Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #2726
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I think if you told most people here that someones car had burned like that they'd assume it was me.

RJ, man, I can't imagine. You are easily one of the most passionate guys on the forum about modding your car. Even Bonnie said she's sick over this.

With all you've been through with it. From the pricks who keyed it, to the pic in your sig with the cop situation. A storied car here.

I suck at knowing what to say. I'm sorry this happened. Glad you are ok though.



Side note ..... did they not unplug the battery? How the heck did it restart?
Nope, they didn't unplug the battery. They did have to pry open the trunk though (yay for our cars not having a manual trunk trunk release - well one that you don't have to climb into the trunk to access).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post


They make chrome ones that are actually nice looking to mount.
Get a nice bracket so you can mount it right under the driver's seat


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
So sorry RJ for your loss :( You have been through a lot with Kaylee and have shown a lot of members here on the what's and how's on modding the Camaro. Like someone else said, something good will come out of this and your passion will be reignited again. I look forward to seeing what you do with your next car. (I see a 1LE in your future )
Possibly - all depends on how much insurance gives me.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #2727
lscamaro


 
lscamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 9,995
I'm so sorry for your loss. You're car was amazing! Hope everything goes well for you

I know this doesn't help but I kind of know what you're going through. My uncles Camaro caught on fire outside my house as well. It was a terrible day. Loved that car just as much as my own since I had helped him do a lot of work on it. Firefighters had to make a hole in the hood because the latch melted and couldn't be open. My uncle immediately unplugged the battery though. Don't know why the firefighters didn't on yours.

Any idea what happened?
__________________

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #2728
Firefighter


 
Firefighter's Avatar
 
Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tampa by way of Miami...
Posts: 2,378
Bro I hate to see that, she was a beautiful ride. I've been on many car fires and to be honest 99% of the time they will always be a total loss. I personally as a practice try to make sure the battery cables get cut. The Camaro will be a total PITA because the batt this in the trunk. I can also guarantee most people don't realize where it is either.

Again sorry for your loss and hope to see you come back strong with her replacement.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
__________________
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #2729
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,586
Dude I am SO SORRY to see this!!! Those pics are absolutely sickening. I can't even imagine how I'd feel if that happened to my car. Do you know what caused it? And yeah, installing a fire extinguisher is a seriously good idea. Gonna now look at doing that for mine.

The only good thing is no one got hurt physically. Hopefully your insurance company will give you enough to replace it.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #2730
tandtperformance
 
tandtperformance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2011 PACE CAR 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: frederick
Posts: 961
Send a message via Yahoo to tandtperformance
Man I am so sorry for you but I can't fix that one
But for real that sucks what happens that car was very nice and well kept I know you are upset
tandtperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #2731
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958
 
Camaro_Corvette's Avatar
 
Drives: Team 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 22,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post


They make chrome ones that are actually nice looking to mount.
Don't forget a fire resistant glove to pop the hood. Then run drills.
__________________
Camaro_Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #2732
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
I'm so sorry for your loss. You're car was amazing! Hope everything goes well for you

I know this doesn't help but I kind of know what you're going through. My uncles Camaro caught on fire outside my house as well. It was a terrible day. Loved that car just as much as my own since I had helped him do a lot of work on it. Firefighters had to make a hole in the hood because the latch melted and couldn't be open. My uncle immediately unplugged the battery though. Don't know why the firefighters didn't on yours.

Any idea what happened?
Still no idea, and honestly I'm trying to avoid obsessing over what the cause was because I figure that's probably not the healthiest thing for me (mentally speaking I mean) right now.

Which reminds me, my dad actually asked me about the hood and how the fire department got it off. Had to tell him that the hood was already gone by the time they got there - which means that it melted.

I had to look this next tid-bit up, but in order for my hood to have melted the fire had to exceed 1,221 degrees Fahrenheit (or 660.3 Celsius for you metric folks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Bro I hate to see that, she was a beautiful ride. I've been on many car fires and to be honest 99% of the time they will always be a total loss. I personally as a practice try to make sure the battery cables get cut. The Camaro will be a total PITA because the batt this in the trunk. I can also guarantee most people don't realize where it is either.

