Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Camaro 1LE Forum Camaro 1LE Package releated discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2013, 11:25 PM   #226
SSRS1LE
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 74
Install took about an hour. Getting the center console apart is a little bit of a pain. There's a good thread that has a lot of pictures on how to get the console apart for a different mod. I used that as a guide for disassembly: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77662

Once I had it disassembled, the Yaw-Sensor was bolted to the floor to the left of the hand-brake. I just removed and replaced.

As for truly knowing it only affects HSA, I suppose more time and data will be needed. From my observations, that the car starts with no warning lights or error messages (unlike the fuse-pull method I tried before). Hill Assist message never appears, and HSA never activates. Traction Control still kicks in under aggressive throttle, and ABS still works.

Thoroughly testing Stabilitrak would require somewhere other than the street I think. Maybe one of the track-regulars could give it a go, and post their findings.

Oh, and OzzySS, I'm still curious about the method you used to defeat HSA along with other electronic nannies as well.
__________________
____________________________________

Modifications: HSA Elimination - Cold Air Inductions Intake
Solo Performance Mach Cat Back - Skip-Shift Eliminator

Last edited by SSRS1LE; 06-08-2013 at 05:20 AM.
SSRS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #227
Combover
 
Combover's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS1LE View Post
Install took about an hour. There's a good thread that has a lot of pictures on how to get the console apart for a different mod. I used that as a guide for disassembly: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77662

Once I had it disassembled to that point, there was a plastic bracket underneath that had two screws in the back holding it to the floor. The Yaw-Sensor is under that.

As for truly knowing it only affects HSA, I suppose more time and data will be needed. From my observations, that the car starts with no warning lights or error messages (unlike the fuse-pull method I tried before). Hill Assist message never appears, and HSA never activates. Traction Control still kicks in under aggressive throttle, and ABS still works.

Thoroughly testing Stabilitrak would require somewhere other than the street I think. Maybe one of the track-regulars could give it a go, and post their findings.

Oh, and OzzySS, I'm still curious about the method you used to defeat HSA along with other electronic nannies as well.
Thanks a bunch
Combover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #228
OzzySS

 
OzzySS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE, 2004 Cavalier
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: PC, HI
Posts: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS1LE View Post
Install took about an hour. Getting the center console apart is a little bit of a pain. There's a good thread that has a lot of pictures on how to get the console apart for a different mod. I used that as a guide for disassembly: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77662

Once I had it disassembled, the Yaw-Sensor was bolted to the floor to the left of the hand-brake. I just removed and replaced.

As for truly knowing it only affects HSA, I suppose more time and data will be needed. From my observations, that the car starts with no warning lights or error messages (unlike the fuse-pull method I tried before). Hill Assist message never appears, and HSA never activates. Traction Control still kicks in under aggressive throttle, and ABS still works.

Thoroughly testing Stabilitrak would require somewhere other than the street I think. Maybe one of the track-regulars could give it a go, and post their findings.

Oh, and OzzySS, I'm still curious about the method you used to defeat HSA along with other electronic nannies as well.
Good to see initial indications are positive! Awesome

My uh..."disable method" involved a drill...
__________________
Build thread linked in the pic...


OzzySS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #229
SSRS1LE
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzySS View Post
Good to see initial indications are positive! Awesome

My uh..."disable method" involved a drill...
Okay now I'm really intrigued. lol

I have posted a DIY article for the sensor replacement here:

DIY: Disable 2013 HSA (Hill Start Assist)



__________________
____________________________________

Modifications: HSA Elimination - Cold Air Inductions Intake
Solo Performance Mach Cat Back - Skip-Shift Eliminator
SSRS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #230
Firefighter


 
Firefighter's Avatar
 
Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tampa by way of Miami...
Posts: 2,445
Now I assume you thought of this. And maybe the fact that the A6 doesn't use the same sensor. Is there any chance that it needs the longitudinal sensor for some thing like the stability control or some other system I know little about?

Just wondering.

Though it does sound like an easy enough project.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
__________________
Firefighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #231
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS1LE View Post
Thoroughly testing Stabilitrak would require somewhere other than the street I think. Maybe one of the track-regulars could give it a go, and post their findings.
Take in an autocross in the rain. Unlike NASCAR or the dragstrip, autocrosses don't get postponed or cancelled because of a little rain.


Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #232
SSRS1LE
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 74
I took apart the original sensor for those interested in seeing the guts.

There doesn't seem to be any moving parts that can easily be modified. I think some folks were expecting to see a giant pendulum that you could duct-tape in place. lol

__________________
____________________________________

Modifications: HSA Elimination - Cold Air Inductions Intake
Solo Performance Mach Cat Back - Skip-Shift Eliminator
SSRS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #233
Nick S

 
Nick S's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE / 2002 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Verona, WI
Posts: 893
Very cool! Thanks for being the pioneer in trying this work around! Definitely keep us updated on the observations of how it's working!

