Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #15
ckaram

 
ckaram's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,828
I don't think you can compare a 99 Firehawk to this trans fairly, can you? Wasn't that a Tremec?

I don't have shifting issues (600 miles), but my first impression was that the throws are long. It is the factory unit in a V6 so I'm not phased. Maybe the Hurst will find its way into my car some day.
__________________
1968 Camaro convertible, LS1 & T56, Texas Speed 228R cam, 3.73 posi, 17" Torque Thrusts
2011 2SS/RS, LS3, M6, IOM in and out, factory Hurst short throw, GMPP axleback exhaust
ckaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #16
francone13
 
francone13's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 280
i think the shifting is fine....but also this is my first manual....i did drive my brothers 2000 jetta and i think the camaros shifting is better
francone13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:30 PM   #17
smoothoperator
 
smoothoperator's Avatar
 
Drives: Future 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 126
Send a message via AIM to smoothoperator
Does anyone know if something like the this would possibly help?

I used to use something similar in my old talon TSi... Oddly enough 2nd gear in these cars were known for being rough

__________________
1100 - 6/22/09
2000 - ???
3000 - 8/12/09 (8/31 TPW)
3100 -
3300 -
3400 -
3800 -
4200 -
5000/6000 -
smoothoperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #18
rays
V6 - It just isn't normal
 
rays's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT M6, F250 7.3L Diesel
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 266
Its clunkier than expected. According to the reviews it was very smooth. That was before the redesign though. It has to be the changes they made to beef it up that made it clunky.
Specifically the syncros
__________________

2LT RS M6 RJT Black leather
4/29/2009 Ordered
6/24 6000 Delivered
rays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #19
smoothoperator
 
smoothoperator's Avatar
 
Drives: Future 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 126
Send a message via AIM to smoothoperator
Quote:
Originally Posted by rays View Post
Its clunkier than expected. According to the reviews it was very smooth. That was before the redesign though. It has to be the changes they made to beef it up that made it clunky.
Specifically the syncros
Is it enough to maybe take the automatic transmission over the M6?
__________________
1100 - 6/22/09
2000 - ???
3000 - 8/12/09 (8/31 TPW)
3100 -
3300 -
3400 -
3800 -
4200 -
5000/6000 -
smoothoperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #20
Primus
2G1FF1EV0A9113319
 
Primus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1LT/RS 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram View Post
I don't think you can compare a 99 Firehawk to this trans fairly, can you? Wasn't that a Tremec?

I don't have shifting issues (600 miles), but my first impression was that the throws are long. It is the factory unit in a V6 so I'm not phased. Maybe the Hurst will find its way into my car some day.
Obviously it isn't a direct comparison. Although, smoothness of shift shouldn't be defined by the amount of power in a car.

I also owned a pontiac solstice with an Aisin transmission and it was smoother then this.

Again, I'm not saying its unusable, just that it could (and probably should) be smoother.
__________________
2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6 Black
1100: 10/13/2008
2000: 4/02/2009
3000: 4/08/2009
3300: 5/14/2009
3400: 5/21/2009
3800: 5/28/2009 VIN: 2G1FF1EV0A9113319
4000: 5/28/2009
4150: 5/28/2009
4B00: 5/28/2009

Delivered: 6/10/2009
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #21
rays
V6 - It just isn't normal
 
rays's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT M6, F250 7.3L Diesel
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothoperator View Post
Is it enough to maybe take the automatic transmission over the M6?
Well thats your call I guess. If your lucky enough to drive both before you buy then do it. I still like the manual. Like some others said, its the shift into second thats an issue. Its doesnt go into second as easy as the rest.

Here are the posts on the changes by somebody "in the know". From what he said it makes sense you would notice something on Second.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1259

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=17
__________________

2LT RS M6 RJT Black leather
4/29/2009 Ordered
6/24 6000 Delivered
rays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:02 PM   #22
smoothoperator
 
smoothoperator's Avatar
 
Drives: Future 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 126
Send a message via AIM to smoothoperator
Quote:
Originally Posted by rays View Post
Well thats your call I guess. If your lucky enough to drive both before you buy then do it. I still like the manual. Like some others said, its the shift into second thats an issue. Its doesnt go into second as easy as the rest.

