Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Trunk Monkey Parts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #43
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: 2015 C7 Stingray Coupe - M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM....ZL1 View Post
I just recently watched a new zo6 run multiple 8.35's in the 1/8, and in my stock zed I ran a 7.88 my very first try. Now with just 2 g's I can run in the 7.5's and with practice and a good track I should be able to hit the 7.40's

Then that Z06 needs a driver mod. If you're basing an opinion that the ZL1 can manhandle a C6Z off those times hang on to your hat.

A C6Z in a good driver's hands will destroy a ZL1, stock vs stock.

Not hating, it's just true. 75 HP will not overcome half a ton of weight and the aerodynamics of a brick.
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #44
2SSRSinBama

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
What does you owning a LS1 with nitrous have to do with the price of tea in china? I could careless about what your track times are and if you can beat a ZL1 & ZR1. You just proved my point in my original post.

Fact of the matter is the ZL1 isn't to be taken lightly, period. For someone who isn't use to power its dangerous. The ZL1 is not a Chevrolet Sonic, Ford Fiesta, or a Miata.

I was just saying I don't think a low 12 second car merits a driving lesson from GM... I love the ZL1 but if the Zo6 comes with no driving school lesson, pretty sure they could skip it on the ZL1 as well, I have not driven a ZL1, not even a test drive, I have driven a family members Zo6 a couple of times(though just around the block and only one spirited drive, lol) and they are scary fast even bone stock like his

2010 Camaro SS L99... has a few mods
2SSRSinBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #45
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '02 SS 'Vert M6
Ouch.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #46
SPOOKYGUNNER
ROCK

Drives: 2013 ZL-1 TRIPLE BLACK VERT
Quote:
Originally Posted by firecross91 View Post
Makes me glad that I have owned the cars that I have. I've owned a drag prepped 64 Plymouth Fury that due to skinnies on the front and high HP made this car a handfull to handle. My 69 supercharged Vette was a dream to drive. It had old school handling though and you had to think ahead and manage speed and breaking accordingly. Both my 76 280Z and 2010 370Z where handling cars due to modified suspensions and limited HP. My ZL1 has great handling and impressive HP. I now have 580 RWHP and would really appreciate some professional driving lessons. Was going to go to Watkins Glen this weekend for those but the school was full.
GREW UP IN UPSTATE NY AND WOULD GLADLY TAKE DRIVING LESSONS BUT AM IN COLORADO. TOOK LESSONS ON MY HARLEY AND WOULD GLA DLY DO SAME ON ZL1
Old 06-06-2013, 03:51 PM   #47
Chief Bob

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 SIM CTF Car M6
Ouch!

Chief Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #48
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Honestly paper racing these cars have no bearing on real life. Any high HP rear drive car can be a handful.

I have seen 13 sec ZR1 1/4 mile passes. I does not mean the car is not fast. It means tire spin is a bitch. There are ZL1s running 11 sec passes stock and also ones running 13 sec passes.

The truth is after a certain amount of power in a specific chassis the issue is traction. The ZL1 makes far more power than the average car and traction is an issue. Turn off the nannies and slow roll one though a turn at 20 mile per hour then floor it. It could very well become one of these pictures. The car will do 150+ miles per hour in less than a mile. Drive like that on the street and have someone pull out in front of you. Those 6 pistons will not stop the massive crash.

Weight makes the 1/4 slower but does not remove the fact that the car has 580 HP that two tires are trying to deliver to the pavement.

I personally have downshifted to 3rd from 5th at 45 mph in PTM 4 and had the car spin the tires then go side ways. That was on a dry day, clean road and the car pointed straight.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #49
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I'm going to tell you guys how it goes. Chevy doesn't give the ZR1 drivers anything. A certain amount of money is factored into the price for a driving school. Matter of fact, because everything is based on percentages there is Chevy profit built in there too. So the ZR1 guys are paying for it, or were anyway. I'm sure none of them complained. So you can fork out your own dough and go to a school. Unfortunately last I looked, and its been a minute, there wasn't a school using ZL1's. So you could find a place to use your own car, use SS' s, or go big and go to a ZR1 school.

Or maybe there is a Miata school we can all go to, we'll each two cars and use them as roller skates.