Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Lethal Racing
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
snymat68

Drives: '13 1LS M6, '72 VW Beetle M4 Resto.
Dumb Shop Accidents

Thought it might be interesting to start a thread about dumb things you've done in the garage, shop, etc. while working on a vehicle. Maybe we can learn from each others mistakes.

My list of notable mishaps:
1. Grabbed a hot brick with my bare hand (had been using it to weld on with a torch).
2. Sprayed myself in eyes with self-etching primer (was trying to adjust the fan-spray tip).
3. Lit my shorts on fire with a welding torch (same day as primer incident, that was a bad day).
4. Had a 12" "jobber" spade drill bit bend 90 degrees at the chuck, swing around, and almost cut open my stomach (it was slightly bent and I didn't notice until it was too late).
5. Cut the tip of my knuckle off while filing a sharp edge on a piece of sheet metal in the vice.
6. Tons of other random cuts, smashes, burns, etc.

What's everyone else's stories?
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
-Trigger-
USER

Drives: 1SS, 1968 Camaro V8 396
Taking the Cam Bearing Rings out of my Big Block with a dead Blow buddy says be careful last week I racked myself with a glance off the rod. Nah Im good "Hit edge of Rod then right into the ribs with a dead blow" That took my breath for a few seconds.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Ricamaro

Drives: RocketZed Red13
I try to remember image and sage advice of my HS Wood shop Teacher as he held up his hand to show a missing finger:

"a moment's inattention can cause a life time of misery"

No big disasters to share, fortunately.
I did once put a nice big slice through my jeans and knee when I used my bent knee as a surface to cut a length of Co-ax cable...

...I've never repeated that mistake
Ricamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
strych9
Gone Euro!

Drives: 6spd Manual Mercedes
In my former life, I was a pro Ford tech. This thread made me chuckle.

I won't bore you with the tiny details, but my two most notable blunders were:

1. Working under the dash of a Ranger pickup with a manual transmission, I had to access some wiring in the driver's side kick panel. The park brake was set, and the pedal was in my way. Not thinking, I released it...with my face in the way. POW! Right in the kisser. I saw stars.
2. Forgetting to relieve radiator pressure, I cut into a heater hose while staring directly at it. Got blasted with very warm (thankfully, not HOT) coolant, right in the face. The guys called me "slick" the rest of the day.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
newagemuscle
Philippians 4:13

Drives: SLP Supercharged LS3
This was a shop accident to my car not me.

About 20 years ago when I was a senior in high school I removed the intake on my 1986 Mustang GT... can't remember what is was doing. Anyways, I dropped a hose clamp down into the lower intake. I thought it just fell into the engine compartment somewhere so I just grapped another hose clamp and through everything back together. A day later I siezed the engine. Once the engine was pulled and disassembled it became obvious what had happened. I found the missing hose clamp smashed into my piston.

NOTE TO SELF: Always use blue painters tape on any openings to the internals of the engine when the intake is off. When I put my blower on my 5th Gen this was well embeded in my memory.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
Had a tire and whole assembly drop on my foot while helping a friend.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
RedRaven

Drives: 2012 2SS M6 CRT
When I was about 8 my dad had his '62 Chevy II Nova up on blocks (tires not frame) in the yard. He was pulling the tranny. He got so involved that just as he loosened the e-brake cable to get it out of the way he realized that was the only thing holdind the car on the blocks. He tried to roll over to get out before it came down, but it caught him side to side and separated the cartilage from between almost all his ribs. For weeks he said it only hurt when he breathed. I was standing there handing him tools and saw the whole thing. From then on he drilled into my brother and I to NEVER work under a car unless with jackstands and a solid surface. Funny thing was he was a pro mechanic and instructor.

First real car: 1968 Malibu, '67 283, Canary yellow
RedRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
snymat68

ouch
Old 06-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
1MULLET

Drives: 2002 2500 HD 9"lift, 2010 SS/RS
Cut half my nose almost off.....more like I butterflyed it polishing a headlight ring, buffer grabbed it and whipped it back at my face. No safety shield of anything. Looked like a murder scene. 18 stitches. Sucked real bad.
1MULLET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
JDP Tyler

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
When I was 16-17 I was changing some oil, drained the ATF instead and then put 3 more quarts of oil in the car. LOL a smokey mess that wouldn't move!

