Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #1
Cleancoupe
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 249
Thinking about getting Opti Coat & Clear Bra?

I just picked up my 2013 2SS/RS/1LE in ashen gray last week & now I'm thinking of how I want to protect the paint. She will be garage kept & really only driven on the weekends. I've been hearing good things about opti coat & have been thinking about getting it put on my car. I talked to a detailer I know & he said he would do it for $325. Doesn't seem too bad.

I'm going to get some rpi front splash guards & zl1 rear splash gaurds to help keep the rockers from getting chipped up.

I've also been thinking about getting a clear bra done. Would y'all recommend doing one? I've heard mixed reviews. If I did the clear bra & opti coat would I want the bra under or ontop of the opti?
Thanks
Cleancoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
Glen e

 
Drives: Cyber/Red C7
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,930
325 is a good price if it's done right. But be aware,it's not the holy grail, you still need to wash correctly and follow with correct drying. It still can swirl and rocks will still ding the car. It recharges well after washing iwth a spray on monthly called CarPro RELOAD.
__________________
Glen
2LT C7 Cyber/Red

Last edited by Glen e; 06-02-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
AMCBimmer
 
Drives: 2002 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Aldie, VA
Posts: 242
Have the same color ZL1 I have Suntek film on the whole hood. I have opticoated the entire vehicle except doors and hood. You will not regret the look. I have now done 3 cars. My wife has a 2013 Audi Q5 and Ram 1500 the Opticoat has held up well on all 3. I need to do my M5.
__________________
AMCBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Normagene

 
Normagene's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Plymouth, Mass
Posts: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleancoupe View Post
I just picked up my 2013 2SS/RS/1LE in ashen gray last week & now I'm thinking of how I want to protect the paint.
I've also been thinking about getting a clear bra done. Would y'all recommend doing one? I've heard mixed reviews. If I did the clear bra & opti coat would I want the bra under or ontop of the opti?
Thanks
Congrats on your new ride! I put the Clear-Bra on mine and its a great product. Not just on the front and partway up the hood, but also places like mirrors and gills. Basically any area that is more prone to nick/chip. Wish I had known about the Opti-coat 2.0 back then because I would of done that right after installing the clear bra. Only problem I have w/clear bra is the line it leaves when waxing the car. You have to take extra time to clean the wax residue along the start/end line of the bra. No big deal, but an extra step unless you use a detail spray. With those two products you're getting the Best paint protection IMO possible. Again Congrats!Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370184417.957029.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  238.1 KB
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
AMCBimmer
 
Drives: 2002 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Aldie, VA
Posts: 242
Pic1
Attached Images
 
__________________
AMCBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
ec1990

 
Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,412
Clear bra's are awesome if done correctly (be advised the installer is the greatest variable you have). Honestly I'd do both, but I would just skip the opti-coat on the portions that the clear bra is put on. Because the opti-coat can only be bonded to a clean paint surface so the clear bra would go over it, but there's no real point because the clear bra has much more protection than opti-coat will.

And like glen said, you still have to use proper wash/dry techniques to keep your paint in good shape. Just a simple 2BM or rinseless wash with quality products and your paint should look like glass all day.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
AMCBimmer
 
Drives: 2002 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Aldie, VA
Posts: 242
Pic 2
Attached Images
 
__________________
AMCBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
ec1990

 
Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Congrats on your new ride! I put the Clear-Bra on mine and its a great product. Not just on the front and partway up the hood, but also places like mirrors and gills. Basically any area that is more prone to nick/chip. Wish I had known about the Opti-coat 2.0 back then because I would of done that right after installing the clear bra. Only problem I have w/clear bra is the line it leaves when waxing the car. You have to take extra time to clean the wax residue along the start/end line of the bra. No big deal, but an extra step unless you use a detail spray. With those two products you're getting the Best paint protection IMO possible. Again Congrats!
If you want to avoid that you could tape up that clear bra edge to avoid going over it with some simple painter's tape.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
AMCBimmer
 
