to the right avoids the possibility that your enemy could turn inside you and get his sights on you.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #496
Scooter11

Drives: 2013 SW 2LS
Wow, I just found this thread and boy am I glad I did! Love planes, especially WWII era (my favorite being the Supermarine Spitfire) Fantastic pictures as well...
Scooter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #497
Mydivorcegift
When is soon?

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
I'm not a plane nerd but I have a question for those that are....

I was thinking about this after the crash a couple of weeks ago. Why is it there are only lap belts in planes? It would seem a harness or at least a shoulder belt would make survival more likely.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:05 PM   #498
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

I don't know how many of you here had seen my posts about Auburn's aviation program getting shut down by the university but I'm happy to say that is no longer the case!

Auburn Aviation is here to stay and flourish!

Now....I just need hours to get to 250 so I can get my commercial license....anyone got any hookups
A.C.E.5.
420 RWHP/422 RWTQ
Old 07-19-2013, 05:50 AM   #499
yzrider58
Team Chevy

Drives: 10 1SS, 12 Terrain, 90 K1500 Z-71
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
I don't know how many of you here had seen my posts about Auburn's aviation program getting shut down by the university but I'm happy to say that is no longer the case!

Now....I just need hours to get to 250 so I can get my commercial license....anyone got any hookups
I'm sure the pressure applied to the college by Richard Simmons made them cave lol. That's great news though.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #500
SSBUSDRVR

Glad to see this thread alive and kicking.

Quote:

Congrats!
Man really really wish had a way here to get you that time. My first job flying Charter and Mail/Check runs in light Twins use to take along guys/gals in your position and let them fly the Part 91 flights back. Hope you can find someone to tag along with and get that time. Wish you the best and glad someone had enough sense to keep your program at Auburn.

Asiana SFO NTSB Photos
http://www.flickr.com//photos/686184...th/9240582634/

Last edited by SSBUSDRVR; 07-19-2013 at 10:38 PM.