Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
RDP Motorsport
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
BeardWS6
 
BeardWS6's Avatar
 
Drives: 01 WS6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 206
Meth/Chiller question

If I`m running a meth system do I really need a super chiller? What do they cost?
__________________
2013 Red ZL1 Auto
705rwhp 694rwtrq-"1NASTYZ"
BeardWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Matt@510
Account Suspended
 
Drives: c6 vette cam & full bolt-ons
Join Date: May 2013
Location: houston
Posts: 240
A chiller system is not needed. it could help especially here in texas. anything to help cool the air going in the motor will certainly help. what other mods do you have besides the meth kit? have you upgraded the heat exchanger?
Matt@510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
SC2150
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 6,081
Since you asked for the price, we can post it. $899 for the RX system.

We quite often use both meth with the chiller, but you can add as big of a HE as you want and your still dependant upon ambient air temps, and the added weight. A good sized coolant tank is a must, but with the RX superchiller, we are cooling your HE coolant temp down 30-50-60* F below ambient air temp so there is no other way to get it that cool, and keep it that cool.

In the old days with heads up FI cars we would put 100-200#'s of ice in a tank in the trunk, but it only lasted 1-2 runs and every 100# is app a tenth in the 1/4 mile. The chiller works best in desert low humidity climates and is cooling at all times to reduce fatigue on the blower and other components as well as allowing full timing advance. Then when you go to the track, flip the competition mode switch and the cabin AC turns off so no moisture is extracted from the cabin air to drip on the track, and all Freon is diverted to the chiller for even more cooling.

Just watch the video:

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
BeardWS6
 
BeardWS6's Avatar
 
Drives: 01 WS6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 206
1. Roto Fab Cold Air Kit
2. ZL1 Custom Heat Exchanger with dual fans
3. Metco Motorsports 9.1" lower pulley ( includes innovators west damper)
4. Metco Motorsports 2.5" blower pulley
5. Cam specs 227/242/520/590/122+6.
6. .675 lift double valve spring kit with Ti Retainers
7. Comp cam pushrods
8. 160 degree thermostat
9. solid isolater
10. Kooks 1 7/8" headers with Catted Connection pipe
11. Metco 50 MM Idler pulley
12. Blower belt
13. Ported mouth, ported blower, snout, throttle body
14. MSD wires and NGK TR7IX spark plugs
15. Alky Control Meth injection kit
16. ID 850 fuel Injectors
I`m making 705rwhp 694trq at the wheels with a auto. I`m still stock block and heads for now.. Car runs like a beast..
__________________
2013 Red ZL1 Auto
705rwhp 694rwtrq-"1NASTYZ"
BeardWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Trackman

 
Trackman's Avatar
 
Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alberta
Posts: 846
Those are awesome numbers if that is on a safe pump gas tune!
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
BeardWS6
 
BeardWS6's Avatar
 
Drives: 01 WS6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
Those are awesome numbers if that is on a safe pump gas tune!
Yes, the car is amazing bro!
__________________
2013 Red ZL1 Auto
705rwhp 694rwtrq-"1NASTYZ"
BeardWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
SC2150
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bradenton, FL
Posts: 6,081
VERY impressive!!!
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature
 
Drives: Mini Cooper S
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central FL
Posts: 2,307
I had a chiller on my Maggie SS but then it developed a small leak around one of the o rings. I then had to drive all the way to the St Pete area which is roughly a two hour, one way drive for me. The installer fixed the leak but I just had him put the car's A/C system back to stock. Having the system was nice but it wasn't worth trashing my car's A/C system's warranty.
__________________
bumblebeecamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
thespymaster


 
thespymaster's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: G4 CLASSIFIED
Posts: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Since you asked for the price, we can post it. $899 for the RX system.

We quite often use both meth with the chiller, but you can add as big of a HE as you want and your still dependant upon ambient air temps, and the added weight. A good sized coolant tank is a must, but with the RX superchiller, we are cooling your HE coolant temp down 30-50-60* F below ambient air temp so there is no other way to get it that cool, and keep it that cool.

In the old days with heads up FI cars we would put 100-200#'s of ice in a tank in the trunk, but it only lasted 1-2 runs and every 100# is app a tenth in the 1/4 mile. The chiller works best in desert low humidity climates and is cooling at all times to reduce fatigue on the blower and other components as well as allowing full timing advance. Then when you go to the track, flip the competition mode switch and the cabin AC turns off so no moisture is extracted from the cabin air to drip on the track, and all Freon is diverted to the chiller for even more cooling.

Just watch the video:


This is my next MOD for sure!
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
the rich dude

 
Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardWS6 View Post
1. Roto Fab Cold Air Kit
2. ZL1 Custom Heat Exchanger with dual fans
3. Metco Motorsports 9.1" lower pulley ( includes innovators west damper)
4. Metco Motorsports 2.5" blower pulley
5. Cam specs 227/242/520/590/122+6.
6. .675 lift double valve spring kit with Ti Retainers
7. Comp cam pushrods
8. 160 degree thermostat
9. solid isolater
10. Kooks 1 7/8" headers with Catted Connection pipe
11. Metco 50 MM Idler pulley
12. Blower belt
13. Ported mouth, ported blower, snout, throttle body
14. MSD wires and NGK TR7IX spark plugs
15. Alky Control Meth injection kit
16. ID 850 fuel Injectors
I`m making 705rwhp 694trq at the wheels with a auto. I`m still stock block and heads for now.. Car runs like a beast..
is that with the stock fuel pump?
also did u do any dyno numbers without the meth kit?
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
the rich dude

 
Drives: Getting 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
VERY impressive!!!
whats involved with installing the super chiller?? I'm guessing a a/c guy needs to do the install? thanks
the rich dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #12
BeardWS6
 
BeardWS6's Avatar
 
Drives: 01 WS6
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rich dude View Post
is that with the stock fuel pump?
also did u do any dyno numbers without the meth kit?

Stock fuel pump, I didn`t think to get them to dyno without the meth kit. Mike said if I do heads I need to get a fuel system with it also. I see no reason for heads since it`s a low 10`s car already and it`s tough to hook up even with the 315 nitto`s. But she is amazing to drive, just like stock until you drop the hammer! Then the Beast comes alive..
__________________
2013 Red ZL1 Auto
705rwhp 694rwtrq-"1NASTYZ"
BeardWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #13
Trackman

 
Trackman's Avatar
 
Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Alberta
Posts: 846
You should post your low 10 time slip and get added to the fast list.
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #14
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman View Post
You should post your low 10 time slip and get added to the fast list.
Ha, yeah, no shit. Everyone and there cousin with a 700 HP car says it goes 10's. It doesn't go low 10's until it actually goes low 10's!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #15
joes407


 
joes407's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: florida
Posts: 2,353
ive got 1 year and about 14k miles on my rx/chiller with no issues. I never see an iat of over 85 degrees and here in florida that's awesome. I stay at a minimum of 5 - 10 degrees below the outdoor ambient temp and from the factory I saw temps well over 120 degrees
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.