Nice detective work on finding a promising solution!
__________________

2013 Victory Red 2SS/1LE W/RS/NPP
2002 Bright Rally Red Camaro SS 6-speed Manual
Nick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #234
Combover
 
Combover's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
Very cool! Thanks for being the pioneer in trying this work around! Definitely keep us updated on the observations of how it's working!
+1
Combover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #235
Nick S

 
Nick S's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE / 2002 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Verona, WI
Posts: 893
I wonder how long any GM Engineers on the board have thought about the exact same possibility given that they would have probably known the YAW sensors were different between the manuals and autos. But I know they can't come on here and post the suggestion because of liability reasons. But I'm sure they were sitting back and eating popcorn waiting for someone to figure this out!
__________________

2013 Victory Red 2SS/1LE W/RS/NPP
2002 Bright Rally Red Camaro SS 6-speed Manual
Nick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #236
Firefighter


 
Firefighter's Avatar
 
Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tampa by way of Miami...
Posts: 2,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
I wonder how long any GM Engineers on the board have thought about the exact same possibility given that they would have probably known the YAW sensors were different between the manuals and autos. But I know they can't come on here and post the suggestion because of liability reasons. But I'm sure they were sitting back and eating popcorn waiting for someone to figure this out!


You know there were some phones ringing so they could figure out who won the office pool... lol
Firefighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #237
Allgrey
 
Allgrey's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 AGM/1SS/1LE/NPP/NAV
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Diego
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS1LE View Post
Okay now I'm really intrigued. lol

I have posted a DIY article for the sensor replacement here:

DIY: Disable 2013 HSA (Hill Start Assist)



So now for about $100 I can disable both of the ridiculous nannies (hsa and skip shift). Sweet. Honestly, the skip shift thing is okay by me because it's easy to disable and gas guzzler tax is much more expensive. The hsa though... occasionally I take advantage of it, but I am often annoyed by it rather than helped. However, I must admit, at 2700 miles it seems to be less intrusive than when the car was new. Either I'm used to it now, or it has calibrated itself.
Allgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #238
Combover
 
Combover's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 493
Waiting for the thread that says "Disable HSA for free in one hour" ---> disassemble console, remove sensor from floor, open sensor unit, cut wire lead x on circuit board, close sensor unit, reattach sensor to floor, reassemble console.

Thanks, SSR!
Combover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:00 PM   #239
Combover
 
Combover's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 493
This is making me wonder about the efficiency of the stability control system. If the automatic cars don't have the pitch control, then how does the stability control handle the car facing up or down on winding and hilly roads? Shouldn't the entire relative position of the car be taken into account and not just the yaw? The MT cars probably don't do any better if the pitch sensor is only for HSA.
Combover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #240
Milkdudd
 
Drives: Saturn XR V6
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS1LE View Post
Part number 13578326 on the right is the new sensor which lacks the longitudinal-accelerometer that triggers HSA.
Get 'em ordered quick, I think there could be a waiting list soon. Good work!
Milkdudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #241
newb

 
newb's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: hawaii
Posts: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combover View Post
This is making me wonder about the efficiency of the stability control system. If the automatic cars don't have the pitch control, then how does the stability control handle the car facing up or down on winding and hilly roads? Shouldn't the entire relative position of the car be taken into account and not just the yaw? The MT cars probably don't do any better if the pitch sensor is only for HSA.
Pitch has little to no impact on stability control. Stability controls job is to control lateral movement. Assuming all four tires are on the ground, the system can monitor slides based on wheel speed, steering angle and yaw. The pitch sensor, if tied to anything beyond HSA, would probably get in the way on hard acceleration. Hard acceleration on a slight incline would make the car think its flipping backwards. Can you imagine ST trying to fix that. Lol


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
__________________
Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #242
Michael2000
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS1LE View Post
Install took about an hour. Getting the center console apart is a little bit of a pain. There's a good thread that has a lot of pictures on how to get the console apart for a different mod. I used that as a guide for disassembly: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77662

Once I had it disassembled, the Yaw-Sensor was bolted to the floor to the left of the hand-brake. I just removed and replaced.

As for truly knowing it only affects HSA, I suppose more time and data will be needed. From my observations, that the car starts with no warning lights or error messages (unlike the fuse-pull method I tried before). Hill Assist message never appears, and HSA never activates. Traction Control still kicks in under aggressive throttle, and ABS still works.

Thoroughly testing Stabilitrak would require somewhere other than the street I think. Maybe one of the track-regulars could give it a go, and post their findings.

