Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #1
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!
 
nyrfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 10,695
Unhappy I really need advice, what would you do?

Hello C5, I am coming to you all for help/advice!

My 2013 SS has had several issues since purchased in Nov 2012, luckily none seem to be major in nature. With that said I have invested and continue to invest (although not as much as I would like), into the car I love it and don’t want to get rid of it but it may come to that.

There are a couple of issues that have been fixed multiple times now, yet continue to be an issue. For instance a continual OnStar light on the frameless mirror, a loud/squeaky seat, MyLink issues and a couple of other small issues. There is also still a smell from the vents (some of you may have seen my post on this), but I "think" this may be diminishing and is really becoming an afterthought. At this point the seat is my biggest concern and then the OnStar issue. For the recored there is a TSB for the seat, that has been done, when that didn't work the entire seat was swapped, even that did not work. I know the seat may seem a bit trivial but having a squeaking/knocking seat while driving is quite annoying, especially since the car has less the 4K miles.

GM is involved and yesterday gave me a couple of options:
1- Give them another opportunity to repair the car to my satisfaction, if I agree they will send a field tech to supervise the repairs
2- GM buys back the vehicle
3- Trade the vehicle at market value and they’ll contribute a small amount to a new Camaro. As of the last offer I calculate I'd be out 3-4K if I went this route.

3 is not an option. No way will I lay out money to get into a new car. I did that the 1st time around (you'll read about this below), no way will I do it again.

I am leaning towards # 1 as I still love the car and have hopes all the issues will be resolved and I can begin to enjoy my car. I really cannot see myself in any other car!

But I am also thinking of going the buyback route as I am completely frustrated that the issues have not been corrected. Add to the fact I traded my V6 for the SS because it took 4 attempts to fix an oil leak at which point I lost confidence in the car. I lost money on this trade and now the new car is having issues, so you can probably see why I am really frustrated. If I go the buyback route that will be the end of the road for the Camaro and GM cars overall. I will never go back into another GM car should I go this route. Yes I know other manufactures have issues but right now my issue is with Chevy/GM.

So I am not sure what to do? This has put unneeded stress on my already stressful life. Would I be stupid to allow GM to attempt another fix? The only reason I am considering it is because I love the damn car so much but at the same time I cannot continue to have issues, especially issues that should be seemingly easy to repair.

So I guess I am looking for advice and words of encouragement. Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!
__________________
Soprano 4/1/00-6/14/11, Gone but NEVER forgotten!
FSP tuned: 377/389

Last edited by nyrfan; 06-05-2013 at 09:57 AM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
benji1997
 
benji1997's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 IOM 2LT/RS M6
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Dartmouth, Ma.
Posts: 443
Send a message via Skype™ to benji1997
As mentioned in another thread, I am having annoying Mylink issues. What may I ask are your Mylink issues?
__________________
2013 2LT/RS IOM M6 w/DUAL-MODE EXHAUST, BLADE WING SPOILER AND ZL/1 PERFORMANCE PEDALS
benji1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #3
toesuf94


 
toesuf94's Avatar
 
Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 4,742
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
I would go with Number 1 with the stipulation that if the fix fails, they buy it back and they get you a new car. (The way you wrote that, it would seem that with option number 3 you "Trade the vehicle at market value and they’ll contribute xxx to a new Camaro." means they pay the difference.)

Good luck.
__________________
Cars and women are both going to give you problems...but you can pay somebody else to fix your car!
toesuf94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
HaulnSS
2013 2SS/RS M6
 
HaulnSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 Dual Mode
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 204
My thought would be option 1, I assume the other options still are on the table if option 1 fails.
__________________

Hurst, Mojave Interior, 20% tint, Dual Mode Exhaust, ZL1 Splitter, ZL1 rockers, Blade spoiler, 3D Carbon rear quarter spats, CAI, Headers, M2W, catch can, apex scoop, LED DRL's, smoke side markers, billet aluminum SS emblems, Street Scene lower grill with scoops, BMR subframe connectors, lowering springs, bushings. USWForged 20" Crossover w Nitto 315/275
HaulnSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]
 
vroomapunk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NOLA
Posts: 6,105
I would go with #1, then if that doesnt work, id trade it in at market value + extra cash from them, and make the dealer give you a deal that leaves little to no out of your pocket (they have already made a ton of money off of your warranty work im sure).

Be sure you are familiar with lemon law limitations etc, so you dont lose that option from time passing
__________________
vroomapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!
 
nyrfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 10,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesuf94 View Post
I would go with Number 1 with the stipulation that if the fix fails, they buy it back and they get you a new car. (The way you wrote that, it would seem that with option number 3 you "Trade the vehicle at market value and they’ll contribute xxx to a new Camaro." means they pay the difference.)