Here are the posts on the changes by somebody "in the know". From what he said it makes sense you would notice something on Second.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...postcount=1259

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=17
So is this every single V6 M6 that has the abnormal shift into 2nd or just certain ones?
__________________
1100 - 6/22/09
2000 - ???
3000 - 8/12/09 (8/31 TPW)
3100 -
3300 -
3400 -
3800 -
4200 -
5000/6000 -
smoothoperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:21 PM   #23
rays
V6 - It just isn't normal
 
rays's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2LT M6, F250 7.3L Diesel
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 266
There were only a handful of M6 V6 cars made without the redesign. Some pre-production M6 V6's were used in many reviews. Number 3's is probably the only production vin with the original trans design. Or at least the only one I've heard of.
__________________

2LT RS M6 RJT Black leather
4/29/2009 Ordered
6/24 6000 Delivered
rays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #24
bengen5
 
bengen5's Avatar
 
Drives: 1LT IBM Camaro RS
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: St. louis mo
Posts: 86
guess i better buff up before i take delivery in hopefully a few days
__________________

1LT/RS 6M IBM CC BA
ordered 3-6-09
VIN # 2G1FF1EV9A9123847
picked up 7-17-09
bengen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #25
smoothoperator
 
smoothoperator's Avatar
 
Drives: Future 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 126
Send a message via AIM to smoothoperator
Is it just forceful shifting or is it actually crunchy throwing it into 2nd?
__________________
1100 - 6/22/09
2000 - ???
3000 - 8/12/09 (8/31 TPW)
3100 -
3300 -
3400 -
3800 -
4200 -
5000/6000 -
smoothoperator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #26
Primus
2G1FF1EV0A9113319
 
Primus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1LT/RS 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothoperator View Post
Is it just forceful shifting or is it actually crunchy throwing it into 2nd?
Not crunchy but for me it is "bumpy". You know?
__________________
2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6 Black
1100: 10/13/2008
2000: 4/02/2009
3000: 4/08/2009
3300: 5/14/2009
3400: 5/21/2009
3800: 5/28/2009 VIN: 2G1FF1EV0A9113319
4000: 5/28/2009
4150: 5/28/2009
4B00: 5/28/2009

Delivered: 6/10/2009
Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #27
Xanthos
Almost-Original Postwhore
 
Xanthos's Avatar
 
Drives: Stick
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 12,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by rays View Post
There were only a handful of M6 V6 cars made without the redesign. Some pre-production M6 V6's were used in many reviews. Number 3's is probably the only production vin with the original trans design. Or at least the only one I've heard of.
Number 3s wasn't production - it was CTF.
- X
__________________
Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #28
EarliestMemory
RED HT RS
 
EarliestMemory's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 VR 2LT/RS Camaro, 06 Harley
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primus View Post
Not crunchy but for me it is "bumpy". You know?
And with me it's also forceful shifting. I've been trying to pay more attention to speed and rpm, because it occasionally does shift smoothly. Seems like if you shift at 13mph, 1800 rpm, and the stars are aligned and it's 12:13 pm on Tuesday, it'll shift smoothly into 2nd. Like I said, not a problem, just takes more muscle than I expect.
__________________
EarliestMemory is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did you go with Manual or Auto? Age? Mayhem V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) 493 07-16-2015 08:10 PM
Tracking All Currently Known US VIN and Window Stickers - Order Tracking Thread UCF w00t Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 4242 02-17-2014 08:57 PM
Tips on Driving a Manual Trans Zabo General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 23 01-14-2013 03:35 AM
Why aren't there any Aqua Blues yet? txcamarogirl 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 40 08-20-2009 10:05 AM
Camaro Manual Transmission LSxcellent 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 17 08-01-2007 05:11 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.