Oh, and OzzySS, I'm still curious about the method you used to defeat HSA along with other electronic nannies as well.
You are the man!!! What a great fix. You even used factory parts. I love this.

Michael
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #243
MPHS_AGM
 
MPHS_AGM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE AGM
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS1LE View Post
It worked! I installed the yaw-sensor used in automatic Camaros this evening, and have successfully banished the Hill-Nanny. Everything else works as normal.

Part number 13578326 on the right is the new sensor which lacks the longitudinal-accelerometer that triggers HSA.

Now Hill-Nanny can go live with Skip-Shift Nanny in exile.

Great work! I will be adding this part to my wish list! This is much easier than my thoughts about modifying the data stream on the fly.
__________________
Current:
2013 AGM 2SS/RS/1LE-NPP
Past:
2002 Z28 Navy Blue A4 [traded]
1996 Camaro V6 Black [traded]
MPHS_AGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:13 AM   #244
OzzySS

 
OzzySS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE, 2004 Cavalier
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: PC, HI
Posts: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS1LE View Post
Okay now I'm really intrigued. lol

I have posted a DIY article for the sensor replacement here:

DIY: Disable 2013 HSA (Hill Start Assist)



Lol...I accidentally hit it with my drill while I was installing my cupholder delete switchplate from emblempros...I'm sure you saw that the sensor is pretty much right underneath the bottom of the cupholder...oops.

So you were able to just do a direct swap? No codes being thrown or taking it to be flashed?
__________________
Build thread linked in the pic...


OzzySS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:40 AM   #245
t&t moyer
It's all hers.
 
t&t moyer's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' SS/RS 1LE / 09' Hayabusa
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Western NY / Kabul, Afghanistan
Posts: 602
I've already looked at a couple vendors that have them in stock. Says it's for a 10-12 Camaro, works for me I'm gonna give it a shot!!

__________________
Mods: New Era Cam package, New Era OTR CAI, FAST 102 intake, VMAX TB, Pfadt LT's w/HF cats, Powerbond 25% UD pulley.
t&t moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #246
SSRS1LE
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzySS View Post
Lol...I accidentally hit it with my drill while I was installing my cupholder delete switchplate from emblempros...I'm sure you saw that the sensor is pretty much right underneath the bottom of the cupholder...oops.

So you were able to just do a direct swap? No codes being thrown or taking it to be flashed?
That's correct. Direct swap, and the car started with no warning lights or messages.

I'm assuming the "drill" method resulted in ASR and TC lights, plus "Service Stabilitrak" message?
__________________
____________________________________

Modifications: HSA Elimination - Cold Air Inductions Intake
Solo Performance Mach Cat Back - Skip-Shift Eliminator
SSRS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #247
OzzySS

 
OzzySS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE, 2004 Cavalier
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: PC, HI
Posts: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS1LE View Post
That's correct. Direct swap, and the car started with no warning lights or messages.

I'm assuming the "drill" method resulted in ASR and TC lights, plus "Service Stabilitrak" message?
Haha, yeah...no nannies, no HSA, and the message when I start her up. Unfortunately I went ahead and ordered an identical replacement right after I figured it what I damaged. Considered the auto one, but figured I'd have to get the computer flashed if I went that route and didn't want to pay the dealer...
__________________
Build thread linked in the pic...


OzzySS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:34 PM   #248
fgg60
Sweet Annie!! BRM
 
fgg60's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 2SS/RS 1LE BRM NPP CF5
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bristol, CT
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRS1LE View Post
It worked! I installed the yaw-sensor used in automatic Camaros this evening, and have successfully banished the Hill-Nanny. Everything else works as normal.

Part number 13578326 on the right is the new sensor which lacks the longitudinal-accelerometer that triggers HSA.

Now Hill-Nanny can go live with Skip-Shift Nanny in exile.

Dude! You Are a Genius! That is freaking brilliant!! I GOTTA get me one of these!!! Thanks!!
__________________
FGG60 - (BRM 2SS 1LE) 1 of 70!!
fgg60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #249
One-Bad-ZL1
So easy to love Camaros
 
One-Bad-ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 VR #3457
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Marlborough, CT
Posts: 2,894
Send a message via Yahoo to One-Bad-ZL1
I'm calling my dealer tomorrow. Anyone got a good pic of where this thing in located in the console?
__________________

Last edited by One-Bad-ZL1; 06-11-2013 at 08:17 PM.
One-Bad-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #250
BadAndy
 
BadAndy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Irmo, SC
Posts: 132
Wrong part number...even though they showed on their site that it cross referenced to 13578326, it is not the same

Last edited by BadAndy; 06-15-2013 at 03:34 PM.
BadAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.