Another time I drained the oil, changed the filter, and filled her up without putting the drain plug back in.. There went 30 bucks worth of oil.. LOL

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Click HERE to send me a PM | Sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 888.308.6007
JDP Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
Stock6.0GTO
Under an ISX or DD15

Drives: GTO
At my work I've seen people forgetting the tire chalks under the driver axle lol The weirdest one I did was when I was lowering the lift was one of the locks held rather than releasing and the whole truck was at an angle!! Raies the lift back up and a little higher to get it off that lock. Nothing scarier than seeing a 25,000lb truck tilted on a lift
Old 06-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
MackMan
Camaro CRAZY

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
This is something simple, but it seems every time I open my fuse box to do something I leave it open and shut my hood. Now only 3rd fuse box cover........ they break in half very easily.. thankfully they're only $3 haha.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
snymat68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackMan View Post
This is something simple, but it seems every time I open my fuse box to do something I leave it open and shut my hood. Now only 3rd fuse box cover........ they break in half very easily.. thankfully they're only $3 haha.
I've almost done that twice in the 2 months I've had the car.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #14
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Left my wipers raised up for cleaning and tried to open the hood, not too bad, just two little marks, but won't forget that again.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
NYJets77

Drives: 2013 2LT/RS Summit White
this is more funny than dumb.

cut a 2x4 with a miter saw and forgot to attach the bag. my helper got a faceful of sawdust. I lol'd.
NYJets77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #16
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
replcing timing belt on father in laws pt cruiser and lowered the car down on a floor jack handle,straight through the right front fender
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
Didnt PQ have a lil accident regarding some wheel
Old 06-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #18
BBQdDude

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS
Installed a halo mod. After finishing wanted to back my car up so I could verify it worked correctly. Snow on the ground. When in reverse my foot slipped off of the clutch, car shot back and curled the drivers side door in FTL lol.
BBQdDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #19
2ss-booya

Drives: 2013 ZL1 CRT 6M
Send a message via Skype™ to 2ss-booya
After I was pretty much done wiping the wax off of my buddies car, he wanted to see how easy it was to use the portercable to apply wax (there was a small square left)....so he turns it on and was amazed how easy it is..........then he takes the pad off the car with portercable still on....sprays wax all over the car
2ss-booya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #20
Kelly@PCMofNC

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
My dumbest thing? I had just started at a new Dodge dealership as a line mechanic, I was the FNG. I had to go from one side of the shop to the other, and was on my little wheeled stool, so I pushed off from my lift and went rolling across the shop with my arms open, to be funny. I accidentally rolled over the grate, which caught my wheel and my stool, and I went flying. Yeah, hilarious...

Second dumbest thing, also at that dealership, I was probably 19 or so, and I had a pretty serious Snap On 3/8" drive air ratchet. I was working on a Dodge ram and was going to use it to loosen the caliper bolts for a brake job so I had my head in the wheel well up close and personal. The caliper bolt was stuck pretty good, so when I hit the button on the ratchet, it didn't break the bolt loose...the ratchet swung around and whacked me in the jaw, smacking my teeth shut over my tongue. Had to leave work losing like a pint of blood/minute...

Oh, those were the days...thank heavens I'm a little older and wiser now!

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Parts & Installs - Dyno Tuning - Mail Order Tuning
704-307-4227
Kelly@PCMofNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:54 AM   #21
Stock6.0GTO
Under an ISX or DD15

Drives: GTO
^Sounds like it was seized!!! I had a trans level plug that is only supposed to be 55ftlbs wednesday needing a 1/2 air gun to get it off . . . someone tightened that a little too much!!!!
Old 06-07-2013, 03:06 AM   #22
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I had some spray paint I wanted to test the color of. So, grab my can, raise a piece of paper in the air, spray away. Color was dead on the orange I needed

Pulled the paper down, went to my car, covered in orange over spray
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #23
heRS

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Hubby was just out in the shop moving his vice from where it was to a steel pipe embedded in concrete with a 1/4" steel plate welded to the top of it. He was trying to get the bolt through the hole he'd drilled and spent like 45 minutes trying to clear a path through a welded spot for his bolt to hold the vice on the plate. I come along and ask him what he's doing and he explains.... I ask him - 'can you put the bolt in the other way and put the nut on top?"
Of course it works... and he's just been busting his knuckles trying to make it work the other way. What hurts the most is when your wife points out an easy fix for your miserably difficult task

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:51 AM   #24
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
Hubby was just out in the shop moving his vice from where it was to a steel pipe embedded in concrete with a 1/4" steel plate welded to the top of it. He was trying to get the bolt through the hole he'd drilled and spent like 45 minutes trying to clear a path through a welded spot for his bolt to hold the vice on the plate. I come along and ask him what he's doing and he explains.... I ask him - 'can you put the bolt in the other way and put the nut on top?"
Of course it works... and he's just been busting his knuckles trying to make it work the other way. What hurts the most is when your wife points out an easy fix for your miserably difficult task
Hmmmm are you sure you're the wife in the relationship?
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote