Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #2751
kold

Drives: 2011 LS White Camaro
sorry to hear that ur car got burnt up but glad u made it out alive
kold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #2752
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
Very sorry. Horrible thing to have happen.
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #2753
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
That's brutal man. I feel so bad for you.

I got the run around when I totaled my Blazer X. I held strong and was able to come out okay but definitely didn't make money.

I had put about $20K in parts plus my labor over the years. She was a built motor away from being a total bad ass. I still have the spare engine and all kinds of parts. I was going to build the motor this summer.

I ended up with Roxy my '13 1LE. Hold strong and fight for what you deserve.

I'm in when a PayPal account get set up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
Thank you much man
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Great idea I'm in.... not sure of the tax implications... probably have to 1099 the amount collected as income.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Thank you. That's definitely good to know. Still have no idea how I would even go about setting up a PayPal for something like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
Im Sick to my stomach and a loss for words.

Reading the responses and looking at pictures now has my mind wondering on how something like this could very well happen.

I'm very very sorry for you loss. Glad youre ok!!!!!!

I hope everything works out for the best in your favor.
Thank you much, I'm hoping for the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Seriously RJ?.............. thats the least I can do. The only reason this forum is so great is because of guys like you who are always willing to help out.

Case in point! That's why I love this forum! Thanks guys!!!!

He is going to get Jacked by the insurance company as I've seen it happen many of times before. Justin and I have are insurance license and there's no way to win. RJ has a longer road ahead of him than he probably even realizes. If we each do a little, we can perhaps help him bridge the gap and get him back on the road to modding and posting DIY's on how to mod our Camaros.

Kaylee will be missed.
Thank you Nathan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
I'm definitely in if a paypal gets setup
Thank you much man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Moreno View Post
I was in shock when i heard about this this morning. My heart sank seeing those pictures bro. Really sorry for the loss of the car. Thank God you got out safe and nobody was hurt.

I'm sure we all want to help out in whatever way we can, which makes the paypal idea a really good one. I'm in.

This thread was really great and fun to read about your adventures with Kaylee. On a positive note, I can't wait to follow you on your journey with your next Camaro.
Thank you Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kold View Post
sorry to hear that ur car got burnt up but glad u made it out alive
As am I, don't want to imagine how much worse it could have been.
Quote:
Originally Posted by james347 View Post
Very sorry. Horrible thing to have happen.
Thank you much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Looking at these pictures it just seems hard to believe something like this could happen like that. Although based on that one picture that shows an RB rotor, their rotors are designed to handle racing braking heat... try removing one and checking it out, they may still be good with some clean-up.

Do you know what actually caused it? Was it a fuel leak? Something get pulled up off the road and catch fire? I'm trying to figure out what could have happened to cause this. It actually hurts to look at those pictures. :(
Still no idea, and I'm guessing insurance probably won't care enough to figure out the cause - they probably only care enough to figure out how much they need to pay me.

As for the Racing Brake rotors, this is the response I got from Warren:

Quote:
Without knowing how high the temp and how long the rotor was subject to which can affect the rotor shape / structure, I am sure you should understand why I can't give you a definite answer. The best practice is to visually examine them if any warpage and put them on the car again and drive around.
So basically the only way to tell would be to pull off all 4 rotors and inspect them one by one, then if they look "OK" I would have to put them on a car to see if they're still OK to drive.

I love Racing Brake don't get me wrong, they easily make the best rotor on the market for our cars - but I don't think I could in good conscience put these rotors on another camaro to "see" if they're still OK to use. It's just way too big of a gamble.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #2754
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Any time your set to go on paypal, we at gen5 are ready to help.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #2755
tramtwo

Drives: 2013 1LE
Start Here looks like you can just use your same account. Maybe the admin will let you put the donation button in your sig/ and or start a thread.

EDIT: I have web space if we need this hosted off site.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #2756
Bad@ssCamaro
Ist State Chevy Supporter

Drives: 1SS/1LE...in 2014
RJ, about the rotors, you could bring them to a machine shop and have them checked for warpage or a brake shop that has the capacity to turn them straight again. It's worth the effort IMO.
1976 LT Black/White 305 V8 (Bone Stock) except for Cragar chrome rims (yep - #2)
1985 Z-28 Black/Black 305 L69 M5(Bone Stock) I know: slow

Next Camaro:
CRT 1SS/RS/1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
CAFE STANDARDS! Get used to them or vote our electeds in Washington out of office...........
Bad@ssCamaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #2757
strych9
Nice rear end!

Drives: Not a Camaro
Man, I'm off the site for a week and find this. I'm sincerely sorry for the loss. The time you personally put into your mods and personalization of the car can never be recovered.