Drives: 2002 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Aldie, VA
Posts: 242
Pic3
Attached Images
 
__________________
AMCBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #10
AMCBimmer
 
Drives: 2002 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Aldie, VA
Posts: 242
Pic 4
Attached Images
 
__________________
AMCBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
AMCBimmer
 
Drives: 2002 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Aldie, VA
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Congrats on your new ride! I put the Clear-Bra on mine and its a great product. Not just on the front and partway up the hood, but also places like mirrors and gills. Basically any area that is more prone to nick/chip. Wish I had known about the Opti-coat 2.0 back then because I would of done that right after installing the clear bra. Only problem I have w/clear bra is the line it leaves when waxing the car. You have to take extra time to clean the wax residue along the start/end line of the bra. No big deal, but an extra step unless you use a detail spray. With those two products you're getting the Best paint protection IMO possible. Again Congrats!Attachment 517719
Easy idea to clean the lines are fluffy q-tips with rubbing alcohol. Do not push hard as it will eventually loosen but but always look fresh.
__________________
AMCBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #12
LIM3
it's mind bottling..
 
LIM3's Avatar
 
Drives: I drive the green one
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: I live where you vacation. Miami FL
Posts: 5,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleancoupe View Post
I just picked up my 2013 2SS/RS/1LE in ashen gray last week & now I'm thinking of how I want to protect the paint. She will be garage kept & really only driven on the weekends. I've been hearing good things about opti coat & have been thinking about getting it put on my car. I talked to a detailer I know & he said he would do it for $325. Doesn't seem too bad.

I'm going to get some rpi front splash guards & zl1 rear splash gaurds to help keep the rockers from getting chipped up.

I've also been thinking about getting a clear bra done. Would y'all recommend doing one? I've heard mixed reviews. If I did the clear bra & opti coat would I want the bra under or ontop of the opti?
Thanks
you would want opti coat under the bra. its bascially another clear coat that beads water like a WAX/SEALANT


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
325 is a good price if it's done right. But be aware,it's not the holy grail, you still need to wash correctly and follow with correct drying. It still can swirl and rocks will still ding the car. It recharges well after washing iwth a spray on monthly called CarPro RELOAD.
+1 a lot of people misunderstand what OC.2 is. it is not a swirl proof coating. treat it like you would any paint. with some TLC

as for reload. i have seen vids and heard some great reviews on it. i want to try it one day along with the DLUX from car pro.
__________________
LIM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
Normagene

 
Normagene's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Plymouth, Mass
Posts: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCBimmer View Post
Pic 4
Mirror shine! That really looks good.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #14
ec1990

 
Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
you would want opti coat under the bra. its bascially another clear coat that beads water like a WAX/SEALANT



+1 a lot of people misunderstand what OC.2 is. it is not a swirl proof coating. treat it like you would any paint. with some TLC

as for reload. i have seen vids and heard some great reviews on it. i want to try it one day along with the DLUX from car pro.
How does the opti-coat work through the clear bra? I thought clear bra's were solid?

Although I could see someone getting it for uniformity and in case they ever take the bra off. But Opti-coat can be applied over a clear bra.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #15
LIM3
it's mind bottling..
 
LIM3's Avatar
 
Drives: I drive the green one
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: I live where you vacation. Miami FL
Posts: 5,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
How does the opti-coat work through the clear bra? I thought clear bra's were solid?

