Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Industries
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) Driveshafts | Differentials | Gears | Rearends | Clutch | Shifters

Old 05-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
1LE half-shaft & boot replacement

I brought my 1LE to the dealership after noticing some grease on the inside of the real wheel. Other C5 guys diagnosed correctly - it was the axle boot, but the dealership is now telling me the rear axle also needs to be replaced per GM. My 1LE is the first this dealership has seen much less worked on. I told them it has different rear axles than the base SS - they assured me they'd get the right part since they order based on the VIN... I hope they're right.

My question is this - is this a "big" repair, or routine / not too involved? I don't like the idea of my basically new car getting torn apart and don't know enough about what's being some to decide how worried I should be about the job getting done right or not. Thought?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
BigMatt
2010 Camaro 2 SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to BigMatt
Swapping axles is a quick job. I did both of mine in about an hour using jack stands.
LS3, JRE Smooth Idle cam, CAI Inc, ARH 1 7/8, Corsa, MSD Wires, MGW Shifter, Street slayer clutch, Tick braided clutch line & speed bleeder, DSS 1000hp ds & 1400hp axles, BMR Split drop, Sway Bars, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, Pro bushing kit, Spohn lcas, Whipple, LPE dual fuel pumps, Rx catch can, Id850s, Powerhaus Performance tuned.
BigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
it's only held on with a nut. remove wheel, remove upper arm, toe rod, and trailing arm bolt, tilt, remove axle. very easy
429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
changing the axle would be easier than the boot. its under warranty so I would just let them have at it.
If you want to see some of our latest Hi-Tech stuff click the picture below....
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
GFORCE1320

Drives: 05 GTO
Pretty easy job but if it's under warranty I'd let them do it.
www.Gforce1320.com 316-260-8433
MONSTER CLUTCH DEALER

GFORCE1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluBlud View Post
I brought my 1LE to the dealership after noticing some grease on the inside of the real wheel. Other C5 guys diagnosed correctly - it was the axle boot, but the dealership is now telling me the rear axle also needs to be replaced per GM. My 1LE is the first this dealership has seen much less worked on. I told them it has different rear axles than the base SS - they assured me they'd get the right part since they order based on the VIN... I hope they're right.

My question is this - is this a "big" repair, or routine / not too involved? I don't like the idea of my basically new car getting torn apart and don't know enough about what's being some to decide how worried I should be about the job getting done right or not. Thought?
Thanks again for reaching out regarding this concern bluBlud!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I was looking this morning at the car and noticed the 1/2 shafts are different, where the driver side (the one that is leaking grease) is constant thickness and the passenger side tapers to a larger diameter between the axle boots. I've read that the 1LEs have "beefier" axles compared to the base SS. I've also read of other 1LEs getting wrong parts, the one guy who had 1 ZL1 width rear tire comes to mind. So, anyone else with a 1LE see the same on their car? Are the axles the same on both sides or different like mine?
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Different sizes are an anti wheel hop feature.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
drayco513

Drives: ss2/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveshaftshop View Post
changing the axle would be easier than the boot. its under warranty so I would just let them have at it.
this
Old 06-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
drayco513

Drives: ss2/rs
they are diff sizes to help with wheel hope. i put 1le axels on my ss . they bar looks to be about the same size as the ss axel but the boots are bigger. also the spline count is the same but are diff design compared to the ss. the 1le has more contact on the splines then the ss. or thats what it looks like to me