Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
rich3fan
What's this button do?
 
rich3fan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Wylie, Texas
Posts: 1,200
Shelf Life of Clay Lube?

I've had a spray bottle of Clay Magic lube in my cabinet in the house for about ten years along with the bar, still sealed. I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to use the bar, but should I use the lube? The only other option I have right now is to use Adam's detail spray. I've read CamaroDreams07's Comprehensive Product Recommendation Guide (thank you for that), and I read where, even though it can be used for that purpose, there are cheaper alternatives. So, if no to the CM lube, what can I get at a local Autozone that will work? The weather tomorrow morning is going to be perfect for this job, so that's when I plan on starting the process. Thanks!
__________________
2013 SIM 2SS/RS - LGM Super Pro headers w/3" catback - Circle D Pro 1E - ADM Race Intake w/ADM Scoop - BWPTB - Elite Catch Can - Peak HP: 373/Peak TQ: 375
rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
Glen e

 
Drives: Cyber/Red C7
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 1,975
any quik detailer will work..but it's a great reason to have Optimum No Rinse (ONR) on your shelf as it can be a rinseless mix, a lube mix or a quik detail mix dpending on how you dilute it...
__________________
Glen
2LT C7 Cyber/Red
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
joeybsyc

 
joeybsyc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 1,578
It'll work fine... that Clay Magic is some of the best clay ever too... I still use some that's probably older than yours.
__________________
joeybsyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
MMC

 
MMC's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spencerport, NY
Posts: 871
Mothers detail spray comes in the Mothers kit with the clay.
__________________
MMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
axis
Search Ninja
 
axis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central Ark
Posts: 7,190
Any detail spray will work fine. The meguiars clay kit comes with a bottle of their detail spray for the lube. I'm sure Mothers is the same.
__________________
2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Halltech CF 102 fed
GPI modded intake manifold
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
rich3fan
What's this button do?
 
rich3fan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Wylie, Texas
Posts: 1,200
Thanks. Since I don't need another Clay bar, I'll get some ONR ordered from Autopia (hope the lid's on tight ) and use my Adams detail spray this time around. Just something about having product around for 10+ years leaves me somewhat skeptical about its effectiveness.
__________________
2013 SIM 2SS/RS - LGM Super Pro headers w/3" catback - Circle D Pro 1E - ADM Race Intake w/ADM Scoop - BWPTB - Elite Catch Can - Peak HP: 373/Peak TQ: 375
rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
rich3fan
What's this button do?
 
rich3fan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Wylie, Texas
Posts: 1,200
Well I think I should've been just as skeptical of the clay bar as the lube. Even though it was still in its original wrapping, first thing I noticed when I open it the corners of the bar were hard, but after about 15 minutes of kneading and adding some detail spray, it seemed as though it returned to the pliability I was expecting. So, I started on the front fascia after the dawn bath and wiping with more detail spray and everything seemed to go well. Very smooth surface and good wet look to the clearcoat. Fine so far and then I decided to work the hood over. This time I followed what I saw on a video where you go back-n-forth and side to side with not a lot of pressure. Everything seemed okay there as well, but after I washed the car with Adams car wash soap, dried with the waffle weave drying towel and some detail spray, the finish was not smooth at all. Doesn't seem like it was clayed. I noticed in the video where Adam said if the clay bar is sticky, it's effectively dead. Well, mine was sticky but I thought that amount of stickiness was just because there was no lube on it. I'm beginning to think the front fascia came out okay because I was bearing down on it as I have a tendency to do that, whether I'm washing or waxing (bad habit that I'm trying to break because it's not necessary anymore) but I made a point to go easy on the hood. So, do you think my clay bar failed? Time to chuck it?
__________________
2013 SIM 2SS/RS - LGM Super Pro headers w/3" catback - Circle D Pro 1E - ADM Race Intake w/ADM Scoop - BWPTB - Elite Catch Can - Peak HP: 373/Peak TQ: 375
rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster
 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Shinier than yours
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 9,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsBroke View Post
Well I think I should've been just as skeptical of the clay bar as the lube. Even though it was still in its original wrapping, first thing I noticed when I open it the corners of the bar were hard, but after about 15 minutes of kneading and adding some detail spray, it seemed as though it returned to the pliability I was expecting. So, I started on the front fascia after the dawn bath and wiping with more detail spray and everything seemed to go well. Very smooth surface and good wet look to the clearcoat. Fine so far and then I decided to work the hood over. This time I followed what I saw on a video where you go back-n-forth and side to side with not a lot of pressure. Everything seemed okay there as well, but after I washed the car with Adams car wash soap, dried with the waffle weave drying towel and some detail spray, the finish was not smooth at all. Doesn't seem like it was clayed. I noticed in the video where Adam said if the clay bar is sticky, it's effectively dead. Well, mine was sticky but I thought that amount of stickiness was just because there was no lube on it. I'm beginning to think the front fascia came out okay because I was bearing down on it as I have a tendency to do that, whether I'm washing or waxing (bad habit that I'm trying to break because it's not necessary anymore) but I made a point to go easy on the hood. So, do you think my clay bar failed? Time to chuck it?
Clay requires you to put some elbow grease on it. Don't be afraid to bear down a little with it and apply some pressure (within reason, don't be grunting like a Williams sister). As long as you have enough lube, you won't do any damage.