Although I could see someone getting it for uniformity and in case they ever take the bra off. But Opti-coat can be applied over a clear bra.
Clear bras are made of a clear vinyl film

Opti coat is a clear coat that hardens just like the CC on any car.
OC2 can't be applied to a vinyl film from what I've read.
__________________
LIM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #16
Cleancoupe
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 249
Pic 4 does have quite a shine too it! Definitely think I'm going to do the opti coat. Still up in the air about the bra.
Cleancoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #17
Glen e

 
Drives: Cyber/Red C7
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIM3 View Post
Clear bras are made of a clear vinyl film

Opti coat is a clear coat that hardens just like the CC on any car.
OC2 can't be applied to a vinyl film from what I've read.
correct, but like we all said above, it is a polymer clear coat but microscopic thin...not like adding more real "clear coat"
__________________
Glen
2LT C7 Cyber/Red
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:27 PM   #18
ec1990

 
Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleancoupe View Post
Pic 4 does have quite a shine too it! Definitely think I'm going to do the opti coat. Still up in the air about the bra.
The opti-coat is definitely good protection for the car but for areas with high probability of rock chips like the front bumper it's not going to do much against them. Your paint is roughly 100-200microns thick, opticoat adds 2 microns or 1% roughly, an xpel bra is 200 microns thick, so 100x thicker than opticoat and is extremely difficult to puncture.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #19
Cleancoupe
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
The opti-coat is definitely good protection for the car but for areas with high probability of rock chips like the front bumper it's not going to do much against them. Your paint is roughly 100-200microns thick, opticoat adds 2 microns or 1% roughly, an xpel bra is 200 microns thick, so 100x thicker than opticoat and is extremely difficult to puncture.
Oh I thought opticoat was thicker than that. The car isn't going to be driven daily & will be garaged plus I'm ontop of keeping her clean & waxed so maybe I won't do opticoat. Maybe I'll just check around with local installers about doing a clear bra for the bumper & other rock prone areas.
Cleancoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #20
Normagene

 
Normagene's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Plymouth, Mass
Posts: 2,151
The clear bra is the BEST protection you can get against rock/nicks chips. Opti-coat 2.0 is like having the best wax, even though its not a wax its like 100 coats of wax, but that won't stop nicks. Clear-bra is like a plastic wrap protecting the paint. Very difficult to chip or nick from normal road debris. Not bullet proof, but the BEST for the normal driving experience. Combine the two and I can't think of a better paint protection setup. Wish I had done the OC2.0 when I first got my clear-bra/car.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #21
Normagene

 
Normagene's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Plymouth, Mass
Posts: 2,151
You can checkout autogeek.net and they sell it for like seventy bucks. They also give a good description on how it works.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #22
Normagene

 
Normagene's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Plymouth, Mass
Posts: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCBimmer View Post
Have the same color ZL1 I have Suntek film on the whole hood. I have opticoated the entire vehicle except doors and hood. You will not regret the look. I have now done 3 cars. My wife has a 2013 Audi Q5 and Ram 1500 the Opticoat has held up well on all 3. I need to do my M5.
Did you do the Opti-coat2.0 yourself or have a pro? Why not the doors w/OC2.0?
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #23
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars
 
DuskSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 1,473
Have the clear bra as well as the entire car opticoated and it flat rocks.
Just California duster and spray wax to maintain on a daily basis.
Things wipe right off with no effort.

When I do wash its just so simple.
Best exterior mod ever.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Dual Mode Exhaust CAI Inc CAI
Lethal Racing Stage IV
510.7rwhp 477fpt
Oracle Lighting throughout
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #24
Normagene

 
Normagene's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Plymouth, Mass
Posts: 2,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskSS View Post
Have the clear bra as well as the entire car opticoated and it flat rocks.
Just California duster and spray wax to maintain on a daily basis.
Things wipe right off with no effort.

When I do wash its just so simple.
Best exterior mod ever.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Did you clear-bra first then OC2.0? Also the OC2.0 applied yourself or a pro? Post a pic when you get a chance. I think that is the best paint protection way to go.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #25
Glen e

 
Drives: Cyber/Red C7
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,930
OC2 on vinyl is worthless...you OC2 on everywhere the bra is not...I have done several. There is no protectant/wax/sealant put on the clear bra - or at least none that stick and don't wash right off...
__________________
Glen
2LT C7 Cyber/Red
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.