Good luck.
Thanks, I have corrected # 3 to be more accurate as they would not pay the difference, only a small amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaulnSS View Post
My thought would be option 1, I assume the other options still are on the table if option 1 fails.
And yes, my assumption is 2 and or 3 would still be available to me should the fixes fail again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
I would go with #1, then if that doesnt work, id trade it in at market value + extra cash from them, and make the dealer give you a deal that leaves little to no out of your pocket (they have already made a ton of money off of your warranty work im sure)
The problem is if I go the trade route, the difference out of pocket after what they are offering would be about 3K-4K. I've have read about my States lemon law and still have plently of time if needed. I really, really hope in never comes to that and that this can be resolved directly between myself and GM.
__________________
Soprano 4/1/00-6/14/11, Gone but NEVER forgotten!
FSP tuned: 377/389
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things
 
Sir Nuke's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Corvette Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Southeast of Houston, Texas
Posts: 16,823
personally, I woulkd go with #1....and what I would do is to ensire that the Field Tech is there when you deliver the car to the dealer, and YOU and He/She go for a ride so that they can see the issies FIRST HAND, such that he will KNOW when it fixed to your satisfaction......and then if he/she can't accomplish that.....then #2 kicks in.
__________________
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
Hyena
 
Drives: 2013 1LT RS CRT
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Goodyear,AZ.
Posts: 96
i would find out how much they are willing to contribute to a new camaro then make a decision,just make sure you put it back to 100% stock condition as GM will not pay you for those aftermarket parts.
Hyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #9
Hannibal
 
Hannibal's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 527
Wow, what a let down. I've read all of your threads and understand why you're feeling the way that you do.

Like another poster has already said, give it one more try with a field tech and then a buy back would certainly be a fair final decision.

What car are you thinking about trying next? I ask because there are days when my SS acts up and I start to dream about an SRT8 Challenger.
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #10
caverman


 
caverman's Avatar
 
Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Join Date: May 2009
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,112
If they will try to fix and then if that doesn't work will do a buy back....why wouldn't you do that?

When they say buy back, are they going to pay off your note and then cut you a check for the difference of what you paid?
__________________
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
dwinva
 
dwinva's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 2SS/RSvert,CRT,dual-mode exhaust
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 314
If you really do like the car, go with option 1 with the stipulation that if it does not work then you will exercise option 2 (as another person wrote).

FYI..I picked my 2013 SS last July 5. On July 12 it was back at the dealer for 8 days due to an Onstar issue. They tried replacing three different modules before replacing the mirror, which solved the issue.

Are you happy with the dealer? Is going to another dealer an option?

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
dwinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #12
suzook

 
Drives: camaro
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Stony Brook,NY
Posts: 1,432
Wow, talk about bad luck. 2 lemons? Are these cars known to be so troublesome?
__________________
2016 2SS,A8,NAV,NPP,MAG Ride,Sunroof
Hyperblue/JetBlack
suzook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!
 
nyrfan's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 10,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
personally, I woulkd go with #1....and what I would do is to ensire that the Field Tech is there when you deliver the car to the dealer, and YOU and He/She go for a ride so that they can see the issies FIRST HAND, such that he will KNOW when it fixed to your satisfaction......and then if he/she can't accomplish that.....then #2 kicks in.
Good advice and I did tell the GM rep I would not drop the car off until the Field Tech was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena View Post
i would find out how much they are willing to contribute to a new camaro then make a decision,just make sure you put it back to 100% stock condition as GM will not pay you for those aftermarket parts.
I know the amount, and I'd be still short 3-4K on a trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
Wow, what a let down. I've read all of your threads and understand why you're feeling the way that you do.

Like another poster has already said, give it one more try with a field tech and then a buy back would certainly be a fair final decision.

What car are you thinking about trying next? I ask because there are days when my SS acts up and I start to dream about an SRT8 Challenger.
I am thinking the same car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
If they will try to fix and then if that doesn't work will do a buy back....why wouldn't you do that?

When they say buy back, are they going to pay off your note and then cut you a check for the difference of what you paid?
no note, so a straight buy back, check for car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwinva View Post
If you really do like the car, go with option 1 with the stipulation that if it does not work then you will exercise option 2 (as another person wrote).

FYI..I picked my 2013 SS last July 5. On July 12 it was back at the dealer for 8 days due to an Onstar issue. They tried replacing three different modules before replacing the mirror, which solved the issue.

Are you happy with the dealer? Is going to another dealer an option?

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
I happen to really like the SM at the dealer, he is a great guy, but maybe that is part of the problem. Maybe I am putting to much faith in his department because I happen to like him. Going to another dealer at this point would make little sense since GM would be sending a tech to supervise the repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Wow, talk about bad luck. 2 lemons? Are these cars known to be so troublesome?
The jury is still out if the 1st car was a lemon or just an incompetent mechanic. Allthough the latter seems to be the case from comments made by the SM.
__________________
Soprano 4/1/00-6/14/11, Gone but NEVER forgotten!
FSP tuned: 377/389

Last edited by nyrfan; 06-05-2013 at 09:29 AM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #14
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro
 
AmericanMuscleCars's Avatar
 
Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,722
I would go with option 1, thats because I love my car WAY too much. I would have them keep fixing it due to the fact that they will eventually get it, you can also get all mad at them and they might strip everything out and replace everything to cover all of the bases in the interior. I would see if they fixed it. If they didn't go to the dealer and tell them they need to fix it and you bought this car at a price point where this stuff shouldn't happen. Thats what I would say.
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
fbodfather

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.