Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes

V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes Intake, exhaust, tunes, other bolt-ons.

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #676
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
Silly Rangers Fan.... ooops, my Caps suck worse.....

Did you ever post pics of how you used the Camaro Vinyl I sent you????

My concerns are... I need no headaches or extra concerns of lights going off or a dead battery, it would tick me off, and I'd unplug it and waste $200.

I would feel so much better with an on/off switch. or a final solution. If I spend money, I expect satisfaction in return. I know he has his money back guarantee and may still make the move. Just worth waiting for, for me.

The AFM is only moderately annoying, so I am not in as huge of a hurry as some, plus it would be nice to end up on the highway for a simple cruise, and be able to reach down and flip it off, and without stopping, turn it back on.

Take care,

Jim
I never sent you an envelope so I never got any. By the time I remembered to send the envelope I figured they were all gone.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 06-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #677
njweatherman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
Hey everyone. I just ordered my AFM disabling product. This forum and Adam from Range have been very helpful. If I have any problems / issues, I'll post them here.
PS.
I have a 2013 Camaro
817556 Flowmaster Outlaw cat-back exhaust
Just ordered K&N Cold Air Intake 69-4519TP
njweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #678
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Allow me to answer as well, since I have asked for one...

On/off switch, I assume I could reach down and by touch alone, could turn it off or on, versus having to look down and visually find the port.

I could I assume actually be driving, and maybe getting on the highway for a long drive, and reach down to turn it off.

I DO worry about daily/repeated plugging and unplugging....

Not being snarky in return, what would it cost to add a switch?

Seems simple, but an an engineer I am not.

I am on the fence, don't need any lights or battery issues, as the AFM bothers me, but not as much as lights or a dead battery would.

Adam, thanks for this product, and thanks for your concern and continued work on it.

Jim

Heres my thought...im thinking of ordering an odb ext cable, wiring in a switch in that...cut power with switch on cable..which would be #16 pin...this sound ok to do Adam???
Old 06-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #679
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Heres my thought...im thinking of ordering an odb ext cable, wiring in a switch in that...cut power with switch on cable..which would be #16 pin...this sound ok to do Adam???
If you ever manage to get this done I'd be happy to pay you if you'd do one for me.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #680
San2cci

Drives: 2010 L99 2SS (20k miles)
I was considering wiring in a rocker switch. I have an extension cable now its just a matter of cutting and seeing if its possible for me to do. Ill let you guys know if I do it
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #681
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SROD View Post
ah no worries ADAM. I will still buy one! I can make an on/off switch if i really wanted to for the device. I have no problem just unplugging it. I support you guys, Heck, I'll even buy two just to do it! It is TOTALLY worth it!
So... what's holding you up? Buy one! (or two)
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Heritage Grille
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #682
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
The AFM is only moderately annoying, so I am not in as huge of a hurry as some, plus it would be nice to end up on the highway for a simple cruise, and be able to reach down and flip it off, and without stopping, turn it back on.
I have to tell you, Jim, (and you can read my review) that my tests have shown that having the device plugged in on that "simple cruise" will likely garner you better mpgs than allowing AFM to do its thing. The only way I can imagine AFM being a benefit for mpgs is if you are on a very flat road under ideal conditions. Otherwise, it is my opinion that your engine will be much less efficient hauling a 4K pound car up and down hills (even minor hills) with a 4 cylinder engine.

My MPG review: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=331
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Heritage Grille
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #683
SROD
THE ROD MAN

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS #631
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
So... what's holding you up? Buy one! (or two)
well right now I'm deployed in Afghanistan and so dar away from my beautiful car

I am holding off because I cant use it yet and if I orderd one (or two ) right now, it would sit for months and maybe a fellow C5 member could have had it and using it.
i kinda didn't want to screw someone else over if there was for some weird reason a shortage of this great product.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:48 PM   #684
crazyhorse

Drives: 2013 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam @ Range View Post
I'm not saying 100% that Range didn't play a part, but it would be very surprising in that short a time with how little we draw and the hard off. It might have been a combination of factors.

We're going to talk today about V2 vs. V3. We'll get back to you guys.

Adam
Adam how did this V2 vs. V3 discussion go? If we get a V2 we do not need a switch because it has an auto-hard-off so it won't drain the battery. And the lights are rare and don't matter anyway according to posts. I'd rather have a V2 and it seems like there are lots of guys posting I love my V1 on the OBD2 extension, I love my V2... Look I want the product - Sadly driving my 2004 Suburban V8 today was more enjoyable than waiting for AFM to alternate. I just think V1 or V2 is more of a plug it in and enjoy and don't worry solution -- no on off switches, no removing it from the port, no dead battery. Am I alone in this thinking?
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:49 PM   #685
Adam @ Range

Drives: 2011 Tahoe, 1971 Corvette
Quote:
Silly Rangers Fan.... ooops, my Caps suck worse.....