Again sorry for your loss and hope to see you come back strong with her replacement.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
Thank you much. Yea I'd be surprised if insurance didn't total her. I mean even if the frame isn't compromised, the amount of rewiring, etc. would be ridiculous.

I don't want to think of my next Camaro (yes I'm pretty much settled on getting another Camaro) as Kaylee's "replacement," because she can't be replaced. She was my first love, car love as it were, she will always have a place in my heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Dude I am SO SORRY to see this!!! Those pics are absolutely sickening. I can't even imagine how I'd feel if that happened to my car. Do you know what caused it? And yeah, installing a fire extinguisher is a seriously good idea. Gonna now look at doing that for mine.

The only good thing is no one got hurt physically. Hopefully your insurance company will give you enough to replace it.
Thank you much Doc. I can't express how much your, and everyone else's condolences mean to me. I don't want to imagine what shape I'd be in if I didn't have Camaro5 to help me through this. Heck, I started tearing up when I passed a Camaro going the other way on the highway earlier this morning.

What's worse is I bought a couple things from Alan at G3 Composites earlier this week - and well they arrived yesterday. Needless to say that was rough coming home to that.

Ive been crunching numbers, and a lot of it is guesstimating because I don't know what insurance is going to give me, but I'm fairly certain "replacing" her is going to be tough. Let alone replacing all of her mods - heck I'd been saving for about a 8 months to buy those Racing Brake rotors and I know insurance isn't going to give me their full value.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #2733
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandtperformance View Post
Man I am so sorry for you but I can't fix that one
But for real that sucks what happens that car was very nice and well kept I know you are upset
Thank you much Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Don't forget a fire resistant glove to pop the hood. Then run drills.
Good point - didn't think about that. Last thing I'd want is 3rd degree burns on my shifting hand.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #2734
lscamaro


 
lscamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 9,995
I'm 99.9% sure it's going to be declared a total loss by your insurance. My uncles car wasn't nearly as bad and it was declared a total loss. His was only contained to the engine bay and they said the same thing. The amount they would spend in replacing the motor and the amount they'd have to spend in rewiring wasn't worth it at all.
__________________

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #2735
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 11,658
Wow did not see this, as i told you from bad thing good things come hope you get the new car you want, love to see you in a ZL1 or the new C7, I say this for all the members on the site, any thing you need that we can help let us Know.
__________________
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #2736
bluetooth-ss

 
bluetooth-ss's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS A6 and 2005 TITAN
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 1,982
Sorry for your loss.
__________________
BLUETOOTH-SS
bluetooth-ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #2737
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Wow did not see this, as i told you from bad thing good things come hope you get the new car you want, love to see you in a ZL1 or the new C7, I say this for all the members on the site, any thing you need that we can help let us Know.
Like I said Ofer, it all comes down to what insurance gives me. I'd love to be able to swing a ZL1 - but from what people have been telling me about insurance reimbursing the cost of mods....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetooth-ss View Post
Sorry for your loss.
Thank you much.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #2738
tramtwo


 
tramtwo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,543
Ya know what I keep thinking? It may have been the only 5th Gen painted that color... i have an xtra cargo net when you're ready. :-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta
__________________
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #2739
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Ya know what I keep thinking? It may have been the only 5th Gen painted that color... i have an xtra cargo net when you're ready. :-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Haha thank you much tramtwo - probably will take you up on that. But yea, she was the only PBM 5th gen that I know of - was such a pretty color too.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #2740
Nathan Moreno


 
Nathan Moreno's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,028
OMG RJ!!! I really don't know what to say........


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
but from what people have been telling me about insurance reimbursing the cost of mods....

From reading your post about insurance reimbursement on mods, you've probably been told that unless the car was insured to cover the additional value of the mods, your probably not going to get reimbursed for anything other than the value of the car, which they will depreciate.

Which sucks because I know how hard you've worked scrimping and saving for every modification you have done. This really sucks!!!!

RJ, I want to see you be able to replace Kaylee but the reality is that it isn't going to happen with the insurance company!!!

You are definitely one of the nicest guys on this forum and are always looking to help anybody out. As a member of this Camaro5 community, we should help each other out when crap happens.

To the moderators, maybe you can create a thread and a dedicated Paypal account where we can each throw in whatever to help RJ out for his loss and put me in for $200.