I hope that you at least get a fair shake from the insurance co. Best of luck to you.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #2758
FloppyJackson

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Post #2 "modding is an endless money pit" You should not take a dime from anyone as you recognize this as your own responsibility and liability. Sorry, but there are people in dire need all over this world, someone blows up their car and it shouldn't be a monetary priority for ANYONE. I am happy you have no injuries and have my sympathy for loosing an awesome car, but that's as far as it goes. You could afford all the mods, you can afford to replace it.
FloppyJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #2759
tramtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyJackson View Post
Post #2 "modding is an endless money pit" You should not take a dime from anyone as you recognize this as your own responsibility and liability. Sorry, but there are people in dire need all over this world, someone blows up their car and it shouldn't be a monetary priority for ANYONE. I am happy you have no injuries and have my sympathy for loosing an awesome car, but that's as far as it goes. You could afford all the mods, you can afford to replace it.
Button up your shirt wouldn't want your heart to fall out.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #2760
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
As many of you already know RJ's beloved Kaylee burned to the ground last week, and with all the mods done to it, he is sure to come up short with the insurance company. If you would like to help out, a donation button has been set up on Gen5DIY.com. Any help is greatly appreciated...
Old 06-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #2761
tramtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
As many of you already know RJ's beloved Kaylee burned to the ground last week, and with all the mods done to it, he is sure to come up short with the insurance company. If you would like to help out, a donation button has been set up on Gen5DIY.com. Any help is greatly appreciated...
Old 06-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #2762
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
Start Here looks like you can just use your same account. Maybe the admin will let you put the donation button in your sig/ and or start a thread.

EDIT: I have web space if we need this hosted off site.
Quote:
Thank you Ofer, seriously - thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloppyJackson View Post
Post #2 "modding is an endless money pit" You should not take a dime from anyone as you recognize this as your own responsibility and liability. Sorry, but there are people in dire need all over this world, someone blows up their car and it shouldn't be a monetary priority for ANYONE. I am happy you have no injuries and have my sympathy for loosing an awesome car, but that's as far as it goes. You could afford all the mods, you can afford to replace her.
I'm not going to argue that modding is a money pit, and I'm sure no one on this site would argue differently. That's the thing though, I'm not looking to replace Kaylee - I never even considered replacing her, why would I? If I could have this situation play out however I wanted, I'd want it to end with me getting the car that I spent three years pouring my heart, sweat, free weekends, and yes money into back. I'd want my last memory of driving her to not end with me having to scramble out of the driver's seat as flames were coming out from under the hood. I'd want to not get teary eyed whenever I pass a black camaro on the road. But, I can't have those things - and my main crutch for helping me through all of this? You guessed it, Camaro5. Even if no one actually donates anything, the fact that people even offered to makes me feel better.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #2763
CamaroSpike23
Mr. Nitpicky

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Well considering the first thought that went through my head when I saw flames coming out from under the hood was "**** - why didn't I ever install a fire extinguisher." Because I'm willing to bet that if I'd had a fire extinguisher the only things I would have to replace would be the intake manifold, hood, and maybe some of the engine bay wiring - compared to you know, the whole freaking car.

It only takes that 1% of the time you need it that makes lugging it around for the other 99% worth it.
Its like a condom or a gun. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
I am so very sorry my friend.

she'll be dearly missed.
Werd.

Quote:
Stopped by the junk yard this morning to sign a vehicle release form so that GEICO can take the car when they are finished looking at her. Snapped some photos (caution: not for the faint of heart).

Thought this was kind of funny. The whole front end of the car is completely burned, but my Plasti-Dipped wheels don't have more than a few scuffs on them. So in case anyone was still wondering if Plasti-Dip was safe to use on your engine cove, I'm going to go with "Yes."

Apparently the towing company doesn't feel comfortable not having a fire extinguisher in my car either.
that'll buff out. hope you can laugh a little about life's misfortunes buddy.

RJ, I've already texted you my thoughts and condolences. Keep your head up man.
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogwinters View Post
Read that link that Spike posted, it'll tell you everything you need to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #2764
UF4LIFE102SS
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 2 SS
Sorry to c!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hope u can get back with a new K!!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #2765
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
Its like a condom or a gun. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Werd.

that'll buff out. hope you can laugh a little about life's misfortunes buddy.

RJ, I've already texted you my thoughts and condolences. Keep your head up man.
Haha might need to break out the Severe Swirl and Haze Remover though
Old 06-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #2766
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Haha might need to break out the Severe Swirl and Haze Remover though
Very very severe
Old 06-04-2013, 12:06 AM   #2767
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
...Still no idea, and I'm guessing insurance probably won't care enough to figure out the cause - they probably only care enough to figure out how much they need to pay me.

....So basically the only way to tell would be to pull off all 4 rotors and inspect them one by one, then if they look "OK" I would have to put them on a car to see if they're still OK to drive.