Did you ever post pics of how you used the Camaro Vinyl I sent you????

My concerns are... I need no headaches or extra concerns of lights going off or a dead battery, it would tick me off, and I'd unplug it and waste $200.

I would feel so much better with an on/off switch. or a final solution. If I spend money, I expect satisfaction in return. I know he has his money back guarantee and may still make the move. Just worth waiting for, for me.

Take care,

Jim
Jim:
This likely isn't for you.

Adam
Adam @ Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #686
Adam @ Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Adam how did this V2 vs. V3 discussion go? If we get a V2 we do not need a switch because it has an auto-hard-off so it won't drain the battery. And the lights are rare and don't matter anyway according to posts. I'd rather have a V2 and it seems like there are lots of guys posting I love my V1 on the OBD2 extension, I love my V2... Look I want the product - Sadly driving my 2004 Suburban V8 today was more enjoyable than waiting for AFM to alternate. I just think V1 or V2 is more of a plug it in and enjoy and don't worry solution -- no on off switches, no removing it from the port, no dead battery. Am I alone in this thinking?
Crazy:
No worries on a Suburban. You have a horse of a battery. Just don't leave it in with no driving longer than a week and you're good.

Adam
Old 06-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #687
crazyhorse

Sorry Adam I meant driving my 2004 V8 Suburban with no AFM on the engine was more enjoyable than driving my 2013 2SSRS Camaro with AFM. I take it you wont offer V2? Guys seem to really like V1s and V2s and I don't want to mess with the battery issue. I'd rather deal with very infrequent (if ever) lights by just taking my key out and restarting after a few. I want to leave it in my Camaro ALL THE TIME. I don't want to have to worry about remembering if Im away. That's why I was asking how your "We're going to talk today about V2 vs. V3. We'll get back to you guys" discussion went.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #688
Adam @ Range

Quote:
Sorry Adam I meant driving my 2004 V8 Suburban with no AFM on the engine was more enjoyable than driving my 2013 2SSRS Camaro with AFM. I take it you wont offer V2? Guys seem to really like V1s and V2s and I don't want to mess with the battery issue. I'd rather deal with very infrequent (if ever) lights by just taking my key out and restarting after a few. I want to leave it in my Camaro ALL THE TIME. I don't want to have to worry about remembering if Im away. That's why I was asking how your "We're going to talk today about V2 vs. V3. We'll get back to you guys" discussion went.
Crazy:
The difference is pretty negligible. Just like a radar detector, you should unplug it when not in use. The OBD II port is a power port like any other.

It's pretty difficult to get around a draw.

Adam
Old 06-08-2013, 01:48 AM   #689
SROD
THE ROD MAN

Keep up the good work Adam!
Old 06-08-2013, 05:11 AM   #690
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Get my drift people.

In a perfect world, everything would be perfect. I've said it once and I'll say it again, at best these issue are an inconvenience!

Maybe one day in the future Adam will find a solution and my bet is (in the short time I have dealt with him), he'll be sure to take care of everyone that requests to be. In the meantime I'll take a phantom light, or use my memory to pull the unit (if not driving for days) so I can enjoy this engine the way it way meant to be enjoyed and enjoy my exhaust without having it fart at be becasue of AFM. Oh and best part of all, keeping my warranty in tact!

Last edited by nyrfan; 06-08-2013 at 05:35 AM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:27 AM   #691
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
If you ever manage to get this done I'd be happy to pay you if you'd do one for me.
I just want to run it by adam, and get his thoughts. I dont want to make matters worse. Last night i got a service power steering notice pop up. Im trying to determine if i have ver2 or ver3
Old 06-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #692
crazyhorse

Adam if you won't sell V2s to those of us who are less concerned about the lights than the battery, maybe there is another solution and another product for you to sell. Could you sell alongside the range an option for a right angle extension, with a switch on pin 16? Would be boss. I'd rather just buy a V1 or V2 but if I can't, it seems like a right angle OBDII extension with a cool power switch you install would fix a lot of concerns and be a nice option and bring in some revenue. Could do what the V1 guy did who loved his setup, stick it in the door panel. To me it would be even better if the switch automatically went off with the car and had to be turned on after startup (forgetting to turn it on won't drain battery if on vacation while forgetting to turn it off will). And something along these lines from you with a switch I'm sure would look more professional than us with soldering guns.

What you guys/Adam think? This extension is $10, with a switch could be what $20, $25? Nice margin. (smiley face)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Right-Angl...-/200698192668

Old 06-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #693
Sftshldr
Beast Rider

Drives: 2013 Blk/Blk 1SS Auto
I wonder about whether or not the OBD II circuit would be compromised over time by the switched power suddenly being applied during normal driving conditions. In effect it is an electrical circuit spike. If anyone has the F-body manuals that tell when and where (what conditions I mean) the OBD II tool is installed with the car on and running by GM I would find the idea of a switched device in circuit easier to accept. I am concerned that more issues may be created by compromising the circuit during operating conditions. 2 cents.

