Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
Glen e

Drives: Cyber/Red C7
A quick use of Meg's and Blackfire..

A quick and painless job - and shows you you don't have to spend 6 hours getting decent gloss like I read about on many forums where it took all day of buffing and waxing....my neighbor bought a 2007 50K miles Hyundai sonata used, and the paint was in good shape with the prerequisite swirls and nicks but overall pretty good after we did a rinseless:

So he wanted my crystal seal, so I decided to do a quick polish doing the following. It is now 90 degrees in fla and we were in the sun, so any use of Meg's Ultimate Compound (UC) almost dried immediately on the hot surface. So here's what I did. I filled my Venus sprayer with BF waterless, and did a few passes with a nanoskin sponge and while still wet, used UC on a orange pad on a Griots orbital, as it was still wet from the sponge it worked great. An immediate buff off while still wet with a MF, yielded great results. A 15 min coat of Crystal Seal and we were done on an hour and the car looks really nice:

Later today we plan to go back with Merzerna FG400, wool pad and a flex rotary to clean up his bumper scratches...

Last edited by Glen e; 06-09-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Drives: Shinier than yours
You polished the entire car in 45 minutes?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #3
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6
Liar, you cant use otc products they don't work. Jk

I heard that ultimate compound has fillers that hide swirl marks and scratches. That might be why you corrected it so fast?

seriously great job though.
chicagobulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Glen e

I've never noticed the fillers in UC...I do find it pad dependent - if you want a fine polish use a soft pad, if you want a more aggressive polish use a hard pad like a LC orange pad....if there are any fillers we wiped them before the CS with a IPA wipedown (forgot that). Prdsonally I think UC is one of most versatile products I've ever used....
Old 06-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Glen e

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
You polished the entire car in 45 minutes?

easy in 45 min....me running the pad and my friend following with the buff off...the CS was another 15-20 min
Old 06-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
easy in 45 min....me running the pad and my friend following with the buff off...the CS was another 15-20 min
I've never heard of such a thing.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Now you have.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Tecca

Drives: ...
Quote:

I have so many issues but it is more of a personal one so I won't go into it.

Now my huge complaint is why in bleep did you put your MF over that dirty arse window with all those leaves.

Either way she looks good
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Glen e

I have no idea why you guys are so incredulous...it's a car that likely will never see another detail, we did no chrome or windows, the car still has nicks, all we did was a simple paint cleaning with the UC, and I did it for free.

I realize I'm not popular here, but believe me I'll manage and get along fine...and keep posting. I think being Anal about detailing is not my style, I got over that a long time ago. But my work is efficient and matches the job required.

And I own about 50 mf's....not concerned sbout where it sits on the car....just not the ground.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Quote:
I have no idea why you guys are so incredulous...it's a car that likely will never see another detail, we did no chrome or windows, the car still has nicks, all we did was a simple paint cleaning with the UC, and I did it for free.

I realize I'm not popular here, but believe me I'll manage and get along fine...and keep posting. I think being Anal about detailing is not my style, I got over that a long time ago. But my work is efficient and matches the job required.

And I own about 50 mf's....not concerned sbout where it sits on the car....just not the ground.
Jesus dude. Sorry to ask a question.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
Tecca

Drives: ...
Oh Man, first off my apologies, I didn't want to seem that I was getting mad or anything. Second really I don't know you, I have been absent from Camaro 5 for awhile. I applaud that you enjoy doing it as a lot of people just go to the car wash and let it air dry. As far as the MFs go and everything one thing I hate is when a leaf gets caught up in a towel, and your right I am anal about detailing. However I didn't want it to seam as an attack or looking down on you so I apologize for that. As long as you enjoy doing what you do is all that matters.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
camaro2ssblack

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS - Black on Black
Quote:

Glen I think you did a great job and I personally have enjoyed your input on the forum for the short time you've been around. Your car looks great and your product choices are sound. I completely agree about some of the peanut gallery, it definitely gets old always having your posts questioned by the detailing almighty...but keep them coming bro!
Old 06-09-2013, 12:07 PM   #13
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Is this the thread where you let it all out?
Old 06-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
flyinlow89
Smoke Alotapotomous

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:

Looks good for a quick job. Your neighbourhood was probably ecstatic.
Take the people on here with a grain of salt. Once there was a rendering of a 2015 mustang and a bunch of people complained it looked too much like an Aston Martin and too European. When I said it was progressive and that people said the same about the c5 corvette when it was introduced... I was basically told that what I said was the stupidest thing they ever heard and I was "retarded". I don't mean the "cosmetic maintenance" forum specifically but if assholes could fly, camaro5 would be an airport....
Old 06-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #15
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Agreed some of these guys think they have detailing super powers when in fact, we all have two hands.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #16
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Oh and if you guys ever need any help with detailing and are in the Chicago area, I have a random orbital and some m105 and m205. Ill help you guys I know alot about detailiing, we can do it in a painters booth as to not get one spec of dust on it. Lol
Old 06-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #17
ChadG

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro LS
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobulls View Post
Now you have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow89 View Post
Looks good for a quick job. Your neighbourhood was probably ecstatic.
Take the people on here with a grain of salt. Once there was a rendering of a 2015 mustang and a bunch of people complained it looked too much like an Aston Martin and too European. When I said it was progressive and that people said the same about the c5 corvette when it was introduced... I was basically told that what I said was the stupidest thing they ever heard and I was "retarded". I don't mean the "cosmetic maintenance" forum specifically but if assholes could fly, camaro5 would be an airport....
Quote:
Agreed some of these guys think they have detailing super powers when in fact, we all have two hands.
Well as someone who has no detailing superpowers this thread has at least made me chuckle this morning so thank you to everyone involved.

I'm definitely in the obsessive/compulsive camp and can't even wash my car in 45 minutes - so to be able to polish an entire care in 45 minutes blows my mind. You must have been running around the car!

I'm sure there's some happy medium where I should be able to let some things go or accept less than my best attempt at perfection but I just can't. Perfection is the enemy of good enough - and good enough is entirely dependent on an individuals perspective. OP like you said, your friends car is probably looking as good as it ever will and he should be thankful for any charity work.
ChadG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #18
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

I am very compulsive as well. But I don't act as if I am the world's greatest detailer......
Old 06-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #19
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster

Quote:
I am very compulsive as well. But I don't act as if I am the world's greatest detailer......
I don't think any of us here do.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #20
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:

And I don't think anyone in here actually replies with the intention of trying to tick someone off or show someone else up. If they do well there's the door.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #21
Haole
My K9 partner and me

Drives: 10 IOM SS
I agree take everything with grain of salt. I commented on a thread here about using "soft scrub" to clean my tires from time to time and did I ever hear about that. Whatever works for us might not work for others.

I do appreciate all the advice on products and techniques though.

So Mahalo to everyone for that.
Haole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #22
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Quote:

Good point although it's not how you think, its how some of us act.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #23
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec1990 View Post
And I don't think anyone in here actually replies with the intention of trying to tick someone off or show someone else up. If they do well there's the door.
Sometimes it seems like people do have the intention to show others how little they know compared to someone who prides themselves on compulsive detailing.

Basically try to make themselves feel better than the average detailer.

Read post #8
Old 06-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #24
Rick3452

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Orange, 6 speed leather
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2ssblack View Post
Glen I think you did a great job and I personally have enjoyed your input on the forum for the short time you've been around. Your car looks great and your product choices are sound. I completely agree about some of the peanut gallery, it definitely gets old always having your posts questioned by the detailing almighty...but keep them coming bro!
X 2 Glenn, I always enjoy your threads on THT as well!!
Rick3452 is offline   Reply With Quote