As far as the stickiness, I haven't heard that before. Go get a brand new claybar from Mother's and unwrap it. It's very sticky and IMO, works extremely well.

If I were you, I'd chuck the clay for good and get one of the new clay replacements such as the Speedy Prep towel, or the Nanoskin sponge or towel.
__________________
Find my reviews helpful? Consider making a donation to the supply/beer fund
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
Chubby
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Busted
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Home
Posts: 104
If its sticky its too warm and not enough lube.

I use a diluted mixture of water and dawn soap. Of course I do a full wax/polish after.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
rich3fan
What's this button do?
 
rich3fan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SIM 2SS/RS L99
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Wylie, Texas
Posts: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Clay requires you to put some elbow grease on it. Don't be afraid to bear down a little with it and apply some pressure (within reason, don't be grunting like a Williams sister). As long as you have enough lube, you won't do any damage.

As far as the stickiness, I haven't heard that before. Go get a brand new claybar from Mother's and unwrap it. It's very sticky and IMO, works extremely well.

If I were you, I'd chuck the clay for good and get one of the new clay replacements such as the Speedy Prep towel, or the Nanoskin sponge or towel.
Thanks CD07 (<--- hope you don't mind) I think to finish up the job I'll stop in Autozone and pick up a Mother's clay kit, and add the surface prep towel to my Autopia cart (it's starting to fill up)

"(within reason, don't be grunting like a Williams sister)" Were you watching the French open this weekend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
If its sticky its too warm and not enough lube.

I use a diluted mixture of water and dawn soap. Of course I do a full wax/polish after.
Chubby!
__________________
2013 SIM 2SS/RS - LGM Super Pro headers w/3" catback - Circle D Pro 1E - ADM Race Intake w/ADM Scoop - BWPTB - Elite Catch Can - Peak HP: 373/Peak TQ: 375
rich3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
CamaroDreams07
Black Belt Shinemaster
 
CamaroDreams07's Avatar
 
Drives: Shinier than yours
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 9,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsBroke View Post
Thanks CD07 (<--- hope you don't mind) I think to finish up the job I'll stop in Autozone and pick up a Mother's clay kit, and add the surface prep towel to my Autopia cart (it's starting to fill up)

"(within reason, don't be grunting like a Williams sister)" Were you watching the French open this weekend?


Chubby!
Lol no. I don't watch Tennis, but those Williams sisters (brothers?) scare the hell out of me.
__________________
Find my reviews helpful? Consider making a donation to the supply/beer fund
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
Chubby
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Busted
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Home
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsBroke View Post
Thanks CD07 (<--- hope you don't mind) I think to finish up the job I'll stop in Autozone and pick up a Mother's clay kit, and add the surface prep towel to my Autopia cart (it's starting to fill up)

"(within reason, don't be grunting like a Williams sister)" Were you watching the French open this weekend?


Chubby!
Welcome. And by warm I mean the ambient air temp or metal surface temp. Keep it wet and cool and make sure it doesn't stick. I disagree that it takes elbow grease. It just takes time. Just let the clay bar glide over the surface. If its sticking, more water and lube. Obviously, stay out of the sun.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.