And to the site vendors
, Please lets pull together and help RJ keep the spirit alive of Kaylee and help him piece back together a KILLER Camaro.

RJ, we won't be able to replace Kaylee and everything that she meant to you, but hopefully the Camaro5 family can pull together and help soften the loss somewhat.









.
Nathan Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:02 AM   #2741
Nathan Moreno


 
Nathan Moreno's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,028
Just PM'd Tran. I'm thinking I could call the editors of Camaro Performer and see if they can help in someway also. There was an article on Camaro Performer where a forum member from Lateral-g.net (site is dedicated mostly to first gen Camaros) was bamboozled by an unscrupulous builder who took all of his money and left him with a pile of $h!t. The community pulled together as a family and had the car transported from Washington to NY where another builder redid the car for him and the members contributed what ever they could to help out. A bunch of vendors also joined in.

Unfortunately, RJ could end up owing money to the bank by the time the insurance company does the pay out. I have seen this happen before. Never mind the idea of recouping any money for all the mods he did. So if we can all pull together and do a small part, hopefully we can help get him behind the wheels of another Camaro.






.
Nathan Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #2742
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
OMG RJ!!! I really don't know what to say........





From reading your post about insurance reimbursement on mods, you've probably been told that unless the car was insured to cover the additional value of the mods, your probably not going to get reimbursed for anything other than the value of the car, which they will depreciate.

Which sucks because I know how hard you've worked scrimping and saving for every modification you have done. This really sucks!!!!

RJ, I want to see you be able to replace Kaylee but the reality is that it isn't going to happen with the insurance company!!!

You are definitely one of the nicest guys on this forum and are always looking to help anybody out. As a member of this Camaro5 community, we should help each other out when crap happens.

To the moderators, maybe you can create a thread and a dedicated Paypal account where we can each throw in whatever to help RJ out for his loss and put me in for $200.

And to the site vendors
, Please lets pull together and help RJ keep the spirit alive of Kaylee and help him piece back together a KILLER Camaro.

RJ, we won't be able to replace Kaylee and everything that she meant to you, but hopefully the Camaro5 family can pull together and help soften the loss somewhat.









.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Just PM'd Tran. I'm thinking I could call the editors of Camaro Performer and see if they can help in someway also. There was an article on Camaro Performer where a forum member from Lateral-g.net (site is dedicated mostly to first gen Camaros) was bamboozled by an unscrupulous builder who took all of his money and left him with a pile of $h!t. The community pulled together as a family and had the car transported from Washington to NY where another builder redid the car for him and the members contributed what ever they could to help out. A bunch of vendors also joined in.

Unfortunately, RJ could end up owing money to the bank by the time the insurance company does the pay out. I have seen this happen before. Never mind the idea of recouping any money for all the mods he did. So if we can all pull together and do a small part, hopefully we can help get him behind the wheels of another Camaro.






.
Nathan - I honestly don't know what to say besides thank you. Seriously, first you put up with all my questions on how to clean up my engine bay and now this. Nathan, you're seriously going above and beyond. Thank you.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #2743
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,690
Stopped by the junk yard this morning to sign a vehicle release form so that GEICO can take the car when they are finished looking at her. Snapped some photos (caution: not for the faint of heart).







Thought this was kind of funny. The whole front end of the car is completely burned, but my Plasti-Dipped wheels don't have more than a few scuffs on them. So in case anyone was still wondering if Plasti-Dip was safe to use on your engine cove, I'm going to go with "Yes."












Apparently the towing company doesn't feel comfortable not having a fire extinguisher in my car either.








__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:50 AM   #2744
Firefighter


 
Firefighter's Avatar
 
Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tampa by way of Miami...
Posts: 2,378
That's brutal man. I feel so bad for you.

I got the run around when I totaled my Blazer X. I held strong and was able to come out okay but definitely didn't make money.

I had put about $20K in parts plus my labor over the years. She was a built motor away from being a total bad ass. I still have the spare engine and all kinds of parts. I was going to build the motor this summer.

I ended up with Roxy my '13 1LE. Hold strong and fight for what you deserve.

I'm in when a PayPal account get set up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
__________________
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #2745
tramtwo


 
tramtwo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: N'Awlinz
Posts: 6,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
OMG RJ!!! I really don't know what to say........