I love Racing Brake don't get me wrong, they easily make the best rotor on the market for our cars - but I don't think I could in good conscience put these rotors on another camaro to "see" if they're still OK to use. It's just way too big of a gamble.
Well considering the cost of replacing them, it might be worth it to ship them to Warren and have him look them over. If they're no good he doesn't ship them back and that's that. If they are good that could save you a couple grand on your next project build starting with a 1LE from the insurance money you're going to get. A phoenix just might rise from the ashes out of all this.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #2768
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Very very severe
The Junkman can probably get her looking like new again right? I mean - he does have his very own YouTube channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Well considering the cost of replacing them, it might be worth it to ship them to Warren and have him look them over. If they're no good he doesn't ship them back and that's that. If they are good that could save you a couple grand on your next project build starting with a 1LE from the insurance money you're going to get. A phoenix just might rise from the ashes out of all this.
That's what I might do Doc. Only thing is, after having talked with insurance I'll get the choice of two options: car's a total loss and GEICO scraps it (i.e. they take Kaylee) or car is deemed totaled and given a salvage title (at which point I could keep her). So the predicament I'm in is is it better to take the salvage title and then remove whatever parts weren't consumed in the fire - possibly getting a better deal then if I took the "GEICO scraps her" deal.

Now the issue is - I don't know if most of the parts are still usable, and I won't know until I am able to ship them off to Warren (or Pete at Pedders for the coilovers). So I'd be rolling the dice - and I'm not really feeling particularly lucky at the moment.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #2769
ZooDad

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
RJ
Been following since the beginning witht the highs and lows but this stinks.
I share the comments everyone has stated.
With the amount of heat you said was needed to melt your hood I would really think about those other parts. In the end she can be replaced you can not glad you're ok.
Keith

via Galaxy 4S on TapaTalk 4
ZooDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #2770
The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooDad View Post
RJ
Been following since the beginning witht the highs and lows but this stinks.
I share the comments everyone has stated.
With the amount of heat you said was needed to melt your hood I would really think about those other parts. In the end she can be replaced you can not glad you're ok.
Keith

via Galaxy 4S on TapaTalk 4
Thank you much Keith, really appreciate all the help you've given me with everything.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #2771
The Stig

Just got off the phone with insurance - The adjuster looked at Kaylee, and needless to say she's a total loss. The rest of our conversation didn't go as well as I would have hoped...

GEICO: you said you did some modifications to the car?

me: yes, mostly cosmetic - but about 2 weeks ago I had new rotors and pads put on the car. I emailed you the receipt, along with all of my other receipts.

GEICO: Haven't checked my email yet as our system is updating currently. "I want to get you as much as I can, but let's say you put new interior panels on the car - they aren't going to add much, if anything, to the car's value. But if you put new rotors on as recent as you said you did, then they might, but say if you spent $1,000 on getting everything installed - it won't add $1,000 to the car."

me: Got it. Well I need to get back to work if that's alright, is there anything else you need from me?

GEICO: Nope. Talk to you soon Raimund *click*

me:
Old 06-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #2772
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Quote:
Done, thanks ofer

Quote:
Just got off the phone with insurance - The adjuster looked at Kaylee, and needless to say she's a total loss. The rest of our conversation didn't go as well as I would have hoped...

me: yes, mostly cosmetic - but about 2 weeks ago I had new rotors and pads put on the car. I emailed you the receipt, along with all of my other receipts.

GEICO: Haven't checked my email yet as our system is updating currently. "I want to get you as much as I can, but let's say you put new interior panels on the car - they aren't going to add much, if anything, to the car's value. But if you put new rotors on as recent as you said you did, then they might, but say if you spent $1,000 on getting everything installed - it won't add $1,000 to the car."

me: Got it. Well I need to get back to work if that's alright, is there anything else you need from me?

me:

Geeze man, you have my eyes tearing up at work. I know how much you love that car.

Ill do anything I can to help.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #2773
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
If it had been totaled in a wreck you'd have all kinds of stuff that could be parted out. Problem with a fire is not much is salvageable for parts. Print out everything you sent him in emails and hand it to him to make sure nothing is "overlooked" or missed. Request a statement of accounting as to how they arrive at whatever amount they say they're going to give you, and let them know you want that BEFORE they tell you the payoff amount. Do you own the title to the car? If not, then they may try and send a check to the title holder(s) to get out of the obligation as quickly as possible. He's already indicating they aren't going to give you what you want so make noise now about seeing how they calculate the settlement before they issue it.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #2774
kjkjr27
COTW 9/16/13

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro IOM
Quote:

me:

As with everyone else I will be able to help if I can.

Go figure though with insurance they are supper stingy when it comes to fixing or replacing something but they will take your money in a heartbeat when it comes to you paying higher rates. Hope everything works out in the end!
Old 06-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #2775
TCAT
SoCal HT5: [COTW 8/15/11]

Drives: 2011 SS SW LS3 T76 Turbocharged
Son of a bitch!!! You have to be kidding me. I always check in on your thread, and then I find this happens to you and the car. First of all, I'm really happy you are okay, and that alone is what matters. However, that doesn't eliminate the crazy sting you are feeling loosing your car. I know you put a ton of time, effort, money, and love building your car, and it was an amazing Camaro that has always been a favorite of mine. It's more than just a car regardless of what some car owners feel about their own car. I can't imagine how you feel right now, but keep your head up the best you can. I wish you the best man!

Tags
aac, advanced automotive concepts, ashen gray metallic, bad@sszl1, black chrome, boom, build thread, carbon fiber, cotw, fireball, gen5diy, kaylee, pedders, phantom black metallic, sad, the stig, this guy needs a lithograph, zl1