"Just looking fast is sometimes all it takes!!!"
Visit Beast's album and garage for the mod list.
Sftshldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #694
crazyhorse

[QUOTE=Sftshldr;6639324]I've been watching this thread for a long time. This is posted to all the fence sitters and nay sayers.

I own a V1 and a 24" OBD II extender cable which allows me to "tuck" the Range Technology V8 Camaro Active Fuel Management (AFM) Disable Device into the "pocket" above and to the left of the drivers left foot (right hand drive).

I have never unplugged it since installing it.
I have not had a single instance of Christmas lights.
I have not had my battery go dead.

Yeah but you are lucky -- you have a V1. If I had a V1 I wouldn't be worried about the battery or switches either. I'd rather buy a V1 or V2 with no battery drain issues that the V3 has. Great idea on your setup by the way I think that sounds ideal --- V1, extension, tuck it somewhere
Old 06-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #695
crazyhorse

Sorry that was meant to quote Sftshldr from before (he has a V1, 24" extension, never had an issue). I messed up the quote thing -- sorry Sftshldr! BTW your car looks boss with black wheels.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #696
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sftshldr View Post
I've been watching this thread for a long time. This is posted to all the fence sitters and nay sayers.

I own a V1 and a 24" OBD II extender cable which allows me to "tuck" the Range Technology V8 Camaro Active Fuel Management (AFM) Disable Device into the "pocket" above and to the left of the drivers left foot (right hand drive).

I have never unplugged it since installing it.
I have not had a single instance of Christmas lights.
I have not had my battery go dead.

Yeah but you are lucky -- you have a V1. If I had a V1 I wouldn't be worried about the battery or switches either. I'd rather buy a V1 or V2 with no battery drain issues that the V3 has. Great idea on your setup by the way I think that sounds ideal --- V1, extension, tuck it somewhere
Just an fyi- Palmer has a V1 and his battery died, although that was after 8 days.

Also I am pretty sure the 1st guy to post about a dead battery had a V2.

I am only brining this up so people are aware there can be a potential drain with these versions as well.

Sent from my 2SS/RS

Last edited by nyrfan; 06-08-2013 at 02:15 PM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #697
crazyhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam @ Range View Post
Hey Palmer:
Your version should not drain the battery. The first two firmware versions have hard off logic. I've had my truck parked for 20 days. Started no problem.

The latest version will almost completely eliminate the lights problem. There is a small drain on the battery. If you plan to store your vehicle for 3-4 days, please remove the device.

We feel that this is the best compromise for AFM deactivation with no warranty concerns. Given that I answer most of the customer service calls (as some of you know) - I feel more comfortable eliminating the potential for CELs, etc. Most of the folks running our product are daily drivers, so battery doesn't seem to be a huge deal. Again, if you have the earlier firmware - you are welcome to keep it.

While we will continue to try to make our device better - we know now that we can't eliminate the lights without a bit of power draw. For those on the fence, this is likely as refined as we will be able to deliver. The power steering communication on this vehicle is just fickle.

Thanks again, guys. Lastly - we're bringing Summit on as a dealer and we will most likely have to sunset the CAMARO5 discount in order to maintain pricing. We probably only have 2 more weeks that we can offer that.

All the best,
Adam

I'd like to join others saying this sounds like an awesome product I hate AFM so much I considered a lemon-law return (Texas) but I knew I'd get nowhere.

I think Palmer said he had all 3 versions over time and the battery complaint was recent and I believe related to V3. I just want a V1 or V2 with the hard off logic Adam describes above.

Adam will you sell me a V2 with hard-off logic? Harmless lights that cycle out easily are less of an issue IMO than a battery.

Does anyone else think V2 sounds better than V3 or am I alone?
Old 06-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #698
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
I'd like to join others saying this sounds like an awesome product I hate AFM so much I considered a lemon-law return (Texas) but I knew I'd get nowhere.

I think Palmer said he had all 3 versions over time and the battery complaint was recent and I believe related to V3. I just want a V1 or V2 with the hard off logic Adam describes above.

Adam will you sell me a V2 with hard-off logic? Harmless lights that cycle out easily are less of an issue IMO than a battery.

Does anyone else think V2 sounds better than V3 or am I alone?
No Palmer only had V1, I have been doing testing and am the only one that had all 3 versions. But I will agree and said this earlier in the thread, V1 and V2 would be better for me, that's why I decided to keep V2.

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 06-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #699
SROD
THE ROD MAN

Did anyone make a video of them using the Range AFM?
Old 06-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #700
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SROD View Post
Did anyone make a video of them using the Range AFM?
A video? There is nothing to see, and nothing to hear other then the silenced farts.