From reading your post about insurance reimbursement on mods, you've probably been told that unless the car was insured to cover the additional value of the mods, your probably not going to get reimbursed for anything other than the value of the car, which they will depreciate.

Which sucks because I know how hard you've worked scrimping and saving for every modification you have done. This really sucks!!!!

RJ, I want to see you be able to replace Kaylee but the reality is that it isn't going to happen with the insurance company!!!

You are definitely one of the nicest guys on this forum and are always looking to help anybody out. As a member of this Camaro5 community, we should help each other out when crap happens.

To the moderators, maybe you can create a thread and a dedicated Paypal account where we can each throw in whatever to help RJ out for his loss and put me in for $200.

And to the site vendors
, Please lets pull together and help RJ keep the spirit alive of Kaylee and help him piece back together a KILLER Camaro.

RJ, we won't be able to replace Kaylee and everything that she meant to you, but hopefully the Camaro5 family can pull together and help soften the loss somewhat.









.
Great idea I'm in.... not sure of the tax implications... probably have to 1099 the amount collected as income.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta
__________________
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #2746
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN
 
Jekyll-N-Hyde's Avatar
 
Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Between Weatherford and Azle TX hway730
Posts: 2,139
Im Sick to my stomach and a loss for words.

Reading the responses and looking at pictures now has my mind wondering on how something like this could very well happen.

I'm very very sorry for you loss. Glad youre ok!!!!!!

I hope everything works out for the best in your favor.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #2747
Nathan Moreno


 
Nathan Moreno's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Nathan - I honestly don't know what to say besides thank you. Seriously, first you put up with all my questions on how to clean up my engine bay and now this. Nathan, you're seriously going above and beyond. Thank you.
Seriously RJ?.............. thats the least I can do. The only reason this forum is so great is because of guys like you who are always willing to help out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
That's brutal man. I feel so bad for you.

I'm in when a PayPal account get set up.


Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Great idea I'm in....
Case in point! That's why I love this forum! Thanks guys!!!!

He is going to get Jacked by the insurance company as I've seen it happen many of times before. Justin and I have are insurance license and there's no way to win. RJ has a longer road ahead of him than he probably even realizes. If we each do a little, we can perhaps help him bridge the gap and get him back on the road to modding and posting DIY's on how to mod our Camaros.

Kaylee will be missed.
Nathan Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #2748
lscamaro


 
lscamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 9,995
I'm definitely in if a paypal gets setup
__________________

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #2749
Justin Moreno

 
Justin Moreno's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 413
I was in shock when i heard about this this morning. My heart sank seeing those pictures bro. Really sorry for the loss of the car. Thank God you got out safe and nobody was hurt.

I'm sure we all want to help out in whatever way we can, which makes the paypal idea a really good one. I'm in.

This thread was really great and fun to read about your adventures with Kaylee. On a positive note, I can't wait to follow you on your journey with your next Camaro.
Justin Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 01:35 PM   #2750
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,586
Looking at these pictures it just seems hard to believe something like this could happen like that. Although based on that one picture that shows an RB rotor, their rotors are designed to handle racing braking heat... try removing one and checking it out, they may still be good with some clean-up.

Do you know what actually caused it? Was it a fuel leak? Something get pulled up off the road and catch fire? I'm trying to figure out what could have happened to cause this. It actually hurts to look at those pictures. :(
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
aac, advanced automotive concepts, ashen gray metallic, bad@sszl1, black chrome, boom, build thread, carbon fiber, cotw, fireball, gen5diy, kaylee, pedders, phantom black metallic, sad, the stig, this guy needs a lithograph, zl1

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
OK...I'm starting a better V6 exhaust examples thread!! KMPrenger Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 557 09-07-2014 03:56 PM
Zabo's '00 T/A Build Thread CamaroSpike23 4th Generation Camaros 514 07-05-2013 11:26 AM
3rd Gen Camaro Street Stock build thread (dialup beware) zlathim 3rd Generation Camaros 7 02-19-2013 11:04 PM
Official AustinJames "Oh My Bad" Camaro Thread [COTW 1/2/12] austinjames Member Car Journals 201 01-04-2013 01:19 AM
Motorgen LA Invasion Videos (58) and Pics Thread SeanPlunk USA - California 5 05-31-2009 01:23 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.